Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

15 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Strange decisions are part of real football too. Does it happen regularly? Is there a pattern? Then it could be a bug. Otherwise it is just bad defending in one match.

Yes, I agree that strange decisions can happen in football, but I've never seen this happen in any FM version, that's why I thought it was worth posting.

Edited by Armistice

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

I sometimes honestly wonder if people are playing a different game than me.. 

That's  because technically you were!

Prior to the patch I no doubt enjoyed the game just like you then the patch happened and it caused this ratings mayhem

but I am now back in the game again since the save compatible hotfix! 

5 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I've pumped about 25 hours into FM20 over the past couple of days & I'm really not feeling it. The ME just feels "off" to me & it's hard to nail down what the actual problem is. Negative AI? Lack of final third intelligence? I dunno, it just doesn't play out in a way I enjoy watching & it's difficult putting my finger on it. It's like, you put together a logical tactic & want to play in a certain way & you win off of set-pieces without a striker on the pitch scoring & barely getting any solid service, just doesn't do it for me

Time for a break 

3 hours ago, Iwabik said:

I guess it does since this bug affected also attributes such as consistency or important matches iirc

*edit my strikers still hardly score though i spoke way to soon match engine is still awful!

Edited by FMLegend1983
I was wrong

I dont know if its that I just played against a poor Ipswich side or did it happen something with ME?

The players just do things more naturally now it seems,my wingers take on guys and striker can even score with his weaker foot! 

32 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

Can you send me your spec from your PC (or Mac)?

Desktop PC - Custom built
Intel i7-9700K 3.6GHZ @4.7GHz
Corsair RAM 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Installed on a 1TB Intel HDD

Edited by roykela

Hmmm, anyone finding CMs to be getting poor ratings with the latest hotfix? 

I am using a 41212 that I used on the beta. My two starting CMs averaged 7.11 and 7.08 in 20 games, but now after 5 games they are averaging 6.45 and 6.50. My back-up CM is averaging 7.65 but only because he has 2 long range wonder goals off the bench - he has been getting poor ratings prior to his goals. 

Maybe just my tactic but like i say, using this exact same system was yielding reasonable ratings, whereas they are now just outright poor. 

29 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Any player in the World would play that ball, which is exactly why I can't enjoy this ME 

Though, started a new save with 1860 Munchen & first goal we score is sweet as, the signs are good  

ETA: 2nd goal sweet too

Post them haha.

Personally I think the ME is a few tweaks away from being good.

Edited by Armistice

18 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Post them haha.

I think the ME is a few tweaks away from being good.

I will in a mo, one game in & 3 long ball over the top goals, playing Balanced, standard d-line, is this gonna be a new thing?

ETA: Oh man, it's logged me out of YouTube & I can't remember my password

The longballs were nuts in that game but a lot of fun 

Edited by Johnny Ace

10 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Hmmm, anyone finding CMs to be getting poor ratings with the latest hotfix? 

I am using a 41212 that I used on the beta. My two starting CMs averaged 7.11 and 7.08 in 20 games, but now after 5 games they are averaging 6.45 and 6.50. My back-up CM is averaging 7.65 but only because he has 2 long range wonder goals off the bench - he has been getting poor ratings prior to his goals. 

Maybe just my tactic but like i say, using this exact same system was yielding reasonable ratings, whereas they are now just outright poor. 

I noticed kind of the same thing after the official release but with my defensive-minded players.
I'm over-acvhieving at the moment but my players, mostly defensive players, have a hard time getting a rating over 6.3.
Doesn't matter if we win or lose.
Actually, it seems like any player who's not involved in a goal for us will have a rating at max 6.5.
There are exceptions but not many.

In this match engine, a Centre Back can hit a pin point perfect pass across half the pitch to a winger. Regularly. 

Yet a winger can not do a 5ft cutback cross from near the byline. 

As soon as a penalty box appears, every player forgets stuff that 8 year olds learn. 

I don't know what you've changed with this latest update/hotfix but it has really affected my gameplay.

I was having so much fun, my tactic was working brilliantly and I was scoring goals for fun. Now they are missing an unhealthy amount of chances. My players are also suddenly getting a lot more bookings and injuries. My players shoot into the side netting time and time again. 

Like you've probably noticed also with wingers and full backs not crossing when basically standing on the byline. 

I sincerely hope you will revert what you did in this patch because something has gone very wrong imo. 

1 minute ago, gullibaldurs said:

I don't know what you've changed with this latest update/hotfix but it has really affected my gameplay.

