Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah, but it helps, the more different teams, different tactics, different variables they can have a look at the better

Not to mention it contains code. This is the single biggest reason for it. People don't have to upload PKMS, but it should be made clear they are always the most useful thing, regardless of some people attempting to argue otherwise.  One post with a PKM and say 5-6 timecodes is always infinitely more useful than 5-6 pages of back and forth on something. The pay off might not be immediate but it's always useful 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

That's great to hear & I fully understand it's not just a simple case of "change this & everything's sorted" :thup:

Yeah I'm sure they wish it was that simple. Be interesting to see if they fix it, what else gets wrapped up in there. Feel like users have tunnelled in so much on that, they might he surprised by what else gets tweaked in the next update (this isn't a leading post btw, I have no idea what's in the next update)

The match engine is so cringing to watch. I found this for about the last 6/7 years. I swear it was better in about 2012 

I have to have it in 2d because the 3d is so cringing and unrealistic you're honestly better off using your imagination 

Edited by El_sambo

1 hour ago, ceefax the cat said:

It affects every single way you could possibly set up though! Testers can generate as many examples as they like for themselves, with every match they play

"Hey here's a bug that occurs 100% of the time"
"Got a specific example?"
"Well yes but...."

That's where adding to the issue will make it trickier.
As in my save, i don't see these issues at all.
My forwards and the AIs forwards are very much active in their roles. Movements, dropping deep etc.
So that would shoot down the overall "100%" immediately.
Don't take that as me saying there is no issue. I'm sure there is; as SI have acknowledged (to my understanding) as well.
Just saying that other's 100% is 0% for me.

And that makes it a lot more difficult.

I do hope that whatever the issues are that they will be sorted. The ME can always be better. Even though, for me, it is the best ME i have seen in a long time.

Edited by roykela

Just now, roykela said:

That's were adding to the issue will make it trickier.
As in my save, i don't see this issues at all.
My forwards and the AIs forwards are very much active in their roles. Movements, dropping deep etc.
So that would shoot down the overall "100%" immediately.
Don't take that as me saying there is no issue. I'm sure there is; as SI have acknowledged (to my understanding) as well.
Just saying that other's 100% is 0% for me.

And that makes it a lot more difficult.

I do hope that whatever the issues are that they will be sorted. The ME can always be better. Even though, for me, it is the best ME i have seen in a long time.

Do your midfielders combine with them and play through balls through the middle for them? Do they play each other in? I think we must be talking about different things

40 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

While it can absolutely be tactical, it's also an ME issue. A couple of weeks ago I had issues setting up a 451 (4141 DM Wide in the game, I think) as the striker was not involved and play just kept going wide. Rashidi, using the same team and same formation, didn't experience this to the extent that I did at all. When I asked how he set up and changed a few things to closer resemble his setup (but not completely copying it) I found the striker being involved and saw more central play. In short, how he used space was just simply much better than how I did.

Saying that, there are still issues where a central pass can be made, but the player on the ball doesn't do it. Movement can also be a bit better in some cases. It's a big balancing act because just increasing that could see matches produce huge scorelines.

I agree with this. Balancing must be difficult, but at this point I’d rather see 9-9 scorelines with lots of central play and go from there, than realistic scorelines with goals from crosses, long shots, balls over the top or penalties.

@ceefax the cat, @Johnny Ace - what would you guys say if we create a megathread in the bugs section and we all post our PKMs and tactics with details in there and discuss? I’m willing to give this issue one more shot if it will lead to anything, because the game is good (excepting the ME issues) and it’s a bit shameful that central play is putting a stamp onto it.

Obviously everyone else is welcome to contribute.

Edit - sorry for double post.

Edited by Armistice

3 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

Do your midfielders combine with them and play through balls through the middle for them? Do they play each other in? I think we must be talking about different things

They do.
Now, having said that. I am playing a 4-4-2 with an automatic focus on the attacking wingers. So most of my play go out wide.
But there are some nice through-balls from my creative middle that are sometimes scored and sometimes not.
At times the through-balls can be overhit and/or inaccurate (which i blame on the quality of the players. they're pretty rubbish) and other times they are pretty nice to see. Striker finishing in the far corner of the GK, out of reach.

