England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

I'd play Barkley much deeper than AMC' date=' his ability on the ball and his ball carrying would be a key part of our counter attacking play. Also I think his decision making in and around the penalty area isn't up to scratch yet.[/quote']

His decision making isn't up to scratch full stop, which is why you wouldn't want him having a brain fart 35 yards from your own goal.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He does it so rarely though and more often than not flatters to deceive by beating 5 men then doing something terrible with it. I think he has absurd talent but I think he could do with being dropped with the aim of sending the message to him to work on those parts of his game.

Though given our general shortage of good CMs it is pretty easy to justify his inclusion

He can do and I wouldn't trust starting him against a top team in the Euros but if we are struggling against a 4th seed (likely) I think he is a useful player to bring on who has the ability to create a bit of magic. I think you are being a bit harsh on him regardless it's not like other young players going don't have similar flaws and probably don't maximise their ability either (Wilshere, Sterling, Ox). A player like him is probably going to be more useful to take than a 8th defender or 4th winger.

He can do and I wouldn't trust starting him against a top team in the Euros but if we are struggling against a 4th seed (likely) I think he is a useful player to bring on who has the ability to create a bit of magic. I think you are being a bit harsh on him regardless it's not like other young players going don't have similar flaws and probably don't maximise their ability either (Wilshere, Sterling, Ox). A player like him is probably going to be more useful to take than a 8th defender or 4th winger.

I think he has bigger issues than them. For instance Sterling whilst he may not be able to finish that well his tactical understanding is very good. He knows how to move and where to move and he generally makes good decisions. Wilshere has similar tendencies as Barkley but those only tend to be apparent when he hasn't had a run of games. If he gets a run of games he not only stops running into players but his excellent vision is fully utilised.

Chamberlain is fair enough but I would say about him is that his tactical flexibility is very good

Is it just me who finds Wilshere incredibly overrated? People view him as next Gazza or Hoddle but I just can't see it to be honest. For one he has glass ankles and spends most of his time on the treatment table and the other thing is he isn't consistent at all. When he is good, he is great but he isn't consistent enough.

I think Carrick's time with England should be coming to an end. He's not the player he was anymore and having both Carrick and Henderson starting together also strikes me as very negative and kind of pointless, they're too similar. I'm not sure Wilshere is good or creative enough to counteract that in a midfield 3 either.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Wilshere being the next Gazza or Hoddle for a good 4/5 years to be fair :D

If we're going to play a quite defensive, counter attacking game (which I suspect is what Roy will go for), Wilshere is one of the few Englishmen who can play the CM role in the required fashion.

I think Carrick's time with England should be coming to an end. He's not the player he was anymore and having both Carrick and Henderson starting together also strikes me as very negative and kind of pointless, they're too similar. I'm not sure Wilshere is good or creative enough to counteract that in a midfield 3 either.

They are really not similar. One is a holding mid and the other is more box to box for start. Also selecting both doesn't mean you have to play them at the same time. We only have 2 holding mids in Dier aned Carrick, given their respective standings in their careers, no brainer that we should take both.

Don't think Carricks performance against Spain has helped his cause (granted not the only poor player that game). But you want him there to break play and keep the ball, did neither as Spain just dictated proceedings without ever getting out 3rd gear. A side that since World Cup have struggled badly against any half decent opposition.

He really does seem to me like his legs have falling off a cliff edge this season. I'd actually put Barry ahead of him right now if you want the experienced been there done it CDM.

You also gotta remember he will be 35 years old only 3 weeks after the Euros.

I think he might just miss out. He's going to have to bring something really special to the table to warrant his selection.

If w had another DM in-between Carrick and Dier, i'd leave Carrick behind, but we are really lacking there. Can't go with just one of them.

How come Mark Noble never gets mentioned in these central midfield discussions? Granted he's not the most exciting name in the world but he's consistent and I'd put him ahead of players like Carrick, Delph and Shelvey. Even Henderson imho.

Not saying he should definitely be in the squad but if the names above are getting considered he should definitely be in contention.

How come Mark Noble never gets mentioned in these central midfield discussions? Granted he's not the most exciting name in the world but he's consistent and I'd put him ahead of players like Carrick, Delph and Shelvey. Even Henderson imho.

