The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

I mean true, JWP is at the moment virtually peerless in Europe at dead balls, but it's hardly a disaster if we don't take him is what I'm saying - I think the side would lose a lot more in not having Bellingham's guile in the midfield (assuming it'd be he who loses out if JWP were getting into the team) than not having his free kicks.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Think White will be much closer to the starting 11 than JWP would have been

Absolutely. Really can't understand why anyone is upset by it at all.

11 minutes ago, Hazzaj said:

I mean true, JWP is at the moment virtually peerless in Europe at dead balls, but it's hardly a disaster if we don't take him is what I'm saying - I think the side would lose a lot more in not having Bellingham's guile in the midfield (assuming it'd be he who loses out if JWP were getting into the team) than not having his free kicks.

No I agree with that, I really hope Bellingham starts

I've got the horrible sinking feeling that with all the attacking flair players who can control a football in the side, that Southgate will just still stubbornly revert to type and it'll be woefully out of form Sterling and Rashford out on the wings to run in behind and it will all be very one-dimensional. When they should be about England's 6th and 7th choice wingers right now.

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Do we think Shaw is a shoe in at left back?

Not a shoe-in, but I think he'll likely start.

Tbf, the running joke about Chilwell at Leicester was that he's allergic to the cold as he'd always start and end a season really well, but then go missing over the winter months. He seemed to follow exactly that same pattern for Chelsea this season again as well. So he might actually be great in a summer tournament and the player to play! :p

1 hour ago, MIR17 said:

I've got the horrible sinking feeling that with all the attacking flair players who can control a football in the side, that Southgate will just still stubbornly revert to type and it'll be woefully out of form Sterling and Rashford out on the wings to run in behind and it will all be very one-dimensional. When they should be about England's 6th and 7th choice wingers right now.

I think this is quite likely as well. 

11 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Christ, Germany winning 7-1 :D 

Never write them off etc.

They were playing against utter crap, but what was night and day compared to us, the movement and link up play of their players. Also how quick they were moving the ball, zipping it around with real purpose to proper open Latvia up. Whilst our two games it's been all 2nd gear, till someone grabs hold of it dribble past a few players.

Obviously Germany had their big guns, and we haven't yet. But we need to come out first game (or at least one in group stage) playing at a tempo like that. Because even though Germany played against weak opposition, they showed they can up that tempo loads, which we haven't yet.

11 hours ago, MIR17 said:

I mean all of this is a nailed on certainty surely? 

Foden getting five minutes at the end when we've failed to create anything, then later the camera pans to Grealish sat in the stands with his bib still on.

9 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Neither, I'd use Sancho. 

And it doesn't stop us using Grealish properly out wide with someone like Shaw. I still maintain you can field 2 of Grealish/Foden/Mount at all times, and even play all 3

Sancho isn't going to start though is he? Even in the 2 games he's had the chance to impress, he hasn't done anything to warrant starting over Sterling/Foden whilst they've been away

Kane

Grealish   Mount   Foden

Bellingham    Rice

Could work imo

This is the problem with 343. It's either Foden or Grealish really on that left side.  So the answer then is 433 but then our defence is terrible and you are packing the midfield a bit light so it's going to be even more exposed. 

Everybody says so and so has to play but it's pretty tough to get it balanced. Somebody a few pages back said Bellingham and Henderson should both start. But how on earth do you do that along with Mount and Grealish and Foden and Sancho etc etc.

Whatever happens Sunday people are going to be disappointed because somebody talented is going to be on the bench. 

Just now, skybluedave said:

This is the problem with 343. It's either Foden or Grealish really on that left side.  So the answer then is 433 but then our defence is terrible and you are packing the midfield a bit light so it's going to be even more exposed. 

Everybody says so and so has to play but it's pretty tough to get it balanced. Somebody a few pages back said Bellingham and Henderson should both start. But how on earth do you do that along with Mount and Grealish and Foden and Sancho etc etc.

Whatever happens Sunday people are going to be disappointed because somebody talented is going to be on the bench. 

I'm quite happy having some on the bench. My issue is the formation setup is flawed in a 3-4-3. 

Id only have one of Grealish/Foden on the wing, so we've got someone on the other flank making space, and crucially the runs that keep people occupied. 

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Foden started his last 2 games for England on the right 

Left or right then, doesn't matter what side. I said left coz Grealish is best there and Foden played there for Man City. But my point is it's likely one of Foden or Grealish out wide one side. And a Sancho, Sterling or Rashford the other side.  That's vibe I've been getting. 

37 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Would people prefer an out of form Sterling out wide, or a not properly used Grealish? 

Pretty sure Southgate will serve up both of these, not sure you would need to choose.

• Administrators

Bought an official England onesie on Amazon which arrived today, just to wear while watching the games this summer. :D 

53 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I mean all of this is a nailed on certainty surely? 

Foden getting five minutes at the end when we've failed to create anything, then later the camera pans to Grealish sat in the stands with his bib still on.

This does sound about right to me. Can't imagine Gareth being bold enough to drop Sterling. 

6 minutes ago, Haguey said:

More respect for our World Cup semi finalist, 3rd best in Europe manager please.

I love Gareth tbf.  When it gets to a big tournament so much of it comes down to man management and getting the mood and the attitude right in the team camp.  Compared to the squads of old it's a joy to watch these lads mucking about together and really enjoying being there.  That can take us a long way.  But let's not pretend Southgate is a master tactician.  I mean we've had master tacticians before and look how badly they've done. 

42 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Pickford the hero and Dier thunderc**ting the winner home :mad: :*)

Henderson missing one too, probably shouldn't be taking them...

When he took the ball off DCL on Sunday to take the penalty I just thought of the Colombia game and his penalty miss. Was so obvious he wouldn't score the other day.

33 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

That moment when Dier stepped up and everybody was thinking 'what? is there nobody else' :D

That's all I want from England, just give me a nice moment. You don't have to win the bloody thing but just give me a nice memory.

This is exactly it. Those that moan we 'lucked out' and that we were actually terrible don't deserve any good feelings from football, especially those England fans who think this.

Info for anyone who may still have tickets.

England's Euro 2020 group games at Wembley Stadium will be the first sporting event at which vaccine passports will be used in the UK.

UK-based ticket holders aged 11 or over must show proof of full vaccination, with both doses having been received at least 14 days before the match.

Those not fully vaccinated must show proof of a negative lateral flow test taken within the previous 48 hours.

England play Croatia in their opening group game on Sunday.

Ticket holders for matches taking place at Hampden Park will not be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test.

Fans who live in England attending games at Wembley must show their vaccination status via the NHS app.

Wembley will host a maximum of 22,500 fans - 25% of its capacity - for England's group D fixtures against Croatia, Scotland and Czech Republic.

The stadium is also due to host a last-16 tie as well as both semi-finals and the final.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57404223

7 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

When he took the ball off DCL on Sunday to take the penalty I just thought of the Colombia game and his penalty miss. Was so obvious he wouldn't score the other day.

I think he wanted to erase that pen from being his most recent pen for England incase he take's one in a shoot out again.