Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since 1on1's are missed most of the time, if you only watch the goals in AI vs AI matches, majority of them are still scored the same way as in FM 19, which are crosses, crosses, set piece, crosses, set piece... SI will hopefully manage not to take the through balls completely out of the game, which would produce another dull ME.

I'm in season 3 with a team considered weak in Spain(Second Division). Hired great defenders, I'm playing with high lines and the long balls haven't caused me any problems, I'm really surprised. My center forward despite losing a lot of 1vs1 is my team's top scorer for the second year in a row

1 hour ago, Sharkn20 said:

So true 🤣🤣🤣

The amount of people who think the staff responsibility section is only one screen is frightening. He goes on about it being colour coded...it literally is within the individual sections. That main overview is just that. An overview.

Also, right clicking the Dev centre gives you easy access to all your youth teams. 

He's the same as Lollujo, plays the game for a whole year, and has no idea what half the buttons do. Lollujo still hasn't realised there's a quick sub button on match days. 

1 hour ago, KUBI said:

Because it's not that easy as it looks. If you want to record good sounds, you need to do it in a stadium. And for that you need a permission and a license to use it in the game. 

There are good stadium sounds to download from the internet

13 minutes ago, erjonpepa2017 said:

only if I knew it before I bought the fm 2020 tho . thnx very much for all the info 

If you bought it direct from Steam, you should be able to contact them for a refund.

7 hours ago, j4y_z said:

Yes. So why didn't you try out the demo before buying?

I play almost exclusively with custom databases, which the demo doesn't allow you to use. I bought the full game and it has all sorts of problems loading custom dbs - the fault is the game's, not the databases themselves. There was no way of knowing this without buying the full game. As someone else also mentioned, the ME used in the demo was an old version, even by Miles' own admission so this argument is moot in terms of talking about the ME.

Finally had to go back to FM 17. Having a blast with that ME, seeing all kinds of attacking moves and goals. I just wish that the newgens and the AI player development was half as good as FM 20 :( If you have that game, I strongly recommend taking a break from FM 20 until the ME issues are fixed. The ME in FM 17 felt like a breath of fresh air lol. I really tried to accept this latest ME with it's deficiencies, and for a while I enjoyed it within the confines of my tactical setup which produced better football than most I see on youtube, but at the end of the day the attacking moves, defenders' reactions and the goals created are the bread and butter of this game, and it just isn't there still, since FM 19. The ME has fundamentally changed with the introduction of the new TC, which channels the attacking moves towards the wide areas on a consistent basis, because every team defends too narrow. The only option left for central play are those long balls. They should be there for the sake of variety, but they should not be generated due to zombi center backs. When they are successful, the 1on1's should be scored a lot more often. That will be a start to get things back on track. Improved defenders reaction should hopefully also reduce the number of goals from crosses and set pieces. You might think that that will reduce the overall number of goals drastically, and it will, but if you can compensate that with the significantly increased 1on1 conversion rate, things should be fine.

Forget statistics, soak tests for a minute. While watching the  matches, if you find yourself getting more hopeful for a goal when your winger is about to cross the ball, vs your striker being 1on1 with the keeper, you know that it is just wrong.

Edited by bleventozturk

2 hours ago, rjferguson90 said:

Really good post.

I wanted to post last night in response to @JordanMillward_1 post but wasn't sure how to word it, you have put it the best I have seen on here.

But just a further point with regards to point 2 you make @JordanMillward_1: The steam 'reviews' are really skewed. I bought the game and have left a review on there, however it doesn't count though and isn't counted towards the overall feedback percentage as I didn't buy the game from Steam. Only reviews from users who bought the game directly from Steam count towards their rating feedback. 

Now, we obviously don't know how many people bought the game from Steam compared to other selling sites, but I would take an educated guess and suggest that most long term players did not buy directly from Steam. I have been playing CM/FM from day one and have only ever once bought directly from Steam, that was when SI were offering the loyalty discount. Other times I have bought through FM Scout, SortitoutSI etc etc. 

And your point about the community here being a tiny percentage of the total players may not be correct either. How do you know? We, as posters, get told off by the mods for spreading false information but I don't see how you could possibly know how many of this community bought the game. There are what, over 330,000 users here? If half of them bought the game that is about 10% of the sales. I'm just saying the community may not be a tiny %.

