England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he plays as well as he is today then the future could be euro 2016.

And if Dier can cement his role as a defensive midfielder he'll be one hell of an asset too, as we don't really have anyone to replace Carrick as the anchor in midfield once he's gone.

And if Dier can cement his role as a defensive midfielder he'll be one hell of an asset too, as we don't really have anyone to replace Carrick as the anchor in midfield once he's gone.

He'll need to expand his passing game, but he's doing well with with the rest of it.

Also our set pieces are bollocks.

He'll need to expand his passing game, but he's doing well with with the rest of it.

Also our set pieces are bollocks.

That's because Barkley doesn't have a brain. He is pretty much the Waterboy in a football shirt.

Carrick shouldn't be considered in m opinion anyway. If dier keeps playing this role every week for spurs then he is definitely in with a shout. There will be a lot of midfielders pushing for a spot if everyone is fit but alli and dier both have attributes that we would lack without them

Carrick shouldn't be considered in m opinion anyway. If dier keeps playing this role every week for spurs then he is definitely in with a shout. There will be a lot of midfielders pushing for a spot if everyone is fit but alli and dier both have attributes that we would lack without them

Carrick is still better than Dier, and has experience that this side lacks in key areas. Dier can still learn a lot from him too, doesnt need to be one or the other. Ideally you'd take both of them for that DM spot, being the only two holding mids.

Well there we go, a fairly comfortable 2-0 win. Rooney looked like he was starting to show the odd flash of his old self again, I think he works better out wide with Kane in the middle as Rooney likes to wander. Alli looks like a real prospect, while Dier looks like he can be the long term holding midfielder we need (he just needs a bit of passing tutelage from Carrick, or Beckham if we ask him to help coach the Euro 2016 squad). Stones and Smalling are my choices to start in the centre of defence at the Euros, barring injury.

Alli and Dier look good together and considering that's our weakest positions it's good have a partnership which could really develop over the remainder of the season.

But realistically you can't really take much out of this game for obvious reasons. Wait till the Germany game. Hope we get some more of our injured players back for that.

Dier was okay I thought, nothing more. Sometimes left the midfield area very vacant as he was drawn out. On the ball has a lot to learn also.

Alli is a very good prospect. Not sure if he is a superstar like Gerrard, Rooney etc were but I would be surprised if he isn't consistently involved with England over the next 10 years

Just thinking about the central midfield options in the summer, and assuming Alli continues doing what he's doing, and Dier is the solid DM who helps Spurs claim a top 4 finish, where does that leave the squad?

If everyone's fit, we have:

Wilshere

Carrick

Alli

Dier

Barkley

Oxlade

Milner

Henderson

Shelvey

Delph

I think that's it. You can only have 5, maybe 6 if they can play out wide. Who would you take?

Wilshere is a must for me, we don't have anyone as confortable on the ball like him, and his drive is infectious.

I think Milner's time is up personally. He's good, but he's been shocking for Liverpool recently and I'd prefer to see Alli (if he keeps this up) in his place.

I don't see what Henderson brings to England, he's never performed, but I'd have him over Shelvey, who's not an international player.

Carrick if fit needs to be in there, although I'm wary about his ability to play games that bunched up.

Dier as another DM? He can also double up as a defender if needed, so I think he might be worth a shout. can't really see what Phil Jones' has got that gives him the right to claim that DM/D role over him ability wise.

I don't particularly like the Waterboy, but Barkley is a good option to have off the bench so I'll take him. Also, I'd love for Oxlade to reach his potential, the fact he can play anywhere across the front and midfield is a bonus.

Leaving Delph, Shelvey, Milner at home for me I think.

It's a tricky one, glad to see we've got more options now as that midfield was looking bare a few months back.

Dier was okay I thought, nothing more. Sometimes left the midfield area very vacant as he was drawn out. On the ball has a lot to learn also.

Alli is a very good prospect. Not sure if he is a superstar like Gerrard, Rooney etc were but I would be surprised if he isn't consistently involved with England over the next 10 years

Do we want him to be a superstar like Gerrard and Rooney? A combative midfielder that can control play and score the odd belter is more than good enough, and can avoid the overhype that superstars get. I'd much prefer someone like Paul Scholes to Gerrard. Someone who never really became a "superstar" player and generally just got the job done. Scholes was never particularly hyped by the media and fans when he was younger (that I remember) and he kept a rather quiet life out of the public eye but he was seen by fellow players as one of the best in the game.

I remember Hoddle saying we should build the England team around Scholes ... that's some hype right there ;)

Was a good performance. I think France missing some top players but we always miss top players too. They are probably better than us but like to think we could be competitive in a tournament match and see how it went. However, that team last night they started with I didn't think was super amazing so would have been disappointed to not get something

Pogba is such a great player though. Wonder how long Juve can stop the big money vultures from circling for him?

