Will you be buying FM23  

646 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying FM23

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • Depends on Features

1 hour ago, Garethjohn79 said:

I don't know what the demographic of FM players is but I'd guess it's getting older and with age comes patience and other priorities, we can wait and will do something else

Especially this year that F1 manager is releasing, if people could pick one I'd guess they would rather pay for F1 manager me included.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think FM is the best pound for pound value I spend. It’s an absolute bargain if you ask me 

Yes it can be improved but for me it’s a buy every time. 
I have bought them all except for one year from what I recall 

On 29/07/2022 at 17:04, DarJ said:

Especially this year that F1 manager is releasing, if people could pick one I'd guess they would rather pay for F1 manager me included.

I spotted this to, if its as graphically good as the promotion video it will show nerdy manager games don't have to keep with crap graphics.

On 29/07/2022 at 17:04, DarJ said:

Is there much cross over though?  I like F1 but there is literally no chance I would pick an F1 management game over FM in a million years.

I will say though that FM is the only game I play and to me i've always thought of it as a separate entity.  There are gamers and then there are people who play FM.

8 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

I like F1 but there is literally no chance I would pick an F1 management game over FM in a million years.

It depends on your feeling towards FM. Personally, I've not been to happy with FM22 and I haven't played it much so I'll be willing to "jump ship" unless they add something to the game I really like

4 hours ago, DarJ said:

It depends on your feeling towards FM. Personally, I've not been to happy with FM22 and I haven't played it much so I'll be willing to "jump ship" unless they add something to the game I really like

That's fair.

It's strange as this version of FM is the one I've enjoyed the most since FM17.  I suspect that has a lot to do with enjoying my save a lot this time.

No, I don't think I will. I haven't played FM 22 all that much, despite it being a fairly good entry into the series (snappy performance, decent match engine, etc.). The problem that, IMO, FM has is that it's grown stale, at least for me. This year I only did two saves, with the same team, one pre and another post winter patch. To me, it seems that every year it's literally the same thing, except with different squads. The first 2-3 years of every save are fun and challenging, but then things slowly start to unravel as AI squads start disintegrating and the AI is not capable of building them back up to acceptable levels. This is not only a problem with the AI itself, but also an inherit advantage that the human player has thanks to all of the tools at their disposal, most importantly, understanding how to game the transfer market and player growth.

I know this might sound like heresy around here, but I've had a lot more fun with FIFA 22 this year than FM. Sure, FIFA isn't perfect, and the FUT community is toxic through its competitiveness, but they keep adding leagues to the game, which makes the career mode more interesting. Additionally they also have the dual edged sword of impossible AI difficulty and insanely high human skill level to fall back on, when things get boring.

On 02/08/2022 at 12:52, grasu said:

No, I don't think I will. I haven't played FM 22 all that much, despite it being a fairly good entry into the series (snappy performance, decent match engine, etc.). The problem that, IMO, FM has is that it's grown stale, at least for me. This year I only did two saves, with the same team, one pre and another post winter patch. To me, it seems that every year it's literally the same thing, except with different squads. The first 2-3 years of every save are fun and challenging, but then things slowly start to unravel as AI squads start disintegrating and the AI is not capable of building them back up to acceptable levels. This is not only a problem with the AI itself, but also an inherit advantage that the human player has thanks to all of the tools at their disposal, most importantly, understanding how to game the transfer market and player growth.

I know this might sound like heresy around here, but I've had a lot more fun with FIFA 22 this year than FM. Sure, FIFA isn't perfect, and the FUT community is toxic through its competitiveness, but they keep adding leagues to the game, which makes the career mode more interesting. Additionally they also have the dual edged sword of impossible AI difficulty and insanely high human skill level to fall back on, when things get boring.

This certainly is the way FM is going for me. Its identical each year a long save starting at grass roots is the same each edition, it starts off ok each team has it's current squad, then they get decimated through the seasons. Do the AI managers ever vary their tactic. You set up your marking duties for the next game which could be 21 days away and the opposition still will still be there come kick-off in the same tactic. The chairman are identical at each club, you may get the odd tycoon, but by and large their all too reasonable, no wild sacking after one game, no ultra committed to the manager type who stick by you through thick and thin and do the AI managers argue with the board?   

