The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Maybe 2-3 to freshen us up a bit but agree. My biggest worry is Kane though. Even before his busted ribs he was a passenger.

I'd be very suprised if we didnt use all the subs and relatively early though, keep the squad sharp. I think he will want to get this won, so he can rotate more heavily against the Czech ahead of what will like be a very tough 2nd tie

This is defo a game for Grealish against a low back 5 you'd think. I think he will stick with Foden and Sterling but Grealish defo getting a run out IMO

28 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Should be a much better game on Friday now that Scotland have lost.  They will need to come out and play a bit so hopefully nice and open.  If they'd won yesterday they would have probably shut up shop and tried to grind out a point... then people would be screaming for Southgate's head when we didn't win 5-0.

Probably still expect that in truth, as a 0-0 draw for Scotland is huge for them and leaves it in their own hands final game to go through (as 4 points in 3rd should be enough). Even a low 1-0 defeat gives them a chance. Basically they don't need to fully go for it, but hopefully they're naive and do it anyway :)

I'd think in years gone by England would see this as forgone conclusion, bit of arsehole arrogance, but Scotland were very unlucky yesterday so I can see England taking the challenge seriously.

20 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

This is defo a game for Grealish against a low back 5 you'd think. I think he will stick with Foden and Sterling but Grealish defo getting a run out IMO

The points about the Foden yellow make for an interesting thought: do you play all 3 of Mount Grealish Foden against Scotland? 

It's much better for Foden to play now risk free and sit out the last group game than play it and be suspended for any R16. 

Grealish would be great against a very low back 5

Mount is likely to play all the time unless unfit or suspended

There's little need to be coy about things: England should win comfortably on Friday. It's a mismatch all over the park. I don't perceive it as arrogance to point out what would be a routine observation if it were any other two teams playing. 

Scotland's best hope is that the football gods throw a curveball. Maybe a red card or a freak goal to defend. These things can and do happen, of course, but you can't rely on them. Just as on Monday against the Czechs, I'm hoping that the Scotland players can avoid making things easy for England. We might not be able to match the quality of your team, but we should absolutely be able to match, perhaps even best, the work rate. Every ball must be contested ferociously, and not one prisoner taken in the fifty-fifties. A full-blooded and committed performance is all we can ask for. If we lose, we lose. The world keeps turning. There's absolutely no shame in losing to a very good England team. But if they turn in a cowardly performance, it won't be so easy to forgive them. 

I hope watching Spain struggle against Sweden has given a bit of a reality check to the English fans on here that were bemoaning an unspectacular win against Croatia. Unlike us in Scotland, you should have enough tournament experience by now to know you don't turn your nose up at a win and a clean sheet. 

7 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

There's little need to be coy about things: England should win comfortably on Friday. It's a mismatch all over the park. I don't perceive it as arrogance to point out what would be a routine observation if it were any other two teams playing. 

Scotland's best hope is that the football gods throw a curveball. Maybe a red card or a freak goal to defend. These things can and do happen, of course, but you can't rely on them. Just as on Monday against the Czechs, I'm hoping that the Scotland players can avoid making things easy for England. We might not be able to match the quality of your team, but we should absolutely be able to match, perhaps even best, the work rate. Every ball must be contested ferociously, and not one prisoner taken in the fifty-fifties. A full-blooded and committed performance is all we can ask for. If we lose, we lose. The world keeps turning. There's absolutely no shame in losing to a very good England team. But if they turn in a cowardly performance, it won't be so easy to forgive them. 

I hope watching Spain struggle against Sweden has given a bit of a reality check to the English fans on here that were bemoaning an unspectacular win against Croatia. Unlike us in Scotland, you should have enough tournament experience by now to know you don't turn your nose up at a win and a clean sheet. 

I get what you mean, but it isn't any other team though. It's England vs Scotland at Wembley. If that doesn't bring blood and thunder from the Scots then no game on earth will. England might be the better team, but I can't expect anything than a ferocious, gutsy performance from Scotland, and we'll need to be on it, match that intensity

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I get what you mean, but it isn't any other team though. It's England vs Scotland at Wembley. If that doesn't bring blood and thunder from the Scots then no game on earth will. England might be the better team, but I can't expect anything than a ferocious, gutsy performance from Scotland, and we'll need to be on it, match that intensity

It does have a local derby feel to it. I hope you're right with regards to Scotland. It would be great to see a proper game between two different styles, full of commitment and passion. If Scotland should look anywhere for inspiration it ought to be at Finland and Sweden who battled heroically to get results against Denmark and Sweden respectively. 

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

Goodness, don’t bring them into it. I’m actually managing to enjoy supporting a team for a change at the moment.

The summer only lasts so long...;)

1 hour ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Marshall to score from a goal kick or to score a 50 yarder over Pickford who decides to wander outside his goal :thup:

I'd like to see us throw caution to the wind but I can't see it happening,  Another comfortable England win with Scotland having an attempt to huff and puff but achieve nothing in the end

Edited by TM

3 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Nothing is ever a forgone conclusion, albeit I think it's that mentality that can see an England win as all of them will have to be on their game, because Scotland sure will be.

1 minute ago, sc91 said:

Nothing is ever a forgone conclusion, albeit I think it's that mentality that can see an England win as all of them will have to be on their game, because Scotland sure will be.

I think you can trust Gareth Southgate to make sure the attitude is right on Friday. I don't think he'd let his players take their eye off the ball. Especially in a game that amounts to a local derby. 

