Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

Newcastle here, haven not actually bid nothing for Tom Cleverley. They've actually proposed a swap deal (player for player). Its incredible how little effort has gone into the News section. Not only is it just one line but it also gives incorrect information. Honestly, this is a pathetic effort and is just plain lazy on SI's behalf. Also, genuine question, how do i even find out who the player is that they've offered?

20181107170544_1.jpg

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RobertPage said:

Newcastle here, haven not actually bid nothing for Tom Cleverley. They've actually proposed a swap deal (player for player). Its incredible how little effort has gone into the News section. Not only is it just one line but it also gives incorrect information. Honestly, this is a pathetic effort and is just plain lazy on SI's behalf. Also, genuine question, how do i even find out who the player is that they've offered?

20181107170544_1.jpg

Such a snarkey post for a minor complaint. Why would Crystal Palace have any idea of what player Newcastle have offered Watford in an exchange deal?

Just now, dannyfc said:

Such a snarkey post for a minor complaint. Why would Crystal Palace have any idea of what player Newcastle have offered Watford in an exchange deal?

Its supposed to be a news article. I don't expect a full perfectly written article, but a single line which gives incorrect information is nothing short of pathetic imo. I mean come on, look at the screen. Its one line (which again, feeds incorrect information) and then there's just nothing at all filling the rest of the screen :seagull:

Just a small well written comment about the offer being a player for player swap deal and maybe a mention that Cleverley had handed in a transfer request. I saw the headline.I was confused so i opened the article for more information. I got zero information and after checking myself through the players profile i found out the offer was a swap deal and not just a £0 bid

40 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

Its supposed to be a news article. I don't expect a full perfectly written article, but a single line which gives incorrect information is nothing short of pathetic imo. I mean come on, look at the screen. Its one line (which again, feeds incorrect information) and then there's just nothing at all filling the rest of the screen :seagull:

Just a small well written comment about the offer being a player for player swap deal and maybe a mention that Cleverley had handed in a transfer request. I saw the headline.I was confused so i opened the article for more information. I got zero information and after checking myself through the players profile i found out the offer was a swap deal and not just a £0 bid

They should fill the blank space with ads. 

But I agree with you. When Man U bought Alexis, every news website reported the swap with Mkhitaryan.

The little things help with immersion. It's a simulator at the end of the day.

Edited by Vali184

Where is In game editor? I cant find it and bought it today morning. It says in downloads that it is unlocked.

Okay i think i founded it. too small pencil picture which i did not see :)

Edited by jlammi

We need possession-style AML/AMR/CAM roles

Such as Defensive Winger for ML/MR or BWM for CM

A role where the player plays less risky passes, holds the ball, doesn't run forward, shoots less, dribbles less

I want to play a 4-1-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 using control possession, but the tactic is flawed because of limited possession-style AML/AMR/CAM Roles

Edited by kingking

18 minutes ago, kingking said:

A role where the player plays less risky passes, holds the ball, doesn't run forward, shoots less, dribbles less

I want to play a 4-1-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 using control possession, but the tactic is flawed because of limited possession-style AML/AMR/CAM Roles

The reality here is that you're just looking for things that aren't there, then kicking up a fuss about it, rather than any actual desire to utilise this combination of roles and positions. 

For example, why would you want a defensive winger in the AML/AMR slot? It's an wide, attacking position, it makes absolutely no sense to have that as a thing. I'd bet my last pound if such a thing actually existed, you'd never use it. And wanting a BWM role for an attacking midfielder is utterly bonkers.  

If you can't properly make a possession based 4-2-3-1 tactic using the tools you have, then you're simply doing it wrong. 

No offence. 

21 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The reality here is that you're just looking for things that aren't there, then kicking up a fuss about it, rather than any actual desire to utilise this combination of roles and positions. 

For example, why would you want a defensive winger in the AML/AMR slot? It's an wide, attacking position, it makes absolutely no sense to have that as a thing. I'd bet my last pound if such a thing actually existed, you'd never use it. And wanting a BWM role for an attacking midfielder is utterly bonkers.  

If you can't properly make a possession based 4-2-3-1 tactic using the tools you have, then you're simply doing it wrong. 

No offence. 

