England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do realise there's a middle ground yeah? I don't think he's 'an average League 2 player' because that's complete and utter bollocks.

Sterling is a huge talent who could become a top player. As of right now he's a good player.

that's your opinion :D which must be correct;)

the league 2 player was to emphasis a point

but just from what I have seen his crossing is average, his first touch poor along with his finishing and general play is not top drawer he has raw pace which is great but doesn't make him a top player

he can develop no doubt but take away that pace what have you got....you can give your observations without being derogatory or churlish I am sure:brock:

1cb9caa544e420f7bff343f64df6c8f8.png

Sterling has pace and fantastic close control/dribbling ability (his dribbling, balance and close control is better than any other England winger). Aside from that...meh...his passing/vision isn't great and he has the shot power of an 8-year-old.

that's your opinion :D which must be correct;)

the league 2 player was to emphasis a point

but just from what I have seen his crossing is average, his first touch poor along with his finishing and general play is not top drawer he has raw pace which is great but doesn't make him a top player

he can develop no doubt but take away that pace what have you got....you can give your observations without being derogatory or churlish I am sure:brock:

It didn't emphasis your point at all. It WAS your point. Which was incredibly hyperbolic.

ohh Sterling's fantastic, and has been in Europe for Man City this year. Just needs a run of games to get that sharpness back, looks he's been a bit ropey since coming back from injury. If he's fit and sharp, he's a starter for me not only for his work on the ball, but he works tirelessly off the ball too.

Ox has been officially ruled out. He is a Hodgson favourite so was expecting him to feature, but that does leave the door open for someone else. With Wallcott being rubbish, it looks quite likely that Andros *spit* ****ing Townsend might get the nod. Which depresses me.

If I'm bringing a sub on to have an impact, I'd rather bring on Townsend than anyone. If you bring him on, you won't see him turning back and passing to the fullback. He'll be taking players on, looking for through balls and taking shots on, usually effectively as well.

I actually thought Sterling was really good earlier in the season. When all of Sterling, De Bruyne, and Silva were fit and playing together, it was terrifying and I thought they would've won the league. He has been poor though after he came back from injury, but he should end up being closer to fulfilling his potential than not at all.

Yeah I wouldn't say Townsend is anywhere near the best player in his position but in his current form it's hard to ignore his chances. Would rather have an in form player that could potentially get a result than a player that may be more talented but is horrifically out of form.

Yeah I wouldn't say Townsend is anywhere near the best player in his position but in his current form it's hard to ignore his chances. Would rather have an in form player that could potentially get a result than a player that may be more talented but is horrifically out of form.

Would rather have a play that's going to fit what we wanted to as a side tbh.

Townsend is going need to do more than just cut in on his left and wallop it at goal hoping for something, because Arjen Robben he is not.

Would rather have a play that's going to fit what we wanted to as a side tbh.

Townsend is going need to do more than just cut in on his left and wallop it at goal hoping for something, because Arjen Robben he is not.

playing him on the left might be helpful i guess

playing him on the left might be helpful i guess

Can't cross for toffee.

He's just quick, that's all. Might aswell stick a pair of football boots on Linford Christie and stick him on the wing.

Can't cross for toffee.

He's just quick, that's all. Might aswell stick a pair of football boots on Linford Christie and stick him on the wing.

Townsend has good ball control at pace. Gabriel Obertan is living proof that being quick counts for nothing if you can't play football. Never have I seen a 'professional' forget the ball so many times.

If I'm bringing a sub on to have an impact, I'd rather bring on Townsend than anyone. If you bring him on, you won't see him turning back and passing to the fullback. He'll be taking players on, looking for through balls and taking shots on, usually effectively as well.

Do you watch Townsend play? He never passes, it's all cut inside and shoot from distance

Do you watch Townsend play? He never passes, it's all cut inside and shoot from distance

yes he does that a lot something he needs to work on.....but old roy is very loyal and will be amazed if he isn't in the squad due to this

His performances don't mean much if he's not fit

Oh he's got a whole 3 or 4 games to get fit, whoopee!

