Will you be buying FM23 ?

Will you be buying FM23  

646 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying FM23

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • Depends on Features

I think it might make more sense for SI to release it either in Early Access - so it's more obvious to expect bugs and issues. Or to delay the release until December, or January even, because that tends to be the time where the game is in a more stable state.

I will be buying FM 23, but maybe not immediately for the reasons mentioned above.

<Cue SI revealing some brand new feature I suddenly believe I can't go on without>

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a funny relationship with FM the last couple of years; I played 20 to death and won the PL with Oxford 3 straight seasons, didnt get into 21.

Delved back into 22 but it's taken a lot of effort, havent really enjoyed it until now. I'm with Ibiza but only got into it after the latest/final big patch. 

I don't like starting something that I know has a lot of bugs and won't be the final version until the following March/April

In addition to what I say above, and with experience of working with devs on a daily basis (as many of us on here also might), I know just how complicated it can be to either change or add features to an application.

I don't know if they start working on the next version of FM the day after the previous one goes 'live' (they may start development some time before that), but 1 year is not that much time to research -> document -> implement -> test -> re-work/bug fix -> test -> release massive new features or significant changes to the match engine really in IT, the time does seem to fly by, even if you are extremely agile and work in smaller, more flexible, development teams.

And often throwing more devs at the problem doesn't always solve it quicker.

Edited by rich10

I will be waiting to see if they have solved the annual problem since FM19 of crossing and attackers running to the wings instead of the goal. Previous versions have taken the Mickey in this subject by promising improvements and delivering none.

The second thing I will be looking for are the inane comments offered for team talks and press conferences. I all my years of playing I never had a manager say, 'I have faith' and many others. Its irritating

So. for me it wait to see what is said in the bugs section on the forum.

It depends on the features, but the truth is, sadly, I probably will buy it. As much as I'm against doing it, I'll end up buying the game solely for the database and game start date update. 

Many people have pointed out certain issues with the game, and the general opinion on the forums is divided. The forums usually represent the more "hardcore" community, meaning they care more about the game than the casual playerbase (who are the majority that will just buy a new game each year anyways). So me not buying the game to prove a point or something isn't gonna do anything really.

For me, the game is still stuck in the 2000s. From the graphics, to the engine, to the UI. Everything just screams outdated. 
They will keep adding more and more stuff and bloat into the game, and to the engine that's just old at this point. But it's still gonna feel like the exact same game each year.

I sincerely hope they have people working on modernizing the game, especially the engine, the graphics, and the UI/UX. I mean, just look at F1 Manager. That's what a modern manager game should look like, from the UI to the graphics.

Yes it will take a few years and a lot of work and money, but it has to be done at some point. It's already 5 years too late. You can't keep releasing the same thing for 20 years. I really hope it's not going to get to that point that in 2030 we have the exact same UI, graphics, AI, and most importantly ENGINE (ME included).

On 08/09/2022 at 17:07, Mars_Blackmon said:

While looking at the trailer, I hope they make FM23 more challenging…

Same mate, i want the ai managers to be a bit more clever, if you get what i mean, like when hiring staff and better tactics and that.

2 hours ago, kertiek said:

ill would buy it if they add dribbling and feints back, playing psg with messi mbappe and neymar and the absence of skills to get past their markers is abysmal, they can run past their markers, but they rarelly use skills/feints/dribbles to leave them behind,its one of the big negatives that marked fm22 for me.

You realise that that has zero influence on the actual outcome of the match though? That is a completely superficial issue.

I got up to FM15 and stopped and went back to FM12 - really, I couldn't play FM13 even though computer met min spec it just didn't work, I gave up and went back to Fm12. Got Fm14 didn't like it, got FM15 as a gift didn't like it. So ended up back with FM12.

Think it's time I give up the ghost and finally get into the new version. Think I'll go with FM22 and stay a version behind as they're up to date patches etc. 

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

You realise that that has zero influence on the actual outcome of the match though? That is a completely superficial issue.

Don't it add a lot more variation though, and it will just overall make the games a lot more exciting.

Edited by JamieTC13

On 08/09/2022 at 17:41, crarfc said:

trying to pre purchase this, 36 quid and then go into via steam - paypal it rises to 48 ! can anyone help here ? is this an error?

On 08/09/2022 at 18:17, JamieTC13 said:

Its doing the same to me as well 

This should be fixed now, it seems. Hopefully it works for you guys now.

1000+ hours every year, it'd be 1500hrs if it weren't for the editor being such a broken plaything.

So, yes, because frankly it's great on the laptop, not something I use the desktop for very often, but it's always nice to have something you can play in the background while watching, working, travelling etc.