Its ok now, i just solved it, i just tweaked my tactic

i found a possession-based role for my AML/AMR/CAMs

However Player Roles can be improved where the manager can have more freedom such as add "move into channels" to more different positions

Edited by kingking

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

No offence. 

If that's true than I would love to see you make a possession based tactic with a low tempo that plays through the middle using a 4-3-3 formation. I would love to see how you can not make your front 3 completely static in the box and create ccc's and hc's without using more direct passing.  If you think it's so easy why not show us one, because until you do I'm going to say it's not possible in the current match engine. Everyone who likes to blame everything on other people's tactics convieniently never provide a tactic themselves. So if there aren't glaring issues with the ME then go ahead and show us one?

11 hours ago, RocheBag said:

I've raised this as a bug in the league specific section, but other people already had and it's been ignored. Iceland is broken and basically unplayable.

I know Iceland isn't on the top of the priority list, but it's my go to long term save on every version and this is the first year it's been like this.

U19 teams are now shared which is more realistic as this is how it works in real life. However instead of being another squad in the club, it's another club all together with an affiliation. In theory this is fine but it doesn't work in game for several reasons:

- You have no control over your youth players training as they are technically on loan and not at the club

- Because it's a loan, players can reject the loan. There is no way a youth player should ever be able to reject being sent to the u19 team.

- The board often terminates the affiliation leaving you with no youth team at all.

These issues make playing in Iceland incredibly difficult and will result in me having to try to get a refund as my annual Fjarøabyggø save is largely the only reason I play the game.

Really hoping this gets looked at but it's been stated in the Iceland specific thread in the bugs forum several times already with no response.

Cheers.

Would love to get some feedback on this. The person who made the Iceland league specific issues thread was notified of this over two weeks ago and hasn't posted in the thread since. It would be nice to know people are at least aware of it.

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

For example, why would you want a defensive winger in the AML/AMR slot? It's an wide, attacking position, it makes absolutely no sense to have that as a thing. I'd bet my last pound if such a thing actually existed, you'd never use it.

Didn't we use to have a 'Defensive forward' role for the most advanced position? And that too with the 'Defend' duty? Don't we have a 'Pressing forward' which is basically just a defensive forward renamed? And don't we now have a libero with attack duty? I don't see any reason not to have a defensive role for AMR/AML positions. Many people have requested it already. 

7 hours ago, kingking said:

First I think you need to understand that the AMR/L positions are considered wide forwards positions, especially since SI eliminated the option to put players in the STL and STR slots.

Second I agree that we need one more generalist role in those positions like we have for AMC or like we have for CM and DM positions. Then you can tweak the role as you wish, much like you can with the Attacking Midfielder, or Central Midfielder or Defensive Midfielder. The new role can be called "Wide Attacking Midfielder".

Just wonder why Serie A team never buy famous players even with a very good financial situation. I start with Milan, 4 seasons already, Serie A became extremely boring since other teams never buy famous players even I edited their finance. Juve sale Dybala, Rugani, Costa, Sandro, Inter sale Icardi, Nainggolan, Skriniar, Perisic and they buy nobody even with billion dollars in the pocket. They only keep loan players and this is so ridiculous and makes the Serie A more and more boring.

2 hours ago, dajiakedajiake said:

Just wonder why Serie A team never buy famous players even with a very good financial situation. I start with Milan, the seasons already, Serie A became extremely boring since other teams never buy famous players even I edited their finance. Juve sale Dybala, Rugani, Costa, Sandro, Inter sale Icardi, Nainggolan, Skriniar, Perisic and they buy nobody even with billion dollars in the pocket. They only keep loan players and this is so ridiculous and makes the Serie A more and more boring.

This is another save game. Juv just sell De Scigilio to Aston Villa, now Juv only has 20 players for the first squad, and you can see Spinazzola, Sturaro and Rogerio were sent to other teams for the loan, which means Juventus now only have 17 players in the first squad???!!!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? The AI transfer logic is so stupid.

887914372_QQ20181108210819.thumb.png.5e2ee78c0a2d57aa47e519f40c11eae9.png

@dajiakedajiake bad etiquette to reveal CA/PA...

In isolation the deals do look sensible (i did a season with Juve and also sold Costs for 70m,Higuain isnt optional... 65m for Cancelo would certainly tempt me).

