Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

Just now, Lempicka said:

IRL Man City currently lead the 'hitting the woodwork' charts with 11 in 12 games. I think considering most FM matches have more shots at goal than IRL - current FM figures are not that excessive.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/hit_woodwork

That's a huge outlier though, not consistent with other teams in the league, nor previous seasons.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, rjferguson90 said:

Agree with the point you're making in essence (that both shots on goal and woodwork hits are too high), but I'd wager the goals scored per match aren't proportionate to those inflated stats. FM19 had the same problem. 

it makes the opponent keeper have very high ratings...each game, the opponent keeper has a avg of 7 or more

2 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

IRL Man City currently lead the 'hitting the woodwork' charts with 11 in 12 games. I think considering most FM matches have more shots at goal than IRL - current FM figures are not that excessive.

just what @rjferguson90 said. also, thats in 12 games...it could very well stay on 11 for the next 10 games or so. i'm hitting it twice a game, so in comparison, i would have hit the woodwork around 24 times in 12 games...City hitting it just under 1 each games, i'm hitting it 1.8 or so each game

Zitat

By comparison, my team (highest scorers in the league), had a total of 801 shots across 46 league games (17 per game), with the woodwork being hit 55 times (1.19 per game) in total. 

Team scored 90 goals, a goal every 8.9 shots. 

That seems fine to me. 

It may seem fine to you. But it's totally not.

City and Chelsea hit the woodwork 21 in 38 games in the prem last season.

Hoffenheim 27 in 34 games in the Bundesliga.

And these are the outlier teams.

Just now, RDF Tactics said:

just what @rjferguson90 said. also, thats in 12 games...it could very well stay on 11 for the next 10 games or so. i'm hitting it twice a game, so in comparison, i would have hit the woodwork around 24 times in 12 games...City hitting it just under 1 each games, i'm hitting it 1.8 or so each game

Maybe your strikers should train shooting accuracy more

8 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

The point I'm trying to make is that IRL the stats are lower because generally FM teams have mores shots at goal than IRL. 

If we use Liverpool for example. They've have 199 shots this season, which is around 16 per match. However, if you're playing as Liverpool in FM, with say an attacking gegenpress, your shots would be considerably higher and therefore the chances of hitting the post will increase.

7 hours ago, BigV said:

Yeah true, saw 2 games in where mctominay overlapped pogba, wanted to boil my eyes out but it's not like that is happening IRL atm :rolleyes: 

I think that tends to happen when near goal scoring oppertunities or somewhat near a narrow team as your fullback (assuming that's a wingback considering how high he is maybe in support or attack?) but it's almost like an IF kinda area unless he has a trait to get into the area or box? The more narrow they go they tend to stay close and probably does stifle but then i'd expect the others to push wide and create that space as you said you play wide. I'd probably post that in the bug forums or analyse a few more and see if does the same and post PKM's. Good find tho and good try on the multi quote xD

McTominay overlapping is insane! I might have to start a save with Man U, I like the look of McTominay as a BMW & I've never managed Pogba, might be worth it's own thread in the tactics section  

That guy was a FB-S (he does look rather high up the pitch), but yeah, I'd expect the AML/R to be wider of the centrebacks, I'll keep tabs on it  :thup:

2 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

The point I'm trying to make is that IRL the stats are lower because generally FM teams have mores shots at goal than IRL. 

If we use Liverpool for example. They've have 199 shots this season, which is around 16 per match. However, if you're playing as Liverpool in FM, with say an attacking gegenpress, your shots would be considerably higher and therefore the chances of hitting the post will increase.

bare in mind its not every game i have a lot of shots in...funny enough, the better the opponent to more shots i have haha but i just played burnley, registered 9 shots, 2 hit the woodwork, keeper saved 7 and game finished 0-0...it just seems like an obvious mechanism to stop me scoring more. i can understand the odd game here and there, but its every game...if i have 2 shots, i feel 1 would hit the woodwork

Are others finding that strikers don't score that many and miss a lot of very good chances, including awful shots which go miles wide under no pressure? It's not like they aren't getting several chances.

