Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

Just now, johnhughthom said:

Where did I say players don't try is it in real life, or are you saying calling the central through ball the  most difficult pass in football is nonsense?

I'm not denying there is an issue, but most of the examples I've seen her are 2d, where users expect their players on the pitch to play as if they also have a god mode view of the game, or like the above, where a through ball has perhaps a 5% chance of being successful.

You're correct, in that it is more difficult. And I have misread your response, so I apologise for stating it is nonsense. My bad. 

I agree with what you are saying. And I now see that you also agree that through balls aren't attempted enough (successful or otherwise). 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My luck, man.

Everyone on here saying players never attempt central through balls, very next game I play after reading, opponents do this in a vital game to go 2-1 up...

The quality of that passage of play, considering the teams :lol::rolleyes:

1 minute ago, johnhughthom said:

Where did I say players don't try is it in real life, or are you saying calling the central through ball the  most difficult pass in football is nonsense?

I'm not denying there is an issue, but most of the examples I've seen her are 2d, where users expect their players on the pitch to play as if they also have a god mode view of the game, or like the above, where a through ball has perhaps a 5% chance of being successful.

The gap between the defenders is about 6 yards, the space in behind is huge and Vardy's pace can compensate for something over hit. The margin for error is factually huge, and my jaw dropped at you pulling 5% out of thin air.

13 minutes ago, vindapop said:

How do I allow my u23's and u18's to use any tactic they want instead of mimicing the first teams?

It used to be in the staff responsibilities but now I can't find it!

I think the only way is if you delegate all of their training to your staff, I haven't seen the option to let the youth team manager choose the formation when I control youth individual training.

3 hours ago, seagull84 said:

- majority of penalties missed

- lack of goals from open play

- strikers not scoring

- So many unintelligent shots from crossing/passing positions

3-4 woodwork in a few games for some reason too.

Midfielders not taking the central passing options when it's available - I've had a few where a striker is in a position to make an intelligent run through the middle for a through ball but either, he doesn't make it, or the ball carrier goes loopy and gets himself in a cul-de-sac. How much of that is down to crap players however.

Also, starting to get tired of the one on ones being missed now, even if the frequency of one on ones are down a bit.

In my current save I'm tearing my hair out because players are hoofing it, despite being told to play out from the back. Sometimes, not even under pressure, it's an aimless long ball somewhere in the vincity of a player, rather than, you know, the safe pass right in front of you(!)

I'm not seeing many penalties missed though, but most of the decent goals for me and the AI are set pieces, crosses or long range screamers. 

Staff Responibilities: I like the option for loan manager to sort of the loan details. But i would love an option for me to confirm it.

U18 and U23 training: Trying to set my coaches training assignmenst currently requires too many clicks to get to. Dev Centre, hover over staff and select U23 or U18, coaching staff, training assignments in bottom right then edit coach assignments. 

Too many clicks when it could easily be under the dev cente etraining section where it makes sense to be.

46 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

The gap between the defenders is about 6 yards, the space in behind is huge and Vardy's pace can compensate for something over hit. The margin for error is factually huge, and my jaw dropped at you pulling 5% out of thin air.

There is a central defender right in front of Praet, he can anticipate where the pass is going, with the weighting it will need to get to Vardy he has every chance of blocking it. That's before you even factor in the difficulty of the pass.

3 hours ago, JDownie said:

SI should introduce a new attribute specifically for 1v1s. 

And then Code it so that having a 1 would mean "doesn't score ever" whilst at "20" he's going to shout "who's your Daddy" at the keeper before doing a reverse Rabona before calmly slotting it in 100 times of 100. :DUnfortunately, that'd be ignoring that not every one on one is equal opportunity. It'd also be ignoring Football reality. As argued, in any competitive Sports, the battles are setted in smaller margins. And in Football, Clubs are spending crazy Money on going a few extra percentages.

What SI should do given the demand though is specifically testing 1vs1 before release. Maybe even Setting up specific testing drills. :DAnd Maybe even placing a sticker somewhere that likely similar to everybody else in the field, they would consider the keeper to have a more or less significant Edge. Unlike Cutbacks oft wrong Footing the keeper say, 1vs1 are great chances depending on which, but not open Goals.  If they'd be "realistically" balanced, including AI Opponent tactical decision making and no ME Bugs to exploit that allows to spam them forever; sequences of not converting them should be Pretty common place, however, over a period of time, as opposed to short spell of Matches. 

Edited by Svenc

4 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

There is a central defender right in front of Praet, he can anticipate where the pass is going, with the weighting it will need to get to Vardy he has every chance of blocking it. That's before you even factor in the difficulty of the pass.

You can argue about specific examples as much as you like, but since there has been a near-complete lack of any creative play through the middle of the pitch for over a year I'm not sure it's worth your while... 

Just now, ceefax the cat said:

You can argue about specific examples as much as you like, but since there has been a near-complete lack of any creative play through the middle of the pitch for over a year I'm not sure it's worth your while... 

