Match 3: Denmark vs Finland - 5pm (BST) BBC1 live from Copenhagen

Coulthard's Jaw

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Players going down that easily after tonight's events :herman:

I know this is a big night for Finland but I could do without the shithousery tbh

To be fair they're probably exhausted, both physically and mentally, after tonight's events.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, afced7 said:

The Finland keeper has looked really ropey.

So many fantasy points though, and I left him on the bench.  

2 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

To be fair they're probably exhausted, both physically and mentally, after tonight's events.

True, but Denmark are still going. Finnish defenders clearly milking knocks because they're winning

No joy in seeing Denmark lose after the events of tonight. But I am thrilled for Finland. They were absolutely excellent with their shape and doggedness. Spent most of the game heading things away, but got the result in the end. I hope they get something against Russia. Moment of the tournament so far (good moment that is). 

3 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

No joy in seeing Denmark lose after the events of tonight. But I am thrilled for Finland. They were absolutely excellent with their shape and doggedness. Spent most of the game heading things away, but got the result in the end. I hope they get something against Russia. Moment of the tournament so far (good moment that is). 

My feelings are very similar. Before the game, I wanted Finland to win*, although I'm not a Denmark hater. After Eriksen's heart attack, I wanted the game to finish as a draw, at least. It's kind of unfair on Denmark, this result, because the mental blow they took was completely unavoidable. It has to be said though, that Finland defended competently. I hope Denmark win their next 2 games.

*As a kid, I often played as Finland on PES/ISS. It's weird underdog fascination. Liking of Finland carried over, I guess?

Really liking the Finland home kit that the fans were wearing. Traditionally, I've bought a top for Euros and World Cups, but with Scotland qualifying this year, it wouldn't feel right to wear another team's kit just in case :D. Definitely would have been tempted by the Finland home top, though. 

16 minutes ago, decapitated said:

This match should have been delayed until tomorrow in an ideal world. If what happened, didn't happen, then Denmark would have won.

I agree. Feel like both teams (especially Denmark) would have benefited from calling it a day and sleeping on it

5 minutes ago, decapitated said:

If what happened, didn't happen, then Denmark would have won

Impossible to say. Prior to Eriksen's illness, the Finns were defending well and Denmark were lacking ideas. That remained the case after the restart. Think it's harsh on Finland to assume this result was solely due to the tragic events. 

2 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Really liking the Finland home kit that the fans were wearing. Traditionally, I've bought a top for Euros and World Cups, but with Scotland qualifying this year, it wouldn't feel right to wear another team's kit just in case :D. Definitely would have been tempted by the Finland home top, though. 

Yep. The Finnish flag looks really stylish on that kit. I hope the Kanerva Line stalls the Belgians and Russians (where the Mannerheim Line failed).

probably more for Scottish people here but the game before felt like it was being played with two average SPL teams :D

one who likes to cross and the other who likes to head the ball away, I feel Denmark probably would have scored from a cross at some point because Hradecky isn't the best keeper/was nervous but obviously events took over and we'll never know how the game might have played out with Eriksen there to create something.  Schmeichel probably saves that header without the events as well you'd think

1 minute ago, TM said:

probably more for Scottish people here but the game before felt like it was being played with two average SPL teams :D

one who likes to cross and the other who likes to head the ball away, I feel Denmark probably would have scored from a cross at some point because Hradecky isn't the best keeper/was nervous but obviously events took over and we'll never know how the game might have played out with Eriksen there to create something.  Schmeichel probably saves that header without the events as well you'd think

Finland reminded me a bit of Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock team, which bodes well for Scotland. You could see their shape towards the end with a flat back five and the midfield sitting just in front of it. Not easy for any team to play against. Though, I'd imaging Belgium would have the key to unlock such a door with the quality they have. 

4 minuti fa, Bunkerossian ha scritto:

(where the Mannerheim Line failed).

The Mannerheim Line held, they were lacking men though. The second russian wave was too much for them especially with "Mr. White Death" Simo Häyhä injured (read missing chin).

3 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Finland reminded me a bit of Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock team, which bodes well for Scotland. You could see their shape towards the end with a flat back five and the midfield sitting just in front of it. Not easy for any team to play against. Though, I'd imaging Belgium would have the key to unlock such a door with the quality they have. 

I know Lukaku is better than Poulsen, but it'll take something special to break into that sea of Finnish defenders. One thing that an offensive team must do, is reduce decision-making time when in the last third. No set-ups for shots, no hesitancy, no fancy move, just cross/shoot! And pray for an own goal.

Edited by Bunkerossian

Been out all day and haven’t watched any of the matches, but I’m totally shocked that the BBC didn’t pull the feed. Surely going back to Linekar filling for 5 minutes is eminently better than showing UEFA’s feed of the CPR etc. It really is very poor from them and would have thought they would have contingency for such an event. Thankfully it sounds like Eriksen is going to be OK, which is ultimately the main thing, but the BBC need to have a long look at themselves after this. 

