Harry Kane

craigcwwe

Two games into the tournament, three shots, no goals and just six touches inside the opponent's box. 

He was leggy in the World Cup in 2018 from open play, won the golden boot which was fantastic but penalties covered up a lot of his overall game. He looked knackered an hour into most games. 

What's going on?

Edited by craigcwwe

11 minutes ago, Bootador said:

He's ****ing ****, I don't know if it's England but he can't be playing like that in real football team. Spurs can keep him.

are we seriously questioning his quality in ****ing 2021 :D  

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Hasn't proven it at the top level yet. 

yeah he's only just come off being top goalscorer and top assists in the best league in the world, has 20 in 24 in CL, won golden boot in wc but sure 

of course i think he's been absolute garbage so far in these 2 games btw 

Just now, iamjerome said:

yeah he's only just come off being top goalscorer and top assists in the best league in the world, has 20 in 24 in CL, won golden boot in wc but sure 

Of course he's quality, but if he can't do it in games that matter it's a pretty big black mark on him.

1 minute ago, iamjerome said:

Wasn't a serious post, but ok.

39 minutes ago, Adamm90 said:

The service to him has been awful to be fair.

His movement has been worse. Can't supply someone that's standing still next to 2 or 3 defenders.

His performances have been inept.

He's capable of so much better.

1 hour ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Hasn't proven it at the top level yet. 

You’ve hated him from day one, so fair play on your consistently.

20 goals in 24 CL games btw….

I totally understand criticism of his euro performances so far, but he’s been a top class player 

Edit- iamjerome got their first!!!

Edited by aggressive minor

He was crap but let's not kid ourselves that we got any better when he came off. Not sure what the answer is tbh, it's hardly like the rest of the attack was firing on all cylinders and he was holding them back but you also can't really stick with someone indefinitely who looks as off their game as he does. Seemed a lot of poor passes and general mis-controls from him tonight outside of the general lethargy of everyone..

Edited by Robokid87

7 minutes ago, aggressive minor said:

You’ve hated him from day one, so fair play on your consistently.

20 goals in 24 CL games btw….

I totally understand criticism of his euro performances so far, but he’s been a top class player 

Edit- iamjerome got their first!!!

I wouldn’t say I hate him. I hate how he’s excused when he plays badly. As an overall player it’s been about 4 or 5 years since I accepted he wasn’t just a 1 (or 2 :D ) season wonder.

Also as said to Jerome, it wasn’t a serious post.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

Yeah, let's play Dominic Calvert-Lewin...he's better.  Or maybe Rashford, yeah, he's better....let's play both....both of them...can we have 12 players play???  Play them both, take Kane out, he's rubbish.

Let's be honest at this moment in time Kane is rubbish and it would be nice to simply play with 11 rather than 10 + him as it currently is.

Any other player would be dropped playing this poorly as it's not like he's missing chances he's literally having zero impact on the pitch in any way whatsoever. Yes he may 'just need a goal' but that's not gonna happen spending most of the game 40 yards from goal plus he's not even getting involved and the team are just carrying him.

Personally I'd give DCL a go because he cannot do any worse and will most definitely give us some presence up front. Never know may just be the change this team needs.

Football is a game of combinations. Spurs see the best of Kane when he and Son play together.

England either need to switch things up to find a combination that gets the best out of Kane or a combination that doesn't include Kane. Right now it's clear they're not getting what they need from him.

1 hour ago, Confused Clarity said:

Football is a game of combinations. Spurs see the best of Kane when he and Son play together.

England either need to switch things up to find a combination that gets the best out of Kane or a combination that doesn't include Kane. Right now it's clear they're not getting what they need from him.

I agree.  At the moment Kane is dropping deep but we aren't making the runs around him to make that work.  In particular players are not breaking from midfield into the box and so we frequently get the ball at the side of the penalty area in what would be a semi-dangerous position but there is nobody in the box to play it in to because Kane is halfway towards the centre circle.  Kane needs to either revert to being a traditional number 9/drop off less, or Southgate needs to get the team playing around him in a way that works.

Edit - or as you say, play a different CF 

Edited by martinji

The service excuse is interesting because yes he didn't have any and i dont think we particularly play to his strengths but when he did have the ball at his feet he just didn't look right, he could barely sprint, didn't look like the ball was under his control and just generally didn't look quite right. He was captain and i don't think i saw him say anything to anyone despite the fact that we were playing badly. 

Obviously i don't know what the issue is exactly but i dont think its just the system and service albeit they don't help.

