England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another performance from a team really just giving it everything, every player working hard and rising to the occasion. This is all we ask for for England, to play as well as you can but there's too much despair, angst and introspection. It's just football, you tools.

Not one Wales player froze or bottled it, it's not difficult. Other countries have been managing it this tournament and in others too

You just know that England players aren't looking at this Wales performance thinking 'why can't we play like this, what is stopping us' and 'this is an easy game, why do we make it difficult' but instead they're thinking 'damn, if we won the group we'd have beaten Northern Ireland and I reckon we'd have done this Belgian side ... damn, we could be in the semis' and in their minds their a semi final team again

Been saying it for years but so so so so very fragile. Enough 'the media' and 'expectations' talk or blaming managers and tactics what happened on the pitch, ball at feet was shocking - again

I bet the players aren't even watching the rest of the tournament, no doubt they'll hear Wales are in the semis and they'll think it could have been them. Nevermind, there's a lot of transfer going on atm so let's forget about England until the next tournament and get to the business of signing lots of players for the premier league!

teams england have failed to beat or been beaten by in the past 6 years

Look at the records of even good teams over the last six years and they will have failed to beat or been beaten by teams you'd expect them to win easily. That list is meaningless, the question is why aren't England with their players and resources at least a decent team? Not why haven't they beaten these teams?

Just to rub in how painfully **** we are when it comes down to it. We've beaten all 4 semi finalists In the last year :thup:

can't do it when it matters. When it matters is when the team shows their true level.

We cannot play a tournament, they can expand this thing to 48 teams and we'd limp out the group and lose at last 32 stage

After we scored early and then they equalised you could just sense the 'oh no' from the players and they melted. After that weak arse 2nd goal there was no doubt in mind we'd not score

Look on the bright side, we don't all have to sit here this morning and moan about England getting their arse handed to them by France last night if we'd have beaten Iceland. We've all had our meltdown 1 week earlier :brock:

The weird thing is that pre-Iceland I would have really fancied our chances against France, given that they hadn't really impressed. One week on and it's clear we would have been annihilated.

France have got better as the tournament's gone on, we got steadily worse from an already average level.

“Maybe he is not a striker, not a No9 any more, but for me he will never be a No6, playing 50 metres from the goal. You can tell me his pass is amazing but my pass is also amazing without pressure. To be there and put the ball in the net is the most difficult thing. For me he will be a 9, a 10, a nine and a half – but never a 6 or an 8.”

Mourinho sums up Rooney in midfield perfectly.

“Maybe he is not a striker' date=' not a No9 any more, but for me he will never be a No6, playing 50 metres from the goal. You can tell me his pass is amazing but my pass is also amazing without pressure. To be there and put the ball in the net is the most difficult thing. For me he will be a 9, a 10, a nine and a half – but never a 6 or an 8.”[/i']

Mourinho sums up Rooney in midfield perfectly.

This is pretty much what I thought of Rooney and the whole midfield thing

Problem is it then becomes 'do we start Kane, Sturridge, etc over Rooney when the answer is yes. I'd have Rooney in the squad all day long but not neccessarily starting but England manager doesn't want to do that so they fudge him into the team somehow instead of dropping someone, a la Scholes or whoever ended up left previously.

If we lose and Rooney is on the bench then that is where the media are an arse and what they are scared of, ditto Wilshere, we all know he's not fit and not ready (apart from the 'Wilshere at 75% is still our best midfielder idiots) but he still starts an important game. We fail and no Wilshere then 'why didn't we pick Wilshere' although I find it difficult to believe anyone in the media would honestly have said that

We fail and no Wilshere then 'why didn't we pick Wilshere' although I find it difficult to believe anyone in the media would honestly have said that

They 100 percent definitely would have said that. It seems like it was just yesterday I was reading all this pre-tournament hype around Wilshere, and how he'd won Man of the Match in 6 of his last 7 England games or whatever it was blah blah blah. Completely ignoring the fact that he'd kicked a ball around in competitive football for about an hour in the past 12 months. Of course he was going to struggle, of course he was going to be off the pace but we fell in to that trap yet again of playing our players who aren't fit, in fear of the media statisticians who would throw up how amazing Wilshere has been for us in the past and how he would have been our saviour.

It's amazing how, in this country, a player becomes more and more "England's saviour!!" depending on how little football they've been playing.

Forget about the players who are playing week in week out, pffft who cares about them! Remember when Sturridge scored 24 goals for Liverpool in 2014? Chuck him on!!! Remember Wilshere bossing the game against Brazil in 2013?! Chuck him on!!

We need a manager with balls. A manager with massive, great big balls who's not going to listen to the media and their silly little stats about player X scoring this many goals however many years ago, or player Y having a great season back in 2002, etc.

We need Big Sam don't we.

Pretty sure whoever was in charge would have picked Wilshere, as he's our best and most unique CM

...when he's fit. He wasn't fit this tournament and shouldn't have played a part in it, it's a simple as that. We need a guy in charge who's not afraid to not select our "big players" if they're not performing/injured for Christ's sake.

Pretty sure whoever was in charge would have picked Wilshere, as he's our best and most unique CM. It's not as if he was a starter at Euro 2016 anyway.

He started an extremely important game against Slovakia and made zero impact whatsoever. I'd have had pretty much any fit midfielder in the squad or the league instead :D

We still don't learn, taking injured players cause 'they're the best' just doesn't work. 75% anyone does no one any favours

Archived