3 minutes ago, AK22 said:

Been out all day and haven’t watched any of the matches, but I’m totally shocked that the BBC didn’t pull the feed. Surely going back to Linekar filling for 5 minutes is eminently better than showing UEFA’s feed of the CPR etc. It really is very poor from them and would have thought they would have contingency for such an event. Thankfully it sounds like Eriksen is going to be OK, which is ultimately the main thing, but the BBC need to have a long look at themselves after this. 

I'm assuming they'll do something after the amount of ofcom complaints they've surely had. Probably just a token gesture though.

i thought the pen was a pen, the player didnt foul at first, but his knee caught the boot so it's a foul.

it's not one that any fan wants to see but that's how the rule works so... pen, not quite sure why we had a page of objection, unless it was just emotional

31 minutes ago, Butts said:

Can we all just appreciate what a man Simon Kjaer is, no captain is prepared for this but what a way to stand up. I’m sharing these images to show the amazing response, don’t want to go all Bbc.

EE1AC9C6-6201-4655-8888-F761D1043591.jpeg

541A6A45-FE68-430C-9A8C-65C2B32B7C3E.jpeg

Don’t want to speculate too much either but is seen putting him in the recovery position and clearing the airway, from reports then started CPR, the man has made a massive difference to his life tonight if not saved it.

It thus puts the resumption of the fight in a new light. The match was to be played no later than 12 o'clock tomorrow, according to Hjulmand. Still a pressure ball from UEFA.

What I find incredible is that Kjaer realised Eriksen was in real trouble and had the calmness do start first aid.

Looking at it from the tv screen we all can see clearly that he collapsed but being on the pitch with other people in the way must of made it all that much harder to see he was in real trouble. (I havent watched any replays so I dont actually know how far away he was when it happened)

Especially the way that people go down faking injuries and contact these days. Stuff like this should be shown to all players to say that maybe going down like you have been shot when there is nothing wrong with you should stop because that 1 person that could save you might think your just at it and not go and help.

Well done to all of the Denmark Team for being great teamates. And fingers crossed for a speedy recovering Eriksen.

• Administrators

Really not liking the fact UEFA basically gave them a choice of tonight or 2pm tomorrow to fulfill their fixture.

Appreciate there's a tournament and a schedule but bloody hell. 

3 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

And here we go. Using someone almost dying to make a point about why diving is bad. Utterly ridiculous 

Im not using someone almost dying as to why diving is bad.

Diving is bad because its morally wrong and its cheating.

9 minutes ago, Hairycull said:

What I find incredible is that Kjaer realised Eriksen was in real trouble and had the calmness do start first aid.

To have the presence of mind he does is unreal if he fully recovers It’s all down to Kjaer.

1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

Really not liking the fact UEFA basically gave them a choice of tonight or 2pm tomorrow to fulfill their fixture.

Appreciate there's a tournament and a schedule but bloody hell. 

Just reaffirms UEFA have absolutely zero contingency planning whatsoever for even one game being postponed/cancelled.

Was in the middle of making dinner when this unfolded, just completely stunned at the events, and a bit baffled the game eventually continued. Massive kudos to the players for doing that, and I hope the reports are true they volunteered to do so.

If there's such a thing as miracle workers, medical staff are it, and they do that work to their best ability everyday for all of us. That's one thing tonight put (once again) in perspective for me.

4 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

Just reaffirms UEFA have absolutely zero contingency planning whatsoever for even one game being postponed/cancelled.

I think this confirms that staging a major tournament across many countries is a stupid idea from a logistical and technical standpoint. 

If it was all being staged in Denmark, I bet UEFA would have been a little more lenient on when it had to be played by.  But even then, there would be some issues.  Unless the match was delayed to the day after the last group matches were played.

35 minutes ago, Hairycull said:

right, but clearly there's a difference between how Eriksen fell, to a dive. No one is mixing those two up

1 hour ago, Hairycull said:

And yet diving is the only way to win a free kick from referees, which has been proven time and time again 

If you want players to stop diving, start with officials doing a better job

15 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

And yet diving is the only way to win a free kick from referees, which has been proven time and time again 

If you want players to stop diving, start with officials doing a better job

No, stop with players trying to deceive and hitting the floor like they've been shot.

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

No, stop with players trying to deceive and hitting the floor like they've been shot.

No, start by giving clear fouls to players who don't dive around on the floor

Take this one on Foden

Referee didn't give a penalty, VAR didn't give a penalty, but if he drops to the floor holding his ankle, 100% that is given as a penalty 

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Well I mean his point was you wouldn't need to do that if referees didn't wait for the dive to call a foul...

If refs called it as it was, there'd be less feigning contact.

No, it's from the managerial direction of "take the fall, act hurt" to get the foul. The Italians were absolute masters of this, and it's the main reason until now why they've never scored more than 2 goals in a tournament group stage match. They'd always drop to the ground and act injured when a goal up.