He said he's even better than he was when we were in Russia 3 years ago when he got the golden boot? he shouldn't be thinking of transfer out of Spurs at a time like this, he needs to prove that he's sharper against the Czechs

Right now i'm not totally convinced by any of England's front three.  Foden is doing  ok, but I think both Kane and Sterling are not really offering much at the moment.  It's a bit surprising as they're both good players, but I think they're playing well within themselves right now.  I'd like to see Southgate make a few changes to the team and add a bit of creativity.  One player i've not really seen much of in the PL is Declan Rice, but watching him play for England i've no idea what the fuss is about - he looks bang average to me.  I'll probably be missing something, but i've no idea what at the moment.  I think England need a creative player to operate in the centre of midfield.  Someone who can pass the ball a bit and get forward to support the attack.  Grealish is probably best suited to the role i'm thinking of.  But with a few changes I think England can get back on track.

5 minutes ago, mrw072 said:

Right now i'm not totally convinced by any of England's front three.  Foden is doing  ok, but I think both Kane and Sterling are not really offering much at the moment.  It's a bit surprising as they're both good players, but I think they're playing well within themselves right now.  I'd like to see Southgate make a few changes to the team and add a bit of creativity.  One player i've not really seen much of in the PL is Declan Rice, but watching him play for England i've no idea what the fuss is about - he looks bang average to me.  I'll probably be missing something, but i've no idea what at the moment.  I think England need a creative player to operate in the centre of midfield.  Someone who can pass the ball a bit and get forward to support the attack.  Grealish is probably best suited to the role i'm thinking of.  But with a few changes I think England can get back on track.

I'm not sure about Rice either. I think I'm missing out on his good games as well.

1 hour ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I'm not sure about Rice either. I think I'm missing out on his good games as well.

There are times when Rice is really good, not just in breaking up play but taking it past a man in doing so and setting up a counter.

There are lots of games where he doesn't do that though.

19 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

People are still saying he is a central defender but i haven't seen him play there once.

But i do agree, at times he does look like one playing in midfield.

3 hours ago, cyclonus1010 said:

People are still saying he is a central defender but i haven't seen him play there once.

But i do agree, at times he does look like one playing in midfield.

Can't remember who it was now, think it was either Keane or Souness who said during the week that Rice would be a better CB than a DM. Like you though I've never seen him play CB at club level and he's obviously never done it for England. 

It’s a shame Ings couldn’t make the squad as he is the natural replacement for Kane with his all round game and the only realistic option I’d think about starting ahead of him.

I don’t think there’s any issue of motivation, for me Kane looks like an athlete whose body is beaten from playing non stop for the past year. He could use that City move as it will give him some prolonged rest that he clearly needs in the upcoming season.

With Kane’s longevity in mind, I wonder how long his international career will continue. If he does get a move to City and has opportunity for regular rest, it might not be a question but at the rate he is going, he could easily burn out into his 30s, if he has another year of being run into the ground then I’m not going to be shocked if he has a sharp decline down the line.

With Greenwood coming through and long term health in mind, wouldn’t be too shocked to see Kane weigh up his options beyond the next world cup. He’s 94 goals off Prem top scorer right now and will be 28 going into the new season, so I’m sure that it becomes a question on what his body can take in the long run at some point.

Kane does look out of sorts really....almost like when he comes back from his injuries.  However, if he gets a goal he then usually picks back up pretty quickly.  Friday was so poor, you coulkd argue if you were binning him then you should be binning a fair few.  I'd keep him in yet, he's still way above any of our other options.  If we play dreadfully again and he sticks out as woeful then I'd maybe argue a change is needed, but it's such a gamble with him basically being the first name on the team sheet for most going into the tournament.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Not really. He was absolutely atrocious the first three games then woke up

Criticising his poor performances objectively was completely fair. Some of the comments, can’t remember which thread, but some posters were calling him lazy!

But wanting to drop our world class striker? Which a lot of people wanted.

11 minutes ago, aggressive minor said:

Criticising his poor performances objectively was completely fair. Some of the comments, can’t remember which thread, but some posters were calling him lazy!

But wanting to drop our world class striker? Which a lot of people wanted.

Well yeah, when your form negatively impacts the side, which it did, because we almost played with 10 men at times, that's completely fair point to raise. We've been here before with Rooney. If Kane had played like that against Germany we'd have been out

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Well yeah, when your form negatively impacts the side, which it did, because we almost played with 10 men at times, that's completely fair point to raise. We've been here before with Rooney. If Kane had played like that against Germany we'd have been out

Rooney’s poor tournaments had injury, suspension or poor form leading up to them, or forcing him into CM. 

Kane has had one of his best seasons.

I mean clearly not dropping him was correct ….