The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

If we had won 2-1 though, nobody would be calling for Gareth's head or demanding an inquest.  The over reaction has been absurd, especially when you look across the tournament and see France dropping points to Hungary and Belgium being outplayed and Spain stumbling to two draws.

Not sure I'd say absurd, we are rivals with Scotland after all. 

But even if we won 1-0 off one of those chances, the "over reaction" would be completely the other way. 

In both matches the one thing you can say is the forward play isn't clicking and it didn't seem like we had much of a plan if the opposition just bypass the midfield. Croatia reaction was a slight overreaction as well. We got the job done but didn't set the game on fire.

I'd really like to see us score a couple of goals against the Czechs because the team needs it for confidence to come out the blocks a little.

As it stands it's quite possible we end up leaving the tournament scoring one goal, and not conceding any in normal time.

I just noticed Wales will be playing the Group B runner up in the next round, what a freaking cushy draw that is and we're over here stuck with playing Germany/France/Portugal, etc if we manage to beat the Czechs - sheesh

tbf this Euros has been missing a good hotel shambles so far. Usually an ENGLAND HOTEL FARCE because we are booked too close to town where’s it’s noisy or because we are booked too far away from town where the players can’t have anything to do. Not forgetting the “arrogance” because we have booked our hotel through to the final but also the “lack of confidence” because we also have booked flights home after each knockout match in case we need them.

Wow.  Jack Grealish has been through some stuff.  I didn't know the back story.  The more I hear from him the more I like him.  Absolutely brilliant player as well!  :thup:

My God Southgate doesn't half come out with some rubbish.

‘We’ve got some explosive options and a lot of them are young players and experiencing a big tournament for the first time.

‘So as a coaching staff we are realistic about our expectations of them as individuals.

‘Jadon is in that mix. He’s trained well the last few days and of course we have got those options and those decisions to make.’

Why bother taking him then?

Loads of people will care :D Coming 2nd in this group is poor going, especially when at the moment winning the group potentially puts you on a very favourable side of the draw depending on who wins Group E.

Win group, potential run of Germany, Sweden (QF again), Holland then final.

2nd, Spain, France, Italy then final.

Plus winning the group is home advantage in L16 and shorter trip in QF. Winning the group gives a positive mindset, and psychological good moving forward which this side needs.

43 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

‘We’ve got some explosive options and a lot of them are young players and experiencing a big tournament for the first time.

‘So as a coaching staff we are realistic about our expectations of them as individuals.

‘Jadon is in that mix. He’s trained well the last few days and of course we have got those options and those decisions to make.’

Sancho has more top-flight league appearances, and more Champions league appearances, than Phil Foden and Mason Mount, who've started both games.  Baffling argument.

2 minutes ago, bigdunk said:

Sancho has more top-flight league appearances, and more Champions league appearances, than Phil Foden and Mason Mount, who've started both games.  Baffling argument.

Then you have Foden, Phillips, Rice, Mings, James, maybe even Shaw? Who have no tournament experience but have all started games.

This is why I don't like Southgate, he's very rarely direct, and I can see him being the same with his players.

Why would he say that as a reason as to why he's being left out :confused:

Just be honest about why he's being left out. Not some crappy argument that literally everyone can see is ********.

All he needs to say is something like "I prefer the balance of having a pacy threat in behind on one side and a clever player tucking in on the other, and I'm happy with how Sterling is filling the first role, Sancho will get his chance".  You can disagree with his preference, or his rating of how Sterling has done, but at least it's a rational and coherent argument.

11 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, how weird that Southgate isn’t telling the press that Sancho is a world beater and heaping loads of pressure on him to perform. That usually works really really well.

Yep, that's literally the only other option to the nonsense he came out with.

But his answer is always the same.  Whether he's being asked about Foden, Grealish, Sancho, Saka, Reece James, Rice, Phillips whoever.  Lots of good young players, lots of options, everyone is pushing for their chance, first big tournament for a lot of these lads etc. etc.  Not singling anybody out or building them up ahead of the others.

This is how he's built an actual squad during his time as manager, rather than just throwing together an assortment of the best individuals.  He's got 25 players who have all had experience at different times and been played in different games in different systems.  And any of them can swap in or out to do a job on the day without it being a massive story.  Better this than England managers of old... everyone in the country knows their best eleven and then when one of them goes down injured or suspended everybody is looking at the subs and bricking it because they don't think the replacement is as good.

