England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

I don't think we've been that bad. We've been the better side. If it wasn't for that Germany game we'd probably be looking at it differently. Drinkwater was tidy. Able back up for holding midfield. Vardy's done well. Rose had a good game minus the penalty.

Thought Rose was poor tonight. Got done in first half and in a tourny that tackle would of been a pen in any tourny in first half. We've not exactly been good. Stones/Rose/Barkley/Milner haven't had good games.

Too many changes.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was a very poor performance against what could possibly be the worst Dutch side of my lifetime. Quite a few players seemed to be going through the motions.

Not surprising considering it was a friendly and they've got bigger games coming up with their clubs tbf

Holland cheated/Referee's a ******. Clear foul on Jagielka you idiot :herman:

Who should partner Smalling at centre-back? Seems a bit of a problem position that one unless you use Eric Dier maybe?

might be a blessing as it may give everyone a chance to be realistic(after Germany the press were starting to ramp up our chance as they do for every tournament...couple of more ''friendly'' wins and we would be world beaters)

the defence is very dodgy cant see us improving that much there,no great options at the back .....we have played with a back 4 of nev terry rio cole and been found out in a comp its a worry, but I still am very optimistic that our attack will get the goals to progress deep into the euros

Drinkwater Man of the match. :D What did he do that suggests he is anything other than a 1 cap wonder? He is not an international footballer.

He's always the quiet one who kinda keeps play ticking tbh. He's generally been overlooked by pundits until recently because he's been less flashy than Vardy and Kante.

We still can't beat the Dutch anyway, it's like Iceland with the Danish.

Definitely felt more like the B team tonight.

Our biggest problem for the Euro's is going to be our defense - it's just not good enough.

Beyond the mistakes and getting caught on the ball, the defensive half just felt at odds with the attacking half of the team - Lots of aimless sideways passing, slowing the game down.

I wouldn't take Drinkwater to the Euro's, and I'd hope Forster and Stones weren't starting, they don't look ready. Also leave Milner & Barkley on the Bench. Vardy has to be going though.

Dier at CB, Drinkwater in the holding role. How about that?

How often has dier played CB this season though? He's been holding mid most of the time hasn't he? If so I'd rather have someone there who regularly plays cb.

Definitely felt more like the B team tonight.

Our biggest problem for the Euro's is going to be our defense - it's just not good enough.

Beyond the mistakes and getting caught on the ball, the defensive half just felt at odds with the attacking half of the team - Lots of aimless sideways passing, slowing the game down.

I wouldn't take Drinkwater to the Euro's, and I'd hope Forster and Stones weren't starting, they don't look ready. Also leave Milner & Barkley on the Bench. Vardy has to be going though.

Who do you take as defensive midfielder out of interest?

Stones' defending was fine. He slipped, but that was nothing to do with his defending.

I had didn't have much issue with his first attempt to play out from the back, although Forster seeming a bit panicked and Lallana trying a lay off without knowing what was around him made it seem worse than it was. This is perhaps the issue Stones has though, in that he can see the route out and it seems perfectly logical, but others don't and he causes panic. His second attempt was worse because he allowed them to get too tight to him for a chipped ball and the ricochet could have gone anywhere.

Thought Stones played well, a slip is a slip and can happen to anyone. Rose looked decent at times but then was lucky to not give away 2 pens. Basically he was good on the ball but defensively suspect. Drinkwater was just steady and tidy, kept things ticking over and defended pretty well. Wouldn't have him start over Dier but would definitely take him as back up.

Looking at Stones when he slipped it seemed like he had an eye on the defender and was drawing him in and as he got closer would push the ball past him but he messed it up. Just play the ball earlier or knock it back to the keeper. Seemed like he wanted to beat that man. A slip is a slip but that was avoidable, had his mind on a couple of things, for me

Freaking worst Dutch side in my lifetime and just handed them the game, ffs. So annoying

Last 30 minutes was every bit as lacklustre as the last 30 against Germany was full of positives and good attitude. Very disappointed. How that ref missed that foul on Jagielka as well, I have no idea

Very dissapointing result that and the performance wasn't much better really, though we didn't deserve to lose the game.

That push on Jagielka was a foul all day long, yet the referee doesn't give it. What? :D

Rose had a poor game, gave away one penalty and was fortunate not to concede one in the first half too. Luke Shaw is back in full training with United next week by all accounts so he should hopefully be able to play a few games for United before the end of the season and then he'll be first choice at LB in the Euro's. :thup:

Drinkwater had a good game, can't argue with him getting the MOTM award, definitely a place in the 23 for him to play DM, most likely second choice there to Dier though. Can't see Hodgson taking Dier, Drinkwater and Carrick mind.