15 hours ago, DennisVT1 said:

Edit: Forgot a funny part:

There was a game with unrealistic events and result. I realoaded 4 times, happened all over again. Not the same things, but similar. Lost all four against a weaker team. I tried to change a few things every time, nothing worked.

I don't go along with the idea that reloading a match multiple times should produce markedly different results. (However, I know there are exceptions)

Reloading is basically using a time-machine, taking you back to exactly the same point, with everything that happened before leading to it. Your team is a sum of everything that you've done over the past weeks/months. That means that the players are no more likely to be in a better mental state, be more prepared or play better just because you reloaded it. Sure, you can make tactical changes, but this is only one comparatively small part of affecting one result in isolation.

If you reloaded a save a few weeks prior then you would gradually see more divergence and only then, IMO, should you expect to see greatly different outcomes in results.

Edited by Bry

4 hours ago, rjferguson90 said:

I play almost exclusively with custom databases, which the demo doesn't allow you to use. I bought the full game and it has all sorts of problems loading custom dbs - the fault is the game's, not the databases themselves. There was no way of knowing this without buying the full game. As someone else also mentioned, the ME used in the demo was an old version, even by Miles' own admission so this argument is moot in terms of talking about the ME.

You don't need custom databases to try out the ME. You won't start a long term save on the demo anyway. 

As I understand, the version mismatch was only within a short period of time. 

3 minutes ago, j4y_z said:

You don't need custom databases to try out the ME. You won't start a long term save on the demo anyway. 

As I understand, the version mismatch was only within a short period of time. 

That wasn't the point I was making at all... I'm saying that as the demo doesn't allow you to use custom databases, I had no way of knowing before forking out for the game that implementing editor data into FM20 is a bit of a nightmare. If I had known that before then I wouldn't have bought the game at all. The ME issues are totally separate.

14 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

The responses to the minimum spec discussion are laughable. 

You can buy a laptop for £200 that has 4GB RAM and a laptop for £330 that has 8GB RAM. Anyone buying a laptop today looking to get some use out of it will be buying 8 or 16GB RAM.

My own laptop has 32GB RAM. 

I have never, not in years, heard of someone buying a laptop with RAM as low as 2GB. 

Windows XP, 1GB RAM, Intel Pentium 2.. Don't diss the older users here man..:kriss: :herman::D

Anyway, just kidding. My specs are much better than that but don't lose sight of the reality that not everyone has 32GB Ram, Ultra Quad Core, Hyper ventilated, liquid cooling machines. Lol. Calm down man. Order! 

Edited by samuelawachie

Does anyone else think that pace is massively over-powered in the game, which coupled with the zombie defending is actually leading to the high number of 1 on 1s? 

If you have someone pacy up front, as soon as they receive the ball they are through and no one can catch up. They also seem to take amazing first touches which get them through the last line of defense all too often. 

We know in reality that running with the ball is far harder than without it, but this doesn't seem to be reflected in-game. 

It's not like I have a world class player up-front, I have Adam Idah who is probably ability wise average for the Championship, but every game he's able to get through on goal minimum 3-4 times thanks to the above.

I am not personally attacking anyone who works or volunteers for the company, I am just trying to explain the frustration. In my humble opinion, SI would greatly diffuse the frustration by looking at some of their methods both in testing and user communication. Keeping users up to date on release of a patch would do wonders, I feel and placate some of the - admittedly occasionally vitriolic - criticism.

This is perfect summing up my frustration - the lack of communication with the community. The last update on the match engine fix is from before Christmas, where we told it should not be expect before New Year, and it is two weeks ago now. 

I am not personally attacking anyone who works or volunteers for the company, I am just trying to explain the frustration. In my humble opinion, SI would greatly diffuse the frustration by looking at some of their methods both in testing and user communication. Keeping users up to date on release of a patch would do wonders, I feel and placate some of the - admittedly occasionally vitriolic - criticism.

First, great post.

Secondly, this is basically what I said last week - if we knew which of the commonly reported problems are being worked on - and a rough timescale, it would take the sting out of things.  Most of us do understand (to a degree at least) that changes in the ME have domino effects - so are fine with it taking time to get right - but communication with us, to me would be better customer service - and reading through many pages of feedback, I would say needed.