In my first 10-12 games or so my top two CF have two goals each but are being outscored by my two central midfielders (who have scored mainly screamers) and central defenders (set pieces).

I won one game 7-1 and the goalscorers were DC 3, DL 1, MC 2 & SC 1, with 3 set piece goals from the DCs and 3 screamers from range for the MC and DL goals, the striker scored a tap in from a rebound after another 30 yarder from my MC.

I'm also getting pretty fed up with my wingers running to the byline and shooting into the side netting.

It just feels off... Might be my tactics, but I'm just playig a flat 4-4-2 and it is creating a lot of chances, I'm just not taking them and scoring from 30 yards and set pieces instead.

Edited by Robioto

1 minute ago, Robioto said:

Are others finding that strikers don't score that many and miss a lot of very good chances, including awful shots which go miles wide under no pressure? It not like they aren't getting several chances.

In my first 10-12 games or so my top two CF have two goals each but are being outscored by my two central midfielders (who have scored mainly screamers) and central defenders (set pieces).

I won one game 7-1 and the goalscorers were DC 3, DL 1, MC 2 & SC 1, with 3 set piece goals from the DCs and 3 screamers from range for the MC and DL goals, the striker scored a tap in from a rebound after another 30 yarder from my MC.

I'm also getting pretty fed up with my wingers running to the byline and shooting into the side netting.

It just feels off...

Hard to say without seeing your set-up, probably one for the tactic boards

Log wonky wingers with PKMS as it is still a thing at the moment, have seen it a few times 

27 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

This is a big problem with this forum, people complain about stuff being excessive in game but never compare it to real life statistics. Which we know for a fact SI do!

Just now, TheInvisibleMan said:

This is a big problem with this forum, people complain about stuff being excessive in game but never compare it to real life statistics. Which we know for a fact SI do!

you obviously didnt do your comparisons then...because in comparison, its still excessive...also, Man city is just one team, this stats are from one season, this is consistent thing

Into february in my first season and having a blast so far. I love how fast the game moves between matches now. Feels like much faster moving through a season than last year. And a big thanks to all the SI staff for getting the bug dealt with quickly on release day. Good work as always folks!

Hi. When I click continue to advance time, I want the landing screen to be my inbox, and not news or social media. I never want to use those screens so it's a little jarring to have to click away from it every time.

There used to be a setting in previous iterations of FM for this in preferences, but I can't find it. Can anyone help please?

Edited by Bry

vor 18 Minuten schrieb TheInvisibleMan:

Funny thing is, that is exactly what you just did. Man City is a total outlier this season. (Last season for example they hit the woodwork 24 times in 38 games and this was the highest stat in the league)

20 minutes ago, Bry said:

Hi. When I click continue to advance time, I want the landing screen to be my inbox, and not news or social media. I never want to use those screens so it's a little jarring to have to click away from it every time.

There used to be a setting in previous iterations of FM for this in preferences, but I can't find it. Can anyone help please?

Open Preferences -> Search for 'Screen Flow' -> Press Screen Flow button -> Uncheck 'Visit News Screens Automatically'.

6 minutes ago, Robsontist said:

Funny thing is, that is exactly what you just did. Man City is a total outlier this season. (Last season for example they hit the woodwork 24 times in 38 games and this was the highest stat in the league)

But in FM, teams generally have more shots than their real life counterparts. I would imagine this is why in FM shots hitting the woodwork stats are higher.

41 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

By that logic there also should be consistent non-realistic scorelines then, in keeping with the inflated FM shots on goal, but scorelines are generally similar to real-life.

I just can't believe people don't think there's a woodwork issue, it was the same of FM19 and I posted about it then too. It's just not consistent with real life at all. I agree that there there are also too many shots on goal in FM, which may contribute to the woodwork problem, but that's not an excuse for it, and it dilutes the immersion.