My poacher seem to be sniffing at the offside-line, sitting on the shoulder making runs behind the defenders waiting/hoping for a through-ball to come. Which it does now and then.
If it doesn't he adjusts and positions himself differently for the play that actually happens.

They try some triangle-passing as well sometimes but that is an exception, as i've instructed them to play more direct and with the wingers on attack they opt to give the ball to the
attacking winger(-s). 

I saw this being reported for FM19 as well and i can't really argue against it.
But had i gone with only my own experience there i would never have noticed an issue. It was the same setup i had there and i never saw it.
My players combined beautifully. Small passes, direct passes, through-balls, crosses, 1v1s, long shots, headers etc.
And it's the same for me now. Albeit not as much (possibly due to it being an issue?) because my players aren't really good enough to do it regularly.

Atleast we dont have to pay out any juicy goal scoring bonuses to our forwards , guess thats something 😀 On a serious note, i rather have the first beta ME back than this...Atleast The forwards scored ( although not one on one ) Jimenez for over 30 in a season..now its doubtful IF Messi scores 20 without penalties 

5 minutes ago, eye-switcher said:

Atleast we dont have to pay out any juicy goal scoring bonuses to our forwards , guess thats something 😀 On a serious note, i rather have the first beta ME back than this...Atleast The forwards scored ( although not one on one ) Jimenez for over 30 in a season..now its doubtful IF Messi scores 20 without penalties 

I totally disagree...

My striker Moussa Dembele has scored 32 goals in 37 games. I had the same ratio with the first Beta whereas he only scored a dozen of goals in one season in 20.1. This ME is way better than the public-beta.

I've changed my roles in a 4-4-2 to Target Man and Pressing Forward (from Advanced Forward and Poacher) and I'm getting goals with my forwards again.

Edited by Robioto

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Go for it @Armistice, I'll add what I can but I'm a bit burnt out from it 

@roykela you sum up there pretty much what I experienced with a 4-4-2 last night , I thoroughly enjoyed it 

I can understand why.
I've always loved 4-4-2 but it really unlocked on FM19.
Continuing in the same style on FM20 now and it's wonderful.
I can't wait to improve my squad or get to a bigger club with better players.
If i get half of what i managed on FM19 then i'll be a happy manager.
I'm just afraid of it being an exploitive tactic without me knowing it. But the football is wonderful.

Really hope they manage to fix the issues for those that are experiencing it though.

23 minutes ago, Ailleurs said:

I totally disagree...

My striker Moussa Dembele has scored 32 goals in 37 games. I had the same ratio with the first Beta whereas he only scored a dozen of goals in one season in 20.1. This ME is way better than the public-beta.

well i'm afraid I am the opposite to you from 19 in 32 to 3 in 20 sucks and destroys the players legacy Haaland should be coming into his prime not burning out

Osimhen 1 goal in 14 games!

apture.PNG

ture.PNG

ure.PNG

Edited by FMLegend1983

Most goals IRL come from crosses and play out wide. Nearly all modern teams try and create overloads via fullbacks. 

Play happens through the middle in FM fairly realistically from my perspective. I see nice slide rule passes maybe 10 times per season. But you barely see those kinds of passes IRL either. 

That's not to say there isn't an issue with players favouring balls out wide when there is a much easier and more productive pass forward down the middle for them. 

I really dislike the new UEFA Meh League. Finishing 7th in PL feels like a punishment. Europa League can at least give you Champions League next year but there is literally no point to even bother about this tournament if you play in good league. Just more meaningless matches. Maybe it's good for youngsters, I guess...

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

What does "stays at the bottom" mean? What IS his actual familiarity? Is it 'Accomplished'? If it is, then that's good enough. I don't think it's possible for a player to become 'Natural' in a position.

1F2B0B6B-2B83-4A24-B106-EE480B556DF1.jpeg

So after further games, I see differences between this and FM19. 

Whereas in FM19 there were no passes to be playing to the striker, as he constantly found himself boxed in between the defense, in FM20, the problem is that there ARE passes to be made, but are not being taken. 