But certainly the wider context is a alarming... Lack of signings. I think the first team still looks strong... Give it another transfer window or two... See if they spend the money at all... Then raise a detailed report in bugs thread

7 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

@dajiakedajiake bad etiquette to reveal CA/PA...

In isolation the deals do look sensible (i did a season with Juve and also sold Costs for 70m,Higuain isnt optional... 65m for Cancelo would certainly tempt me).

But certainly the wider context is a alarming... Lack of signings. I think the first team still looks strong... Give it another transfer window or two... See if they spend the money at all... Then raise a detailed report in bugs thread

Its old problem. Every good club should buy much more players then they do. We cant have long term save if this isnt fixed.

Edited by Matej

8 minutes ago, Matej said:

Its old problem. Every good club should buy much more players then they do. We cant have long term save if this isnt fixed.

In my situation, those good clubs in other division are really doing the trades.  Man Utd, City, PSG, R.Madrid, Barca they did some big deal.

But if you check the Serie A record, you can find that none of a team even purchased a player higher than 10M

1290575178_QQ20181108215912.thumb.png.5e5538b939769cf3c93b0693e5b6d189.png200889352_QQ20181108215943.thumb.png.0d63dbd9b5fcfd65ae5693b0e161cb29.png1110067185_QQ20181108215855.thumb.png.3ebf8fa7589c41f90c974c21ce8b99d5.png

Is there a way you can get transfers / manager moves sent directly to your inbox? I am always missing major moves etc because I tend not to check the news screen as it becomes a bit cluttered.

I miss getting notifications of jobs changes etc. 

I understand not everyone would want to, but the option to customise would be nice.

Edited by Gilberto Silva

21 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'd say start a thread over on the Tactics board with details of your team & tactic

At the minute, I'm 70 minutes into a Champs League qualifier with Celtic against Young Boys & I'm 5-0 up with 15 shots at goal with 12 on target

I'm playing on Balanced everything standard with Play down the Flanks & Counter the only instructions, I've destroyed them with pace down the wings 

I find with higher mentalities & quicker tempos it can force too many chances when I'd rather slow it down & pick my chances 

Away games are a lot tougher, I lost the 1st leg away 3-2 but ask for the help & you'll get it   

Think the problem is that the people complaining about the match engine do not want to play like that; it's not about winning, it's about how you win.

If you're playing Martin O'Neill football, then doubtless you are enjoying the ME but if you want to play patient football through the centre, you'll be frustrated.

The behaviours and tendencies of wide players in the AM strata have a) needed looking at for several versions of the game, and b) probably do need another look at the roles and quite possibly the introduction of a new one. Honestly think it's one of the weakest points of the game, it's almost arcade game like at times in it's simplicity and replication.

13 hours ago, kingking said:

There’s an Art of Possession article made by Cleon on this website, give it a go and you’ll see you can create in fact possession football with roles that have Risky passes hardcoded.

18 hours ago, RobertPage said:

20181107170544_1.jpg

This isn't pathetic and lazy, it's a bug. Could you please post this in the bugs forum and upload your save game? There's plenty of stuff it should be calling there and it isn't for some reason, so we'd like to find out why. Please try to be a little more polite in future. Thanks!

Just a small suggestion: Give us the option to go straight to Calendar when we select Training (in the same way that you can choose whether to go to Profile/Attributes when you click on a player). I spend most of my time on the Calendar screen anyway, and the default screen is currently bugged (it's saying my players are still on holiday weeks after they've returned for preseason).

7 hours ago, dajiakedajiake said:

In my situation, those good clubs in other division are really doing the trades.  Man Utd, City, PSG, R.Madrid, Barca they did some big deal.

But if you check the Serie A record, you can find that none of a team even purchased a player higher than 10M

1290575178_QQ20181108215912.thumb.png.5e5538b939769cf3c93b0693e5b6d189.png200889352_QQ20181108215943.thumb.png.0d63dbd9b5fcfd65ae5693b0e161cb29.png1110067185_QQ20181108215855.thumb.png.3ebf8fa7589c41f90c974c21ce8b99d5.png

Because historically and even presently, Serie A has no money to spend! Most of these clubs are paying off debts and very rarely do you see Serie A clubs buying loads of players. A.C Milan did because of thier new owners but thats about it. When was the last time you saw massive activity going on in Serie A. These clubs are normally promoting players from within and picking up good deals around the place or loaning players. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/serie-a/transfers/wettbewerb/IT1/saison_id/2018 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italian_football_transfers_summer_2018

That transfer window alone shows that Serie A Clubs aren\t always fully active. And to draw a full conclusion was this persistent over 3-4 transfer window? Did the AI promote any U23 player into the first team squad? 