Not saying he should definitely be in the squad but if the names above are getting considered he should definitely be in contention.

Because Mark Noble realistically will not be getting near the squad, rightly or wrongly.

If w had another DM in-between Carrick and Dier, i'd leave Carrick behind, but we are really lacking there. Can't go with just one of them.

If Wilshire is fit he will be considered the 2nd DM. We all know he isn't one as such but he didn't do a bad job when woy played him deep in the diamond, it was clearly a plan from the management to mould him into England's DM

Because Mark Noble realistically will not be getting near the squad, rightly or wrongly.

If we're talking about Fabien Delph he should at least be in the discussion. Even if, like I said, he shouldn't necessarily be in the squad. Considering some of the dirge that has been called up in recent times I just find it odd he's never been in contention.

He's not been playing that well this season. Certainly not well enough to warrant a call up at the moment. Although yea, can't believe he hasn't even got 1 cap, whereas Roy's been handing out caps like hot muffins for the past few seasons.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, if anyone's being left out of these line ups for Henderson or Milner Barkley's the one I'd be least sorry to lose. He's still too braindead to be of any use in the later stages of a major tournament. Never looks up.

I know Rooney and Henderson will start but I'd love to see this:

Hart

Clyne

Smalling

Stones

Shaw/Baines/Whoever is fit

Dier

Alli

Barkley

Sterling

Kane

Vardy

The way things are going we'll probably end up with Cameron Borthwick-Jackson at LB.

At least in goal we can be fairly confident regardless of who out of the inevitable main three of Hart, Butland and Forster play

Yeah, if anyone's being left out of these line ups for Henderson or Milner Barkley's the one I'd be least sorry to lose. He's still too braindead to be of any use in the later stages of a major tournament. Never looks up.

Yeah I just don't get the desire to have him in there for the reasons you say. Also I think we should be cautious about how we line up with Dier at DM as he isn't that good on the ball and he needs people near him who can make up for that

ahhh yes, every two years brings me so much joy watching england and their fans flail about out of the major competitions!

If you guys put together a likeable squad on the field for once, I won't laugh so much when you get knocked out.

I'd like to see this squad tbh,

Forster (yes he's a giant and hasn't put a foot wrong in an England shirt, albeit a few games..)

Baines

Stones

Cahill

Clyne

Sterling

Henderson

Wilshire

Oxe

Kane

Vardy

I wonder if Glen Johnson will be making his way back into the squad as back-up RB with his performances this season. I'd much rather have players with ability on the ball in the middle like Alli, than the limited Milner and Henderson, I guess one of them would be ok but defo not both.

Baines had his chance at WC14 and was very poor. Looked out of his depth, and his club form since then hasn't been as good as prior to the World Cup :( If Woy didn't take Ashley Cole to the World Cup then he shouldn't take Baines to the Euros. As the other options have a great chance of going to next World Cup whilst Baines doesn't.

Johnson I will be surprised to see go, just like any other RB outside Clyne. Can see Woy taking just the one with Smalling/Jones as RB cover /o\

We should be looking forward though, not backward. Johnson is 31, he's incredible average and he won't be around for the next WC.

If we were going to take four full backs, it should be Clyne and Kyle Walker (who I dont particularly like, we just don't have other options) and Shaw/Bertrand.

We should be looking forward though, not backward. Johnson is 31, he's incredible average and he won't be around for the next WC.

If we were going to take four full backs, it should be Clyne and Kyle Walker (who I dont particularly like, we just don't have other options) and Shaw/Bertrand.

Johnson is better than Walker though and always has been, so WTH would you take Walker?

We didn't take Ashley Cole to the last WC and we should have done. Age doesn't matter as long as the ability is still there.

Johnson is better than Walker though and always has been, so WTH would you take Walker?

We didn't take Ashley Cole to the last WC and we should have done. Age doesn't matter as long as the ability is still there.

Ashley Cole is/was a lot better though. There's very little difference between Johnson and Walker who are both bog-standard players.

I think Clyne has been pretty good this season, one of few Liverpools that's been consistently better then poor. Wouldn't say Johnson has been better, but would agree with argument if Clyne was to get injured then he could be next in line as there's nothing between him and Walker who seem like the only other options for RB atm.

Archived