The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

One of the weaknesses of the Croatia back line is pace and trickery, and he has that in abundance. Both a safe choice in selection and a gamble in form. But we're definitely going to need Sterling to find a bit of form so understand the selection

I don't think pace is as much of a problem as pure lack of quality.
Good defenders, but not top class.
Vrsaljko's lack of games is the biggest concern.
Also, reports are now saying that Gvardiol will start over Barišić, so that's a big defensive upgrade.

Orsato in charge, shambles guaranteed.

Btw, England never won the first game on EURO, Croatia never lost the first game.

Edited by GunmaN1905

I'd probably be playing Grealish and Sterling's form is a concern, but I can see some logic to it and it doesn't mean the whole Euros is a bust now. And if he plays crap and Grealish runs them ragged from the bench, then absolutely start him next game. 

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I don't think pace is as much of a problem as pure lack of quality.
Good defenders, but not top class.
Vrsaljko's lack of games is the biggest concern.
Also, reports are now saying that Gvardiol will start over Barišić, so that's a big defensive upgrade.

Orsato in charge, shambles guaranteed.

Btw, England never won the first game on EURO, Croatia never lost the first game.

Gvardiol is very very good. Surprised he wasn't nailed to start

3 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It sounds like it's going to be Foden Kane Sterling, reading the rest of the article

I'm a neutral and watch far less of England than you guys, but this is exactly the front 3 I'd build this team around for this competition. Foden and Kane are too good, the 2 best players you guys have, undroppable. Sterling is on bad form and not as brilliant as some other options, but brings vital penetration to compensate for the tendencies of Kane to come deep, and even has the plus of being from the same club as Foden.

I'd go with that front three too. Three very different threats. 

CB is a big issue if Maguire's not in. Wouldn't be against the 3-4-3 to cover for it if he gets the personnel right and I quite like the sound of Shaw at LCB in a three. A 3-4-3 with Shaw and Walker as the outside centre backs is potentially a lot more attacking than the 4-3-3 we were playing in the friendlies. 

35 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Gvardiol is very very good. Surprised he wasn't nailed to start

He's not a full-back in attacking phase, at least not yet.

CB or LCB in back 3.

Just now, Smallen said:

A 3-4-3 with Shaw and Walker as the outside centre backs is potentially a lot more attacking than the 4-3-3 we were playing in the friendlies. 

That would be really dumb against Croatia
Rebić and Perišić would feast on those second post crosses, probably the most physical winger duo on the tournament.

You either need a back 4 or at least two proper CBs in back 3.
Playing Shaw as LCB is just asking for trouble.

Wonder which 3 players they'll leave out of the match day squad tomorrow. Must be a bit gutting to make the squad for a tournament and then have to sit in the stands without a chance of coming on at least in the first game. You imagine Maguire will miss the first game but who else?

9 hours ago, noikeee said:

I'm a neutral and watch far less of England than you guys, but this is exactly the front 3 I'd build this team around for this competition. Foden and Kane are too good, the 2 best players you guys have, undroppable. Sterling is on bad form and not as brilliant as some other options, but brings vital penetration to compensate for the tendencies of Kane to come deep, and even has the plus of being from the same club as Foden.

Have you not watched Jack Grealish before? Even your compatriot Mourinho said Kane and Grealish should be the two nailed on starters.

9 hours ago, noikeee said:

It's the style of 3 I would like us to play, but we haven't seen the best from Sterling in some time. Whether we can get it is another thing. 

I think Foden is just incredible really. The "Stockport Iniesta" thing started as a bit of a tongue in cheek thing, but i think he could genuinely become as good as Iniesta

30 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's the style of 3 I would like us to play, but we haven't seen the best from Sterling in some time. Whether we can get it is another thing. 

I think Foden is just incredible really. The "Stockport Iniesta" thing started as a bit of a tongue in cheek thing, but i think he could genuinely become as good as Iniesta

I really don't think people fully understand how incredible the likes of Foden and Sancho are.

I have watched a lot of Saka and he's an exceptional talent. Yet these two are better. It's mind blowing

Assuming Southgate goes 3-4-3 tomorrow, I don’t see where Grealish gets in. We know Sterling’s starting, and we know he likes compact players in the middle. So it has to be of the wings up for grabs, which you’d think Foden will be taking. 