Edited by Rob1981

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Yeah I was going to make a post about that the other day but decided against it. It's a strange one, I feel like Sancho is underappreciated in this country, he's really rather good and we should use him more often. Southgate talks about him like he's just broken through in the men's game when, in reality, he's been putting up fantastic numbers in terms of goals and assists ever since he went to Dortmund, three really good seasons back to back. 

Don't expect him to start the game tonight but I'd mix it up a bit and go Grealish and Sancho on the wings. 

Edited by craigcwwe

22 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

But his answer is always the same.  Whether he's being asked about Foden, Grealish, Sancho, Saka, Reece James, Rice, Phillips whoever.  Lots of good young players, lots of options, everyone is pushing for their chance, first big tournament for a lot of these lads etc. etc.  Not singling anybody out or building them up ahead of the others.

This is how he's built an actual squad during his time as manager, rather than just throwing together an assortment of the best individuals.  He's got 25 players who have all had experience at different times and been played in different games in different systems.  And any of them can swap in or out to do a job on the day without it being a massive story.  Better this than England managers of old... everyone in the country knows their best eleven and then when one of them goes down injured or suspended everybody is looking at the subs and bricking it because they don't think the replacement is as good.

I'm beginning to think you're Southgates PR agent as you won't hear a bad word against him. 

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Serves them right for cuddling an opposition player. Probably just me but i hate things like club teammates or not. Just a simple hand shake would do.

Just now, Astafjevs said:

That's pretty big in terms of who takes Mount's spot. Chilwell is straightforward, but not sure what you do with Mount. Grealish? Foden central? Henderson?

Bellingham has to be considered now, though he's not got any previous tournament experience so guess that rules him out...

But then how does he get tournament experience without playing?

So if my maths is right, if we finish top of the group, Mount and Chilwell can play in the round of 16 on the 29th. If we finish 2nd, they can't play on the 28th?

Just now, VP. said:

Bellingham has to be considered now, though he's not got any previous tournament experience so guess that rules him out...

But then how does he get tournament experience without playing?

There has been talk that Bellingham is starting, but along with Rice and Phillips. I would much prefer Rice or Phillips to be dropped, Bellingham to start deeper and someone else to be tried in the Mount role.

So if we win the group our R16 game is on Tuesday 29th and they can be out of isolation. If we are 2nd in the group we play on Monday 28th so they would be unavailable.

I mean it’s a bit farcical, especially if they’ve returned negative tests but there you are. Guess that’s another reason to go for the throat tonight and then we would play a day later if we win.

8 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

That's pretty big in terms of who takes Mount's spot. Chilwell is straightforward, but not sure what you do with Mount. Grealish? Foden central? Henderson?

It's Grealish all day. And could be the lucky break we need when he excels.

Just now, Astafjevs said:

Would they be able to play anyway? I assume 10 days isolation means they won't have trained.

They're training away from the rest of the squad. But they'll presumably have missed any tactical sessions/meetings etc, so that might count against them.

9 minutes ago, bigdunk said:

So if my maths is right, if we finish top of the group, Mount and Chilwell can play in the round of 16 on the 29th. If we finish 2nd, they can't play on the 28th?

Would be pretty mad to throw them back in without training with the squad.

Chilwell Euros is over really, as he won't be able to slide into a team that's worked on a shape. Mount different matter, as he'd be sliding into a team shape that he's already played 2 games for in.

Edited by pearcey_90

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

Chilwell Euros is over really, as he won't be able to slid into a team that's worked on a shape. Mount different matter, as he'd be sliding into a team shape that he's already played 2 games for in.

It's a shame because he's comfortably our best fullback when it comes to the final third

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I mean it’s a bit farcical, especially if they’ve returned negative tests but there you are

A negative test means nothing, it can take days for Covid to show up on tests, as I experienced myself. The whole thing is a farce really, testing a squad and then allowing them to train together means nothing, anyone could have it in their system and be passing it 

Thats how its been since football was allowed to restart however, there isn't really another way around it 

Yeah I feel really sorry for Chilwell, finished the season strongly, played exceptionally well in the CL final, and will probably not start a game and may even get zero minutes :(  

The farce is that Scotland are fine but Chilwell and Mount aren't. I don't have a problem with them having to isolate but the idea that they are closer contacts than the Scotland squad seems bizarre. There's the dressing room, the tunnel before kickoff, the coach let alone the training ground and social stuff at the camp.

Edited by The_jagster

I'd move Foden into middle and Grealish out wide. Sterling or Sancho on right. 

More likely Grealish centre though as Southgate only plays Foden wide and Grealish played 10 in the friendlies. 

Or we see the return of 343!!

• metal_guitarist changed the title to The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570