I agree, what I'm saying is give SI actual examples where the central pass was undeniably the superior option. I'm not sure I've seen one yet.

1 minute ago, ceefax the cat said:

He makes a fair point though. The funny thing is that if he played that ball and it got intercepted, it probably wouldn't end up even in the comprehensive highlights and he wouldn't even have known that Praet had tried the through ball. :)

1 minute ago, johnhughthom said:

Abso****inglutely. Have you uploaded a PKM for them to look at?

I'll be uploading. This Leicester save is purely a test to provide time-stamped PKMs. I can't take a save seriously with what I'm seeing.

12 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

I agree, what I'm saying is give SI actual examples where the central pass was undeniably the superior option. I'm not sure I've seen one yet.

If what you want is to be sure of completing the pass, threading a pass through the middle is rarely the superior option. IRL in that situation Praet would be doing everything he possibly could to try and find Vardy whether the defender was blocking him or not. If he realised he couldn't do it, the first thing the guy he laid it off to would do is hit Vardy.  Every single spell of play in which the ball is passed from side to side in front of the box is an opportunity to *risk* a central through ball but it never ever happens because the pass out wide is the safe one. Through balls need to be treated by the ME as less like passes and more like crosses - they're speculative and risky and frequently bring moves to an end but if creative players are in a position to try them, they'll look to do so.

Edited by ceefax the cat

21 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Are you on drugs, that's Jamie Vardy through 1 on 1

19 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

haha!

If any of you can show me an example of a real life player in that position passing instead of shooting then fine, but James Maddison literally shot, and scored, from an almost identical situation for Leicester against Wolves last season.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If any of you can show me an example of a real life player in that position passing instead of shooting then fine, but James Maddison literally shot, and scored, from an almost identical situation for Leicester against Wolves last season.

No man, come on, this is mental

He's got a choice between a shot that'll probably get blocked or playing in one of the best finishers in the world who is 100% clear and has lost his man, a nailed-on 1 v 1. If he took the shot, Vardy, his manager and all of their fans would rightly eviscerate him

To me the question is not about the realism of it, but that it used to be a fun game for few days (with a silly penalty problem, but not game breaking), a bit challenging but one of the most fun to watch ME engine that i remember of then 20.1.4 hotfix came around and it's not a fun game anymore.

27 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

He's got a choice between a shot that'll probably get blocked or playing in one of the best finishers in the world who is 100% clear and has lost his man, a nailed-on 1 v 1. If he took the shot, Vardy, his manager and all of their fans would rightly eviscerate him

In the real world it would really depend on what the player's focus would be.
Himself? Vardy? Defender in front of him? The goalie?

If he's focusing on the defender, to see if the defender is aware and ready to challenge a pass to Vardy, then, if composed and intelligent enough, he would most likely shift his focus towards the GK.
Then himself and go for the shot.

From that picture alone Vardy seems like the obvious choice.
But that can potentially change due to the movement of the defender, movement of Vardy, the ball control and composure of Barnes. Barnes's touch (because his not ready to attempt a pass on that picture IF he's right-footed) Even the positioning of the GK.
I could see a lot of plausible outcomes. But that's just based on that picture and that alone.

But i would say that everyone would expect a pass there. That's why (again IF Barnes is right-footed) a shot with the outside of the foot could potentially do more harm than a pass to Vardy; as a pass is what the GK would most likely be prepared for.

And a 1v1 is not a guaranteed goal regardless of who the finisher is.

In other words; it might seem obvious but there's a lot more to it than what it might seem. But hey! That's only what i get from that one picture.

Edited by roykela

4 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

When people talk about strikers finishing, what sort of return are they looking for? I'm intrigued.

I'm in my third season with Southampton and we're doing well. I've got Richarlison (the one from Everton) playing as a False Nine in a very standard 4-3-3. In 17 appearances this season he's had 65 shots, he's hit 49% on target and scored 10. So roughly four shots a game, 2 of which are on target, and his on target conversion rate is around one in three. How does that compare to real life? Sounds decent to me.

My other striker is pretty similar. 12 appearances. 42 shots of which 48% were on target and he has scored 5, so he's converting around 25% of his shots on target.

Would love to see your setup mate. Richarlison is the type of player I've wanted to use in a F9 for a while, but not sure on overall setup.

Thought of another one - deep defending. 

Has anyone managed to get low defensive settings - less urgent closing down, very low defensive line, low mentality, low line of engagement - to do anything other than just invite the opposition into your penalty area and to sling crosses in at will?

The idea behind dropping off is that it makes it really hard to get close to your goal or into a good crossing position due to the lack of space in the final third. I've always found that if you actually want to achieve that effect in FM, you have to get into a daft little dance with the tactics creator where you end up moving the defensive settings higher and higher just to stop the opposition from having complete dominion over your half, and end up with a bunch of settings that, on the face of it, appear to describe quite a proactive pressing tactic. So your choice is between really really high pressing, and merely quite a lot of pressing.

