The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

having to hear about the England team and English football more than my own team and league, it can grate you a bit. But you learn to live with it :D

Same here in the US and even I get annoyed. Well, more hearing about the top 6. Footy coverage over here is basically *insert top 6 team here* v *insert their poor victims here.* Even though they have Prem Footy over here I have to listen to BBC Radio Solent when we're playing someone out of the top 6 and even a good 90% of the time we are. Grumble grumble grumble prefer the radio anyway innit grumble grumble grumble. Seriously though, I've seen the sports channels forgo Prem games, MLS games etc etc etc to show a live used car sale. 

7 hours ago, mark1985 said:

Same here in the US and even I get annoyed. Well, more hearing about the top 6. Footy coverage over here is basically *insert top 6 team here* v *insert their poor victims here.* Even though they have Prem Footy over here I have to listen to BBC Radio Solent when we're playing someone out of the top 6 and even a good 90% of the time we are. Grumble grumble grumble prefer the radio anyway innit grumble grumble grumble. Seriously though, I've seen the sports channels forgo Prem games, MLS games etc etc etc to show a live used car sale. 

You should start a Southampton inspired MLS franchise. Either that, or open a used car dealership called St Mary's :D

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

We were so slow with the ball. It was a problem all night and then we made it worse by taking the one player off who was looking to move it quickly (Foden).

I know he was off it in the first game, but felt as though we missed Walker too. The full backs seemed to be underlapping and I don’t think either Shaw or James really knew what to do. Walker is a risk taker and actually has quite penetrative passing when he’s playing well. That’s why Pep is happy to play him inside.

I would consider dropping Rice out and putting Phillips into DM for the next game. Play Foden as the 8 and get Sancho in the team out wide.

Yep.

Felt like James was told in that game to not get forward, because of the threat of Robertson behind. So he just spent all game barely crossing the half way line which was weird and made us even more blunt. As Shaw got forward on left. 

Which case, why not play Walker who’s been doing that for Man City loads, staying back and coming inside to add more numbers in middle to control game?

Just one of the many things that was weird from us and contributed to us actually losing control of the game to Scotland :D 

1 hour ago, Smallen said:

We were so slow with the ball. It was a problem all night and then we made it worse by taking the one player off who was looking to move it quickly (Foden).

I know he was off it in the first game, but felt as though we missed Walker too. The full backs seemed to be underlapping and I don’t think either Shaw or James really knew what to do. Walker is a risk taker and actually has quite penetrative passing when he’s playing well. That’s why Pep is happy to play him inside.

I would consider dropping Rice out and putting Phillips into DM for the next game. Play Foden as the 8 and get Sancho in the team out wide.

Shaw could see the problem tbf, and kept playing the one two so he could drive forwards with the ball. James looked less comfortable doing that. 

And the point playing full backs tucked in is to push the mids further up. A great time to play two of Mount Grealish Foden in the middle. If you think you want a bit more bite with your passing then Bellingham. Phillips made runs but we didn't have the passing. 

The central midfield has to be vastly different for the Czech game imo, we lost that battle and we just had sideways passes from them all game. Nobody actually taking the ball forward.

I'd love to see a          Henderson               midfield 3 personally i think there's a bit of everything in there and then we put a more conventional winger out on the right.

Foden  Mount 

Doubt Foden will play because he’s on a yellow. But expect Henderson to start with Mount. Just who alongside, give Bellingham minutes? Or play Rice as he’ll possibly be part of that midfield trio come last 16 anyway. Then Bellingham comes on for Henderson and Phillips for Mount after 60 minutes.

I'd honestly have hendo and Bellingham in a 2, tell hendo to dictate the game from deep, hes got a bit about him as a complete midfielder to do any role and jude can pretty much carry the ball alone so good balance of attack, shouldn't have to worry about defending if you can't attack well (like yesterday).

