England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

Is there an additional standby list in addition to the 26?

I would be very surprised if there aren't a couple of defenders and maybe the likes of Defoe that haven't been told they are next in line should something happen. Last thing we need is people living it up in Las Vegas then getting a call up next week!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get why people seem baffled by Townsend's inclusion and I don't even like the guy. He's been in good form, offers something different to (what you'd expect to be) the starting 11, and there aren't exactly many English wingers excelling atm. No issue with him being a squad member.

that would be a valid point if he didnt then go and pick rooney, hendo, wilshere, stones, delph, sterling and barkley...

that would be a valid point if he didnt then go and pick rooney, hendo, wilshere, stones, delph, sterling and barkley...

Who would you pick instead? There's a valid argument for Noble I'll grant that, but who else?

Townsend deserves to go. Didn't want us to sign him but he's been brilliant. He's got his flaws but as an impact sub there is nobody better except maybe Andy Carroll. If we're playing a diamond and after 55 minutes it hasn't worked, bring on a wide man like Townsend and it gives the opposition something different to think about.

Who would you pick instead? There's a valid argument for Noble I'll grant that, but who else?

yeah we dont have a ton of quality to choose from but antonio and cresswell have been criminally overlooked imo along with noble ofc. defoe? even deeney...

the problem is, he was gonna bring all those ive listed regardless of form anyway except maybe delph, so one token player in form doesnt cut it with me.

People not picking rooney in their starting xi :lol:

I agree 100% with it but Roy isn't going to drop captain fantastic is he. We may as well build our starting xi's around him because that's what Roy is doing.

I would have taken Defoe and Welbeck (is Welbeck fit?) instead of Sturridge and Lallana.

ahead of Sturridge. :D :D :D

Is there an additional standby list in addition to the 26?
If there is it's in Hodgson's mind only

I think they did away with this kind of thing after too much sulking of being on or not on the list

But there's only seven defenders in there and no fourth keeper. Surely a couple of them have been tipped off on the quiet in case of an injury in the friendlies - don't go off on holiday just yet or hit the kebabs too hard, just in case we need you etc.

I think the knowledge of being on 'stand by' was too much for the fragile egos of some players. 'Whaaaaaat, I'm not good enough for the squad but I have to be on stand by'. Maybe on a case by case basis some may know, like Ben Foster

Dier will cover if needed. I was thinking about that and couldnt actually think of anyone other than those three we could put in? Who do Southampton and West Ham use? Van Dijk--Jose Fonte, Reid--Ogbonna?

West Brom were quite good defensively but would anyone have called up Craig Dawson?

Hows about my England squad? Considering the inexperienced players would've had more experience under myself:

GK: Hart, Forster, Heaton

DF: Walker, Rose, Jagielka, Smalling, Francis, Cahill

MF: Milner, Dier, Drinkwater, Noble, Barkley, Dele Alli, Townsend, Antonio

FW: Defoe, Sturridge, Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Deeney

Standby: Tomkins, Adam Smith, Bertrand, Barry, Henderson, Albrighton, Stanislas, Lallana, Rooney, Carroll

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Francis and Smalling can cover the full backs, Antonio is a shoe-in but it helps that he can also cover right-back. I've had concerns about choosing one proper left-back, but England have NEVER changed left-back since at least 1992 (I gave up after looking back 20 years), and when they sub him off (rarely), it's to bring on a non-left-back, even a midfielder or striker. The problem there are so many good and in-form players that this time around I don't think I would want to 'waste' a spot on a couple of defenders who'll never play.

England are blessed with unassuming central midfielders and in-form strikers, it's so hard to drop a few.

So part of Deeney's appeal, other than form, is he can play in attacking midfield and he's a big assister. I can't drop Rashford, bring him while he's hot and an unknown to foreigners. Defoe brings the experience and mature head, but the goals Rooney doesn't have.

A great mix of youth and naivety mixed with experience and maturity in every position. Meanwhile, Roy starts every friendly with Hart and Rooney... and what does Tomkins have to do to get even a look in?

Dier will cover if needed. I was thinking about that and couldnt actually think of anyone other than those three we could put in? Who do Southampton and West Ham use? Van Dijk--Jose Fonte, Reid--Ogbonna?

West Brom were quite good defensively but would anyone have called up Craig Dawson?

Shawcross would've been your obvious answer but Hogdson don't like him. Craig Dawson also has played rightback a lot this season instead of his preferred centerback, and England have plenty of those.

Anyone know if the Liverpool players are excused from Sunday's friendly because of the Europa League final?

Obviously the Man Utd players will be joining up late because of the FA Cup, if the Liverpool players are missing as well we've only got 18 out of 26 available. Not sure what value there is in a warmup game with maybe up to half of the likely starting eleven missing.

