Your greatest "wtf just happened" moment

So my CB has the ball halfway between our box and midfield. There's no immediate danger, so he turns around and passes (shoots!) the ball towards our GK. GK clearly did not expect that strike, a spectacular own goal. Magnificent. 

Wtf just happened?! 

Looking forward to hearing your stories! 

Comfortably winning a game and with about 10 mins to go, a long ball from the opposition defence was hit over the head of my DL, who rushed back to cover.  Now, not only did my DL rush back, but also my 2 DCs rushed over to cover! A bit OTT I thought, but having closed down the space, they then all stopped about 1 meter away from the opposition player, allowed him to cross to the penalty spot where their ST was waiting in splendid isolation.  Now you would have thought that with the 2 DCs inexplicably getting out of position, the DR would have pulled into the middle to cover?  Nope, he was tightly marking the touchline and consequently the ST has about 50 metres of room to dispatch the ball past the stationery GK.  Oh, dear!  I don't often shout at the screen, but boy, did I shout this time

70th min, 1-0 up,  3rd injury of the game, captain at centre back subbed off my last substitution. 

Ball over the top, Keeper comes out collides with the forward and the centre back... ball rolls in.. 1-1

keeper and new sub both injured.  play the last 10 with 9 men, and centre forward in net.  lost 3-1.

Just literally happened to me and saw this thread.  1-0 up at Old Trafford, defending brilliantly and my keeper makes a couple of world class saves.  Anderson hits two screamers that hit the bar and post so I could have been 3-0 up.  Attacking with three minutes to go and Declan Rice inexplicably passes backwards to no one apart from Anthony Martial on the edge of their area.  Breel Embolo keeps up with him, shepherds him wider and then bizarrely makes a rash challenge to give them a penalty.  1-1.  Then we hit the post again, the ball bounces clear 30 yards and they attack, we get back and a pea roller of a 30 yard shots squeezes in at the near post after my keeper who has had a fabulous 91 minutes palms it into the net!!  Lose 2-1.  To be honest it happens too much when you are ahead against a better team.  They always equalise and go on to win it seems with either a penalty, free kick screamer, set piece, error from your keeper or a thirty yard effort.  Flipping annoying!!!

Oh, I had another one last night. 

2-0 up and we're in overtime. 4 minutes added. Opposition hits a long ball over the top and their striker latches on to make it 2-1 in the 92nd minute. Annoying, but whatever. They've been toothless all game. 

We kick off, lose the ball on the flank and their winger gets to it. 

You know what happens when someone actually manages to deliver a back post cross, yeah? 

Final score 2-2. They scored in 90+2 and 90+3.

Wtf just happened!! 

Most recent game, opening fixture of the new Singapore league, straight from kick off ball out wide on their left wing. Cross comes in, not a threatening one but lands my center halves feet, he takes a touch then puts his foot through the ball, hits a midfielder who's edge of the box, and bounces right back into the net. Terrific start. Went on to lose 3-0.

3 hours ago, Footix said:

Oh, I had another one last night. 

2-0 up and we're in overtime. 4 minutes added. Opposition hits a long ball over the top and their striker latches on to make it 2-1 in the 92nd minute. Annoying, but whatever. They've been toothless all game. 

We kick off, lose the ball on the flank and their winger gets to it. 

You know what happens when someone actually manages to deliver a back post cross, yeah? 

Final score 2-2. They scored in 90+2 and 90+3.

Wtf just happened!! 

I already post it on the funny screenshot topic, it remembers me this game 

58383277_439219050164738_725810934711949

Hopefully, you did not have 6 minutes extra time ! 

Edited by Follon

One of these I remember recently in my favour in a PSF against a poor side.  Striker shoots, their keeper makes a decent save onto the post and it dribbles back on the line.  Keeper on the deck, none of my players anticipate, so their CD rushes back and lashes the stationary ball into the top corner!  Made me chuckle.

This one is based on a full couple of seasons. I have never seen it before.

Crystal Palace got demoted to the championship in 22/23. In the season of 23/24 Crystal Palace go onto win the Carabao Cup and qualify for the EC the next season despite being still stuck in the championship.

Season 24/25 rolls around with Crystal Palace qualifying for the EC group stage still after being in the championship. Crystal Palace almost get demoted that season to League One but somehow WIN the EC. This qualifies them for the Champions Cup the next season and are still in the Championship.

Season 25/26 and Crystal Palace are in the group stages of the Champions Cup. Crystal Palace make the final four before finally being eliminated by Paris SG. In the Championship, Crystal Palace qualify for the playoffs for a promotion spot but lose in the first round keeping them in the Championship.