4 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

But in FM, teams generally have more shots than their real life counterparts. I would imagine this is why in FM shots hitting the woodwork stats are higher.

nobody isn't saying the woodwork stats shouldn't be higher, its common sense and law of averages woodwork would be hit more times when have so many more shots...but its too much is what we are saying. at this rate, it would be hit 100+ times...so far its 88 times, i've scored 104. i've only scored 18 more times i've hit the woodwork..compare that percentage with real life stats and im in Feb.

18 hours ago, Glenn Wakeford said:

We've released a hotfix to address the attributes issue. Please read this thread for details.

Has there been any news regarding IF SI are able to fix ongoing saves?

I'm 10 hours into a save and I don't really want to start over. But I also don't want to play with this bug...

Edited by KongeMeier

10 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

nobody isn't saying the woodwork stats shouldn't be higher, its common sense and law of averages woodwork would be hit more times when have so many more shots...but its too much is what we are saying. at this rate, it would be hit 100+ times...so far its 88 times, i've scored 104. i've only scored 18 more times i've hit the woodwork..compare that percentage with real life stats and im in Feb.

I haven't seen it this excessive in my save. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you report it in the Bugs forum.

I'm getting sick of seeing the countless times my players are asking for an improved contract, even from newly signed players. It's become ridiculous that I have to sort contracts for players every season rather than them just getting on and playing... Has anyone else experienced the constant demands for new contracts, even though they're already on a high wage and only signed a year ago?

Does anyone know what attributes affect the demands for a new contract (outside of the obvious playing time), is it high ambition and low loyalty?

To add, playing time happiness is ridiculous. I have players with 40+ games a season with slight rotation when their condition is low 90s or lesser games and they become alienated... why/how can they feel alienated? 

Edited by Sevkak

33 minutes ago, rjferguson90 said:

By that logic there also should be consistent non-realistic scorelines then, in keeping with the inflated FM shots on goal, but scorelines are generally similar to real-life.

I just can't believe people don't think there's a woodwork issue, it was the same of FM19 and I posted about it then too. It's just not consistent with real life at all. I agree that there there are also too many shots on goal in FM, which may contribute to the woodwork problem, but that's not an excuse for it, and it dilutes the immersion.

I regularly hit the woodwork three or four times in a game, which is just annoying.

26 minutes ago, KongeMeier said:

Has there been any news regarding IF SI are able to fix ongoing saves?

I'm 10 hours into a save and I don't really want to start over. But I also don't want to play with this bug...

When we know more we'll let you know as normal, until then we can't give out any specific details. Thanks for your patience.

So I don't think this is a bug as such, so I haven't posted this in the bugs section, but playing on a Friday after a Tuesday Champions League game never happens. It can't even be due to fixture congestion as there's plenty of time between these two fixtures and the next one too. 

2003001621_Screenshot(5).thumb.png.ac37de7514da6690a3855690655debb9.png

2 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

So I don't think this is a bug as such, so I haven't posted this in the bugs section, but playing on a Friday after a Tuesday Champions League game never happens. It can't even be due to fixture congestion as there's plenty of time between these two fixtures and the next one too. 

2003001621_Screenshot(5).thumb.png.ac37de7514da6690a3855690655debb9.png

Not that I've looked into it but how did you get the U23 and u18 icons under Dev Centre - not loaded the full game up but I didn't think that was there in the Beta

I don't know if this is just a placebo but my team is performing considerably worse without Pogba on the pitch. So I'm thinking is it finally the FM in which the difference between the star player and his sub represented as in real life. I'm hoping it is..

11 minutes ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

Not that I've looked into it but how did you get the U23 and u18 icons under Dev Centre - not loaded the full game up but I didn't think that was there in the Beta

You have to take control of something u23 u18 related eg training

Just my impressions of the game so far, having played 2 seasons.

