England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

Re: Rashford

It is ridiculous. You get experience in qualifiers, in friendlies, in junior tournaments at that age. Taking him on the basis of what, three? months senior football with a decent (but definitely not outstanding) record is either a measure of how bad England are, or how low expectations are.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No real complaints there. Room for potential complaints when he cuts 3 though.

Rashford and Delph are obvious cuts. I think the other will be Townsend.

THere's only seven defenders, so he can't cut there. The other cut has to be a midfielder.

Delph and Rashford as the obvious cuts. In my opinion taking seven defenders has been done in order to create a space for Wilshere. That leaves Drinkwater and Henderson battling for the final spot. Henderson fit he goes, if not DD will have the final spot.

Surprised a 4th CB wasn't named in a bigger squad - purely down to the fact Man Utd have two games left and an injury to Smalling could prove disruptive.

It is ridiculous. You get experience in qualifiers, in friendlies, in junior tournaments at that age. Taking him on the basis of what, three? months senior football with a decent (but definitely not outstanding) record is either a measure of how bad England are, or how low expectations are.

You also get experience and coaching in training camps.

"Since he's gone to Newcastle he's not only got a game but done very well. Theo hasn't had as many games at Arsenal. It was a tough decision but one I needed to take. I don;t enjoy making comparisons. We've worked very hard to analyse and select the players we think are the right ones."

Based on that, why did he take Wilshere instead of Noble then? And based on that, surely he will cut Wilshere out. I would take Delph btw. He is one the few CM who can use the ball and make runs from deep etc. Like Wilshere but he has only started 1 league game.

Delph and Rashford as the obvious cuts. In my opinion taking seven defenders has been done in order to create a space for Wilshere. That leaves Drinkwater and Henderson battling for the final spot.

Surprised a 4th CB wasn't named in a bigger squad - purely down to the fact Man Utd have two games left and an injury to Smalling could prove disruptive.

I'd cut Townsend. If Dier is also covering defence, dangerous to not have Drinkwater there

"Since he's gone to Newcastle he's not only got a game but done very well. Theo hasn't had as many games at Arsenal. It was a tough decision but one I needed to take. I don;t enjoy making comparisons. We've worked very hard to analyse and select the players we think are the right ones."

Based on that, why did he take Wilshere instead of Noble then? And based on that, surely he will cut Wilshere out. I would take Delph btw. He is one the few CM who can use the ball.

Let me translate that quote:

'You have to be pragmatic in international football. Townsend has done great for me, and all he needed was to start playing regularly for me to pick him. Walcott has been ****, and was only in contention for as long as he kept playing'.

I think Townsend is **** and one dimensional, but he seems to have done well for England, so he's been picked.

not sure how Townsend can be cut when he's pretty much the only player with natural width. Walcott is and has been terrible, it's the right choice.

I think it's great (for him) that Rashford has been included in the 26, what an experience that will be for him, if he scores a goal or two in the friendlies he might well get the call but i'm sure he knows he's the most likely to get cut.

other players I would cut is whoever is the most unfit out of Wilshere and Henderson, and Delph.

no Carrick :)

Let me translate that quote:

'You have to be pragmatic in international football. Townsend has done great for me, and all he needed was to start playing regularly for me to pick him. Walcott has been ****, and was only in contention for as long as he kept playing'.

I think Townsend is **** and one dimensional, but he seems to have done well for England, so he's been picked.

Fair enough. I think Townsend is deserved though. People say he is predictable but he is not imo. He has improved with his right foot, can cross with both foot and I think he is a good option. He just needed a run of starts to prove his quality. I wonder if Sterling could be cut. Highly doubt it because he is good for England but has been shocking for City recently.

I think Townsend will be cut but I think he offers a lot.

not sure how Townsend can be cut when he's pretty much the only player with natural width. Walcott is and has been terrible' date=' it's the right choice.

I think it's great (for him) that Rashford has been included in the 26, what an experience that will be for him, if he scores a goal or two in the friendlies he might well get the call but i'm sure he knows he's the most likely to get cut.

other players I would cut is whoever is the most unfit out of Wilshere and Henderson, and Delph.

no Carrick :)[/quote']

I agree but it points to England playing a diamond.

Cant cut Drinkwater if you plan on using Dier as both starting mid and defensive cover

Why? It's very unlikely 2 of our CBs will become injured, and even if so, he'd just play Milner and Wilshere/Henderson/Drinkwater in the CM position. Or even drop Alli back in there.

He's not being taken. No chance he makes the final 23.

Rashford and Delph are obvious cuts. I think the other will be Townsend.

THere's only seven defenders, so he can't cut there. The other cut has to be a midfielder.

