The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

12 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

I mean their back five is pretty terrible. Half of them probably aren’t even full time players by the looks of it.

If anyone else posted this, I'd be sure they're trolling.

But since it's you, it's just sad that someone could be so ignorant.

You're like a stereotype of why everyone dislikes Liverpool and England fans.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, TM said:

away from everyone hunting Southgate for a lineup seen on Twitter, I have to agree about Greenwood.  I've noticed he's played as a 2nd striker although a lot of the time he's on the right wing and in my honest opinion, he's got the skills to be a clinical striker who can get 15-20+ goals a season which is why I don't get how he's always on a wing?

will only get better learning from Cavani as well, one of the best strikers in Europe for well over a decade

Cavani is a better player currently, but clear that Greenwood is learning a huge amount. Its also the necessity of a lack of right winger. I think if we sort out Sancho we'll see him central a lot more often.  

13 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Leaking the line up over four hours before KO. Absolute complete and utter w a n k e r.

It's a best guess based what he could glean from whatever access he had to the last training session.

The tabloids have been doing this for years ffs, printing an expected lineup in the morning papers.

Might be right, might be wrong.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

As bad a post as ryan's post is - it would be nice if you had some kind of self-awareness and realise that you're guilty of making posts of a similar standard at times. Your bias about Italian football, hatred of anything that has any kind of link to English football, laughable fascination with Juventus or exaggeration of anything Inter based is remarkable.

17 minutes ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

It's a 26 man squad. I'll throw in Dion Dublin and Emile Heskey for the classic hoof it plan b too

Well that's good, because I've just put my England Heskey shirt on and I'm ready to go. World in Motion on, beers are cooling nicely, the sun is...somewhere behind the clouds. LET'S GO.

4 minutes ago, Tony85 said:

As bad a post as ryan's post is - it would be nice if you had some kind of self-awareness and realise that you're guilty of making posts of a similar standard at times. Your bias about Italian football, hatred of anything that has any kind of link to English football, laughable fascination with Juventus or exaggeration of anything Inter based is remarkable.

I at least watch the games so I can be biased. And I try to make a discussion out of it.

I doubt he's seen 5 games this season that aren't Liverpool games or top derbies in EPL.

5 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

Gvardiol is a massive talent. Vrsaljko would be really good if he wasn't injured so often and the CB duo is fine. :D

Livakovic is really good too.

Vrsaljko could be exploited if his fitness isn't ready, that right side of defense is England's biggest chance.

We'll see how Gvardiol does under pressure.

I just found it funny how someone talks about questionable defense and there are reports Trippier is starting on LB and Mings is just an average EPL defender.

Of course there will be some disappointment if that is the starting 11 but on the other hand the likes of Rashford, Sancho and Grealish are proper game changers and when was the last time England had that kind of depth to call upon? Stop being negative and enjoy the ride - it's tournament football!! :D 

It's only really a RB at Lb I'm confused about, the rest makes sense to me. Seems the plan will be for Rice and Phillips to try and stifle their midfield, with Mount in there to help drive us forward and feed a front 3 that can cause anyone problems even out of form. 

Looking forward to it, we've certainly got a chance. 

12 minutes ago, Pukey said:

It's only really a RB at Lb I'm confused about, the rest makes sense to me. Seems the plan will be for Rice and Phillips to try and stifle their midfield, with Mount in there to help drive us forward and feed a front 3 that can cause anyone problems even out of form. 

Presume it's to play as an inverted full back, narrow and almost as second DM, Walker to go flying up the right flank

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Presume it's to play as an inverted full back, narrow and almost as second DM, Walker to go flying up the right flank

I'd have thought Rice and Phillips would both be DMs though. Mind you, he has played Phillips more B2B before, which is a bit baffling considering the role that made him good at Leeds but there you go. He probably wants to give the midfield as much help as possible though, yeah.

17 minutes ago, Pukey said:

If Bellingham plays that gives us more opportunity to control the midfield ourselves rather than just trying to stifle theirs. Guess him being 17 goes against him.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

If Bellingham plays that gives us more opportunity to control the midfield ourselves rather than just trying to stifle theirs. Guess him being 17 goes against him.

In fairness, while Phillips is obviously a DM his performances have helped us control the midfield absolutely loads before. You can control it by stifling the opposition so they have no chance to play, then build attacks from there. Bellingham is going to be an absolute star though.

Pretty sure if Trippier is in there it is with the set pieces in mine. Said this loads of times, you score so many goals from set pieces at big international tournaments. How many times has a FK or a goal from a corner made the difference in a big England game. I don’t think it’s crazy to have someone in the side specifically with that in mind.

Probably would play him at RB and stick with a natural LB on the other side. But then Walker at RB and you keep the Walker-Stones partnership together from club level. No bad thing if Maguire is out and there’s a gamble on the other less experienced CB.

Time to get behind Gareth whatever the team. By the time we’ve played all seven matches and won the thing everyone will have had plenty of minutes.

Is it worth playing Trippier out of position with benching both Shaw & Chilwell just for his set pieces? Why not call up Ward-Prowse for that, and play him next to Rice? If it's really about 'open play' discussions, is Trips out of position that much better than having JWP in his actual position? And not have either Shaw/Chilwell (who are great from open play and are actual set piece takers at their clubs btw) from the start? Why not play Trippier at RB instead? It's the most logical reasoning of them all. Playing him ahead of Walker and James there is a stronger argument to make. 

1 hour ago, ryan045 said:

B956D5C4-8C02-4791-B9B9-7DDD8D541E1E.thumb.png.89e0d23d2030fd91533e679019a81d82.png

I mean their back five is pretty terrible. Half of them probably aren’t even full time players by the looks of it.