Finally, FM19 was my first FM, which I didn't buy until February last year.  So, this was my first time buying the game on release.  For me, the issues with the current ME don't seem to have been helped by the fact the game was released in beta - and then in a very tight timeframe (2-3 weeks) had to be patched, which had knock-on effects.  I don't know if SI could look at a life cycle change - a longer beta, or a wider alpha more for the ME than anything.  There are enough sensible people on here who would test an alpha for nothing (I for one would - and I wouldn't care if the rest of the game wasn't finished) because we want a great game as much as SI.  It just seemed there was such a flood of bug reports during the beta, it was impossible for SI to get through them all.  With the ME specifically - it must be so complex and having to change it in such a short period between beta and main release must have been really tough - so it would seem sensible to give the ME team more time to get it right earlier in the life cycle of the product.  I'm sure the life cycle is pretty set so many years into the game - but experiencing it for the first time, that's my view from the outside.  Right now, FM20 doesn't feel like a finished product - and that's a shame, because I think inside there is a superb game.  I would say that's a big source of frustration - because you can almost touch this great game - but it's just being let down right now by the issues reported over the huge number of posts in this thread.

1 hour ago, rjferguson90 said:

That wasn't the point I was making at all... I'm saying that as the demo doesn't allow you to use custom databases, I had no way of knowing before forking out for the game that implementing editor data into FM20 is a bit of a nightmare. If I had known that before then I wouldn't have bought the game at all. The ME issues are totally separate.

Ah, sorry, I misinterpreted, then. 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Tony Wright 747:

There are good stadium sounds to download from the internet

You cannot use it in a commercial game without permission and license.

vor 49 Minuten schrieb Jesper9000:

This is perfect summing up my frustration - the lack of communication with the community. The last update on the match engine fix is from before Christmas, where we told it should not be expect before New Year, and it is two weeks ago now. 

Yes you are absolutely right. The way SI communicates  with the users is not good at all.

There are other users who mentioned that before but i saw no response at all (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Maybe the problem is, that SI is the only competitor on that market in the moment and feel that they can lean back a little bit now.

17 минут назад, Sisamom сказал:

Maybe the problem is, that SI is the only competitor on that market in the moment and feel that they can lean back a little bit now.

Who is public relations department in SI? As I know Neil Brock, Seb Wassel and other staff who write there are sometimes - they are all developers.
If Paradox developed FM20 for example, they annonced Club Vision in 6 months before release :D Just to realize - in December they shared Stellaris Dev Diary #164

I wait new DLC in February and I knew almost all details about this in few months ago. They are not ideal example too (We don't need ideal), but much better example of developer's feedback who create deep games with looped gameplay

Edited by Novem9

12 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

I'm getting rather tired of seeing these types of posts. Not because it affects me, but because it is so entitled, self revolving and ignorant. That's not an insult. It's how it comes across. 

First of all, thousands of people play this game around the world. Not everyone works with pounds and not everyone is living in a country with a healthy economy and decent paying job. You have no idea how expensive this is in some countries. 

For example, laptops in my country are phenomally expensive and a 4GB laptop is usually equal to the average monthly salary. 

That's if you're buying one with just a simple integrated graphics card. Prices go up by 50% of that total price for one with 8GB of RAM. 

Not everybody is in the same situation as you and it is insensitive and elitist of someone to think so. 

So, some consideration is needed here. 

To me this discussion is a red herring. What is the motivation for the argument here - that FM is being held back by designing for low performance computers? That seems to me a convenient excuse for FM being held back by lack of investment. I'd love to imagine that SI would bring out this mind blowing engine upgrade but for the fact that you'd need 8gb ram and an 6 core processor, but the fact that every year the existing ME isn't patched to be working as intended until halfway through the year tells me otherwise. I don't think computer specs have anything much to do with it. Besides if that really were the case, the simple solution is to have a Legacy setting which basically gives you a *fully functioning* version of the existing engine which is frozen from that point on, whilst the investment goes into the new engine for the increasing number of machines that can run it.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Sisamom said:

Yes you are absolutely right. The way SI communicates  with the users is not good at all.