On 30/04/2022 at 14:14, anagain said:

Graphics don't make a game. I'd rather see SI spend time and money on other areas. The UI is my biggest grumble in the game and I've said a number of times that spending on a UI expert would be money well spent. In a complex game like FM you have to get the main workings of the game, like the UI, perfect before you should spend time making it look shiny.

Saying that, they could do with some new assets around the stadiums. The trees are sometimes so big I expect to see a Brontosaurus walk past.

I wont be buying FM 23 if they say they have fixed the tree's as part of their striking new features in the game..................................!!  lol :lol:

just the fact that people care to elaborate their feelings about buying a $35 game tells me, that they are most likely a good fit to buy it. people who have that much free time would spend an easy 100h in the game. so you'd pay 0,35 per h to play the actual game.. on the low end, most likely.

that said, obviously I'll buy it. what this genre needs is some serious competition though. clearly progress is slow to most and I can understand everyone who'd be frustrated with recent editions. I personally love the game and will support it regardless, even if it was an equivalent to FM 22. having been a researcher myself for a bundesliga club, I appreciate all the work that goes into updating the database. that alone would be worth the money, to me at least.

Im looking forward to playing FM Touch on iPad again. Hopefully it isnt released with major bugs and hopefully being as its going to be within Apple Arcade and we would be paying a monthly subscription that they will look after the game with more frequent updates for bugs etc.

10 hours ago, kertiek said:

i guess the 30+ reports about it must be a mistake then.

https://community.sigames.com/search/?q=dribbling&quick=1&type=cms_records8

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen I’m saying it has zero baring on the outcome. The graphics have zero importance to the decision’s you are making with regards to your tactics and attempting to win leagues and trophies. Therefore it is a superficial issue.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Last year was the first time I didn't pre-order because I wanted to look at the features. I didn't end up buying it because from my point of view it was just not worth it.

I want to  pre-order but if the main features end up more on the likes of reskinning existing data views into something new, I would just stick with FM 21.

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen I’m saying it has zero baring on the outcome. The graphics have zero importance to the decision’s you are making with regards to your tactics and attempting to win leagues and trophies. Therefore it is a superficial issue.

This is actually a major problem SI have been fixing little by little by adding animations and overall changing the visual representation of the Match Engine. There are people who play the game by viewing stats and others do it by viewing how their tactics are represented in graphics. So yes you may be right now but the graphical representation has to improve.

Note that I said graphical representation which means animations and better translation of the engine than fancy graphics.

Edited by saiyaman

was hoping Shopto would be stocking up on Football Manager 2023 with getting it from their last year as it was the cheapest place but looks like theyre not selling the game this year. but i will still be pre ordering the game at some point this month or next.

5 hours ago, metallimuse said:

see we are referring to different things, the graphical representation of plays are not my main point, they could use only one lame animation for every dribble/feint over and over and i wouldnt have a problem with it, in fact if the solution to get more dribbles in game is watch the game in 2d then i would play it in 2d but is not the solution because those plays simply are very rare to happen ingame matches, the graphical representation of those plays is not the problem for me.

the problem is that those plays are so rare,  plays from skilled players literally leaving players behind them due to a skill/dribble used, currently in fm22 most of the "skilled" players get a defender glued to them specially when u play with wide attackers, most of IFs and IWs have the instruction "cut inside with the ball" but that rarely happens, what is the most common play they do? run wide with a defender glued to them and they either cross or pass it back to recycle the ball when they have the ball, when they dont have the ball the run into space and end up scoring one taps or assists to other players but thats not what the "cut inside" instruction is, the ingame description of it is "ask wide players to look to come into central areas when running WITH the ball, driving inside their opponent and heading towards the goal" and that rarely happens.

i would rather see mbappe messi and neymar attempting dribbles and losing  the bals 10+ times per game than what i currently get is just a running wide with the ball to cross or recycle ball back to the midfielders, if dribbling/feints/skills from players arent going to be a common occurrence even when instructed to it, then what is the difference between top tier matches and a match from serie C in italy from example?.

in the last 2 or 3 iterations of the game dribbles have been nerfed greatly, and by this i mean actual plays not looking at the match stats (because that is another whole problem in fm22 por example running wide with the ball is counted as a dribble but the defender is glued to the attacker the whole run) play a game in fm15 or fm16 and watch for actual dribbles, defenders left behind walking because they cant keep up with the attacking player, those plays rarely happen in fm22, its not normal or immersive to see those plays 3 times per season at most.

what i mean for dribbles/feints/skills ?  attacker players literally leaving defenders behind due to feints/dribbles and, not having the defender glued to them the whole play, players like mbappe, neymar, antony, luis diaz, dybala, Ousmane Dembele should  be doing plays like those way more than watch they do ingame.