•  1 on 1's are still useless. I have never seen a striker miss so many chances, a lot are nearer the corner flag then the goal. It's so bad it's now meant that I've already gone to instant result.
  •  Penalty's are a joke, but this matter has been reported so nothing else needs to be said.
  •  Long shots are way too powerful.
  •  Little thing like a defender clearing the ball. Has so much time to turn around and clear the ball up front or even out for a throw in, but instead will just put it out for a corner first time.

Honestly just hoping that there is going to be another patch to this game, because there are so many problems during matches, that I'm already wandering what the difference between this FM and FM19 is. 

3 minutes ago, Watson156 said:

Little thing like a defender clearing the ball. Has so much time to turn around and clear the ball up front or even out for a throw in, but instead will just put it out for a corner first time.

Something like this you may want to get reported with pkm's. Sometimes its an ME issue but there can also be times where its down to animations net reflecting what is happening so well. 

Played a couple of friendlies in the demo. Thoughts so far.

Positives

- General play seems a bit better in the match engine. No constant blocked crosses and shots and most of the action doesn't seem to come from the ball being pinged about and then crossed in from the wings, so that's good.
- Setting up a system of fines for missed training, going AWOL etc. is much needed.

Negatives (there are more of these)

- Players still only have short hair or are bald. Witsel is a white man with short hair. It's absurd.
- The stadiums still do not look any more realistic. I know, licensing issues, but an olympic track, copyrighted? Come on.
- I am not noticing these different body structures that the players are supposed to have. The managers look better though.
- Penalties. It has been mentioned I think. 2 penalties in one of my friendlies, and the player didn't fall over in the box for either of them. When was the last time IRL a ref gave a penalty if a player stayed on his feet?
- Sound is completely out of sync. No cheering when a goal goes in, but then on the reply, loud cheering. Huh?
- While the match engine is generally a bit more varied, it often seems like players just run through others at times.

Verdict

Not likely to buy game.

32 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Something like this you may want to get reported with pkm's. Sometimes its an ME issue but there can also be times where its down to animations net reflecting what is happening so well. 

Ok thanks for this. I will start making a copy of these instances. 

• SI Staff
8 hours ago, Rober82 said:

So the Leverkusen board wont let me sign Thilo Kehrer, a german player under 23, cause he`s not based in germany.
Is it supposed to be like this?

Leverkusens vision rightly enough says " sign players based in germany", along with "sign german players" and "sign under 23s" but come on. He fits two out of three.

Do you really think they care about the fact that Im buying him from PSG, and not Hertha Berlin?
Just 5 million pounds for one of the best german CBs, but nope. That wont do.

It seems rather funny :)

Would be worth raising here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/742-transfers-contracts-and-staff-responsibilities/

Tried the demo still in preseason, first impressions about ME...football looks really really solid, untill final third. players' decisions are strange once the ball is around box, constantly looking to play the ball out wide. striker isolation (and central play) is still an issue, it feels you could easily play without striker and wouldn't notice it. one touch passing looks nice but without ball ever reaching supportive striker, it looks a little weird and repetative. still too early to judge but AI tactics looks improved, more defensive tactics play like they should, counter attacking seems effective. must admit i've seen some really good football from AI. haven't had too many 1-on-1's, but have noticed weird shooting from wide players and ignoring simple passing options, like ignoring striker even when pass to him is really simple.

game in general looks really nice, as well as new stuff i've spoted. well done to everybody at SI. i don't doubt most of issues will be fixed. 

Oh a couple more negatives.

- During my friendly, Virgil van Dijk, who was playing for the opponents Liverpool, became overwhelmed by the pressure (in a friendly). Within a few minutes and with Liverpool winning, in a friendly I would like to repeat, the entire Liverpool team became overwhelmed by the pressure. Huh?

- Transfer offers for you players. You still get 4 or 5 offers that are exactly the same from different clubs, and often (too often) non negotiable.

• SI Staff
8 hours ago, Rober82 said:

So the Leverkusen board wont let me sign Thilo Kehrer, a german player under 23, cause he`s not based in germany.
Is it supposed to be like this?