Of course he can, he's taken 3 FBs to his last two major tournaments IIRC.

Of course he can, he's taken 3 FBs to his last two major tournaments IIRC.

But he's probably taken four central defenders. Now he's only got three. You can't leave six defenders plus Dier in a squad. I know Spain do it, but Spain are stupid for doing it.

EDIT: Yeh he did take four central defenders.

he will' date=' but we've seen him be flexible in his set up during a game. if he wants to go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 at least he'll have the option if he keeps Townsend in[/quote']

That's usually when we've had Welbeck and Chamberlain (and Walcott). Don't have any of them in the side.

I hope Townsend goes simply because he is the only "game changer" and one capable of coming up with magic if needed. Would be a bonus wildcard. He has been quality at Newcastle. His crossing with either foot has been good, his shooting, creativity and he is scoring. I would have him over the likes of Sterling, Rooney but doubt it. I am glad Hodgson as recognised his form though.

I hope Townsend goes simply because he is the only "game changer" and one capable of coming up with magic if needed. Would be a bonus wildcard. He has been quality at Newcastle. His crossing with either foot has been good, his shooting, creativity and he is scoring. I would have him over the likes of Sterling, Rooney but doubt it. I am glad Hodgson as recognised his form though.

That is rubbish.

Wilshere, Rashford and Delph should be easy cuts from that selection. Wilshere, though, will of course be kept around despite everything. Decent-ish squad overall, though that defence looks very fragile. Shawcross should've been in, though there was never any chance of that.

Considering Wilshere is our best deep-lying CM, he's in no way an easy cut. He can do things none our other CMs can. Wilshere for example can carry the ball and can be effective in tight spaces in the final third, Henderson just can't.

I agree, I love Townsend.

Considering Wilshere is our best deep-lying CM, he's in no way an easy cut. He can do things none our other CMs can. Wilshere for example can carry the ball and can be effective in tight spaces in the final third, Henderson just can't.

He's also not fit yet. We've been here before with half fit players...

he still has the possibility of some flexibility with sterling' date=' lallana and townsend. it's not ideal but it's an option[/quote']

I wouldn't keep Townsend on the basis of weakening what we have in midfield, when we are probably going to be better balanced in a diamond.

If it was a call between him and Drinkwater, I'd drop Townsend in a heartbeat

He's also not fit yet. We've been here before with half fit players...

Yeah, with Rooney/Beckham playing their first game back during the actual tournament. Wilshere already has minutes under his belt and has the friendlies to play in.

I'm kinda shocked Walcott hasn't at least made the 26 btw.

He's played less competitive games than Abou Diaby this season.

stop smoking :D

Yeah, with Rooney/Beckham playing their first game back during the actual tournament. Wilshere already has minutes under his belt and has the friendlies to play in.

I'm kinda shocked Walcott hasn't at least made the 26 btw.

Wilshere is horribly injury prone, has been out for months, and has played 6, 66 and 69 minutes respectively on his return.. no way he's ready yet, and there's what 3 friendlies left?

Initial England squad - 3 players to be trimmed.

Goalkeepers: Hart, Forster, Heaton

Defenders: Bertrand, Clyne, Cahill, Rose, Smalling, Stones, Walker

Midfielders: Alli, Barkley, Dier, Delph, Drinkwater, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Sterling, Townsend, Wilshere

Strikers: Kane, Rashford, Rooney, Sturridge, Vardy

He'll cut Rashford, Henderson or Drinkwater and one of the FBs maybe?

Agree with that. I don't think Rashford goes, and either Bertrand or Clyne will probably be cut since you don't really need 4 full backs. After that, Hendo will be cut if he's not fit, or Delph or Drinkwater maybe. I don't think Delph should be near the squad though to be honest.

I was also a bit surprised at Jagielka's exclusion.

I wouldn't keep Townsend on the basis of weakening what we have in midfield, when we are probably going to be better balanced in a diamond.

If it was a call between him and Drinkwater, I'd drop Townsend in a heartbeat

the call should be between Drinkwater and Wilshere and it should be Wilshere to not be included

Saying Wilshere shouldn't go is borderline ******** to be honest. I hate the ***** but if he's back playing (which he is), then he obviously, obviously goes. It was always going to happen. He's just a better player than the other options.

Why has he selected so many FBs? Dier and Stones can both play RB if needed. Surely one of the RBs will be cut.

Then you're left with six defenders. He won't go with six defenders.

I can only guess that he sees one of them (Bertrand) as a wide option in midfield. Or, given that he's going to play 4-3-1-2 by the looks of the squad, he understands the full-backs are important and can't afford to go with just three. Stones at full-back in that system won't be as effective as Hodgson needs him to be.

Having typed that out, it's probably the latter.

Archived