F1 is interesting as yet it doesn't show what role you will play or will you get a choice? 

I tried Motorsport manager which looked a bit FM graphically, but decided to add promotion and relegation. Its appeal was lost soon after the first season.

You do wonder if anyone took up the challenge and produced a FIFA style match view, with video styled interviews and interaction along with a huge database that didn't stick high end computers to a few 125,000 player limit it would make SI sit up?

If a sport as niche as F1 is successful with a driving and sports management simulator as two games then  the ears of EA might twitch to try again in attempting a Football Manager game set with FIFA style graphics game?

Edited by Garethjohn79

4 hours ago, Garethjohn79 said:

If a sport as niche as F1 is successful with a driving and sports management simulator as two games then  the ears of EA might twitch to try again in attempting a Football Manager game set with FIFA style graphics game?

I could not agree more. Someone eventually is going to put an FM style database & Fifa style graphics together and blow all competition away.

I think most would find it refreshing for FM's graphics to be near the top of SI's priority list but of course, every team is limited by man power as to how much they can get done, with SI working tirelessly towards updates & some improvements. And of course, most are aware of their commitment & dedication working towards adding womens football to the game. 

Will I be buying FM2023? Definetly no I'm afraid. FM2021 and FM2022 both look amazing but to get it to a playable state, it does need constant mods from Michael Murray for the match day.

But the one thing which cannot be amended is the poor interface for tactics. On FM2018 and before it, you had one screen where you could switch from Counter to Attacking, move defensive line up etc.

Now it's on 3 tabs and you don't know what half the things do either as SI have never taken the time to actually compile a manual on it.

2 hours ago, Steve1977beyond said:

Now it's on 3 tabs and you don't know what half the things do either as SI have never taken the time to actually compile a manual on it.

Well, I know it’s not very complex, but there actually is a manual that explains everything on a very basic level. In case you didn’t know 

https://community.sigames.com/sigames-manual/football-manager-2022/

9 hours ago, Federico said:

I was just considering that 343 users have been voting. To be honest the choices looks a little bit biased towards a negative feedback, however we have 158 users that will definitely buy FM23 and 185 that are not sure they will - if not at all.

It's a drop in the ocean but more than half of people who reads and is active in this forum that decided to vote are on the "I won't buy it" side.

I myself have voted "depends on features" option. FM needs to be renewed drastically. Too many options, too much reading, toooo many clicks. All this in the same old interface since decades. I played so much I reached the point where I can't no longer bother to start a new game. The same old things I did for ages. Pick some nations (always the same), pick some leagues (always the same), ages to create the save game and create your avatar. And the worse is yet to come: inbox screen, introduce yourself (tens os lines of reading), speak to your assman, choose feeds, introducing of the squad and team talk with tens of lines of reading, then media and again tens of lines of reading, then you finally can read hundreds of lines of reading for renewing contracts, and after the first hour you can finally have a look at your squad and tactics: same screen same colors, same graphic, same options, same roles. Ok let's create some set pieces routines. Another half an hour is gone. And I still have to set the trainings. I love trainings. the problem is I have to to choose a daily plan for every week. Alright, another half an hour gone (if you're an experienced player of course) Once you're ok, go down with clicking. Just click on your mouse, normally at the begin, you even pay attentions to some news. Then faster, then faster&harder because hey I wanna see how it looks the 3D engine this year! Bump! a player of mine has something to complain about, so let's have a chat with him.. oh wait... Mr. Who from the local "nowhere news" want to ask you about the upcoming match. More readings... I mean more time WASTED reading. And clicking.

Finally here we are, match day! Pre-match press conference, pre-match set up, pick the XI to start the game, team talk, here we go! Same stadiums, same fans, same pitches. Maybe a couple of new animations for the goalkeeper.Two hours to play the first game, and it's all the same. Praise the guys for have won 12-0 against some kind of football team, then post match press conference. Rinse and repeat.

I feel suffocated. Save the game (just to not start over again). Quit.