Edited by Amarante

7 hours ago, dajiakedajiake said:

Have you got Serie A on view only or fully playable? On view only teams don't really spend a lot and end up eventually having mainly greyed out players.,

On 02/11/2018 at 17:51, Totalfootballfan said:

Here’s a short video clip which represents the state of the actual ME:

1) Halstenberg passes to his teammate Demme but there’s an opposition player(Havertz) stands on the passing trajectory and only a blind man can not see it but Halstenberg still goes for a pass, of course, Havertz easly intercepts it.

In every match, I encounter a huge amount of similar illogical passes and it looks terrible :seagull:

2) Havertz then makes a trough ball pass to his teammate Balley and an opposition defender(Mukiele) doesn’t react to the pass but he could easily intercept it.  

In every match, I encounter a huge amount of cases when defenders don’t react to through ball passes and don’t even try to intercept those passes but they easily could do that. :seagull:

I actually don't see much wrong with this. The first pass is the most contentious, however it could be that the player on the ball expected the player he was passing to to come more towards the ball. The pass from Havertz to Bailey, I see nothing unphysical or unusual about that, it looks like a good old fashioned ball in behind + pace mismatch 

17 hours ago, Sticx said:

Everyone who likes to blame everything on other people's tactics convieniently never provide a tactic themselves. So if there aren't glaring issues with the ME then go ahead and show us one?

You already know the official take by SI on the subject of lack of striker and possibly IF movement from the bugs thread I created on it. SI is grateful for the input and agrees that movement needs to be looked at.

Not everyone wants a tactic based on center play. It might just be that what is a glaring issue for you and me in the sort of tactics we ideally would like to see played out, is not even remotely an issue for others. 

And my view on that is: It's all good. And to be honest @Dagenham_Dave of course is correct when he says building a possession based tactic (that will win you matches and is defensively solid) is easy with this ME. Just not with the pleasures and wow factor you and I are looking for.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, Sticx said:

Everyone who likes to blame everything on other people's tactics convieniently never provide a tactic themselves. So if there aren't glaring issues with the ME then go ahead and show us one?

Because anyone who is good at tactics knows that tactics are highly contextual and will never fully work in a "plug and play" fashion unless they rely on exploits and/or having a fantastic squad.

What might be a "good tactic" for me depends on the players I have available, the opposition I'm facing, the league I'm in, the weather, opposition instructions, player instructions, PPMs, team talks, and on and on — and so it may not be a "good tactic" for you.

Yes, there are certain kinds of "meta" tactics that are stronger than others on balance each year (e.g. three up front), but if you approach the game as a thoughtful football manager rather than someone fumbling for the template that will win every game, you will find more success.

Edited by Double Indemnity

After 200 hours of play and 3 seasons completed, I'm probably taking a break from my AFC Wimbledon save and the game in general. I'm of the belief there are some fundamental issues with the ME and an overall lack of challenge which has robbed me of the sense of achievement when I succeed. I'll briefly explain why I think this by providing a few screenshots and video clips to support my opinion. 

Final League Table (season 3):

image.thumb.png.dc120022294e70f5cf8e5e2eccf9f235.png

I chose AFC Wimbledon for two reasons - A) The link between FM and the club, and B) They were among the favourites for relegation in the first season, so the challenge appealed to me.

As you can see from the above screenshot, champions of League 1 in the third season, with big numbers and performances all over the place. We scored 100 goals. This should immediately start alarm bells ringing considering the size and budgets of clubs I beat to the title.

My striker Lyle Taylor topped the goal scoring charts by an absolute mile (39); odd, considering I picked him up on the cheap from Charlton (who had transfer listed him)

The top 3 rated players in the league are all AFC Wimbledon players; Lyle Taylor and both my wingers (guess how I scored all my goals?)