I had one that was an absolute WTF!  played another one of the big boys.  Think I was 3-0 up first half then the usual second half stopped what we were doing and other team wakes up scenario occurred and in the last minute they made it 3-2.  I paused the game just after they scored and made defensive changes just to try and hold on.  Restarted the game and they kicked off immediately.  I could only watch in horror at the little message in the corner saying "changes will take place in next break in play" as they ran through my defence which stood like statues and scored again without any of my players moving.  Then "confirm tactical changes?"  appeared.  Wish I had a widget that replied "Don't bother!!"

I already posted it somewhere but once I accidentally subbed my CB as left winger. I was down 1 goal. He scored two screamers with his head obviously, his heading was better than anyone else's on the pitch... what a coincidence

Had a beaut last night, in my favour, had a corner, the ball gets headed clear to my DM who hits a weak shot against the inside of the post, the 'keeper just stands there, the ball taps his legs & rolls along the line. He still just stands there looking gormless & no one in the box reacts, so my striker comes along & taps it in 

I’ve had a few over the years but the two that come to mind are:

FM12 I had my greatest ever save. Sheff Utd, 10 Premiership titles in row with an average age under 21. Anyway, in the middle of my domination we played at home against Norwich. 4-0 up and cruising when Norwich swing a cross in. My keeper claims it comfortably. I’m thinking let’s counter attack. Keeper has other ideas and starts walking backwards... into the goal! 4-1. 

Just yesterday on my current save in Argentina, I was involved in a right topsy turvy game. I took the lead, they took the lead kind of game. I’m 3-1 down I the 88th minute. I’ve gone all out attack and we make it 3-2. 5 minutes added on and we equalise in the 95th minute! Crazy! I switch to ultra defensive shut up shop thinking there’s no time left anyway. Wrong! They kick off and score 4-3 in the 96th minute. I was fuming! 

Was browsing through some old Picture Folders and found some (random) stuff.

Tackling the Dream (Team). That's a lot of yellow.

M36Napr.jpg

The day the dutch just wouldn'T give up. Fired up, confident and determined even at 1-4 down, and well overy injury time. 

dSjwegQ.png

Trying to talk him out of it. Area of his game, eh? :D 

i80BmRO.jpg

The good ol' days when you considered a barely 100 Million Price tag for Neymar to be far too much. Wot happened?

6P8kfkB.jpg

Coming back from a 0-1 with the mighty Luxembourg. One of the first, perhaps the first ever time I had FM'd lowblock'd FM's AI way back then. (Useful exercise which obviously too few ever have considering the Steam Reviews even nowadays), btw.

9MIKpSR.png

The Moment I decided to Play Tikinaccio from the kick-off (and ticket Sales took a nose dive).

23l22X4.jpg

15 hours ago, SergeiG said:

Managing MAN UTD playing against Liverpool.

Leading 3-0 for like 80 minutes. Loosing 3-4 at the end.

Should have been sacked for this.

Same thing happened to me, managing Newcastle up 3-0  over West Ham at about 78 minutes, lost 3-4

Conceded twice in injury time

Edited by oblongata21

• 3 weeks later...

On a much older version I was managing Leigh RMI and we had a home game against Chester, who at the time were my bogey team.
We were 0-3 down after 11 minutes.
We won 8-3.

More recently, in my current Bishop's Stortford save, I beat Dunstable Town 7-6 in the first season in the Southern League Premier Division. The following season we lost the same fixture 1-3 which kept them up and stopped us winning the title. To top it off, my 49 goal striker got injured and missed the playoff semi final and wasn't fully fit for the final.

Played a cup match that ended 0-0 i don't know how the amout of chances both teams had 

Went to a penalty Shootout - Final score 22-23..last few penalties i was begging for someone to miss so i could end the game

On 09/09/2019 at 20:19, theonets said:

I was 5-1 up in the 82nd minute and went to get some water.

I returned to find that we'd lost the cup final on penalties.

How tho? When the game ends you have the team talk and then have to press continue to extra time

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the 6th league in England.

My team is  deemed to struggle and fight against relegation but we  are actually number 8. Great achievement but could be better with a more consistent defense. The defense is the problem, especially the 2 young cds who have a tendency to make grieve individual mistakes.

Home match against one of the big teams of that legaue. I am the underdog. However,  my team achieved a 2:0 lead in the mid of the second half. Shortly after the 2:0 I got the 2:1. Ok ... even a draw would be a great result. "Boys, no problem... keep fighting against the onslaught!."

82th minute: Long range shot of the opponent, My central CD of the 3 CD chain (an old experienced battle - hog i. e. "Kampfschwein")  in my 532 set up is hit and the ball scatters into the goal. 2:2 ... as mentioned above ... even a draw would be fine. "Boys .. all is well ... Keep fighting!"