Sancho needs to start at least one game, maguire probably comes back to get minutes, rashy needs in cause he's certainly not getting fitter playing 5 minutes at the end here and there. But all that depends on kane and how he's utilised, it's like the guy is on holiday already and too many changes probably screws up the chemistry, they have enough quality alone to win and bounce back. 

Get rid of 433, doesn't fit and if it did it should've been used before the tourney started 

1 hour ago, pearcey_90 said:

Doubt Foden will play because he’s on a yellow. 

I thought yellows got wiped after the group but they don’t get wiped until after the QFs. So would definitely expect him to get rested for Czechs so he isn’t suspended for the R16... but if he then comes back for the R16 he is still one yellow away from being suspended in the quarters if we get that far.

1 hour ago, Marc Albrighton said:

The central midfield has to be vastly different for the Czech game imo, we lost that battle and we just had sideways passes from them all game. Nobody actually taking the ball forward.

I'd love to see a          Henderson               midfield 3 personally i think there's a bit of everything in there and then we put a more conventional winger out on the right.

Foden  Mount 

thought part of the problem for me was that in the first 10 minutes or so Scotland rattled England a bit, and so didn't press as aggressively as they did in the Croatia game, with Phillips in particular sitting further back. Seemed to be England felt more pressure to not lose the game rather than to win it, and they gradually took fewer risks as the game went on.

Problem I'd have with Henderson in that deep role is that he's not really that good at marking in midfield off the ball, whereas Rice or Philips are much better, though I do think tucking Foden into the midfield and using Sancho wide right could work and I'd enjoy seeing that tried.

45 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Not sure about Hendo. If he's fit enough he should definitely play but I'm not sure he is or even will be after minutes next time.

Don't forgot he actually played some of the final warm up game vs Austria.

I've been looking to see whether it's worth England trying to throw their game again, but it's not as clear cut as the World Cup was. Might actually be better winning the group. I don't think Hungary will finish 2nd, but that potential QF could be hilarious. Not sure it's worth the bother trying to get 2nd, especially as there's more jeopardy with it going wrong and potentially finishing 3rd instead.

6 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

It's opening up for us lads.  Hungary in R16, then Slovakia in the QF.

IT'S. COMING. HOME.

Just a shame that Southgate wouldn't deserve the medal because of the easy games and the failure to beat Scotland

3 minutes ago, Analog said:

This one actually made me laugh a little.  :D  NSFW, btw.

Hide contents

Top comment on YouTube and it's so true:

Alternative title: "Sterling thinks this is FIFA Pro Clubs."

Edited by craigcwwe

Honestly, it was a poor performance, but on another day we could’ve won by a couple of goals. Stones should easily score, as should Mount. The people saying Scotland deserved to win were exaggerating. BY A LOT.

Just now, Smallen said:

Honestly, it was a poor performance, but on another day we could’ve won by a couple of goals. Stones should easily score, as should Mount. The people saying Scotland deserved to win were exaggerating. BY A LOT.

Could have gone either way. They had two great chances as well.

If we had won 2-1 though, nobody would be calling for Gareth's head or demanding an inquest.  The over reaction has been absurd, especially when you look across the tournament and see France dropping points to Hungary and Belgium being outplayed and Spain stumbling to two draws.

20 minutes ago, Smallen said:

We did deserve to win. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

If we had won 2-1 though, nobody would be calling for Gareth's head or demanding an inquest.  The over reaction has been absurd, especially when you look across the tournament and see France dropping points to Hungary and Belgium being outplayed and Spain stumbling to two draws.

Not sure I'd say absurd, we are rivals with Scotland after all. 

But even if we won 1-0 off one of those chances, the "over reaction" would be completely the other way. 

In both matches the one thing you can say is the forward play isn't clicking and it didn't seem like we had much of a plan if the opposition just bypass the midfield. Croatia reaction was a slight overreaction as well. We got the job done but didn't set the game on fire.

I'd really like to see us score a couple of goals against the Czechs because the team needs it for confidence to come out the blocks a little.

As it stands it's quite possible we end up leaving the tournament scoring one goal, and not conceding any in normal time.