Saw a few people uploading PKMs of this during the Beta as well, so it's a running issue. 

I find that in my tactics, my striker or wide forwards will make space and make a run, but the pass that's in in favour of a sideways pass or out wide to the wingbacks. This is also on counter attacks. If it's a 2v1 on a defender, a player will prefer to run himself rather than playing the through ball in the middle, for a more central chance. This usually results in a shot that's wider of the goal instead. 

On top of that, something that's bugged me on counter attacks since FM18 is the way the wingers play. On the counter, you'd have your striker running through centre, and if they're pacy, beating their man. If your winger is running out wide, the natural option here is to play a ball through the middle for the striker to run onto goal with. That's the natural choice. Instead, they choose to run to the byline and cross or back pass. 

On top of this, the wingbacks don't seem to listen to PI's. If you're asking them to stay wide, they're still cutting into the box. Given I have two wide forwards already going in, this gives them space to lash off shots. 

The problem with wide players here, is they also need more dynamism about them. The only move I see Rashford making, as my Inside Forward, is to try to bear his man, and run to the goal line, then shoot a rather pathetic attempt that has no chance of scoring. We don't see many cutbacks for a shot, or changes in direction. And if he reaches the goal line wide he HAS to pass. Shots from there are just ridiculous. 

Finally, onto this 1v1 issue. I feel it should be relative to the player. Although we've got composure and Finishing as attributes, players are still missing. A good example is Harry Kane. If he's through on goal, you'd bet on him scoring over missing more often than not 9 times out of 10. However, Lukaku would give you doubts. In FM20, you don't see the differences and it's all interlinked. Although this is challenging, I imagine it's better than seeing your star forward missing golden opportunities. For teams who rely on one or two counter attacking opportunities, this will give you a headache. 

Anyway, that's my two cents. 

I've struggled with addictions in the past, one being this game before I got clean from it. FM20 has me fallen off the wagon big time. Addicted to this game again. Thanks SI. 

I am still on my original BETA save from Beta release day and loving it. I'm not really seeing the ME problems but maybe don't over-analyse too much. What I see I enjoy, variety in ME improves year on year for me and the players do what I'd kind of expect or ask in tune with their ability and my tactic.

7 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Finally, onto this 1v1 issue. I feel it should be relative to the player. Although we've got composure and Finishing as attributes, players are still missing. A good example is Harry Kane. If he's through on goal, you'd bet on him scoring over missing more often than not 9 times out of 10. However, Lukaku would give you doubts. In FM20, you don't see the differences and it's all interlinked. Although this is challenging, I imagine it's better than seeing your star forward missing golden opportunities. For teams who rely on one or two counter attacking opportunities, this will give you a headache.

Spot on.

Imo, it's way better to have a striker with high physical attributes in FM20, because as you said, finishing attributes seem like they're completely irrelevant.
On my Inter save, Lukaku scored way more than Lautaro.
On my Villa save, Wesley has been way more useful than Edouard, even when I don't use him as a target man.

24 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

I feel it should be relative to the player. Although we've got composure and Finishing as attributes, players are still missing. A good example is Harry Kane. If he's through on goal, you'd bet on him scoring over missing more often than not 9 times out of 10. However, Lukaku would give you doubts. In FM20, you don't see the differences and it's all interlinked. Although this is challenging, I imagine it's better than seeing your star forward missing golden opportunities.

Oh yes, I also agree. Currently it doesn't seem to matter if your striker is world class or non league, the chance of converting 1v1 is the same and it feels like attributes doesn't matter in this case.

about central play issues in possession style tactics. forwards being too static once the ball is around box is ofcourse obvious thing. but i would be carefull here, strikers ending games with less than 15 passing attempts is usual in real football. it should depend more on mental attributes (teamwork, work rate) how much support attackers offer. one thing missing right now is that they don't move to the flanks at all (especially lone central strikers). there are instances when space opens for intelligent run, where overloads could happen but they never offer support to fullbacks out wide. only solution FBs have then is to cross or pass back to central midfield. wide forwards behave same, they move centrally too quickly. but i must say this part  has improved a lot, i really like how FBs wait with the ball now, they only need a little more support. support duty strikers should do that much more frequently, attack duty a little less. also when ''WTBIB'' is ticked forwards should offer even more support to wide area imo.