I haven't buyed FM22 yet and you know what: I don't miss it. I will buy it, I don't want to break my FM collection (starting from FM05) but... if the only news for FM23 is women football (and well done for that SI, even if it's not at the top in my FM wishlist) I could consider to jump some editions.

And as you move up the career ladder it gets worse, pre-match, final whistle and then post-match, then inane questions '' What do I think of Terry Woan's position at Llanfair'', I'm Liverpool's manager and couldn't give shiny *****.

On 05/08/2022 at 16:44, PhilT said:

I could not agree more. Someone eventually is going to put an FM style database & Fifa style graphics together and blow all competition away.

I'd be willing to bet a sizeable amount of money that this will never happen, and any vanishingly small chance of it gets smaller by the day.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

I'd be willing to bet a sizeable amount of money that this will never happen, and any vanishingly small chance of it gets smaller by the day.

The biggest issue for a new entrant is not the graphics - that should be easy for any company willing to recruit decent quality graphic artists (and makes SI's attitudes to this area all the more puzzling); the database research is a big area to get right and competing with SIs research is going to be hard for anew entrant. Biggest of all though is probably licensing costs - I'd be surprised if this wasn't one of SIs biggest costs for producing FM and a new entrant is going to find it hard to get a competitive number of licenses.

As for FM23 - I'll probably buy as I usually do.  I really hope, though, that SI take a hard look at the lack of logic in much of the interaction side of the game - it has got to the stage where it sucks so much of the fun out of the game. I'm also increasingly concerned by how many modules now don't seem to work fully unless you micro-manage the hell out of them (scouting in particular this year seems to have joined the ranks of modules not doing things as you'd expect, along with youth development being thoroughly disrupted by the changes to stop older players declining too fast).

Longer term, I'd hope that they start to separate things that you can do in the game as the manager and as the gamer (e.g. managers don't choose new stadium names/designs or kit designs for later seasons, but as the gamer we should be able to do those things - they are just cosmetic game preferences; it doesn't need to be tied to what a manager can really do). and they need to stop their obsession with primitive graphics - 90s style 3D is never going to become an iconic retro style that everyone wants - at the very least use a proper time/geo aware lighting model and have stadiums that have different orientations to add a little more visual variety from game to game.

Edited by rp1966

46 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

The biggest issue for a new entrant is not the graphics - that should be easy for any company willing to recruit decent quality graphic artists (and makes SI's attitudes to this area all the more puzzling); the database research is a big area to get right and competing with SIs research is going to be hard for anew entrant. Biggest of all though is probably licensing costs - I'd be surprised if this wasn't one of SIs biggest costs for producing FM and a new entrant is going to find it hard to get a competitive number of licenses.

I think there's a number of pretty sizeable challenges any entrant into the industry would face.  I agree graphics is pretty far down the list, but licenses are far from the only obstacle.  I'd almost say that would be trivial, as presumably if someone wanted to chuck enough money at the problem they could probably hoover up a lot of the licenses (I have no insight into whether there's any exclusives or anything, just speaking hypothetically with it being a purely financial problem). 

So say you've got the money and you've got the artists, you're still waaaaaaaay behind where you would need to be.  Like you say you'd need to build the research network.  Given it's all voluntary, you could maybe turn most of those volunteers over to working for your product if it's better, but that's a bit of a stretch for a completely new entrant.  But say you manage to get past that too, you're still going to be way behind.  I think people often underestimate just how much work needs to go in to getting the product to where it is today.  It's far from perfect, absolutely (and they'll likely be the first to admit that), but the match engine in particular is the product of decades of continuous development, expertise and domain knowledge.  Let's say you find someone who absolutely knows their stuff in the area but lacks the domain knowledge.  You could maybe spend a few years with them locked in.a room and come up with something that comes close, but that doesn't eliminate the gap, it just eats into it, as SI have spent those years adjusting their own efforts too.  Or even made greater strides.

Put it this way.  EA have FIFA, which is not a great product by any means, but still sits fairly clear at the top of the pile with Konami's only response seemingly violent seppuku.  Even the strung together series of janky animations they call a match engine is way ahead of where a new entrant would be, and that's in a genre that if someone could do it right, an alternative would be worth a fortune.  And no-one of note has really tried.  FM by comparison is a far more niche product in a far more niche genre.  No-one is going to take on the considerable risk to try and become the top dog.  No chance.