I haven't seen a successful tactic that uses low settings for years

Edited by ceefax the cat

I just had a match, on extended highlights, that had ZERO highlights despite my team having 17 shots.

Is this normal? has anyone else experienced this?

The other thing I've noticed (beyond the dreadful striker play) is a high number of goals disallowed due to VAR. I'm getting at least one a match

Edited by ajw10

33 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Nah, he has a clear shot on goal from 12 yards, and it looks like Vardy is about to drift offside, especially because the defender and Vardy won't both be in his vision due to their positioning. 7 times out of 10 the player shoots there.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah, he has a clear shot on goal from 12 yards, and it looks like Vardy is about to drift offside, especially because the defender and Vardy won't both be in his vision due to their positioning. 7 times out of 10 the player shoots there.

No. Just no

You can tell the people in 'Vardy-gate' who actually go and watch real football to those who watch highlights on MOTD. 

Should the player shoot in that scenario? Absolutely not. 

Would the player shoot in that scenario? Almost certainly. I've seen in countless times. And yes, I'd be screaming at him if it doesn't go in. And have done on many an occasion. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

funny man...you're trolling there obviously...that's funny I'll give you that

8 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You can tell the people in 'Vardy-gate' who actually go and watch real football to those who watch highlights on MOTD. 

Should the player shoot in that scenario? Absolutely not. 

Would the player shoot in that scenario? Almost certainly. I've seen in countless times. And yes, I'd be screaming at him if it doesn't go in. And have done on many an occasion. 

What a generalisation 

13 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

No. Just no

It is realistic, you can mewl about what a great finisher Vardy is, and what a simple pass it is, but a player with a free shot from 12 yards out, who is unsure whether the team mate in front of him is onside, is going to shoot there rather than pass.

1 minute ago, akkm said:

funny man...you're trolling there obviously...that's funny I'll give you that

Trolling? Not at all. Situations like that pop up every so often at games I watch and the majority of times I've seen it, it ends with the player shooting, or attempting the pass and the player either being offside, or over hitting the pass and the keeper coming out and blocking the shot/collecting the ball.

Hi guys! Has the ball possession calculation method changed in this edition of FM? It seems to me closer to the real, the calculations made by Opta, for example. I'm seeing a lot of games out there with 70% or more in possession.

Edited by garotospfc

I am probably being a bit simple here so any help would be great.

The menu bar on the left hand side of the screen has changed.  I used to be able to access the Under 23’s and Under 19’s (and Youth Candidates when we have them) by simply clicking on them.

They have disappeared.  I now have a convoluted method of finding them.  Either through the Development Centre or through main squad and using the filters.  Far more clicks necessary than the straightforward method of the last decade or so.

If is me being a simpleton, I apologise and seek guidance on how to put the links there.  If it is working s intended, then this is one spect of the new game I really really don’t like it and find it very annoying.  I access my other sides often.

Edited by DazRTaylor

1 minute ago, DazRTaylor said:

The menu bar on the left hand side of the screen has changed.  I used to be able to access the Under 23’s and Under 19’s (and Youth Candidates when we have them) by simply clicking on them.

They have disappeared.  I now have a convoluted method of finding them.  Either through the Development Centre or through main squad and using the filters.  Far more clicks necessary than the straightforward method of the last decade or so.

If is me being a simpleton, I apologise and seek guidance on how to put the links there.  If it is working s intended, then this is one spect of the new game I really really don’t like it and find it very annoying.  I access my other sides often

The reserves and youth teams are under the development tab- if you take charge of either of the teams or their training, they will show up in the left hand pane.

Just now, DazRTaylor said:

The menu bar on the left hand side of the screen has changed.  I used to be able to access the Under 23’s and Under 19’s (an Youth Candidates when we have them) by simply clicking on them.

They have disappeared.  I now have a convoluted method of finding them.  Either through the Development Centre or through mains quad and using the filters.  Far more clicks necessary than the straightforward method of the last decade or so.

If is me being a simpleton, I apologise and seek guidance on how to put the links there.  If it is working s intended, then this is one spect of the new game I really really don’t like it and find it very annoying.  I access my other sides often

On FM20 they only show on the side bar if you take control of any part of that specific team. Training matches etc. If you leave it all to you staff then you access them through development center

5 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

I used to be able to access the Under 23’s and Under 19’s

If you take on any aspect of development (team training, individual training, etc) they get added to the left-hand menu. Alternatively, right-click on 'Dev.Centre' and choose the squad from the drop-down menu.

2 minutes ago, FrazT said:

@akkm  Please read the post from themadsheep2001 3 above yours.

Yeah I read it. I made two posts there on it the second giving a reasoned and detailed reply on decision making as to why shooting there is a bad decision. No where in my post was there anything personal so could you please put the post back on this thread...there was zero reason to remove it...absolutely zero. Thanks frazt