default role selection with too many players with ''take more risks'' is really bad for central play and possessional tactics, because it means ''risky'' balls will be played to overlapping FBs and to wide area much more frequently. it is more usefull in reteining possession to have less such roles. but the main problem to me it seems that creative players, especially playmakers and IFs are simply not dangerus enough, they are simply not making those final through balls, intelligent passes in final third or playing one-two's, which could then relish final cutbacks inside the box. that's missing currently unfortunatly. inside forwards' game needs improvement, their dribbling looks odd, running down the line or to another flank. once they manage to dribble to their stronger foot and cut inside they should pose far more threat than currently. again one-two's, shooting from range, intelligent pass into space for striker are not there from what i've seen.   

I still think the old 'target man' and 'target man supply' options (i.e. not just current target man role attracting long balls) would help involving strikers and create different playing styles. In my experience wide players (both full backs or wingers) have been the only real playmakers, and they look like they enjoy ostracizing strikers: they go into area and shoot from impossible angles, refuse to square the ball, they don't cross but when they do it's usually a backwards pass outside the box for a midfielder shooting.

Edited by kandersson

Not sure if this is a bug or not - but on my MacBook when I press continue and the inbox opens up I used to be able to just press the up arrow and it would go through the inbox. I now have to click on something first to be able to do this. Is this by design? Is there an option to turn this feature on?

@Seb Wassell

• SI Staff
Just now, craiigman said:

Not sure if this is a bug or not - but on my MacBook when I press continue and the inbox opens up I used to be able to just press the up arrow and it would go through the inbox. I now have to click on something first to be able to do this. Is this by design? Is there an option to turn this feature on?

@Seb Wassell

Could you post here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/726-football-manager-2020-bugs-forum/

4 minutes ago, craiigman said:

@Seb Wassell

I reported this yesterday. It's under review.

3 hours ago, eye-switcher said:

I play a very standard 4-2-3-1 with Arsenal.  Aubameyang isn't my default penalty taker - he probably takes a quarter of them, with Luiz and Pepe splitting the rest.  Aubameyang also doesn't take free kicks.  He won the World Golden Ball, Footballer of the Year, World Player of the Year and a bunch of other year-end minor awards with 21 goals in 19 games.  Yeah, a lot of them are from crosses, but I've seen a good variety of crosses - high and lofted, low and hard, whipped in, from the byline, from deep.  I've also seen one or two through balls, but a lot of that is because it's frickin' packed in the middle.  I routinely see AI teams with nine men in the penalty area. 

42 minutes ago, kandersson said:

I still think the old 'target man' and 'target man supply' options (i.e. not just current target man role attracting long balls) would help involving strikers and create different playing styles. In my experience wide players (both full backs or wingers) have been the only real playmakers, and they look like they enjoy ostracizing strikers: they go into area and shoot from impossible angles, refuse to square the ball, they don't cross but when they do it's usually a backwards pass outside the box for a midfielder shooting.

I miss those options.  I liked taking a short guy with great technique and first touch and making him a target man with the Pass To Feet supply type.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

I am training some players to get used to new positions. But for some reason the "additional focus" is sometimes cancelled after a few weeks. I then have to pick it again, and the cycle goes on. Really strange. And my assistant manager has nothing to do with individual training. 

2 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Spot on.

Imo, it's way better to have a striker with high physical attributes in FM20, because as you said, finishing attributes seem like they're completely irrelevant.
On my Inter save, Lukaku scored way more than Lautaro.
On my Villa save, Wesley has been way more useful than Edouard, even when I don't use him as a target man.

Problem is, realistically finishing Attributes may influence as finishing is a skill. But the Chance (and amount) is ridiculously more important than the Player who has it. An issue may be if simple pace Merchants get into those positions too oftenly, as their supbar off the ball movement and decisions should prohibit them from doing this as regular as say, Cavani. Given that the AI doesn't get the few actually elite Players firing as much as they do in General, who knows. 