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

I'd be willing to bet a sizeable amount of money that this will never happen

the only way this can happen is if someone is willing to pay big money to one of the data companies like opta to use the data they have been collecting for years to build players profile because if they were to build a database themselves, it will take years 

I would really like the graphics to change; not to be 'better' in the sense of being more photorealistic, which I don't really care about, but in the sense of being more attractive, more stylised, more aesthetic. Things like giving you a sense of different pitches, changing seasons, the different attributes of players ... for me the dream would be a sort of 2D engine but a really beautiful one, not trying to look 'real' but trying to convey something of the impressions you get when you're actually at a football match. But I imagine I'm on a hiding to nothing there.

I won't buy the next one, mostly because I'm after starting a new job that's going to be more timeconsuming, partly because I find the game increasingly ponderous and boring and hard to understand.

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

the only way this can happen is if someone is willing to pay big money to one of the data companies like opta to use the data they have been collecting for years to build players profile because if they were to build a database themselves, it will take years 

But even then, it's the trifecta that any competitor would need.  It needs the Match Engine, the Database, and the rest of the back-end work.  You can have all the data, but if you don't have an interesting and functional way of presenting it, you're stuck.  A great match engine in isolation might struggle without the data behind it.  A great match engine with the data probably has a limited lifespan if the rest of the game doesn't work well.  

That's not to say that FM always nails those three, but it's a long, arduous, borderline impossible road for anyone else to approach the flawed point they're at now.

Probably not.

I caved and bought FM22 for £15, after hating the initial alterations to FMT (thankfully you eventually ended up being able to edit stuff), but I've barely played it.

As it stands, FM23 will be the first CM/FM I've not bought since 93/94. I may buy FMT, depending on what it's like, so.. 30 year run, it's been good. I've had some great memories, but it's too much for me now. (FMM just seems too fiddly)

Conversely I'm really enjoying FM22 which somewhat harms my chances of buying 23- as I'm really enjoying my current save and generally new versions of FM don't add features that make me go 'I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW!' 

Saying that, I'll likely cave around January. 

I'm one of those old folks who has pretty much played every version of this game going back to the original CM series when Ov & Paul were working out of their houses, so will I buy?  Yeah, for sure.

Actually, caveat to that, I got it on Game Pass this year because it was just there.  If it's on Game Pass again this year, which I assume it will be, I'll get it there again.

I buy Call of Duty every year too, literally going back to the original 19 years ago - FM and COD are like staples, I get them every single year.

I play FM a fair bit so the value for money and enjoyment per hour is pretty good.

I will say though, the lack of proper multi-core and multi-thread support in a game like this is irritating.  I'm a nerd, I have good disposable income, and I like toys, so my PC is beefy - I don't think it's unreasonable in a game that's doing simulations of data a lot of the time in the background that the developers should optimize it for modern hardware to the maximum value possible.

Does it take a significant investment of time and effort?  Yes.

But the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now.  

If they don't make the investment now, when will they?  Zen 4 is coming in September, the core counts will stay the same, but clock speeds will go up, so simulations will happen faster because of single thread performance gains.  Intel will be the same with Raptor Lake, but Zen 5 is likely going to double core counts, so in 2024, people like myself will be sporting 32 core, 64 thread desktops capable of running at close to 6Ghz across all threads, but FM25 will still be lightly threaded?  That's kind of ridiculous.

That's not even mentioning using something like the GPU for parallel processing if you really wanted to turbo boost background simulation performance - papers have been written extensively about that for 6 years.

I suppose the other one for me relates to the issue of quality on release - I like playing lower league saves and creating my own fictional teams in those lower leagues.  The last few years, the editor has been an absolute mess on release and in FM21 it didn't even work properly on release for English leagues.

That's poor. 

You can forgive companies for not making large scale re-architecture investments because it's a business and those decisions need to be weighed up accordingly, but the quality stuff like the editor, that's not good enough.  That's just testing effort and care factor.

And you see it coming up time and time again in these comments - quality needs to be better.  