My right winger Jon Taylor topped the assist charts with 22; on loan, listed by a team in the same division as me (Rotherham).

The Tactic:

image.thumb.png.5415b7731b16ef568f905797f5966d1e.png

I arrived at this basic set-up as I found the default 'wing play' system way too extreme. I dialed down width, tempo and passing directness. I then made a few changes to roles and duties to suit my players. Finally I added 'play out of defence' as we were constantly losing the ball from long goal kicks.

It is important to note that I made virtually no changes to this tactic over the course of the season; regardless of opponent, scout reports or whether I was home or away. In fact, I am staggered at how little effort was required to overwhelm the competition. Change of subject a little, but when someone on the forum starts bleating 'I built my own tactic' they are not really deserving of a cookie, because all that is needed is half a dozen common sense clicks and you're there.

Goals:

image.thumb.png.ed6f752b9bbff6738363132cf5032b39.png

The first thing to clear up what is being classed as 'Through balls' are in fact hoofed balls over top. The majority of these assists should be classified as 'long balls'. Then and only then would this screen mirror my experience of the season.

There are three key ways my team scored 90% of my 100 league goals:

1) A header or tap in from a cross due to a flank overload

2) A 50 yard hoofed ball over the top when the AI pushes way too far up when chasing the game

3) From a corner (usually a back post nod down to a player attacking from deep) *important point to make is this happens both for and against - I mean look how many I've conceded from corners..

Let's talk about the first major problem of the ME: a lack of central off the ball movement from strikers once they push up onto the centre backs. Because they offer no passing option, this is precisely the reason why play goes endlessly from side-to-side until I achieve a flank overload. The AI offers absolutely nothing to counter danger on the flanks; always leaving my winger Jon Taylor unmarked and in loads of space to cross (this is why he got so many assists). They also never protect their right back, who is obviously at risk considering I overload / overlap left and my play-maker is on that side.

Overachieving players: 

image.thumb.png.463af511079deb63ad8783dd0aa50c71.png

I could post any number of players, but this one is a prime example. I plucked him out of my youth team during a spell of injuries and he tore the league to pieces. How can someone with such low finishing, composure and off the ball score and create so much?

image.thumb.png.020166ffcf569b81b0ca92911dde4acd.png

This is my AP, Jack Payne. According to the ME he can pass the ball any distance to any player with ease, and creates a ridiculous amount of chances each game. I honestly can't tell the difference between him and Kevin De Bruyne. That is another problem with the ME; it shows you the best that football can be at too low a level. It doesn't leave itself with anywhere to go. Do you remember gasping at the goal Dele Alli scored against Chelsea last season when he instantly controlled that long ball dropping over his shoulder? Well my striker Lyle Taylor exhibits that kind of first touch 6 times per match; it's all very sad.

I'll post some videos exemplifying the above when they are on YouTube.

I think I finally understand why the ME is so awful this year and leads to such incredibly boring matches. Allow me to illustrate -

FF0187DB13C61AC3CB246C561D5E0D60810595C5

Look at this situation. What do you think happened next?

Look at the absolutely filthy amount of space on the left. For now I will ignore the question of whether it's reasonable for there to be so much space there at this level, and the fact that teams in FM19 defend by congesting the 6 yard box with 6-7 defenders right on top of each other and leave the wide areas extremely open, and whether that's right or makes any sense.

Each of the three players in the box (the striker, the AMC, and the BBM) can run into that space to at least receive the ball. The absolutely obvious and clear cut option, though, is for No.10 - Mane, the inside forward - to actually make a run there which basically puts him in a 1v1 with the GK.

These are all options for what you'd expect to happen in... I don't know, Sunday League football. So what actually happens next? Well, here's the picture from a couple of seconds later -

AF6FEFA74BFC6C53D19EF1D4087248DFB87B6564

All 4 players who could have made some movement into the space to receive the ball stood absolutely still, and Moreno ran into the space himself to attempt to cross the ball and of course lost it. Notice especially that Mane has not moved a literal inch. An inside forward.

There is no movement in FM19. None. It's December in my first season and I think, after countless tweaks to my tactics which all failed to have an effect, I finally understand why my attacking players have all been so poor, why all my goals come from either set pieces or floated crosses. It is, categorically, like it or not, not my tactics.