Maybe Scotland can put up some resistance. We've seen defensive football triumph in a couple of games already. But England would have to really let their guard down for us to get anything. I consider this tournament to be a learning experience for Scotland. We were never going to go far into the competition. If we can even take a point from our final two games, that'd be fine by me. It's the performances more than anything that matters for us. We've got an achievable task ahead of us in our World Cup qualifying group: second place and a chance to head to the play-offs to be in Qatar next year. We've got something to build on and if we can blood in guys like Patterson and Gilmour in the next twelve months, maybe we'll be even stronger for the big one. 

9 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I think you can trust Gareth Southgate to make sure the attitude is right on Friday. I don't think he'd let his players take their eye off the ball. Especially in a game that amounts to a local derby. 

Maybe Scotland can put up some resistance. We've seen defensive football triumph in a couple of games already. But England would have to really let their guard down for us to get anything. I consider this tournament to be a learning experience for Scotland. We were never going to go far into the competition. If we can even take a point from our final two games, that'd be fine by me. It's the performances more than anything that matters for us. We've got an achievable task ahead of us in our World Cup qualifying group: second place and a chance to head to the play-offs to be in Qatar next year. We've got something to build on and if we can blood in guys like Patterson and Gilmour in the next twelve months, maybe we'll be even stronger for the big one. 

For sure, ironically one of those times having Southgate at the helm will pay off for England, as he knows what the standard required will be. Think England will be as drilled and focused as they were against Croatia which by all accounts was a perfect performance, totally marshalled the game. Not to be against Scotland that said, just it won't be that England of old with a forgone feeling of 'we can walk over these', I think it'll be mentally drilled that focus is required for the full match.

Future looks bright for Scotland, frankly against the Czechs it was bad luck, a wondergoal and a world-class keeping performance, but you made chance after chance, and were pretty entertaining by all accounts. Certainly many positives for the next tournament.

1 hour ago, sc91 said:

For sure, ironically one of those times having Southgate at the helm will pay off for England, as he knows what the standard required will be. Think England will be as drilled and focused as they were against Croatia which by all accounts was a perfect performance, totally marshalled the game. Not to be against Scotland that said, just it won't be that England of old with a forgone feeling of 'we can walk over these', I think it'll be mentally drilled that focus is required for the full match.

It's good you have Southgate and not Eddie Jones ;)

I'd probably give Maguire a start if he's close to fitness. Scotland will be a far more intense game than Czech, so will be a good test to see if he comes through it and there's no repercussions after the game. 

I think you either play Maguire now or you then only bring him in if we've had a bad defensive performance. If we play well against Scotland and Czech Rep at the back, it would make no sense to just throw Maguire in mid tournament 

Could potentially give Maguire 20 minutes or so if he's fit enough seeing as we get 5 subs but yeah I certainly wouldn't be starting him either way. 

20 minutes ago, arenaross said:

I think he'll stick with Mings for Friday then if we get a positive result the Czech match is a nice opportunity to ease Maguire back in. 

Yeah this. Give Maguire a few more days training and then bring him back into the side for the Czech game onwards. 

I'm interested in what our midfield selection is. You'd guess that Scotland will sit deep and we'll have ~70% of the ball. That does cry out for that Villa player in midfield, but who do you drop?

I'd go 433, stick Rice, Phillips or Henderson in the deep role and try Grealish and Mount centrally. Foden left, Sterling right and have a proper go.

It's weird one this game. I'm looking forward to it, hopefully atmosphere is great and obviously hope we win but I'm not feeling the rivalry like ITV are trying hype. Oldest rivalry ever! Auld enemy! 

Maybe it's just me or a generational thing (Ie I'm not a boomer) but I like Scotland. Have no dislike for them at all outside of Football or in football. Only reason I want us to beat them is because its the Euros and I wanna see us win and go far. Ideal scenario would be both Scotland and England getting out the group. 

Even listening to the players I think they are similar. I'm not buying that Raheem Sterling is desperate to bash Scotland coz it's Scotland. 

46 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

It's weird one this game. I'm looking forward to it, hopefully atmosphere is great and obviously hope we win but I'm not feeling the rivalry like ITV are trying hype. Oldest rivalry ever! Auld enemy! 

Maybe it's just me or a generational thing (Ie I'm not a boomer) but I like Scotland. Have no dislike for them at all outside of Football or in football. Only reason I want us to beat them is because its the Euros and I wanna see us win and go far. Ideal scenario would be both Scotland and England getting out the group. 

Even listening to the players I think they are similar. I'm not buying that Raheem Sterling is desperate to bash Scotland coz it's Scotland. 

All completely valid points - but just bear in mind how insufferable Scottish fans will be if they win. Even a draw they'd probably get a bit carried away with.

If they can squeak through in 3rd place by thrashing Croatia it'd be great for them though.

I don't think Scotland are that bad or we're that good, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

We need to be creative, patient and clinical and we aren't really any of those things. An early goal would obviously have a huge impact on the course of the game, but I see maybe a clunky 2-0.

25 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Haha. Came in to post my prediction and we are on 1,996 replies. It’s an omen lads.

2-0, Foden to score and do the dentists chair celebration.

You mean it's coming home at last?

I've predicted 3-0, our attack will be far too strong for them.

2 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

I'm interested in what our midfield selection is. You'd guess that Scotland will sit deep and we'll have ~70% of the ball. That does cry out for that Villa player in midfield, but who do you drop?

I'd go 433, stick Rice, Phillips or Henderson in the deep role and try Grealish and Mount centrally. Foden left, Sterling right and have a proper go.

Be the same midfield. Think Gareth (depending on Henderson fitness later in tournament instead of Phillips, but Phillips may cement his place with some more good performances) sees the front 6 that started first game as his best front 6. So it's the full backs that can be rotated depending on opposition, and Maguire back in once fit. 

Whether that's correct choice or not, time will tell. But I feel Gareth see's that as his strongest team.

• metal_guitarist changed the title to The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570