But will I buy it or play it on Game Pass?  Sure, because that's what I've done for over 25+ years.

Edited by Sean Kaye

22 saat önce, Harrymcintyre said:

Probably will not be buying Gegenpress simulator 2023, if you please. 

Exactly my thought.Sick of this tactic shoved on to my throat because no other tactic effective as this,

Sick of winning everything with a noname team in just a couple of seasons basically an insult to my intelligence.

On 08/08/2022 at 09:21, forameuss said:

If FIFA career was unlimited I’d just get that tbf. 

20 hours ago, Sean Kaye said:

I'm one of those old folks who has pretty much played every version of this game going back to the original CM series when Ov & Paul were working out of their houses, so will I buy?  Yeah, for sure.

I will say though, the lack of proper multi-core and multi-thread support in a game like this is irritating. 

Does it take a significant investment of time and effort?  Yes.

But the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now.   

As far as I know the Collyer brothers are only part-time involved in FM? I do wonder what they think of their legacy?

Completely agree with the multi-core multi-thread approach though as I said before. It's just feels too sluggish. I do wonder what budget would be needed to convert the code to allow this (it can even take multiple years while new additions are then done afterwards orso). I think it isn't that huge of an investment. The base code is there?

15 hours ago, DP said:

I think (maybe wrongfully so) that most people would love to see a game that:

- Has the looks & graphical immersion feeling of FIFA

- Has the depth & realism of FM 

- Has the fluidness & quickness of CM01/02 (or at least achieve it through certain settings)

16 hours ago, DP said:

And that comes under the same impossible banner to be honest, as there's no way career mode ever gets much attention when FUT makes an eye-watering amount of money for them.  Even if that funding source dries up, they'll probably move to cosmetics in pro clubs before they ever turn their eyes towards Career Mode.  And remember, SI have already handed them a sound beating in the genre in making them discontinue FIFA Manager.

On 11/08/2022 at 10:20, forameuss said:

And that comes under the same impossible banner to be honest, as there's no way career mode ever gets much attention when FUT makes an eye-watering amount of money for them.  Even if that funding source dries up, they'll probably move to cosmetics in pro clubs before they ever turn their eyes towards Career Mode.  And remember, SI have already handed them a sound beating in the genre in making them discontinue FIFA Manager.

havent heard thatname in ages.

Am i misremembering thingsor did total club manager 2004 had some sort of achievement system that let you print out a huge poster?

Edited by eXistenZ

All I ask is that I can be a manager of a big club in, say, 2030 and have some sort of challenge. 

Right now if you move to City or PSG 5, 10 years on from the start of the game there is genuinely no challenge after you have the team set up. It becomes a procession and the game is easy. In the early CM’s this wasn’t the case as there were far fewer variables for the AI to handle. It was great always having a ding dong with you closest rivals and not being guaranteed the title every season. 

There should be challengers and some sort of challenge still if you are a top club. Ask Pep if there’s still challenge for him being in charge of one of the richest teams in the world and he’ll say yes. He has to be completely on it to get ahead over the likes of Liverpool and this isn’t represented properly in FM imo. 

Not sure. The game is just copy and paste atm. Gegenpress is again OP, even though they said it wouldn't be. World class strikers still miss easy chances, wingers seem really inconsistent.

Just the fact alone that you need gegenpress in order to win is just sad. Why have "Fluid counterattack", "Catenaccio", "Direct counter attack" and etc when you need to play a high pressing game? As soons as you try playing a bit more pragmatic you end up giving the AI too much space and then they will just outplay you and outscore you. Why even have these pre-set tactics when they are useless?

And with their latest "10 myths debunked" I just feel like they are covering the games flaws ("it's not us, it's you") and I'm not alone judging by the comments people have posted on it. That alone makes me skeptic of buying the game. A lot of players experience what they call "myths". That tells you that this is a company that don't handle criticism well at all. They even ban people and take away threads from steam that become to critical of the game.

My biggest question to SI team is why only after the winter patch the ME is "decent" and playable ?