There are other users who mentioned that before but i saw no response at all (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Before Christmas we stated there were a number of areas within the match engine which were on the radar for us to look at - https://community.sigames.com/topic/508768-match-engine-info-and-holiday-plans/

In this thread last week I posted:

We're always working on the game across all areas with the aim of improving it and fixing issues with any update. We're unable to give exact time frames in regards to updates/hotfixes due to the nature of software development, but if I'm able to provide more info at any point I'll do so. 

Thanks. 

We are working towards an update with the aim of improving the experience of FM, be that through gameplay, performance or match. We hope to do this as soon as we're able to, but given the complexities of certain areas of the game this isn't something we can rush. We don't want to come out and say 'we will release an update on x date' then our Dev or QA team finds an issue which prevents us from meeting that deadline. As always, as soon as we're in a position to update the game we will do so. 

Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

We hope to do this as soon as we're able to, but given the complexities of certain areas of the game this isn't something we can rush.

I came up with a funny but imo relevant analogy while I was streaming last night for when we hear this from SI. Its like FM has become the NASA space project from the 60s/70s to modern day. Its like FM worked, it was great, we landed on the moon, the potential was insane in how far it could go. Years later it evolved and developed into a situation where we werent capable of landing on the moon like we once could. The process to achieve the desired results changed through their own doing/lack of doing.

The assumption being, Its as if SI no longer have the ability to understand what they created because it is "too complex" to tweak and optimise on the fly.

Might be a bit outlandish and stupid of me to say that, but its the consistent vibe/attitude that we passively get from the developers in combination with lack of communication on top of the player bases pure passion for the title that make us jump to strange but oddly correct analogies like this. 

Also Creative Assembly recently tweeted this level of communication about WH2:TW (Both under SEGA btw) "If you are on 1.8.2 for WARHAMMER II, please be aware that this beta will be shut down and made live at approximately 10AM Monday (13 Jan). The MP leaderboard fix will be the only fix in this update – however, we can confirm that there will be a patch before the next DLC."

No time frames for the big updates/DLC, but acknowledgement of how the next fixes/patches will be structured. Football Manager is "too complex" though to do this....

The player base needs to stop the mentality of "Football Manager has no direct rivals" because its allowing the Developers to potentially be complacent. They create video games in the same industry as all of the others, they should be held to the same ever demanding and changing standards.

SI simply can't win.

If they engage with the community (like they did with the public beta testing branch) their staff get a torrent of abuse. If on the other hand they silently get on with the job of attempting to fix the issues in the ME they get accused of being distant and neglectful of their customers.

I've seen them being called incompetent, lazy, complacent among other things in this thread and people then wonder why they shut off and don't wish to engage. Who would respond positively to that?

As for the argument that SI should provide a running commentary on what they are fixing and how long they anticipate it taking. I support their stance of not doing that. Need I remind people that SI are under no obligation to patch the game at all. Imposing unnecessary deadlines on themselves only adds pressure and will often result in them rushing out patches which given the intricacies of the ME could end up doing more harm than good. Let them test their fixes thoroughly and release it when they are comfortable that it has resolved the bugs and hasn't caused any unwanted side issues.

This is where the public beta could have been useful if people actually viewed it for what it was, a way of SI getting more eyes on their ME by testing a multitude of different tactics within it but given the reaction they got from it they have since abandoned that idea so that now we are left with only internal testing.

1 hour ago, battles_atlas said:

To me this discussion is a red herring. What is the motivation for the argument here - that FM is being held back by designing for low performance computers? That seems to me a convenient excuse for FM being held back by lack of investment. I'd love to imagine that SI would bring out this mind blowing engine upgrade but for the fact that you'd need 8gb ram and an 6 core processor, but the fact that every year the existing ME isn't patched to be working as intended until halfway through the year tells me otherwise. I don't think computer specs have anything much to do with it. Besides if that really were the case, the simple solution is to have a Legacy setting which basically gives you a *fully functioning* version of the existing engine which is frozen from that point on, whilst the investment goes into the new engine for the increasing number of machines that can run it.

So, in your opinion, they should alienate large swathes of their customers to satisfy those with high end computers? If not that, then they should force people without high end computers to play on a match engine which isn't going to get updated?