I've no doubt interactions with the media and others will be a grindingly repetitive waste of time, 3D graphics will still somehow look like something from 1996, 'mentality' will still represent a weird, pointlessly obstructive membrane between the user and real tactics and lots of players will still be world class wingbacks yet clueless wingers, or elite advanced playmakers with as much idea of how to play number 10 as a goalkeeper, but I'll still probably buy the thing for some reason.

Edited by ceefax the cat

2 hours ago, kentonizking said:

I play LLM saves, working my way up etc.

There is a massive difference in watching the games

Was going to say this as currently playing with Welling and at times it's shocking.

Hell, I bought a 34 year old Haaland to Braga on the last version and it was clear he was the best player I'd had in the ten years there. So direct and felt the ME represented it well, until he got injured anyway. Can definitely improve though.

Edited by BristolCity1992

3 minutes ago, russ the womble said:

I won't buy if the stadium design remains so poor. For all the talk of match engines and new features, this sort of thing suggests a complete lack of care about quality

image.png

Plus the random floodlight design. Just what are these based off, exactly? Shoddy.

image.thumb.png.ad059dd68d4939ca55df9b9e5b3bc6e4.png

I find the night matches far to bright.

I think I will just copy my 2021 Cork Save (931) hour invested over from my back up SSD to my PC. Have a good Autumn/Winter until I am bored again. Maybe maybe maybe if FM2023 has great LLM features I will pick it. Like able to create a reserve team, league asking make youth and reserve compitions, etc. So teams from Ireland, Sweden, etc etc have room to grow as a steady EL/CL team as well without being handicapped so much.

ps. Inbuilt 'Zealand Newgen' would be fantastic too!

Edited by RinusFM

11 hours ago, russ the womble said:

I won't buy if the stadium design remains so poor. For all the talk of match engines and new features, this sort of thing suggests a complete lack of care about quality

image.png

Plus the random floodlight design. Just what are these based off, exactly? Shoddy.

Not only that. but the shadows on players have zero relation with the position of the spotlights.  Makes you think there's not a proper realtime 3D engine in use. In fact there's only (I think) 3 lighting variations - short shadow from left; long shadow from top; 'X' spotlight (that doesn't change shadow length as players move to different corners of the ground and doesn't reflect where stadiums don't have 4 corner lighting gantries). Shadow of stadium never changes during the game (watch a real late afternoon game and watch the shadow of the stadium move across the pitch). 

Every stadium has exactly the same orientation (every 3pm game on a certain day will have shadows in the same direction). 

It may seem trivial to be talking about shadow directions, but the limited lighting is something that contributes greatly to every game looking the same.

And all that's before you get to the dodgy stadium designs and bad texturing in places.

But I'll still buy it again this year because nothing else gives the same gaming experience. I just wish SI would show a bit more ambition around graphics. It gets harder to look at the 1990s graphics every year and eventually I'll give up - probably when some other game comes along that dominates my gaming time (if ever there's a Cities: Skylines 2 for example).

Edited by rp1966

12 hours ago, russ the womble said:

image.png

I'm prepared to be disappointed when there will inevitably be the same stadiums with huge car parks on one side of the pitch, picnic benches, endless voids of concrete floor surrounding it, stadiums that are supposed to be 1000 capacity looking the same as 10,000 capacity, no stadiums with running tracks, the vomitories (spectator tunnels) that are about 3 times wider and taller than they are in real life, and floodlights in front of the camera blocking the view of the pitch

2 hours ago, rp1966 said:

Not only that. but the shadows on players have zero relation with the position of the spotlights.  Makes you think there's not a proper realtime 3D engine in use. In fact there's only (I think) 3 lighting variations - short shadow from left; long shadow from top; 'X' spotlight (that doesn't change shadow length as players move to different corners of the ground and doesn't reflect where stadiums don't have 4 corner lighting gantries). Shadow of stadium never changes during the game (watch a real late afternoon game and watch the shadow of the stadium move across the pitch). 

Every stadium has exactly the same orientation (every 3pm game on a certain day will have shadows in the same direction). 

It may seem trivial to be talking about shadow directions, but the limited lighting is something that contributes greatly to every game looking the same.

And all that's before you get to the dodgy stadium designs and bad texturing in places.

But I'll still buy it again this year because nothing else gives the same gaming experience. I just wish SI would show a bit more ambition around graphics. It gets harder to look at the 1990s graphics every year and eventually I'll give up - probably when some other game comes along that dominates my gaming time (if ever there's a Cities: Skylines 2 for example).