36 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Was Iniesta this good at Foden's age? Genuine question as I've no idea. Obviously Iniesta was just a ridiculously brilliant player, but I don't think it's impossible for Foden to reach that level.

1 minute ago, ryan045 said:

Assuming Southgate goes 3-4-3 tomorrow, I don’t see where Grealish gets in. We know Sterling’s starting, and we know he likes compact players in the middle. So it has to be of the wings up for grabs, which you’d think Foden will be taking. 

I know it’s almost blasphemy on here but I think Grealish is better than Foden...currently.

Foden’s gonna overtake him pretty quickly I’d bet and the sky is the limit for him, but if you ask me Grealish is the better player right now.

As I said though, it’s a travesty if 2 of Sancho/Rashford/Sterling play. If one plays and Grealish is benched for Mount/Foden, I’d disagree but not a huge deal.

5 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Was Iniesta this good at Foden's age? Genuine question as I've no idea. Obviously Iniesta was just a ridiculously brilliant player, but I don't think it's impossible for Foden to reach that level.

Don’t think so. He was very good under Rijkaard but had a lot of injury problems and struggled to nail down a position. Was used in a holding role even at times if memory serves :D

7 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I know it’s almost blasphemy on here but I think Grealish is better than Foden...currently.

Foden’s gonna overtake him pretty quickly I’d bet and the sky is the limit for him, but if you ask me Grealish is the better player right now.

As I said though, it’s a travesty if 2 of Sancho/Rashford/Sterling play. If one plays and Grealish is benched for Mount/Foden, I’d disagree but not a huge deal.

That's what annoys me how some people autopick Foden over Grealish. Does Foden have the mentality of Grealish where he can take a game by the scruff of the neck? Not sure he does. He always gets praised for his 'personality', which IMO is key.

Edited by Baptista_8

4 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

That's what annoys me how some people autopick Foden over Grealish. Does Foden have the mentality of Grealish where he can take a game by the scruff of the neck? Not sure he does. He always gets praised for his 'personality', which IMO is key.

Are you for real :D

3 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I think Foden can do that as well in fairness. Just think he doesn’t need to as often for City. 

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I think Foden can do that as well in fairness. Just think he doesn’t need to as often for City. 

Fair. I think Grealish will do it whatever team he's in, just his mentality.

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

Foden literally stood up and took games by scruff of the neck this 2nd half of season for Man City. 

I want them both to start anyway, but to choose between the two, I'd take Grealish.

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

Foden literally stood up and took games by scruff of the neck this 2nd half of season for Man City. 

Yeah, in Europe too. The kid is incredible. Obviously he’s nowhere near Messi but he reminds me of him in the sense that you don’t want to make him angry. He’ll skin you inside out if you try kick him out of the game.

21 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

He only did it for the best team in the country :D 

Foden is a monster. If it has to be him or Grealish. It's Foden for me. Foden is the only player who if didn't start I'd be angry (well and Kane too). He's potentially a generational talent. Has to play. 

He isn't scared of anything. See it in the interviews this week. The history of failure for England means nothing to him. I don't think he feels the pressure at all. Obviously, because what tit copies Gazza'd hair and gets called Gazza in training at his first international comp at 21 years old ffs :D

Any scenario where England win the Euros involves Foden tearing it up.

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Foden is a monster. If it has to be him or Grealish. It's Foden for me. Foden is the only player who if didn't start I'd be angry (well and Kane too). He's potentially a generational talent. Has to play. 

He isn't scared of anything. See it in the interviews this week. The history of failure for England means nothing to him. I don't think he feels the pressure at all. Obviously, because what tit copies Gazza'd hair and gets called Gazza in training at his first international comp at 21 years old ffs :D

Any scenario where England win the Euros involves Foden tearing it up.

I'm a United fan, but I genuinely love this kid. He has everything to be a generational great. Absolutely unfazed. And while people lose their minds over Grealish or no Grealish, he just ****ing does it all 

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

I'd rather share the same opinion as Mourinho than you lot on here tbf :thup:

If we want to play that game, I'd take the opinion of arguably the best manager in the world in Pep calling Foden the most talented player he has ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

If we want to play that game, I'd take the opinion of arguably the best manager in the world in Pep calling Foden the most talented player he has ever seen. 

Fair one! But he hadn't seen Grealish properly when he said that ;)