FM18 - What career are you planning?

Instigated from the 'Pre-order status' thread, I thought it could be interesting to hear what careers and saves people are planning to do on FM18 :)

I myself am planning to try a non-league English team to take them as far as i can, hopefully to the premier league eventually. I was going to start one a few weeks ago then realised how close we were to FM 18. Tried a few in the past but never found the right club; I think i'm going to use Salford City or Irlam FC (hometown teams at different levels. Irlam are horrendously low I can't remember which database i found them on)

I'll start with Ajax, as I usually do. Trying to develop youth players through the academy and attract top talent for the first team. It will be more difficult this year to get results fast, seeing that their squad is really thin and lacks quality in comparison to the last few years. However, they should have a descent amount of money.

My goal is to be a national champion for a minimum of 4 out of 5 years and to become a consistent contender (quarter final or beyond) in the Champions League after 4 years.

Sunday League rep and unemployed. That's how i will start off.
Whatever happens, in that one and only save i'll play, will happen.
It'll probably end up as a journeyman career, as it normally takes me a few resignations and sackings before i settle with a club.

If I buy FM18, my first career will be at Arsenal - the team I support - with a focus on signing more British players and bringing through more youngsters from the youth academy. I managed them for a season on FM16 but have never really enjoyed a long Arsenal career on any version of the game.

I usually start with a bigger team whilst I get to grips with any new features.. Once I'm comfortable I'll settle down on a challenge of some kind. This year I've been attempting the SAF Challenge (which I've failed, but I'm continuing the save regardless)

1860 Munich - youth academy challenge. Recently relegated to the German 4th tier, I will aim to make them the best side in Munich only signing players from my own academy :).

I typically start in lower leagues and go from there. Maybe I'll do a genuine "be ambitious and mercenary" start for reals this time... but I might just start a smaller top level league and see if I can grow the league and go from there.

Well I always do a Man Utd career of about 6-7 seasons as they are the team I support. Even with the unlimited funds you basically get at Man Utd, I don't like spending unnecessaryly, so rarely use much of what they give me, and I always like to keep up traditions of promoting youth. 

I also plan to do a save with rangers, as I had one on fm17 which I really enjoyed, try and topple Celtic and put rangers back on top again. I also plan to do a save with wolves, just because of some of the signings they have made.

I've played in English leagues from FM 10 to 17 (except 14 RB Leipzig), now thanks to hard brexit in my last Charlton save I want to move to other league. The choice fell on Serie A I will start with Parma Calcio 1913 long-term goal - at least one star (10 Serie A championships)

14 hours ago, smp20 said:

1860 Munich - youth academy challenge. Recently relegated to the German 4th tier, I will aim to make them the best side in Munich only signing players from my own academy :).

This sounds like an amazing idea. Honestly didn't know 1860 fell so far. 

I'm going to take Arsenal back to the glory days of winning the league and also win a lot of champions league's and become a legend at the club.

I already have a list of who i'm going to sell and who i'm going to bring in if they are not snapped up before the transfer window closes.

Levski Sofia, Blackburn Rovers and Munich 1860 would be the top three. In all three cases focusing on academy and youngsters from the same nation.

I'll also probably have a save with Arsenal just to burn that cash!

Atalanta BC and Italy National Team : Domestic players only

West Ham: Chicharito but I hate Arnautovic LOL

Stoke: Jese and Bojan, I love them.

Parma: Restore the glory.

Man Utd: My Favorite team 

Wolves: Did manage in FM17, may not go back, they are kind of OP in Championship.  

• 1 month later...

Definitely Arsenal for me. Had my longest ever save with them on FM17.

I'm mostly interested to know how Ozil and Sanchez will be set at the start of a new save and whether they will want to leave.

Nevertheless, i am planning to sell them, remove AW as DoF and just generally have a clear out.

Hey Mate,

Started my brand new FM18 youtube series today. Im going for a different way of telling the FM journey & this time we are going through the eyes of the media rather than just playing every single game. This should create a series with plenty of backstory to go along with FM18 content. 