I believe the last version where shadows changed during the match was FM17, they certainly do in FM16, and as far back as FM12 the shadow length changed with the time of year.  This has declined since FM18, when I believe they farmed the graphics out to a third party.  I know some will say that graphics are not important, if so why have them at all, just have a grass pitch and nothing else.  Either do them well or not at all.

22 minutes ago, Stevo_99 said:

I will only buy it if the 5 sub rule is amended and added to all playable leagues etc.

I had to stop playing this season due to it not being included.

Official league rules will be in FM23. The decision of 5 subs rule in some leagues was made after the game last update. 

Like others, I'll wait until SI announces what changes are being made before I make a decision. I'd like to see major changes in how scouting works. Nearly every recruitment meeting I have in FM22 in which I decide we need to scout for a given position results in "no players found" two weeks later. For one thing, we should be able to be able to set min/max parameters for CA and PA. For another, we should be able to search for players with certain analytical results rather than just attributes. 

Regarding the stadiums, they should include a 3D stadium editor. I'm sure community would come up with great creations (or, rather, replicas of the real ones, within the boundaries of the stadium editor tools, at least)  :D

I'm heavily leaning towards buying now. Just depends on European competitions and how russia is handled. I don't particularly care how russia are handled, just hope it's done better than it was in FM22 and isn't forced a certain way. I'm going to spend plenty of time in the editor anyway, so I'd like the ability to edit them to my liking (haven't even decided how I want to change them myself yet actually) and not have them completely blocked off.

46 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

For one thing, we should be able to be able to set min/max parameters for CA and PA.

Disagree, CA/PA is in itself not a parameter a user should know about, it's only a "behind the scenes"-parameter. We can already use the PCA/PPA for staff, which is what the user actually see as the stars. The actual PA/CA is not supposed to be a part of the game experience.

46 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

For another, we should be able to search for players with certain analytical results rather than just attributes. 

This however, I'm all for, and something I really hope is included as soon as possible!

4 hours ago, XaW said:

Disagree, CA/PA is in itself not a parameter a user should know about, it's only a "behind the scenes"-parameter. We can already use the PCA/PPA for staff, which is what the user actually see as the stars. The actual PA/CA is not supposed to be a part of the game experience.

It's the PCA/PPA that I was referring to. I keep getting "no players found" on my searches. 

28 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

It's the PCA/PPA that I was referring to. I keep getting "no players found" on my searches. 

I thought that should work now? If you always get it no matter any other parameters, then I'd post a bug report if I were you.

On 10/09/2022 at 17:49, kertiek said:

see we are referring to different things, the graphical representation of plays are not my main point, they could use only one lame animation for every dribble/feint over and over and i wouldnt have a problem with it, in fact if the solution to get more dribbles in game is watch the game in 2d then i would play it in 2d but is not the solution because those plays simply are very rare to happen ingame matches, the graphical representation of those plays is not the problem for me.

the problem is that those plays are so rare,  plays from skilled players literally leaving players behind them due to a skill/dribble used, currently in fm22 most of the "skilled" players get a defender glued to them specially when u play with wide attackers, most of IFs and IWs have the instruction "cut inside with the ball" but that rarely happens, what is the most common play they do? run wide with a defender glued to them and they either cross or pass it back to recycle the ball when they have the ball, when they dont have the ball the run into space and end up scoring one taps or assists to other players but thats not what the "cut inside" instruction is, the ingame description of it is "ask wide players to look to come into central areas when running WITH the ball, driving inside their opponent and heading towards the goal" and that rarely happens.

i would rather see mbappe messi and neymar attempting dribbles and losing  the bals 10+ times per game than what i currently get is just a running wide with the ball to cross or recycle ball back to the midfielders, if dribbling/feints/skills from players arent going to be a common occurrence even when instructed to it, then what is the difference between top tier matches and a match from serie C in italy from example?.

in the last 2 or 3 iterations of the game dribbles have been nerfed greatly, and by this i mean actual plays not looking at the match stats (because that is another whole problem in fm22 por example running wide with the ball is counted as a dribble but the defender is glued to the attacker the whole run) play a game in fm15 or fm16 and watch for actual dribbles, defenders left behind walking because they cant keep up with the attacking player, those plays rarely happen in fm22, its not normal or immersive to see those plays 3 times per season at most.

what i mean for dribbles/feints/skills ?  attacker players literally leaving defenders behind due to feints/dribbles and, not having the defender glued to them the whole play, players like mbappe, neymar, antony, luis diaz, dybala, Ousmane Dembele should  be doing plays like those way more than watch they do ingame.

It's fun to dig old FM videos at times and see where we at compared to where we were.

It's so crudely over-the-top, yet so hilarious to watch. A lot more fun than when people were comparing old regen graphics vs new ones... or old pitches against new ones.