I was having so much fun, my tactic was working brilliantly and I was scoring goals for fun. Now they are missing an unhealthy amount of chances. My players are also suddenly getting a lot more bookings and injuries. My players shoot into the side netting time and time again. 

Like you've probably noticed also with wingers and full backs not crossing when basically standing on the byline. 

I sincerely hope you will revert what you did in this patch because something has gone very wrong imo. 

The only thing that they changed was a savegame compatible fix for the 1 determination issue (which has no impact on the ME) and toned down penalties given. Nothing that would impact what you said. 

7 minutes ago, gullibaldurs said:

The only changes in the 2 hotfixes have been to the attributes issue and to penalties and nothing related to the ME

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Iwabik said:

My player is unhappy because he thinks I didn't keep the promise to be "best of the rest" in the PL (which is 7th place IIRC). Only we have 6 more games to play, one point less than 7th placed team and 3 games in hand! Is this a bug? Should I report it?

Without seeing your save I cannot say for certain, so it would be worth posting in the bugs forum please, but "best of the rest" is not a specific position in the league, it is wherever the gap forms between the "top" clubs and the "rest". This of course is dynamic based on in-game events.

1 hour ago, roykela said:

I noticed kind of the same thing after the official release but with my defensive-minded players.
I'm over-acvhieving at the moment but my players, mostly defensive players, have a hard time getting a rating over 6.3.
Doesn't matter if we win or lose.
Actually, it seems like any player who's not involved in a goal for us will have a rating at max 6.5.
There are exceptions but not many.

Now that you've mentioned it, you're actually bang on with this. 

In the 5 games I've played, I've won 4 and drawn 1. For context I am Werder Bremen. 

2-0 at Nordhausen (Pokal) - 7.28 avg rating*. Only players above a 7.0 were my RB who assisted, ST who scored and assisted, CM who scored. My CB got a 7.1. 

2-0 vs. Dusseldorf - 6.96 avg rating. Only players above a 6.9 were my ST who scored a brace and my LB who got assist (7.3).

1-1 at Hoffenhein - 6.70 avg rating. Only players to get above a 6.7 were my LB who got an assist (7.2) and CM off the bench who scored a worldie for an 8.2 and MOTM.

2-0 vs. Augsburg - 7.16 avg rating. 5 players above 7.0, 2 of which scored, two got a 7.2 and one got a 7.6.

1-0 at Union Berlin - 6.98 avg rating. 3 players got above a 6.9 - CB who assisted (7.1), LB (7.6) and CM who scored the only goal (7.9).

*- post-release hotfix, but not the hotfix released a few hours back. 

Maybe I'm way off here but on the beta save I had, I had 3 of the top 5 players in the Bundesliga, notably my FBs who were averaging 7.5+ and my ST who was just below 7.5. 

Right now the top performers in the Bundesliga are the players getting all of the goals and assists - if you don't contribute to a goal you get a bad rating. Which doesn't seem right to me. I mean I have 4 clean sheets in 5 games and my GK is averaging a 6.85, my CBs a 6.92 (only because he assisted!) and a 6.85 :(

12 minutes ago, FrazT said:

The only changes in the 2 hotfixes have been to the attributes issue and to penalties and nothing related to the ME

Thank you for the quick reply. 

I really do find it weird though that my team, going unbeaten for 54 games in the league, suddenly is incapable of performing after the latest update. I log on after the update and the first game is lost with me having 33 shots against 3. Since then I have been winning games here and there but everything feels different. What players are doing in similar situations doesn't compare to before. And like I said, missing an unhealthy amount of clear chances. It's not a confidence/dynamic issue because they are sky high as you can imagine after that kind of an unbeaten streak. 

I am not doubting what you are saying is correct. Maybe it's just me imagining things :) 

Edit: Today was the first time I've played since full release so maybe that is the update I am referring to. 

Edited by gullibaldurs

13 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Surely the penalties issue is an ME issue though? Which may well have a knock on effect to something else, given the delicate nature of coding. 

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Svenc said:

Does anybody know what the issue with the penalties was? If it wasn't mainly the ref Research / Attributes, Long-term this should still be given a higher priority imo. It seems Pretty clear that the gap here seems to be reasonably large Longer-term, unless mistaken. There are refs in the db who seem/ed to average at least 0.8 pens per game, whilst others barely much at all.