Its the same pattern every year

Beta - decent ME > Full game - more ME bugs > 1st patch to ME - fixes some bugs > winter patch - playable ME

Le 07/08/2022 à 15:36, Federico a dit :

I was just considering that 343 users have been voting. To be honest the choices look a little bit biased towards a negative feedback, however we have 158 users that will definitely buy FM23 and 185 that are not sure they will - if not at all.

It's a drop in the ocean but more than half of the people who reads and is active in this forum decided to vote they are on the "I won't buy it" side.

I myself have voted "depends on features" option. FM needs to be renewed drastically. Too many options, too much reading, toooo many clicks. All this in the same old interface since decades. I played so much I reached the point where I can't no longer bother to start a new game. The same old things I did for ages. Pick some nations (always the same), pick some leagues (always the same), ages to create the save game and create your avatar. And the worse is yet to come: inbox screen, introduce yourself (tens os lines of reading), speak to your assman, choose feeds, introducing of the squad and team talk with tens of lines of reading, then media and again tens of lines of reading, then you finally can read hundreds of lines of reading for renewing contracts, and after the first hour you can finally have a look at your squad and tactics: same screen same colors, same graphic, same options, same roles. Ok let's create some set pieces routines. Another half an hour is gone. And I still have to set the trainings. I love trainings. the problem is I have to to choose a daily plan for every week. Alright, another half an hour gone (if you're an experienced player of course) Once you're ok, go down with clicking. Just click on your mouse, normally at the begin, you even pay attentions to some news. Then faster, then faster&harder because hey I wanna see how it looks the 3D engine this year! Bump! a player of mine has something to complain about, so let's have a chat with him.. oh wait... Mr. Who from the local "nowhere news" want to ask you about the upcoming match. More readings... I mean more time WASTED reading. And clicking.

Finally here we are, match day! Pre-match press conference, pre-match set up, pick the XI to start the game, team talk, here we go! Same stadiums, same fans, same pitches. Maybe a couple of new animations for the goalkeeper.Two hours to play the first game, and it's all the same. Praise the guys for have won 12-0 against some kind of football team, then post match press conference. Rinse and repeat.

I feel suffocated. Save the game (just to not start over again). Quit.

I haven't buyed FM22 yet and you know what: I don't miss it. I will buy it, I don't want to break my FM collection (starting from FM05) but... if the only news for FM23 is women football (and well done for that SI, even if it's not at the top in my FM wishlist) I could consider to skip some editions.

The game is slow but you will see a fast pace trailer in order to annonce feminin football , i predict new animation but Same stadiums, same fans, same pitches

Yes, however significant changes such as multi core support, an out of possession formation, return of FM Touch (Steam) and a revised 3d representation. 

a hopeful wish but don’t think it’ll ever come is audio match day commentary. Adds to the experience and atmosphere of the game. 

1 hour ago, Bdare said:

Yes, however significant changes such as multi core support, an out of possession formation, return of FM Touch (Steam) and a revised 3d representation. 

a hopeful wish but don’t think it’ll ever come is audio match day commentary. Adds to the experience and atmosphere of the game. 

Multi-core support require to re-write the source code from ground up from my limited coding lessons; but worth it. DICE did it after Bad Company; not an easy decision for them to leave some people in the dust and darkness. I am all in for multi-core; will unlock the game more.

On 05/08/2022 at 11:44, PhilT said:

I think most would find it refreshing for FM's graphics to be near the top of SI's priority list but of course, every team is limited by man power as to how much they can get done, with SI working tirelessly towards updates & some improvements. And of course, most are aware of their commitment & dedication working towards adding womens football to the game. 

That game would cost $99 and require an extreme gaming computer to run. And ultimately, one part of the game would suffer for lack of interest. Inevitably, they would need to monetize some sort of Ultimate Team as is happening with all games now. And do you think if one part of the game has ongoing monetary value and the other doesn't, which will they pay more attention to?

8 hours ago, DMVian said:

That game would cost $99 and require an extreme gaming computer to run. And ultimately, one part of the game would suffer for lack of interest. Inevitably, they would need to monetize some sort of Ultimate Team as is happening with all games now. And do you think if one part of the game has ongoing monetary value and the other doesn't, which will they pay more attention to?

You could easily have a graphics range to cope for older computers . EG ... low , medium , high and then ultra