Emergency game is about to start thread - Group D - Final round - Argentina vs Nigeria and Iceland vs Croatia

Redshift

15 years ago, we were being talked about as a team that shouldn't even be in qualifiers.

5 years ago we barely dared to dream about achieving more than being in the discussion for half a group stage.

Today we had every chance to reach the knock out stages of the World Cup.

We have done the unimaginable. The unthinkable was just out of reach.

This time...

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Oh yeah even this disjointed as **** France team will have a field day with this Argentina team.

Not sure you should make anymore Argentina predictions :p

Why didnt Croatia let Iceland score instead. Bunch of misery guts :(

That was crazy game, was expecting another AGUERO moment. Instead it was Marcos Rojo of all people.

Nigeria were far too defensive in the 5-10 minutes leading up to the goal, except one counter-attack they were camped on the edge of their own box, only themsleves to blame for that unfortunately. I think they will get to the KO rounds in 2022, very young team apparently.

3 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Maradona "Becoming a laughing stock" Gary? That ship sailed many years ago.

That's actually a big thing for Lineker to say, he was good friends with him wasn't he?
Don't think I have heard Gary say a bad word about him before this.

1 minute ago, daylight said:

That's actually a big thing for Lineker to say, he was good friends with him wasn't he?
Don't think I have heard Gary say a bad word about him before this.

Tbf the full quote was him saying "he's in danger of becoming a laughing stock" but still, he's not making out like we're all laughing with him. 

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

How is Maradona giving the finger any different from Lineker swearing in his tweets ffs? Hand-wringing in the BBC studios, what a bunch of melts.

It's the fact he's clearly a coked up mess, and has been from start of the world cup. Only, Gary can't say that on TV 

17 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's the fact he's clearly a coked up mess, and has been from start of the world cup. Only, Gary can't say that on TV 

If that's what they meant then fair enough, they made it sound as though they were focusing on the finger gesture though.

1 minute ago, D_LO_ said:

A much lesser player leading an even lesser team to the World Cup? I struggle to believe it. 

He is maybe a disgrace now, Diego was an amazing player, a much better player for his country than Messi has ever been.

1 hour ago, G-Man11 said:

Seriously never got why people were so adamant Argentina were out after the Croatia match. It's almost if they forget how lacking in quality Iceland are.

This is why I'm baffled people are talking about the knockout games as if they're guaranteed (other than the ones obviously confirmed)

Germany could still finish top, Brazil could come second, Japan could come second and Colombia top, etc etc etc.

There's not guarantees at all yet. I'm just trying to enjoy the ride!

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

If that's what they meant then fair enough, they made it sound as though they were focusing on the finger gesture though.

Yeah, to be fair to them, there's no way they can allude to it, but they would have seen the videos, and more. 

What a match this was. Happy to see Argentina go through but my god they really can't complain about luck after this one :D, could have easily gotten a penalty given against them considering how easily penalties are given this WC. Nigeria also had some very good opportunities later in the match. I thought that Argentina started really well, great pass by Banega, lovely finish by Messi, but after the 1-1 Argentina went back to their awful awful football. They were so bad at times it really hurts to watch. That this win, combined with the 3-0 loss against Croatia and the 1-1 against Iceland makes them progress in this tournament is a miracle.

But would not be surprised though to see them play better against France, had a feeling they really let some emotions out after the match. Continuing in the tournament now could work in their favour as you would almost say they can't play any worse than they did so far, they can only improve. Besides that, they will be the underdog against France with France trying to make the game, and France is not good in that. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the drama in that Argentina game. Mascherano has dropped several notches, Di Maria was toss, Higuain pointless. They're screwed when they play France.

As for Maradona, can't stand the fat, cheating bastard, but it's no fun seeing anyone that far off his tits. Can't be long before something screws up for him.

1 ora fa, RTHerringbone ha scritto:

As for Maradona, can't stand the fat, cheating bastard, but it's no fun seeing anyone that far off his tits. Can't be long before something screws up for him.

People have been saying that for like 25 years already, and he's still alive and well, that disgrace of a human being he always was.

Frankly the most negative part about his departure would be the weeks of tribute that would follow.

2 hours ago, RBKalle said:

People have been saying that for like 25 years already, and he's still alive and well, that disgrace of a human being he always was.

Frankly the most negative part about his departure would be the weeks of tribute that would follow.

Why is he a disgrace?

He's just a harmless idiot who shows his geniune feelings. He never did anything really malicious.

On the other hand, you have the likes of Platini and Šuker, nation's idols turned into corrupt, money laundering officials and acting as if they were the second coming of Jesus.

I'll take Diego any day of the week.

Archived