Leverkusens vision rightly enough says " sign players based in germany", along with "sign german players" and "sign under 23s" but come on. He fits two out of three.

Do you really think they care about the fact that Im buying him from PSG, and not Hertha Berlin?
Just 5 million pounds for one of the best german CBs, but nope. That wont do.

It seems rather funny :)

Thanks for the feedback. 

This is one we are aware of and we are looking into the problem. 

13 hours ago, FrazT said:

There are never specific times publicised for update releases for many reasons, but you will find out pretty quickly on the forums.

This is regards a hotfix for the attribute issue on Touch on iOS. I’m not getting any reply on the Touch forum. I’d just like to know of this is happening today, in a week, a month?

1 minute ago, Burty76 said:

This is regards a hotfix for the attribute issue on Touch on iOS. I’m not getting any reply on the Touch forum. I’d just like to know of this is happening today, in a week, a month?

Yes, and as he said SI never give a set deadline for updates or patches. It'll be ready when it's ready.

Just now, KlaaZ said:

Yes, and as he said SI never give a set deadline for updates or patches. It'll be ready when it's ready.

Apart from yesterday when they said they were aiming to get the hotfix out later that day (which they did). Thanks for your reply though mate :thup:

Okay, something weird has happened. I won my Europa League group and I should qualify for first knockout round, right? Well, no, I got straight to second knockout round (seems like teams from P1 got to second round and teams that finished second in the group got to play round one). It gets even more interesting, as there is only one match, no second leg. So I wonder, is it a bug or are there going to be some rules changes?

8lnbz6W.png

3 minutes ago, Iwabik said:

Okay, something weird has happened. I won my Europa League group and I should qualify for first knockout round, right? Well, no, I got straight to second knockout round (seems like teams from P1 got to second round and teams that finished second in the group got to play round one). It gets even more interesting, as there is only one match, no second leg. So I wonder, is it a bug or are there going to be some rules changes?

8lnbz6W.png

Holy hell, I'm an idiot. I've completely forgotten about the whole UEFA Competitions revamp that's supposed to happen. Nevermind.

Why is the area to the left of Maguire and right of Tuanzebe being listed as areas of minor issues? Surely this isn't right. It's only prevalent when I select a Defensive tactic template. If I choose Control Possession or Tiki-Taka, etc. it's not there. And it effects my matches. Was not there before the full release else I would have noticed. And a tactic that was highly effective away, before release, now doesn't even create three chances a game, and gets done 3-0 by CSKA Moscow? 

Just seems the two go hand in hand. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.c5d9b34abff64f75f7d321805889524b.PNG

I had to start a new save after the hotfix as my entire Dulwich Hamlet side had 1 determination (well, most of them) but otherwise I've found more positives than negatives.

The match engine is significantly better. For one example, my veteran left winger crossed with a rabona to my average height striker who nodded it away comfortably for my League 2 Swindon side. I don't think I've ever seen this before, let alone at that level. The UI is improved, the game generally feels more immersive than ever before and despite my concerns, it runs absolutely fine on my extremely average PC both in matches and generally processing between matches. Kudos to SI for the speed at which they delivered the hotfix for the determination bug but also for fixing issues from the beta.

I'm noticing weird penalty decisions but not at the same rate as others - perhaps one every three or four games so far - but each time it has certainly looked like the player won the ball. Scoring a fair share of 1 on 1 attempts, at least for L2 level.

The only problems I'm having, which are likely due to squad or tactic issues, is an awful level of decision making by my team and despite having tall, mobile central defenders, they are consistently standing and watching long passes sail over their heads as an opposition forward runs past with ease. I've noticed this in both my saves, despite my tinkering with tactics, players, adjusting defensive line, using offside trap or not, etc... Anyone else had this? I'm thinking part of it is down to lack of familiarity with tactics and low team cohesion, but it's infuriating to sit and watch my 5* rated defenders pick their noses and contemplate their post match dinner instead of, y'know, heading a football.