The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

2 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Maybe? But the difference is very negligible. Shaw isn't an exceptional full back that we must play.

Plus Trippier is better in possession and tucking in can use his right more. Trippier's left is also much better than Shaw's right

Again, not saying it was wrong, just think on that performance it's absolutely laughable for people to look back and say Southgate proved people wrong. 

That was not a good performance.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, AM99 said:

I think great performance is a bit too far - we were pretty solid at the back (albeit that may be in part to Croatia offering very little going forwards) and in general controlled the game, but we looked pretty incoherent going forwards - don't think any of our attacking options played particularly well. Still, an excellent result and definitely something to build on going forwards.

I'd agree with this. It was a solid performance for an opening game. But lots to to improve on if we are to go far.

4 minutes ago, AM99 said:

I think great performance is a bit too far - we were pretty solid at the back (albeit that may be in part to Croatia offering very little going forwards) and in general controlled the game, but we looked pretty incoherent going forwards - don't think any of our attacking options played particularly well. Still, an excellent result and definitely something to build on going forwards.

I think our issue going forward was Kane's performance. He's meant to link it together and he just couldn't get going

Great performance ffs. :D

It was a solid way to open a tournament in a way that England rarely manage and Gareth got more calls right than he got wrong. 

There's a lot to be improved upon but you don't want to be peaking in the first match anyway. If England make it to the final it'll quite possibly be a very different starting XI. That's tournament football. 

It's all got very Brexity here between people refusing to see that there's anything other than a brilliant performance or a terrible one. It was a proper 6/10.

2 minutes ago, Haguey said:

We won an opening match for the first time in forever and were never threatened. Looked in control though chances were at a premium.

Let the ABE's and weird Villa fans whine into the void. ;)

Not whining. Fair if you want to enjoy an excellent result, nonsense if you disagree with criticism of the performance.

I wouldn't describe it as a great performance but I'm genuinely absolutely baffled that anyone can think it wasn't a good performance overall. We limited Croatia to pretty much nothing, and while not exactly wonderful in attack we still created more than enough chances to win the game. I seriously don't know what more people want or expect from the first game against good opposition. 

Do some tweaks need to be made going forward? Probably. But some people are acting like we were dreadful and fluked a 1-0 ffs. It was a thoroughly deserved win.

3 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

Haha. I've never seen players stocks go up so far in a few hours like Luke Shaw and Ben Chilwell's have done today.

Imagine telling someone 6 months ago that people would be going so crazy on Shaw and Chilwell being left out ffs. :D

Shaw was player of the year at his club. Nobody said he was a must start, but then neither was Sterling and it would still have been weird to play Trippier in his place. Walker's performance didn't exactly vindicate two right backs, and Trippier wasn't great out of position either.

Just now, Pukey said:

I wouldn't describe it as a great performance but I'm genuinely absolutely baffled that anyone can think it wasn't a good performance overall. We limited Croatia to pretty much nothing, and while not exactly wonderful in attack we still created more than enough chances to win the game. I seriously don't know what more people want or expect from the first game against good opposition. 

Do some tweaks need to be made going forward? Probably. But some people are acting like we were dreadful and fluked a 1-0 ffs. It was a thoroughly deserved win.

Who is saying you fluked it? 

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

England deserved the win. They made Croatia looked bang average and it was the right result. Enjoy it ffs. :D

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Who is saying you fluked it? 

Nobody, but some of the comments in here you'd think we did. Included yours saying "This was not a good performance" which is ridiculous. There's elements that can be analysed and criticised more, but overall it was good and a very solid way to start.

Good is a bit stretched.  It was a moderate performance. Croatia were there to be beaten and we created very little.  Too defensive selection particularly at lb caused this.  Swap trippier to the right if he's that important.  Philips was great,  not sure about the rest

Just now, Pukey said:

Nobody, but some of the comments in here you'd think we did. Included yours saying "This was not a good performance" which is ridiculous. There's elements that can be analysed and criticised more, but overall it was good and a very solid way to start.

Was a bit dramatic but was more telling ajw that it wasn't a great performance than outright saying it was bad. 