Episode 1 is now live on my youtube page - check it out and let me know your thoughts - really to keen to evolve this series based on feedback & develop the story.

FM18 Non League To Average Ep1

Won't be starting a proper long term save until the England lower league database is released. I did have a pretty sick Asia career on 17 when the mega pack from Claasen was released, started in Vietnam, went to Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, SOuth Korea then Australia, was easily my most enjoyable save on 17 so may do that again when those databases are released.

Udinese, the team i support. Plan on making a moneyball save, working hard to get good youngsters through the academy, while thinning the huge squad they have, and obly buying first team players from the transfer list, looking for bargains and players to get back on track with their career

On 8/23/2017 at 16:32, smp20 said:

Good call.. Had an 1860 Munich save a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Won the CL with them and dominated. Think I might try it again.

it's the 'Matthew Benham' Challenge for me, Brentford FC and FC Midtjylland as a dual Manager game with my two cats (Ant & Dec) as the respective Managers.

FC Midtjylland - Are in the early rounds of the Europa League and will need to start fast to progress as well as making an attempt on the Danish League title.

Brentford FC - Will be all about consolidation of a squad with a good team ethic and no superstars, knowing that any emerging stars will probably be sold by the owners to fund the new stadium and a promotion push to the premier League when revenue becomes available via increased fanbase (bigger stadium & top ten prominance in The Championship).

It will be interesting which 'Manager' survives the longest?

I will start out with Chelsea, come to grips with the new features and enjoy running rampant in the league.  

With the new Dynamics module, I think an AC Milan save would be a good save, and will be my second save. 

I only managed Man Utd in my FM17 save, so I think I will change it up this time round. Not sure who exactly, perhaps try and get Villa back up to the Prem  or start lower league, Something I haven't done since FM13.

Gillingham to start with, and then when the first decent English lower leagues pack is released I'll be taking Chatham Town or Rochester (or any team from Southern Counties East) from step 9 as far as I can. If there's a team from the Kent Invicta League that's local to me and the pack does a good job that far down, I might try that as well.

I'll start with St. Mirren - the team i support and try and get us back into the Premiership. Hopefully build a good squad and a team able to play posession based, attacking football.

Then i usually start a game unemployed and see what happens from there :thup:

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 16:32, smp20 said:

Great shout. Did this myself a few FM's back but it petered out unfortunately

1 minute ago, SMV90 said:

As I do every year, trying to make Shrewsbury the biggest club in the world. Become the richest club in the world, most reputable and so on :D

I had a cracking save with Shrewsbury in FM2010 and FM2014 - going to revisit it for FM2018 and see if I can go even better. Under pressure from the off given how well the actual team is doing at the moment! 

I'm actually planning a Shrewsbury career for FM19, to mark the 20th anniversary of my first experience with CM/FM.

Shrewsbury were the first club I ever managed, in the CM3 demo (I chose them at random). Of course, being an 8-year-old who had no idea about tactics, I lost every single game with the Shrews, but I've been hooked on the franchise ever since. :D

58 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I'm actually planning a Shrewsbury career for FM19, to mark the 20th anniversary of my first experience with CM/FM.

Shrewsbury were the first club I ever managed, in the CM3 demo (I chose them at random). Of course, being an 8-year-old who had no idea about tactics, I lost every single game with the Shrews, but I've been hooked on the franchise ever since. :D

My first team managed was Dag & Red on CM 99/00. Ahhhh memories.

Also, far too liberal use of the word franchise. Save that for McDons :lol:

10 hours ago, Kingstontom88 said:

I had a cracking save with Shrewsbury in FM2010 and FM2014 - going to revisit it for FM2018 and see if I can go even better. Under pressure from the off given how well the actual team is doing at the moment! 

I wish I had kept hold of my old save files and the picture of some of my best regens.

The memories and nostalgia!

Archived