Edited by pheelf

4 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

This. Audio in FM has ALWAYS been awful. Not just the sounds themselves but the syncing. Seeing as immersion is what it’s all about surely matchday sounds are a huge part of achieving that? They’ve just been forgotten. Like, forever. First box I tick on any new version is play without sound. It’s been that bad for so long. Licensing is a poor excuse, as it’s not simply the sounds themselves that are the problem. I’ve never played any other game with such awful sound syncing. The small studio excuse is laughable tbh.

I have to agree with this. I have the sound on all the time, because my PC doesn't have a dedicated graphics card and I have the graphics on almost minimum settings. So, I rely more on the sound for a little more immersion. 3 things that immediately come to mind are:

• The sound of the ball being kicked sometimes gets stuck in a loop and it sounds like a pinball machine.
  • The crowd volume swells at the most bizarre moments, creating a psychedelic Phil Spector wall of sound, particularly during an action replay.
  • The referee whistle is also inconsistent. Sometimes he violently blows for half/full-time like he's at sea and trying to get the attention of a lifeguard. Sometimes the match just finishes without so much as a peep.

As the poster quoted above said, it's not so much the sound 'quality', it's the implementation. It just feels very neglected and sloppy. 

I'm happy to post examples as a bug, but there doesn't seem to be a relevant subforum.

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Bry said:

I have to agree with this. I have the sound on all the time, because my PC doesn't have a dedicated graphics card and I have the graphics on almost minimum settings. So, I rely more on the sound for a little more immersion. 3 things that immediately come to mind are:

• The sound of the ball being kicked sometimes gets stuck in a loop and it sounds like a pinball machine.
  • The crowd volume swells at the most bizarre moments, creating a psychedelic Phil Spector wall of sound, particularly during an action replay.
  • The referee whistle is also inconsistent. Sometimes he violently blows for half/full-time like he's at sea and trying to get the attention of a lifeguard. Sometimes the match just finishes without so much as a peep.

As the poster quoted above said, it's not so much the sound 'quality', it's the implementation. It just feels very neglected and sloppy. 

I'm happy to post examples as a bug, but there doesn't seem to be a relevant subforum.

Best place for Sound related issues would be here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/740-match-engine-art-animations-benchmarking-performance-facegen-and-manager-man/

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

We are working towards an update with the aim of improving the experience of FM, be that through gameplay, performance or match. We hope to do this as soon as we're able to, but given the complexities of certain areas of the game this isn't something we can rush. We don't want to come out and say 'we will release an update on x date' then our Dev or QA team finds an issue which prevents us from meeting that deadline. As always, as soon as we're in a position to update the game we will do so. 

Hello Neil,

first of all thank you for your work, you've given us countless hours of gameplay over the years. I would only like to know if these gameplay/ME fixes are prioritized to be delivered before the next DB update or if they will be delivered with it. We have an online game going and we want to plan ahead. 

Thank you

1 saat önce, Neil Brock said:

Thanks. 

Dear @Neil Brock

Let's suppose you have completed the ME update at the beginning of February. As a company policy, when update has been completed, do you think "It is better to wait for March to release with database update" or prefer to release it immediately when all the processes of the update are completed?

I ask this because in the recent years the ME update (The only one after new year) has always been released with the database update in March. All of these are coincidence?

1 hour ago, pheelf said:

So, in your opinion, they should alienate large swathes of their customers to satisfy those with high end computers? If not that, then they should force people without high end computers to play on a match engine which isn't going to get updated?

No, in my opinion this discussion is irrelevant because it is not what is holding back the ME. *If* it ever becomes an issue, then yes, some balance has to be struck between being playable on a Nokia 3310 so everyone on Earth can join in, and harnessing the technology that has become available in the last ~15 years. It's the same balance that every franchise has to make, because whilst building a Crysis-like game that hardly anyone can run isn't great commercial thinking, neither is allowing your game to become completely obsolete due to self-imposed hardware limitations.

But, again, this is not the reason the ME is as it is, so it doesn't need discussing in this context.

2 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Spot on review and it also sums all a lot of my concerns about this ME. 

I hope SI doesn't get upset at what I am going to write, but given the magnitude of the issues present in this version of ME, this feels like a beta test and not even close to a finished/polished version. And what is worrying is that the last ME update was at the beginning of December and whilst they aknowledged a lot of the current issues, the speed in which they can fix them is very slow from a customer point of view. To sum it up, it's been a frustrating month and a half as a Football manager fan and SI customer.