Whilst this may make for more exciting Gameplay (worth checking your next ref's Performance page, probably); in Football this is more consistent between refs (same as the average amohnt of bookings are/used to be within a leage/Country). Which is likely no surprise, as, despite the perception of Things being otherwise, they are all given strict Guidelines they are encouraged to follow, after all.

The attribute issue was not responsible for penalties.

10 minutes ago, Alekos said:

Ok after some games playing the demo I have noticed the most problems that have already been mentioned...

Too many 1vs1 lost because of too many long passes over the top from defenders to strikers...I am playing 4-4-2 Wing Play I have won 3 friendlies 4-0 5-0 5-0 and most of my goals came from long passes from defenders

I have noticed also that my wingers prefer to shoot rather than pass....

In my opinion passes over the top have to be toned down in order to reduce so many 1 on 1 

The game is unplayable for me at this stage...I don't want just to win I want to see some real football with more inteligence...Is unacceptable that this ME passed the tests and came with the official release of the game...

The easiest tactic by far is to have most of your team hang back, so there is space in behind, and then ping long balls in behind the other team. 
Long balls from defenders and wide shots from fullbacks are WORLD CLASS, 

Long balls in behind are pin point. 

Yet as soon as you get near the box everyone can't see each other or forgets entirely how to pass. Its a ME issue, 

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, CaptainPlanet said:

Might just be a random coincidence, but two seasons in a row now the Premiership scheduling has me playing the home and away versions of the same match right after each other on boxing day then 2 days later. vs Leicester last season and vs Southampton this season.

Does this also hold true for other clubs and/or other save games?

Could certainly just be a quirk of the scheduling, something realistic that I am not aware of or simply a bug. Worth posting here if you believe it to be the latter please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/713-league-specific-issues/

The average rating system is not very useful in this version at all. Not trying to be lazy and only rely on it either but....if a player is not involved in a goal, their average rating is usually in the 6 range unless the scoreline is really high. I just beat Chelsea away and Liverpool at home and most of my team got 6 ratings. We had more possession and quality shots than Chelsea and Liverpool we just defended well, they did not create many CCCs.

Edit: Page didn't reload and someone already posted about this...ah well - I am also having this issue!

Edited by ViG1980

1 minute ago, Seb Wassell said:

Does this also hold true for other clubs and/or other save games?

Could certainly just be a quirk of the scheduling, something realistic that I am not aware of or simply a bug. Worth posting here if you believe it to be the latter please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/713-league-specific-issues/

Just checked another club and it's happened to them too. Considering it doesn't really happen IRL I'm guessing it's a bug so will log it. ta.

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, ViG1980 said:

The average rating system is not very useful in this version at all. Not trying to be lazy and only rely on it either but....if a player is not involved in a goal, their average rating is usually in the 6 range unless the scoreline is really high. I just beat Chelsea away and Liverpool at home and most of my team got 6 ratings. We had more possession and quality shots than Chelsea and Liverpool we just defended well, they did not create many CCCs

Edit: Page didn't reload and someone already posted about this...ah well - I am also having this issue!

Would be worth raising some of your most blatant examples, including PKMs of the matches in question, here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/739-match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

19 minutes ago, Sarin1 said:

The easiest tactic by far is to have most of your team hang back, so there is space in behind, and then ping long balls in behind the other team. 
Long balls from defenders and wide shots from fullbacks are WORLD CLASS, 

Long balls in behind are pin point. 

Yet as soon as you get near the box everyone can't see each other or forgets entirely how to pass. Its a ME issue, 

Exactly!!

And forgot to mention that those pin point passes are from my Forest Green defenders...

Edited by Alekos

49 minutes ago, gullibaldurs said:

Thank you for the quick reply. 

I really do find it weird though that my team, going unbeaten for 54 games in the league, suddenly is incapable of performing after the latest update. I log on after the update and the first game is lost with me having 33 shots against 3. Since then I have been winning games here and there but everything feels different. What players are doing in similar situations doesn't compare to before. And like I said, missing an unhealthy amount of clear chances. It's not a confidence/dynamic issue because they are sky high as you can imagine after that kind of an unbeaten streak. 

I am not doubting what you are saying is correct. Maybe it's just me imagining things :) 

Edit: Today was the first time I've played since full release so maybe that is the update I am referring to. 