Just because you havent heard of their defence does not mean they are amateurs. You surely remember Vida, the ponytail guy from the World Cup?

You know what is worse, the squad numbers. 11 in defensive midfieldm 4 on the left wing, 9 on the right wing. Games completely gone.
I'm just waitng for a nation to have a number 9 at full-back and a number 7 in central defence.

12 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Absolutely no chance Trippier is picked purely for set pieces.

If he is an 8/10 LB but also our best set piece taker you pick him ahead of an 9/10 LB against our best opponent where a set piece could decide a tight game. Against Scotland probably Luke Shaw or Chilwell comes back in.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand. 

28 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I'd have thought Rice and Phillips would both be DMs though. Mind you, he has played Phillips more B2B before, which is a bit baffling considering the role that made him good at Leeds but there you go. He probably wants to give the midfield as much help as possible though, yeah.

It's apparently a 4-3-3. If so then tucking Tripper in when on the ball allows us to hopefully outnumber Croatia's midfield a lot more and play higher up the pitch. We'll have to see what we actually do, bit if it's that's, that's actually quite aggressive for an opening game

I think Ryan was on a windup and reeled in the fish he wanted to tbh. He was just more subtle this time than he was with Southampton.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

If he is an 8/10 LB but also our best set piece taker you pick him ahead of an 9/10 LB against our best opponent where a set piece could decide a tight game. Against Scotland probably Luke Shaw or Chilwell comes back in.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand. 

I get that logic.

Not sure he's an 8/10 left back though. I'd have him way below Chilwell/Shaw.

4 minutes ago, av3ry said:

You know what is worse, the squad numbers. 11 in defensive midfieldm 4 on the left wing, 9 on the right wing. Games completely gone.
I'm just waitng for a nation to have a number 9 at full-back and a number 7 in central defence.

Kramarić and Rebić will change positions often, I can't see Kramarić running up and down the right all game long, he's a second striker, not that useful wide, especially not on the right.

Perišić's favorite number is 4, what can you do. :D

I loved how England usually had 1-11 for the first game of the tournament in 2000s.

As for Trippier, I just don't understand. Right side of Croatia's defense is there for the taking with unfit Vrsaljko, Chiwell or even Shaw would cause massive trouble. Idk how much can right-footed Trippier do, especially with another player who needs to cut inside.

I think it comes down to what you want Tripper to do, really. If he's tucking in to allow the midfield to outnumber and play higher up the pitch and constantly on the front foot, I'm all for that. Getting the ball constantly into the likes of Foden much closer to goal would be a huge advantage

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

:D come on I’m only playing with you.

10 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

I don't think for a moment Trippier would be in at left back just for set pieces, if he's in its for tactical reasons

Foden takes set pieces for City when KDB isn't playing, it's not like there isn't other options 

You want Foden in the box for corners and deeper free kicks though, getting on the end of a decent ball in.

I mean, I'm not a big fan of Trippier playing as a makeshift LB ahead of a LB that has just won the Champions League.  But I also remember 3-4 tournaments after Beckham had gone where we got set pieces in dangerous areas and you never had that same confidence that something could happen.  If it's 0-0 in the last half hour and we get a corner or a wide freekick over on the touchline... you want someone who can give you a quality ball in 19 times out of 20 not 15 times out of 20.  This is how tournament matches are won and lost.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

You want Foden in the box for corners and deeper free kicks though, getting on the end of a decent ball in.

I mean, I'm not a big fan of Trippier playing as a makeshift LB ahead of a LB that has just won the Champions League.  But I also remember 3-4 tournaments after Beckham had gone where we got set pieces in dangerous areas and you never had that same confidence that something could happen.  If it's 0-0 in the last half hour and we get a corner or a wide freekick over on the touchline... you want someone who can give you a quality ball in 19 times out of 20 not 15 times out of 20.  This is how tournament matches are won and lost.

Does Foden score a lot by getting on the end of set pieces?

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Does Foden score a lot by getting on the end of set pieces?

You don't clamour for him to start for weeks because he's this amazing attacking talent, then leave him 40 yards from goal floating in the deep free kicks so that you can pick a different left back.

Look at all the stick Hodgson got when Kane was on corners at Euro 2016 instead of sniffing around for a loose ball in the box.

All I ever want if for players to play somewhere near their abilities cause I always think results can follow that

There's been so many tournaments down the years that finish and you think 'who really did themselves justice' and you can barely name a person. Last World Cup there were a few playing well and you really really need a few guys hitting their stride to make a dent in a tournament, especially with some ****** 2nd round game (yes, IF we get through, OMG arrogant English, etc etc!)

Hopefully guys like Foden and Sancho can really stand out, Kane too, obviously, we'll need that and hopefully the centre backs are error free (Hi, John Stones!)

Come one, England!

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

You don't clamour for him to start for weeks because he's this amazing attacking talent, then leave him 40 yards from goal floating in the deep free kicks so that you can pick a different left back.

Look at all the stick Hodgson got when Kane was on corners at Euro 2016 instead of sniffing around for a loose ball in the box.

I mean, anyone can get on the end of a loose ball in the box. Not a lot of attacking talent needed to do that.

Worst thing for me about the line-up he's picked is starting both Rice and Phillips, really expected Southgate to know better as the times they've played together before it didn't play to either players' strengths. Hope we see Grealish in at some point too, that right side of Croatia's defence looks really ropey and someone like him running at them should cause all kinds of problems.