The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Feel bad for EUH who has to agree that a washed up Jose shares his opinions now.

Broken clock and all that.

To be fair, Mourinho actually talks well when he's not a manager. I've agreed with him on Messi and a number of things in the past. He's a great pundit.

Then he gets a new job, loses the plot and thinks the world is against him.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Broken clock and all that.

To be fair, Mourinho actually talks well when he's not a manager. I've agreed with him on Messi and a number of things in the past. He's a great pundit.

Then he gets a new job, loses the plot and thinks the world is against him.

Mourinho's knowledge of the game and attention to detail are phenomenal.

I just think it's one of those things that sounds great but it would require a lot of work in training.

It's almost Spain like, but even Spain had runners like Pedro. Plus Spain were better and had lots of players at two clubs

I really don't see the harm in having someone like Grealish or Foden on the bench. Those two could work with a different striker but dropping Kane would be mental

8 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

I just think it's one of those things that sounds great but it would require a lot of work in training.

It's almost Spain like, but even Spain had runners like Pedro. Plus Spain were better and had lots of players at two clubs

I really don't see the harm in having someone like Grealish or Foden on the bench. Those two could work with a different striker but dropping Kane would be mental

3 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I thought of Spain, but tbf they had both Torres and Villa running in behind.

This was Spain in the final of Euro 2012

800px-ESP-ITA_2012-07-01.svg.png 

Torres and Pedro came off the bench later in the game 

7 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

This was Spain in the final of Euro 2012

800px-ESP-ITA_2012-07-01.svg.png 

Torres and Pedro came off the bench later in the game 

Wow...where was David Villa for 2012? Can sorta remember him getting injured mid tournament but might be wrong. 08-10-12 blend in together a bit to me.

Edited by Baptista_8

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Wow...where was David Villa for 2012? Can sorta remember him getting injured mid tournament but might be wrong. 08-10-12 blend in together a bit to me.

Late tournament injury was 2008 so Torres played lone striker in the final. 2012 he'd broken his leg for Barça that season.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yeah Alba was basically a winger, loads of penetrating and overlapping runs

Yeah in a system with Grealish and Foden wide, the full backs have to make the runs, like we saw 2nd half PSG v City. When Pep told them to stay back out of fear of Mbappe, Foden and Mahrez couldn't get into the game, but as soon as he told both full backs to bomb on, it completely changed the game 

4 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Yeah in a system with Grealish and Foden wide, the full backs have to make the runs, like we saw 2nd half PSG v City. When Pep told them to stay back out of fear of Mbappe, Foden and Mahrez couldn't get into the game, but as soon as he told both full backs to bomb on, it completely changed the game 

Yeah our full backs would need to massively aggressive. Actually a system where your first point of call would have been TAA 

Agree with @Baptista_8 that you'd go with Chilwell over Shaw, I think Shaw is all round better, but Chilwell more attacking and aggressive and you need that quasi winger for full back

11 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Arbeloa kinda sticks out there :D

Gosh, what a team. 6 of the best midfielders of their generation including two all time greats. Why wouldn't you stick them all in there :D

That period from 2008-2012 was ridiculous, just winning everything. A lot of people hated it, the passing people to death, but I loved it. And that final was just incredible.

10 minutes ago, Pukey said:

That period from 2008-2012 was ridiculous, just winning everything. A lot of people hated it, the passing people to death, but I loved it. And that final was just incredible.

You can't say they didn't deserve any of those titles and that they weren't the best team, but it's not like things couldn't have easily gone either way.

Penalties in 2008 QF.

Robben's sitter in 2010 final.

Blatant robbery against Croatia in 2012, should've been out in the group. Then penalties against Portugal.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

You can't say they didn't deserve any of those titles and that they weren't the best team, but it's not like things couldn't have easily gone either way.

Penalties in 2008 QF.

Robben's sitter in 2010 final.

Blatant robbery against Croatia in 2012, should've been out in the group. Then penalties against Portugal.

Oh of course, but I'm sure most teams in history who've won stuff you could look at moments it could have gone wrong.

16 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Oh of course, but I'm sure most teams in history who've won stuff you could look at moments it could have gone wrong.

I doubt there's any successful team in history that doesn't have a "what if" moment or two

The only thing with bringing on pace late is that if we aren't ahead there is going to be no space in behind. Imo you definitely need the threat of pace from the start because it either opens up space in the middle or in behind depending on what the defence does. Grealish is good in space too but a player capable of doing something when the defence is just sitting. I don't think Rashford or Sterling is.

Edited by The_jagster

26 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Yeah the Poland game earlier this year Sterling was like our worst attacker (lost ball, wasted good chances) but also kind of our best attacker (panicked defence with his runs especially off the ball and won a pen). 

He was like good and bad at same time.

Same against San Marino, his end product was woeful, but he was just repeatedly walking through their defence and creating space for others. As soon as he went off, nothing was happening 

11 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Same against San Marino, his end product was woeful, but he was just repeatedly walking through their defence and creating space for others. As soon as he went off, nothing was happening 

Similar at the World Cup. He wasn't that good there but whenever he came off (which was every game) we were always worse

Need to watch Mike Basset at some point before the first England game, as is tradition.

I think you could do a cracking remake/sequel with him yelling at racists that boo, then having players banned for historic tweets, his star player missing a panenka etc.

2 hours ago, m_fenton said:

Need to watch Mike Basset at some point before the first England game, as is tradition.

I think you could do a cracking remake/sequel with him yelling at racists that boo, then having players banned for historic tweets, his star player missing a panenka etc.

Wasn't there a sequel in development? Sure I read about it at some point the last few years.

18 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Whoever starts Sunday, somebody decent is going to miss out. Lets just enjoy the game, the beautiful weather and hope for a win. And we can moan about who didn't play when we lose. 

Too much logic in this, delete!! ;)

15 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

In a 4 or 3 at the back? 

If its 4 at the back with Rice, Bellingham and Mount in the middle. I quite like that

The article says:

Having experimented with a back three in training, he is also giving serious consideration to sticking with the four-man defence he used during the warm-up wins over Austria and Romania.

A back four would allow Southgate to field an extra attacking player. And with Harry Kane, Mason Mount and Sterling expected to start, two of Marcus Rashford, Phil Foden and Jack Grealish would miss out.

There is a feeling in the camp Grealish will begin on the bench, despite being arguably England’s best player in the pre-tournament friendlies. Rashford remains a favourite of Southgate but is carrying niggling injuries, while Foden, 21, has just six caps and no major tournament experience.

John Stones should play at centre back and Tyrone Mings is hopeful of joining the City man in the heart of England’s defence.

Edited by Tony85

30 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

In a 4 or 3 at the back? 

If its 4 at the back with Rice, Bellingham and Mount in the middle. I quite like that

Surely it’s 3-4-3?

I don’t want sound like a broken record but wow, no other country doesn’t start Grealish. That’s not even me saying he’s better...but he simply is. He’d walk on to any team, maybe not France.