My problem is I think by taking him I reckon he'll be starting and we've been here before with unfit players at tournaments

Who would you rather? Drinkwater? Delph? Noble?

Wilshere is hardly taking the place of someone top class. And Wilshere's performances for England make him a special case

I like Wilshere. The problem is he's made of glass and hasnt' played all year.

Who would you rather? Drinkwater? Delph? Noble?

Wilshere is hardly taking the place of someone top class. And Wilshere's performances for England make him a special case

I would take Drinkwater. And previous performance means nothing if he's not going to be fit enough anyway.

Nope. There's middle ground and he's not **** or 'criminally' overrated but I don't think he's good enough to warrant chosing him over a fit player. Don't think anybody that isn't an Arsenal fan has ever called him world class though.

I would take Drinkwater. And previous performance means nothing if he's not going to be fit enough anyway.

It's not just his previous performances though, it's what he offers this side. England don't have a midfielder like him with his skillset.

The way he carries the ball from deep is unique in England's set up. That's why he must go

It's not just his previous performances though, it's what he offers this side. England don't have a midfielder like him with his skillset.

The way he carries the ball from deep is unique in England's set up. That's why he must go

Again, all irrelevant if he isn't fit to play. Alli has also proved himself an adept ball carrier, Dier and Drinkwater are both better DMs defensively than him. And both Rooney and Carrick have better passing ranges. Providing the balance is picked well, there is enough for very well rounded midfield trio rather than pinning it all on a player who might not be fit. Have we learned nothing from past mistakes on injured players?

Which is a problem for his club. For a one off tournament I don't think it's a huge issue.

It's an issue in a tournament if he's played about half a dozen games leading up to it and that's assuming Arsenal give him gametime today and gets the England friendlies

Otherwise we end up with him looking off the pace with lots of 'he's not 100%' which is like a tournament frequency event for our players. Then we remind ourselves 'let's not take injured players' just before we do it again

Just said on Sky that Wilshere has played 6 minutes of football this season and hasn't completed 90 minutes for Arsenal for 2 years. I didn't realise it was that bad. If that is the case then it's not just a gamble, it's absolute insanity we're even talking about Wilshere. You make that kind of concession for Messi or Ronaldo maybe, not Jack ****ing Wilshere!

Again, all irrelevant if he isn't fit to play. Alli has also proved himself an adept ball carrier, Dier and Drinkwater are both better DMs defensively than him. And both Rooney and Carrick have better passing ranges. Providing the balance is picked well, there is enough for very well rounded midfield trio rather than pinning it all on a player who might not be fit. Have we learned nothing from past mistakes on injured players?

Carrick shouldn't even be mentioned, he's finished at the top level.

Wilshere is a better CM than Wayne Rooney

Have to agree Wilshere shouldn't even be in the discussion at the moment.

You can't have passengers at a tournament, unfortunately I think Roy will show a bit too much loyalty and not be ruthless enough.

I'd cry if Carrick is in the final 23 man squad. He is a man who's legs have fallen off a cliff edge and just looks so far off the pace.

That performance by Jack against Slovenia last summer is what's keeping him in Roys plans :/

I'm not sure I buy these Wilshere stories. It's all just paper talk at the moment right? Or has Roy been chatting on the tube again? It just seems such an unusual thing for Roy to do. He's generally quite conservative and never likes to rock the boat with squad selections preferring to maintain team unity. Just don't buy that this will happen

Carrick didn't get picked for the friendlies and I'm pretty sure he was fit at the time. We don't need him or a barely fit wilshere

He wasn't picked in order to rest him and have a look at Drinkwater. Carrick is fine in a 4-3-3, or diamond where he can have runners, horrible in anything else. Wouldn't start him, but gives us other options if we need to accurately bypass the opposition midfield on the counter.

Archived