Just thinking about the central midfield options in the summer, and assuming Alli continues doing what he's doing, and Dier is the solid DM who helps Spurs claim a top 4 finish, where does that leave the squad?

Wilshere

Carrick

Alli

Dier

Barkley

Oxlade

Milner

Henderson

Shelvey

Delph

I think that's it. You can only have 5, maybe 6 if they can play out wide. Who would you take?

Wilshere is a must for me, we don't have anyone as confortable on the ball like him, and his drive is infectious.

I think Milner's time is up personally. He's good, but he's been shocking for Liverpool recently and I'd prefer to see Alli (if he keeps this up) in his place.

I don't see what Henderson brings to England, he's never performed, but I'd have him over Shelvey, who's not an international player.

Carrick if fit needs to be in there, although I'm wary about his ability to play games that bunched up.

Dier as another DM? He can also double up as a defender if needed, so I think he might be worth a shout. can't really see what Phil Jones' has got that gives him the right to claim that DM/D role over him ability wise.

I don't particularly like the Waterboy, but Barkley is a good option to have off the bench so I'll take him. Also, I'd love for Oxlade to reach his potential, the fact he can play anywhere across the front and midfield is a bonus.

Leaving Delph, Shelvey, Milner at home for me I think.

It's a tricky one, glad to see we've got more options now as that midfield was looking bare a few months back.

You say you don't see what Henderson brings to England but Carrick has never brought anything for England, barely performed and now is injury prone, older than time and slower than Pavarotti running through Marmite. He also looked useless against Spain. His time has been up for years

Do we want him to be a superstar like Gerrard and Rooney? A combative midfielder that can control play and score the odd belter is more than good enough, and can avoid the overhype that superstars get. I'd much prefer someone like Paul Scholes to Gerrard. Someone who never really became a "superstar" player and generally just got the job done. Scholes was never particularly hyped by the media and fans when he was younger (that I remember) and he kept a rather quiet life out of the public eye but he was seen by fellow players as one of the best in the game.

Scholes was a superstar. He is now overrated it is just a lot of it came too late and he was under-appreciated for a long time.

I was referring mostly to Alli's ability not sure he will ever become a truly top class player.

Scholes was never particularly hyped by the media and fans when he was younger
They're certainly making up for that now.

But you're right, international football is about control, intelligence and tactical nous, and Scholes was one of the few 00s era England players that had that.

did people not think Alli was looking pedestrian and out of his depth before he scored? Seems like we're massively over-hyping him (if that's a phrase)

Not at all - if anything he was looking a bit nervous and over-enthusiastic I though (the complete opposite of pedestrian). His energy and willingness to try and make things happen was encouraging, if he can keep it up he'll be a real asset.

Wilshere

Carrick

Alli

Dier

Barkley

Oxlade

Milner

Henderson

Shelvey

Delph

[snip to stop the quote taking up the page]

Wilshere, Barkley, Henderson, Delph, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Dier (if he plays there all season and doesn't turn ****), Milner

Wilshere

Carrick

Alli

Dier

Barkley

Oxlade

Milner

Henderson

Shelvey

Delph

Carrick

Dier

Wilshere

Alli

Barkley

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Wilshere, Henderson, Carrick, Delph/Alli, Dier.

Chamberlain goes as a winger. First three should be our first choice midfield trio.

Those 5 (Alli over Delph) but also as frustrating as he can be, I think Barkley has to go as he can be a great bench option and has the potential to be one of our biggest game changes.

Yeah that is what I see him as. I don't think he is actually that good at CM but he could cover Wilshere pretty well. I think that trio is really well balanced and it gets the best out of our best CM (Wilshere) who works better in a 1-2 set up and having someone who makes off the ball runs. Henderson likewise will benefit from Wilshere's strengths

Those 5 (Alli over Delph) but also as frustrating as he can be, I think Barkley has to go as he can be a great bench option and has the potential to be one of our biggest game changes.

He does it so rarely though and more often than not flatters to deceive by beating 5 men then doing something terrible with it. I think he has absurd talent but I think he could do with being dropped with the aim of sending the message to him to work on those parts of his game.

Though given our general shortage of good CMs it is pretty easy to justify his inclusion

Barkley won't be competing with them. Barkley is an AMC, the rest on Bliss' list (AOC aside) are all deep-lying CMs.

Barkley can play CM in a 1-2. In fact I think it would suit him much more anyway. Allows him to carry the ball and doesn't show his short comings as much

Barkley won't be competing with them. Barkley is an AMC, the rest on Bliss' list (AOC aside) are all deep-lying CMs.

I'd play Barkley much deeper than AMC, his ability on the ball and his ball carrying would be a key part of our counter attacking play. Also I think his decision making in and around the penalty area isn't up to scratch yet.

Archived