Dominated the game and deserved the win. I wouldn't be happy the performance itself if I was an England fan though, but I'd enjoy the win. Weird thing is people criticising people making absolutely fair pre match observations.

I genuinely think some are underrating the impact of the heat as well, there were periods it seemed the players were just passing it around the back just to have a breather. Very difficult to have a full 90 minutes playing full pelt in that heat.

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

I genuinely think some are underrating the impact of the heat as well, there were periods it seemed the players were just passing it around the back just to have a breather. Very difficult to have a full 90 minutes playing full pelt in that heat.

Was it even 30C? :D
Even worse for Croatia then, they should all be used to 35C+ games.

There were plenty of big tournaments played in close to 40C conditions and there were never any heat excuses.

Just remember 2004-06-08 tournaments, inhuman conditions.
Then Brazil and games in the jungle.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Was it even 30C? :D
Even worse for Croatia then, they should all be used to 35C+ games.

There were plenty of big tournaments played in close to 40C conditions and there were never any heat excuses.

Then Brazil and games in the jungle.

30C is still hot, and some games in Brazil has drinks breaks. And in temperatures that warm people definitely point to the heat for a low tempo game.

10 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Some ****ers just like being contrary just to get a bite. It's painfully predictable and always the usual suspects.

Or some people just have different opinions to the masses, which get shot down as they're in a minority. I often have different opinions but get no enjoyment out of people biting.

7 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

People definitely complained about the heat in Germany 06. England’s games were all awful, rubbish tempo etc. But it was about 35 degrees and apart from the Sweden group game we had afternoon kickoffs all the way through.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Or some people just have different opinions to the masses, which get shot down as they're in a minority. I often have different opinions but get no enjoyment out of people biting.

It's the pointless arguing over semantics which grates.

Different opinions are what forums are about but being a tit about what does or doesn't constitute the definition of a good/great/solid performance is just a wankish waste of time.

2 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Why are you feeding the troll?

I mean, it's literally a fact that the players voted Targett and the fans voted more for Martinez than anyone else. Unless you're saying Villa fans are mostly wrong and dumb? ;)

It was a okay-ish performance, but good to get a win in opening game. There alot of work to be done while we go on attack, seems to be baffling at times. We didn't close down Modric, enough as he was getting more time on the ball.

Bring on Scotland :D 

Edited by john1

Grealish definitely needs to play his part in this tournament, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with Southgate's decision to play Sterling instead given how many times his pace got him in behind, and helped lead to the goal. And there was nothing wrong with him not bringing him on given we were winning (though I have reservations about subs potentially bringing more pressure on, but I don't think that happened too badly today.) 

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

Grealish definitely needs to play his part in this tournament, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with Southgate's decision to play Sterling instead given how many times his pace got him in behind, and helped lead to the goal. And there was nothing wrong with him not bringing him on given we were winning (though I have reservations about subs potentially bringing more pressure on, but I don't think that happened too badly today.) 

Agreed. Grealish will be getting his time when we need him. What an option to bring into the team. 

Just now, arenaross said:

Agreed. Grealish will be getting his time when we need him. What an option to bring into the team. 

Absolutely, and it's great knowing that if he starts he'll cause issues, but if he comes off the bench when we need a goal then that's a hell of an option too. 

1 minute ago, arenaross said:

;)

This is like Lovren at the last WC saying he was the best in the world, it's asking for a clanger next game.

Edit: although miraculously Lovren didn't mess up in the final

Edited by The_jagster

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Rooney has more football knowledge in his little toe than Haguey, the crowd pleaser from Sheffield

Likewise, so does Southgate over Baptista, who is mostly known around here for usually being wrong. ;)

4 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Not saying Foden should be dropped (I'd play both), but as I said last night I don't think Foden should be as untouchable as he is to most English fans.

Great player, potentially 1 of the best in the world, but Grealish is better.

Just now, Haguey said:

He's a fantastic player, but not better than Sterling, Foden or Sancho.

What a privilege to have so many good options though :thup:

You spelt Mount wrong. ;)