Anyone know if the Liverpool players are excused from Sunday's friendly because of the Europa League final?

Obviously the Man Utd players will be joining up late because of the FA Cup, if the Liverpool players are missing as well we've only got 18 out of 26 available. Not sure what value there is in a warmup game with maybe up to half of the likely starting eleven missing.

Warm-up games should be for looking at the maybes, either who hasn't got a starting 11 place for sure or who might or might not get in the squad. But then again, friendlies are supposed to be about trying new players and tactics, but Roy still plays Hart and Rooney in every sodding one. I think they've got enough 'experience' by now, Roy...

Like Michael Carrick' date=' who thankfully is nowhere near the squad[/quote']

He's pretty much only been in recently because we haven't had much in the way of midfielders that can play in the holding role. Now Dier and Drinkwater have broken out and they are much more useful to have than Carrick, who while experienced, hasn't been at his best for the past couple of years.

Sterling, Barkley or Lallana for Fatty.

Would be interested to know how often a 4th CB has actually been needed in tournament football, almost never probably and given the choice I'd rather Dier there than Jagielka anyway with Drinkwater moving into DM.

Would be interested to know how often a 4th CB has actually been needed in tournament football, almost never probably and given the choice I'd rather Dier there than Jagielka anyway with Drinkwater moving into DM.

They mentioned it on Football 365, the 4th choice CB almost never gets any minutes. Think he's sacrificed Jagielka to have two strong full backs on each side, which I hope means he's using the diamond formation.

Barzagli played the full game vs. Ukraine in 2006. Nesta was injured, Materazzi suspended

How is Tom Heaton the oldest goalkeeper ffs? In my head he's still The Next Big Thing at Man Utd, out on loan at Burnley.

Wiki tells me he's THIRTY and actually left Man Utd in 2010 :(

I really want him to play in one of the warmup games. He deserves at least one cap considering how many callups he's had. Plus imagine if England actually did win the Euros, he'd be the first player to win a medal without ever playing.

I really want him to play in one of the warmup games. He deserves at least one cap considering how many callups he's had. Plus imagine if England actually did win the Euros, he'd be the first player to win a medal without ever playing.

Surely that goes to Andres Palop? He has more medals for Spain than he does caps.

BBC did a sort-of poll by asking people to submit their XI. 500,000 people did it in 24 hours, and here's the results:

----------------Hart-----------------

Clyne-----Cahill-----Smalling-----Rose

---------Drinkwater---Dier------------

Rooney-------------------------Delle Alli

-----------Kane-----Vardy---------

How is Tom Heaton the oldest goalkeeper ffs? In my head he's still The Next Big Thing at Man Utd, out on loan at Burnley.

Wiki tells me he's THIRTY and actually left Man Utd in 2010 :(

Whaaaat?? :D I was under the impression he was 'for the future' too :p

I was sure I looked up Heaton a few days ago and he was young.

In that case Pickford should've gone. Same league, played just as well, but he's 22 or something, and he's played regularly in every level of England from U16 to U21. Now's his time to experience a bigger competition, he could be the future for all we know.

Always remember Ian Walker getting an unlikely recall as our third choice keeper for Euro 2004 and he got chucked on for one of the warmup friendlies about 7 years after he had last played for England.

I think this is still a record for the longest gap between England caps.

I'll C+P my post from the League Two thread as some of you have been to England games....

If I do decide to go the playoff final how do you get from Paddington to Wembley and where to stay overnight?

I'll C+P my post from the League Two thread as some of you have been to England games....

If I do decide to go the playoff final how do you get from Paddington to Wembley and where to stay overnight?

Met line from Paddington to Wembley Parkis easiest. Quickest is probably Paddington to Baker Street then jump on the fast tube to Wembly Park.

Er, Paddington's not on the Met line [/pedant]

Bakerloo from Paddington to Wembley Central if you want a direct train, or you can change at Baker Street for a train to Wembley Park which is a slightly shorter walk down to the stadium.

That said, assuming the PO Final is on Bank Holiday Monday I would check the TFL website for any planned engineering works. They have a habit of scheduling them in to clash with Wembley games if it's "only" a lower league playoff final or the Johnstone's Paint or FA Trophy or something.

Ye, the Bakerloo line at Paddington is closed until August. :D

Its saying go to Edgeware Road, get on a train to Highbury, then hop to a train to some junction beginning with W, then hop again to the Wembley train. **** that stress I'll watch it on TV :D

But to Wembley Stadium station its Edgware to Marylebone to Wembley Stadium.

Ye, the Bakerloo line at Paddington is closed until August. :D

Its saying go to Edgeware Road, get on a train to Highbury, then hop to a train to some junction beginning with W, then hop again to the Wembley train. **** that stress I'll watch it on TV :D

Hammersmith or Circle line to Baker Street then Met line should work?

Archived