I know I'm really salty about this. I try not to be. But it gets very irritating to hear, with so many people complaining about this, that it's just the fault of our tactics and the ME is in fact the best it's ever been, it's just us and it's our fault that we don't have yet our PhD in Football Manager tactics. It's my belief that there are people who are so deeply invested in the idea of them being tactical gurus that they refuse to see or admit any issues with the ME.

Edited by bar333

I wonder why SI assumes AML/CAM/AMR defends like a striker,

however in modern football AML/CAM/CMR defend like a ML/MC/MR in order to create a 5 man midfield when defending.

The AML/CAM/AMR are only "midfielders" who are positioned higher when attacking, it does not remove or reduce there defending responsibilities 

FM is suppose to have a modern view of football, since its a simulation

The A.I suffers from SI old fashion view of AML/CAM/AMR when employing 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1

Any thoughts from anyone.. i must be wrong, crazy or something?

This ME is not a strong reflection of modern football today

Edited by kingking

To be honest I haven't done extensive testing of the ME but I feel people keep comparing the ME to real life and yes that is what you're supposed to do however the ME is only a canvas to which you are supposed to paint your footballing tactics onto. For example I've seen people say that at times there's 4 men running after 1 ball leaving stupid amounts of space - well, if you put your whole team on urgent press, close down always, press high up the pitch, then these are the types of things that will happen. In real life maybe a player would say "gaffer, that's stupid, why would I close him down when there's already 3 men closing him down," same way when somebody plays a true 4-2-4 formation in real life a player would probably say "gaffer this is ridiculous there's not enough men in midfield" but as computer game players we would still be annoyed if our FR/FL decided he was gonna play MR/ML. SI have to find a balance between unconstrained user input and realism.

25 minutes ago, bar333 said:

I think I finally understand why the ME is so awful this year and leads to such incredibly boring matches. Allow me to illustrate -

Look at this situation. What do you think happened next?

Look at the absolutely filthy amount of space on the left. Each of the three players in the box (the striker, the AMC, and the BBM) can run into that space to at least receive the ball. The absolutely obvious and clear cut option, though, is for No.10 - Mane, the inside forward - to actually make a run there which basically puts him in a 1v1 with the GK.

These are all options for what you'd expect to happen in... I don't know, Sunday League football. So what actually happens next? Well, here's the picture from a couple of seconds later -

AF6FEFA74BFC6C53D19EF1D4087248DFB87B6564

All 4 players who could have made some movement into the space to receive the ball stood absolutely still, and Moreno ran into the space himself to attempt to cross the ball and of course lost it.

There is no movement in FM19. None. It's December in my first season and I think, after countless tweaks to my tactics, I finally understand why my attacking players have all been so poor. It is, categorically, like it or not, not my tactics.

I know I'm really salty about this. I try not to be. But it gets very irritating to hear, with so many people complaining about this, that it's just the fault of our tactics and the ME is in fact the best it's ever been, it's just us and it's our fault that we don't have yet our PhD in Football Manager tactics. It's my belief that there are people who are so deeply invested in the idea of them being tactical gurus that they refuse to see or admit any issues with the ME.

Not suggesting you're wrong but what are your team instructions? Is Moreno on reach byline? Cross often? Run with ball often? These things should be properly interrogated before blaming the ME. 

My experience with the ME so far has been positive.

Struggling to enjoy the game this year. I almost feel as if in this version it's 'Gegenpress' or nothing. I'm struggling to play counter or even defensive football effectively. The lack of crosses from wide players when in acres of space is frustrating as well as the obscene amount of corners in each game. The amount of 90+ goals I've conceded purely because, in my opinion, the ME favours pressing football over anything is crazy and frustrating. 

This could be read as I'm not enjoying it because I'm not winning, but in truth I win very little in each version of the game. 

7 minutes ago, Vicz said:

To be honest I haven't done extensive testing of the ME but I feel people keep comparing the ME to real life and yes that is what you're supposed to do however the ME is only a canvas to which you are supposed to paint your footballing tactics onto. For example I've seen people say that at times there's 4 men running after 1 ball leaving stupid amounts of space - well, if you put your whole team on urgent press, close down always, press high up the pitch, then these are the types of things that will happen. In real life maybe a player would say "gaffer, that's stupid, why would I close him down when there's already 3 men closing him down," same way when somebody plays a true 4-2-4 formation in real life a player would probably say "gaffer this is ridiculous there's not enough men in midfield" but as computer game players we would still be annoyed if our FR/FL decided he was gonna play MR/ML. SI have to find a balance between unconstrained user input and realism.