It is true that there were a number of changes to the ME from the beta to the full game release, so perhaps there may be a link.  There has not been any universal comments about this, so it may just be a case of making some minor changes to reflect the changes in the ME- 54 games undefeated is quite an achievement so may be hard to match

5 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

We all play differently fella, all managing different teams in different leagues in different countries with different players & different tactics

Chuck some PKMs up if you want showing great games, no judgement or drama, just be interested 

First goal is a defender error, deftly finished by my AF. Equaliser comes from an opposing striker skinning my CD on the counterattack, then finishing the 1vs1 with my GK. 2-1 from a scorcher from distance and my third goal is my B2B midfielder who plays in my wide midfielder who gets to the byline, skins his opponent, pulls it back to the same B2B who has moved into the area and finishes it off. :)

OHL v Charleroi.pkm

6 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

I sometimes honestly wonder if people are playing a different game than me.. 

Here's the thing I felt like that in the updated Beta ME. Which I felt was the worst ME we've had in years. It was just awful IMO. Yet loads were saying it was great. 

The latest ME in the release is night and day from that ME. As in I quite like it. Crossing has improved, one on one's seem much more realisticly missed or scored. I haven't had any penalty problems etc. I've seen some absolutely great through balls too. 

It's almost as if there are 2 different MEs out there. 

12 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Why is the area to the left of Maguire and right of Tuanzebe being listed as areas of minor issues? Surely this isn't right. It's only prevalent when I select a Defensive tactic template. If I choose Control Possession or Tiki-Taka, etc. it's not there. And it effects my matches. Was not there before the full release else I would have noticed. And a tactic that was highly effective away, before release, now doesn't even create three chances a game, and gets done 3-0 by CSKA Moscow? 

Just seems the two go hand in hand. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.c5d9b34abff64f75f7d321805889524b.PNG

If you click on a square it will tell you how well it's covered and what the positive and negative influences are

4 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Seeing as my beta save is borked, this solution is acceptable :lol:

My beta save also got borked but not as badly as yours.

In mine all of my youths progress fell off a cliff, like a straight line down (it timed exactly when an update was loaded in) and basically never recovered and 2 players I'd signed for the first team got upset and angry I'd broken my promise to loan them out, a promise I'd never made as I specifically bought them for the first team.

Even wierder still I'd actually loaned one of them out anyways due to the loss of progress thing mentioned above. 

It's annoying but expected hence I never start the long term save until the games released. 

Carried on playing the game, the penalties and red cards slowed down once got into the season for now.  Maybe it's because the players were unfit so made mistakes, maybe it's a bit too much, I get players won't be sharp but maybe there's too much of an effect it makes in pre season where they can get excessive red cards/penalties.

I congratulated Haaland on his first call up, he said he's surprised at how long he's had to wait, then I said he deserves it for his work and he said I'm patronizing him lol.  I think in future versions these kind of things should be looked at fixing, cause in this case it was just me trying to be polite to the player and build a relationship with him, it's actually the first time I've praised him or even spoke to him as it's early in the game so the negative reaction is wrong to me.  This makes dealing with interaction difficult cause you don't know when you're going to get an entirely unrealistic reaction.  Maybe it should be softened up a bit in those scenarios for that reason.

Thanks so much for rolling out an update on this issue so quickly guys!

Quick Q: how do we know if this has actually worked? I’ve just updated my existing save to the latest hot fix, yet the first 10 players I’ve checked all still have determination of 1-3. All are highly rated Dutch youth players (Rensch, Hillen, Bannis etc). This was the same rating they had before I applied the hot fix.

5 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

The attribute issue was not responsible for penalties.

Was it purely tactics / PPM/ Player Attribute related then (given that there are no ME changes made)? At the end, those were penalties were a call to be made for an incident, so it's got to be something. :D 

Edited by Svenc

One of my MCs WHO have played in the same position for 2 seasons won’t have his positional familiraity go up it stays at the bottom all the time anyone else noticed this? The other players has full green bars just one player.

10 hours ago, BigV said:

Build on from yesterday (demo):

Getting sick of shots from the sides, having a lot of chances within the box and having loads of touches. Martial had a chance to shoot, passed it wide and shot came from wide. 

Balls over the top seem a bit too OP in my eyes either it's the "offside trap" or the defensive line thats causing this. I've dropped mine to the lowerst and still see long balls over it- not sure how or why but it does. 

There was a situation where my 2 cb's went beyond the defensive line and readings 5 players just ran straight through the middle, one of them was a BWM-D... 

Only positive I saw today is that crossing is useful all be it long when im on shorter passing and low crosses.

Think im gonna miss out on this years game unless this is fixed and maybe get it at a later date. 

What's the ME version on your demo?