The only thing that is keeping me from returning to FM 19 is the newgen system which is really a very good addition to the game and also, the newgens seem to be more varied in their stat distribution. This is a good addition and it's so annoying that the core function on this game , the ME , is dragging down the immersion.

Agree with the points here except I have had to go back to FM19.  The current ME is just too difficult to watch. 

I do appreciate all the hard work from the SI team, working on patches and constant improvements to the game etc, but it feels like there is so much work to do with the current ME that a fix won’t be along any time soon.

41 minutes ago, battles_atlas said:

No, in my opinion this discussion is irrelevant because it is not what is holding back the ME. *If* it ever becomes an issue, then yes, some balance has to be struck between being playable on a Nokia 3310 so everyone on Earth can join in, and harnessing the technology that has become available in the last ~15 years. It's the same balance that every franchise has to make, because whilst building a Crysis-like game that hardly anyone can run isn't great commercial thinking, neither is allowing your game to become completely obsolete due to self-imposed hardware limitations.

But, again, this is not the reason the ME is as it is, so it doesn't need discussing in this context.

The discussion is not irrelevant because the quality of ME they can produce is inextricably linked to the specification of the computers that are expected to run it. If all the players of the game was lucky enough to have a high end PC like yourself then the quality of the ME would be of a much higher standard but that's not the reality. I also disagree with your statement that these are self-imposed hardware limitations. The limitations are based on the specifications of the computers which the vast majority of the player base use to play the game.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely improvements that can be made which are not dependent on the hardware available to the users (such as fixing bugs for example) but the product is a niche product already, forcing users to upgrade their hardware to play it is unlikely to have positive effects on SI's bottom line and hence will impact their ability to invest in the game.

They have to move in step with their customers like any business.

Best Regards

19 hours ago, He can't believe he's missed it said:

You do understand that people being told to try and adapt their approach to mitigate issues in a game that they've paid for while being told to sit and wait for it to be fixed with no obvious timescale is the reason for most of the anger?

Why have I been limited on the amount upvotes I can do when I have done less than 5 upvotes today?

A bit fishy when it came about from me agreeing with the above post, for the record I am so underwhelmed with this years FM and have never complained about any other version and I have owned them all!

I got 3 weeks worth of enjoyment in beta and then the game changed badly for the worse and despite the fact I am over achieving and succesful the football you see from the ME is appalling.

I have tried to be patient but feel incensed that the only game I ever pre-order at full price every year, I have not been able to play for months as each update is a bad let down!

If I ever buy this game again it will be in the steam sale like anything else or when it has dropped to it's lowest price I don't like to vent like this but my patience has worn and by stopping me from voting up the comments I agree with, what type of policy is that?

Plus I agree with the other poster, whilst a majority base probably is laptop users I have a high end gaming PC as many other users probably do. Why can't we have a mode that truly pushes the hardware to it's limitations and a mode as is for basic spec users, it seems to me it's profit over progression, where's the ambition?

Edited by FMLegend1983

3 minutes ago, pheelf said:

The discussion is not irrelevant because the quality of ME they can produce is inextricably linked to the specification of the computers that are expected to run it. If all the players of the game was lucky enough to have a high end PC like yourself then the quality of the ME would be of a much higher standard but that's not the reality. I also disagree with your statement that these are self-imposed hardware limitations. The limitations are based on the specifications of the computers which the vast majority of the player base use to play the game.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely improvements that can be made which are not dependent on the hardware available to the users (such as fixing bugs for example) but the product is a niche product already, forcing users to upgrade their hardware to play it is unlikely to have positive effects on SI's bottom line and hence will impact their ability to invest in the game.

They have to move in step with their customers like any business.

Best Regards

It’s not necessarily the quality of the ME’s appearance that’s the issue but the way the ME plays. The coding. Hardware is simply not a factor for all of the match engines coding. It’s how the graphics move around. Not the graphics themselves (although, you know ... ideally ...)

56 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Spot on review and it also sums all a lot of my concerns about this ME. 