Buying better "finishers" has never been a fix for Long-term finishing issues on FM (and shouldN't be btw.). That's Always been a tactical issue as the root cause, as tactics on both Ends of FM's pitches influence what Kind of chances average would transpire. It's one of the bigger misconceptioins, In-game, and otherwise. What Clubs in Football spend on is the hope of gaining any extra percentage (and extra goal) over opposition they can. There's a reason likewise why on FM some get "average" Forwards scoring consistently any release; and meanwhile the AI struggles to get Messi going. Subsequent Patches addressing central Play may better that some; however I'll be watching with interest whether that would Change Things. :D 

Edited by Svenc

• SI Staff
25 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I am training some players to get used to new positions. But for some reason the "additional focus" is sometimes cancelled after a few weeks. I then have to pick it again, and the cycle goes on. Really strange. And my assistant manager has nothing to do with individual training. 

Could you post here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/743-training-medical-and-development-centre/

Were there more changes than publicised with the match engine in yesterday's update. The difference between pre patch and post has been huge for me

- majority of penalties missed

- lack of goals from open play

- strikers not scoring

- So many unintelligent shots from crossing/passing positions

The release version of the match engine was great,  it feels like it went back to the first version during Beta overnight. 

Happy to bet proven wrong but thought I'd raise it and see if others were noticing a big difference

32 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Buying better "finishers" has never been a fix for Long-term finishing issues on FM (and shouldN't be btw.).

Why shouldn't it be?
For example, if I'm playing a counter-attacking football with a mid-table team where I can't expect my striker to have more then a couple of chances, I obviously want a better striker who'll take advantage of those.
I'm talking about completely clear chances where there are no defenders contesting and the striker can do whatever he wants. I've seen maybe one situation where striker runs free in a 1v1 from like 30-40m, gets to the box and then rounds the keeper who's out  all the way to the penalty spot or so. Noone ever chipped the keeper for example. And like zero shots which are close to the keeper go through. When in reality that's how the most 1v1s are scored.
Or you're telling us that counter-attacking tactics shouldn't be a thing, but that every tactic's goalscoring should come from sheer volume of chances?
I simply lose all the motivation to play the game when my team is doing everything more or less perfectly, but then squanders half a dozen chances every game. Sure, bad games happen and you can't win them all, but that's just the pattern.

Example, my current situation:
yd13LEa.png

Lacazette is the only striker on the top scorers list.
Out of his 9 goals, 5 were in 80th minute or later and didn't change the final outcome if we talk points.
Two more were in the second half when Arsenal was already up and only two were in the first and can be classified as important goals.

9th of January. Not a single striker in double digits.
And we all know how many great strikers play in EPL, with high stats across the board.
That just simply can't be right.

The reason why I posted this view instead of just the goalscorers is the shots on target ratio.
Berardi leads it with 70%. 17/24 in 14 appearances. Zero goals. From 17 shots on target. With 14 finishing, composure and first touch.
And the worst thing is that he should have way more than 24 shots considering the positions he was in. And this isn't just one player, this happens with every player.
Forwards being useless and midfielders scoring from the edge of the area. Might awell try a striker-less formation.
But what's the avail of posting this when you're gonna claim "it's the tactics".
If the highest number of goals for a striker in EPL after 19 games is 9 and no other has more than 7, then it's not the tactics.
And I bet that if I looked at the replays, I'd find that a good amount of those striker goals comes from set pieces.
Lacazette being the only outlier because Arsenal use him as a super-sub and he just finishes off the opposition in already decided games.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Look at the stats and compare them to FM.
Sterling won the top scorer in first season with 18 goals on my save.

Should just play for set pieces and use 4 midfielders who surge in front of the box. Goalscoring numbers would be higher for sure.

Edited by GunmaN1905

When people talk about strikers finishing, what sort of return are they looking for? I'm intrigued.