Not suggesting you're wrong but what are your team instructions? Is Moreno on reach byline? Cross often? Run with ball often? These things should be properly interrogated before blaming the ME. 

My experience with the ME so far has been positive.

Moreno is FB-S with just a 'Shoot Less Often' PI and no dribbling or crossing related PPM's.

There's really nothing to be investigated, to be honest. It could have been the most dribble loving, cross happy, gung ho left back in the history of football, it doesn't matter because it's not his "fault", the issue was that no one made any movement into that space so his only option was to run there with the ball.

The fact that he actually ended up losing it actually brings us to a whole different issue which has already been raised in the Bugs forum and SI said they're aware of it, I mean look at the space and think how long it'd take one of the defenders to close Moreno down, but wide players dwell on the ball like crazy and wait to get tackled instead of crossing most times. 

@The Wet Jigsaw! I'm winning and doing really well, in fact I'd say the game is easier than past games, but it's still possibly the least enjoyable FM ever for me. The match engine only being able to create one style of attacking football, and a very dry one at that, gets very old very fast. So I can confirm it's not about winning vs losing.

Edited by bar333

1 minute ago, bar333 said:

Moreno is FB-S with just a 'Shoot Less Often' PI and no dribbling or crossing related PPM's.

There's really nothing to be investigated, to be honest. It could have been the most dribble loving, cross happy, gung ho left back in the history of football, it doesn't matter because it's not his "fault", the issue was that no one made any movement into that space so his only option was to run there with the ball. The fact that he actually ended up losing it actually brings us to a whole different issue which has already been raised in the Bugs forum and SI said they're aware of it, I mean look at the space and think how long it'd take one of the defenders to close Moreno down, but wide players dwell on the ball like crazy and wait to get tackled instead of crossing most times.

To be honest from the first picture it looks like he could have just passed. To me it looks like an error from the man in possession than anything else. Hard to tell without video.

Well he was on the ball for a good while and obviously wasn't under any pressure, Mane never made any movement. What good is it passing it to Mane where he is? What you'd expect to see is Mane making the run. Had he moved his ass and not received the pass I'd have blamed Moreno.

Edited by bar333

2 minutes ago, bar333 said:

Well he was on the ball for a good while and obviously wasn't under any pressure, Mane never made any movement. What good is it passing it to Mane where he is? What you'd expect to see is Mane making the run. Had he moved his ass and not received the pass I'd have blamed Moreno.

Oh is Mane #10? Sorry yeah that's ridiculous, however what's your attacking width set at? is he IF or W? Has he been told to support or attack? Has he been told to sit narrow or sit wide?

I'm not asking these questions because I think you're wrong I just think they're necessary for proper critique. 

Is it just me , or are there waaaayyyy too many Hattricks happening ? Sometimes even 4 Goals from the same Player in 1 Game . I'm talking about all Matches, not only mine . 

Edited by haffaz77

51 minutes ago, Double Indemnity said:

Because anyone who is good at tactics knows that tactics are highly contextual and will never fully work in a "plug and play" fashion unless they rely on exploits and/or having a fantastic squad.

What might be a "good tactic" for me depends on the players I have available, the opposition I'm facing, the league I'm in, the weather, opposition instructions, player instructions, PPMs, team talks, and on and on — and so it may not be a "good tactic" for you.

Yes, there are certain kinds of "meta" tactics that are stronger than others on balance each year (e.g. three up front), but if you approach the game as a thoughtful football manager rather than someone fumbling for the template that will win every game, you will find more success.

Who said I am looking for a tactic that will win every game? All I asked for was for the user above me to show a tactic based on possession play that can routinely provide ccc's and hc's, that doesn't involve more direct passing or set pieces, since he said if you are having problems with that it is not a bad ME, but your problem with tactics. So far Ive seen no one able to show a tactic that can do that. And looking at the tactics sharing forum, no one has done that. There may be certain kinds of meta, but in the history of FM there has been one playing style consistently very powerful (more direct passing), and one style consistently underperforming (short passing). I don't think its out of the question for those who love to jump at blaming it on your tactics to then provide a tactic that counters that point. If you disagree, then by all means prove me wrong.