I hope SI doesn't get upset at what I am going to write, but given the magnitude of the issues present in this version of ME, this feels like a beta test and not even close to a finished/polished version. And what is worrying is that the last ME update was at the beginning of December and whilst they aknowledged a lot of the current issues, the speed in which they can fix them is very slow from a customer point of view. To sum it up, it's been a frustrating month and a half as a Football manager fan and SI customer.

The only thing that is keeping me from returning to FM 19 is the newgen system which is really a very good addition to the game and also, the newgens seem to be more varied in their stat distribution. This is a good addition and it's so annoying that the core function on this game , the ME , is dragging down the immersion.

My post isn't a review of SI so people should not be attaching it to their own issues. I hope that doesn't come across as harsh, but just making that clear. Because as I said, there's a lot I'm really enjoying, and its one of my favourites in a long time. Not saying you're doing it, but it's not a post where people use it to pile on SI about things they're frustrated with

13 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

My post isn't a review of SI so people should not be attaching it to their own issues. I hope that doesn't come across as harsh, but just making that clear. Because as I said, there's a lot I'm really enjoying, and its one of my favourites in a long time. Not saying you're doing it, but it's not a post where people use it to pile on SI about things they're frustrated with

You’ve just made some good points mate. Points that we all see in the ME. SI would do well to read them.

For me the biggest issue with FM20 is the lack of reference for freekicks and sometimes even yellow cards. A player can get a yellow card and I can miss it on extended highlights. Direct freekicks are something that's annoyed me for a long time. We need to see why free kicks in dangerous positions are awarded, these are always a sign of underlying issues with your system. No side likes to give up free kicks in front of goal and will do things to avoid it.  I do enjoy playing the game, but its these two niggling things that affect me the most.

I noticed something in one of my games to day, I was playing against a team that was playing with a CWB on one flank behind two attacking duties in front. We scored in that area and immediately the AI manager changed it to a FB(S). Initially I thought it was a brilliant change, because that flank was so vulnerable and then I looked at the other flank which had 3 attack duties and held my hands up. The AI was just gifting my side chances to bomb down their flanks without pressure. While the AI has certainly shown some improvements, these set ups are just going to make it really easy to exploit them down the flanks. It was still early in the game so I am still wondering if this was ideal. It's good to see it doesn't now always switch to a 424 when it wants to chase a game.

The defensive side of the game is weak, its still too easy to get around  lot of teams and create too many chances on goal. Initially I thought all penalty kicks look the same then i had one where he scored one in the top right corner, so I am chalking lack of variety off.  I think many have pointed out that defensive headers need some work, I find that its too easy now setting traps up to take advantage of how defenders clear headers.

8 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

It’s not necessarily the quality of the ME’s appearance that’s the issue but the way the ME plays. The coding. Hardware is simply not a factor for all of the match engines coding. It’s how the graphics move around. Not the graphics themselves (although, you know ... ideally ...)

I did give that caveat during my last post where I stated that improvements can be made which aren't hardware dependent.

I would not underestimate the impact of how much the specifications of a computer has on the ME though. The ME is just a visual representation of what is fed into it. If the AI isn't smart enough to consider all it's options then what it will produce is nonsensical and that will be fed into the ME.

The problem lies with the fact that to improve the decision making ability of the AI you need them to systematically review all the different options available to them which takes processing time. That's where the average specifications of the user base comes into play. If the game takes too long to process then people will stop playing it.

The processing capability of a computer feeds directly into every aspect of this game (squad building, man management etc.) which in turn feeds into the ME. It is this fact which is why you end up with the AI fielding poorly rotated squads, buying players which they don't need and discarding ones they do, playing players in the wrong roles, having very prescribed responses to in match events (such as being a goal behind late in the game triggering them to switch to the very attacking mentality and changing to a formation with 3 strikers) and so on.

All the best

Em 10/01/2020 em 11:50, renato. disse:

I'm giving up too. I'm just tired, it's not fun. If you play with a high defensive block, you get balls over the top all over the place. If you play with a low block, you need to pray in every defensive phase to your defender not screw up by giving possession directly into the opposition feet.

An update: This is the only game I play, so I really never stopped playing. Went to the tactical section here, read a little, made a few tweaks and my team plays really nice now, thumbs up to SI for the variety regarding the actions. One example: https://streamable.com/90rxj

Result: Still upset because my striker and my winger keeps missing a lot of one vs one and the quantity of set pieces is overwhelming.