I'm in my third season with Southampton and we're doing well. I've got Richarlison (the one from Everton) playing as a False Nine in a very standard 4-3-3. In 17 appearances this season he's had 65 shots, he's hit 49% on target and scored 10. So roughly four shots a game, 2 of which are on target, and his on target conversion rate is around one in three. How does that compare to real life? Sounds decent to me.

My other striker is pretty similar. 12 appearances. 42 shots of which 48% were on target and he has scored 5, so he's converting around 25% of his shots on target.

vor 18 Minuten schrieb seagull84:

Were there more changes than publicised with the match engine in yesterday's update. The difference between pre patch and post has been huge for me

- majority of penalties missed

- lack of goals from open play

- strikers not scoring

- So many unintelligent shots from crossing/passing positions

The release version of the match engine was great,  it feels like it went back to the first version during Beta overnight. 

Happy to bet proven wrong but thought I'd raise it and see if others were noticing a big difference

No changes in any of the parts you describe. 

11 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

When people talk about strikers finishing, what sort of return are they looking for? I'm intrigued.

I'm looking for the game to be at least a bit more realistic.
As in strikers being top scorers, or at least regularly breaking the 20 goals in the league mark.
If Sterling is top EPL scorer with 18 goals in the first season of my save, you can't deny something's wrong.

And them scoring "striker" goals. You know, winger passing it in the middle after beating his man instead of blasting it towards the near post or running all the way to the byline and then playing a backpass to a midfielder.

As someone wrote before, difference between strikers in beta and now is that the conversion rate is good, but they're not getting any passes when they're wide open.

19 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

I'm in my third season with Southampton and we're doing well. I've got Richarlison (the one from Everton) playing as a False Nine in a very standard 4-3-3. In 17 appearances this season he's had 65 shots, he's hit 49% on target and scored 10. So roughly four shots a game, 2 of which are on target, and his on target conversion rate is around one in three. How does that compare to real life? Sounds decent to me.

My other striker is pretty similar. 12 appearances. 42 shots of which 48% were on target and he has scored 5, so he's converting around 25% of his shots on target.

I think there might be a perception that finishing is tuned low because shot numbers are high.  I'm not sure how that compares to real football though.  It has felt in FM that it's very easy to create lots of low-quality chances, even when you're not meaning to.  Combine that with some interactions of the match engine where chances that look like they ought to be low-quality are going in at a high rate and chances that look like they should have high conversion rates don't, and it becomes very easy to say "this is wrong" even without being able to put your finger on exactly what or why.

When I get home I'll look at my strikers to see what their conversion rates are.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

As in strikers being top scorers, or at least regularly breaking the 20 goals in the league mark.
If Sterling is top EPL scorer with 18 goals in the first season of my save, you can't deny something's wrong.

And them scoring "striker" goals. You know, winger passing it in the middle after beating his man instead of blasting it towards the near post or running all the way to the byline and then playing a backpass to a midfielder.

As someone wrote before, difference between strikers in beta and now is that the conversion rate is good, but they're not getting any passes when they're wide open.

I don't know, Raheem Sterling being top scorer doesn't seem that far-fetched.  He scored 17 goals last year and finished 6th. Top scorer last year was three players on 22, so 18 is a low.  I've done that first season of the EPL a couple times now and seen a range of outcomes from Liverpool going nearly unbeaten and having multiple 10-goal games to Liverpool finishing 9th.  The top scorer in my current save is probably going to end up with somewhere around 30 goals, so I'd be inclined to think that 18 is a bit of an outlier.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

That's what I'd want too. For what it's worth after 16 games in my third season the top 4 scorers in the EPL are all strikers (Martinez, Aubameyang, Wilson and Abraham) and all are scoring at the rate of a goal every other game - so all are on track to get near 20 EPL goals in a season. It doesn't feel way off in my save.

6 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

That's what I'd want too. For what it's worth after 16 games in my third season the top 4 scorers in the EPL are all strikers (Martinez, Aubameyang, Wilson and Abraham) and all are scoring at the rate of a goal every other game - so all are on track to get near 20 EPL goals in a season. It doesn't feel way off in my save.

Is Aubameyang playing as a striker?  In my experience the AI has wanted to play him as an inside forward on the left, using Lacazette as the central striker.