Great team move for our goal. Lallana is really good with his feet, very quick thinking and has the ability to pull of these sorts of moves.

Bit of a comedown that loss was after the Germany win but let's be honest, if we were 2-0 to the Germans in an actual tournament, 9/10 they aren't letting that lead go.

Wilshere, Wilshere, Wilshere ... at the scene of some nightclub shenanigans. I am sure he didn't do anything but that boy loves a club. I am not sure Thierry Henry or Dennis Bergkamp know what the inside of a nightclub looks like, what is it with our players?

Sure, it's not 'against the rules' and he is allowed to go out 'OMG you want to put him in a cage!!1!' but no, the guy is a professional athlete and as a professional athlete, particularly one recovering and with not a great injury record, how about just putting ALL your focus on being the best you can be

It's just disappointing. This is a guy that Hodgson seems intent on taking even if semi fit. I think if you have a lot of injuries do you think it's better or worse for your body to be drinking and going to clubs? It's like Bryan Robson back in the day 'yeah, he'd get mullered but he'd train harder than anyone else' ... well, imagine how he could have been if he'd not been a p1sshead and still trained as hard as that

I am sure late nights and not taking care of your body are also not great when it comes to recovery as well. I really don't see enough games in the season for him to come back and make an impression with Arsenal to justify going to the Euros. Tbh I don't even think about him when thinking of England squads

I know what I'd be doing if I was recovering from (yet another) long injury lay off and it wouldn't be going to nightclubs. Balls to any 'boys will be boys' or 'letting off steam' crap too. What seperates players that are good or very good from realising their potential is this kind of thing, it's about dedication and sacrifice too and this guy seems to have neither. Be a rich guy enjoying his life but you can leave your international career behind and your top level club career too

I think I may be like that if I wasn't a professional athlete

These people don't wonder off the street into top flight football they sacrifice a hell of a lot when they are young to make it to the top. They know what sacrifice and discipline is required

'Too much money in football' is absolutely true but at some point people have to take responsibility. I don't want to go down an 'Arsenal should do more' line cause you can't babysit players and this isn't an issue with health, depression and so on it's just an idiot who likes having a p1ss up

If you want to act like a normal 20 something year old lad like all your mates then great, enjoy your career at Brentford and move aside for the next guy

• 3 weeks later...
He's playing pretty well but he's nowhere near international standard. Could do a job as an impact sub mind.

What do you mean by "international standard"?

I'm not advocating Townsend to be in the England squad (would be a sad state of affairs if he was), but the quality levels of international footballers varies significantly from players in the German side to those playing for San Marino for example.

Well our other options for the right-side are Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain. He's in better form than both of those and no-one possesses his directness.

Roy will probably just play someone out of position there anyway. Probably be Sterling left and Welbeck/Lallana on the right.

I'm not advocating Townsend to be in the England squad (would be a sad inditement if he was), but the quality levels of international footballers varies significantly from players in the German side to those playing for San Marino for example.

I'd say he isn't good enough to be starting for the 10th best international side in the world. Decision making is appalling and falls asleep defensively. If he went to the Euros it wouldn't be an outrage as he could be a great sub. The level of opposition varies but England hover in and around the top 10 and he isn't at that level.

I'm not advocating Townsend to be in the England squad (would be a sad state of affairs if he was), but the quality levels of international footballers varies significantly from players in the German side to those playing for San Marino for example.

Surely international standard when used to describe a player relates to the nation he is eligible for?? :D.

Great news for England's chances as The Ox is ruled out. Didn't deserve to be anywhere near the squad based on this season, but Roy would've no doubt taken him regardless.

More deserving than Walcott though. Although I'd rather we take neither of them.

You do realise there's a middle ground yeah? I don't think he's 'an average League 2 player' because that's complete and utter bollocks.

Sterling is a huge talent who could become a top player. As of right now he's a good player.

I'd reserve judgment on Sterling until next season when he isn't playing in a slow and half arsed Pellegrini side. Signs have been there like he was by far our best player in Europe during the group stages, but he's looked woeful in his few brief appearances since coming back from injury

He never seems to actually get to get going in our side though because no one is ever up with him when he does, its always stopping and having to check back like Navas does on the other side

Archived