91st minute: Low Cross into my box, my battle-hog stops the ball with a leg ...  not exactly .... he tries to stop the ball ...  and I will never see a better placed poacher attempt than that. 2:3

Final whistle ....

From 2:1 to 2:3 within 8 minutes by two own goals of my best CD

Edited by Zardoz

I used Instant Result in the 2023 Europa League Semis with APOEL against OM because I thought we had no chance. This was the outcome, 6-0 up on aggregate after 26 minutes then they scored six goals, but we had the lead on away goals. But we lost to an injury time own goal!:mad:

20190416214605_1.jpg

This is a no contest

The Peruvian League is decided over a two legged final, and thanks to my first leg win I'm cruising to victory as Alianza just can't get the ball off me in the second leg. Bit weird that I've played both games at home, but still.

The we get the animation at the end of the match and the players jumping up and down....

...and I realise they're in the other side's colours, and the game has somehow contrived to screw up and award my first leg victory to the opposition, giving them the aggregate victory. Worst bug ever!

I'm seeing plenty of WTF moments when leading in FM19.  Ahead and cruising many a time and the opposition hasn't had a sniff.  So when all else fails for the AI FM's gods smile on them with either a penalty, free kick or other set piece gifting them a goal.  Failing that my keeper will either fall over, kick it against an opponent or turn his back on a back pass from the half way line!  If that doesn't work for them a cheeky sending off always helps despite their number 8 hacking my players to bits for 90 minutes without even a warning and if that doesn't happen a 35 yard screamer into the top corner is always a worthy out of the blue equalizer.  But the pièce de résistance I just saw in an away game against Everton when they hadn't had a shot on goal was a 94th minute long kick by their keeper where my defender could have either left it to go to my keeper, chested it down and passed short or put it into Row Z - but no - he just heads it straight to their striker who then runs through my defence who suddenly forget it's ok to tackle and shoots past my keeper who seems to be picking his water bottle up from the back of the net.  If Carling did equalizing goals and late winners in FM!!!!

DzOrKwEX4AEh4x2.jpg.f45691d93e846c03d4bb08ba53d7542f.jpg

After 30+ league games plus 6-8 more in play offs we lost promotion from Spanish 3rd division to 2nd one in play off final second game from this own goal in 95th minute.P.S 1 Referee shown 3 miniutes extra time and they scored in 94:20... P.S 2 I didn't broke ANYTHING in my house,i just keep watching my lap top screen for some minutes-hours P.S 3 We won promotion next year...Did you say anything???:lol::lol::D

Edited by Sheriff7

I forget if it was FM17 or FM18.

I had spent many years moulding Shrewsbury Town into a footballing power-house.

There came a period of around 4/5 years in which I’d always get Ajax in the KO rounds of the CL. And, I’m not ashamed to admit it, we were always on the losing end.

Another season rolls around and before I know it, I’m against Ajax in the Q/F on the CL.

I draw the home leg 0-0 and with that result, my confidence is knocked. The away leg arrives and around 70 minutes in, I’m 3-0 down. I sigh, in defeat, and just beg for the referee to end the game.

Fast forward to full-time and it’s 3-4 to me. I don’t know how it happened, but I was simultaneously lost for words yet asking every question known to man looking for answers. 

Mali.thumb.JPG.0fe87b644da51b1c0883b6e50399a262.JPG

First African nation to win a World Cup! You'd probably expect Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon or any of the stronger nations in Africa to win a first World Cup for Africa.... but Mali... and in 2022??

171492579_Maliknockout.thumb.JPG.6e5e0533558ba09f92c937ddcf9cb72a.JPG

Edited by fmonit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Winning promotion to the Premier League on the last day of the season the year immediately following my promotion to the Championship. I was poor and didn't really do a whole lot to improve the team and were predicted and prepared to come in last. I effectually ended up with a League One team in the Premier League. 

Had a foul happen to one of my players in the penalty area the other day and the ref consulted VAR on whether it was in or outside the box. I was like u wot, that was nowhere near the line. I rewinded and checked again just to make sure and yep, absolutely nowhere near outside the box, at least 3 metres clear. Just one of those cases where the graphical representation of what's going on in the ME isn't in sync at all I guess.

Ball cleared away by opposite CB to the space occupied by my LB eith an opposite winger 5 meters or more away. My LB fails the header and the opposite winger gets the ball. Advances towards the byline and makes a cross, you think that should be easy to clear with 2 CBs vs 1 ST, but no. One of my CB misses the header and ball falls to the ST who easily scores... Thanks to both headers missed one by my LB one by my CB I lose the game. Well done guys. Show off that CON attribute!