46 minutes ago, bar333 said:

maybe because the pitch is too small? looks like 5 vs 5 pitch to me?!   :D

i play on 2D so this is shock to me..

5 minutes ago, bar333 said:

@Vicz Width is at Standard. He's IF-S. No PI's. Funny thing is he even has the 'Gets into Opposition Area' PPM which is supposed to be the most extreme PPM for forward runs.

Weird one then mate, I will keep an eye out for these type of things.

52 minutes ago, kingking said:

I wonder why SI assumes AML/CAM/AMR defends like a striker,

however in modern football AML/CAM/CMR defend like a ML/MC/MR in order to create a 5 man midfield when defending.

The AML/CAM/AMR are only "midfielders" who are positioned higher when attacking, it does not remove or reduce there defending responsibilities 

FM is suppose to have a modern view of football, since its a simulation

The A.I suffers from SI old fashion view of AML/CAM/AMR when employing 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1

Any thoughts from anyone.. i must be wrong, crazy or something?

This ME is not a strong reflection of modern football today

They can and do come back, you are just doing something wrong. 

23 minutes ago, Sticx said:

Who said I am looking for a tactic that will win every game? All I asked for was for the user above me to show a tactic based on possession play that can routinely provide ccc's and hc's, that doesn't involve more direct passing or set pieces, since he said if you are having problems with that it is not a bad ME, but your problem with tactics. So far Ive seen no one able to show a tactic that can do that. And looking at the tactics sharing forum, no one has done that. There may be certain kinds of meta, but in the history of FM there has been one playing style consistently very powerful (more direct passing), and one style consistently underperforming (short passing). I don't think its out of the question for those who love to jump at blaming it on your tactics to then provide a tactic that counters that point. If you disagree, then by all means prove me wrong.

There is so much wrong here, I don't even know where to begin.

On 06/11/2018 at 18:15, craiigman said:

Just finished my friendly vs Inter. Had no problems with the strikers movement or grouping together, however because it was Inter they played a high line and my AP was just pinging balls over the top to them/we were breaking on counters. Although I did still have like 65% possession in the first half, I ended with 54% and game was 3-3. My strikers scored all the goals.

I think the issue with this grouping is when playing vs a deep line. The strikers don't seem to make second or third runs, so if you're in their half for a little while, they run to the middle and stand idle and hope someone pings a ball into them/space just happens to appear.

I don't think it's a tactical thing either, yes I can drop my line and line of engagement to create space, but that just means counter attacks/over the top are going to be more frequent (in theory) and doesn't solve the problem of lack of movement.

This game vs Inter I had loads of space to exploit, but vs CSKA Sofia the game before, my strikers done nothing, as they defended deep. But in real life if a team defends deep you see the strikers come deep to get the ball (Harry Kane example) or move into wide areas (Salah to a degree, Jesus at City when he plays lone striker). Don't see those kind of movements in game, when the other team is defending deeper.

Sorry to bring this up again, but it's just not fun to watch honestly. Like I said in this post, I played a game vs Inter and had no problems with my strikers holding hands, but they played a high line so my strikers movement in the middle to final 3rd worked and no issues.

I'm playing again vs a side with a deep line, 532 setup, and my setup:

sEqBL0C.png

Both strikers have "stay wider" and "run wide with ball". This is what I am seeing:

Half time I decided to make this post, and right away - look out for 9 and 10:

Kp4Zhi6.png

7uTnJWG.png

eB9fvWD.png

BPXTv5T.png

Better starting positions:

zZtj6x7.png

But then

s16i3SR.png

I scored from this one, but look how close they are

tD5xZkL.png

O2BoxKj.png

I don't even know on this one

V0ll87I.png

HhIoIrJ.png

Like I say, it doesn't seem to be a tactic issue, as if it was surely would see this against all teams, not just deep defending teams. I don't know if it's because there is an AMC and two strikers or because I have full backs, or a mezzala. But I've not found a way to stop this from happening, but it's only vs teams where I am the dominant team. If they defend well and I just can't break them down, fine fair enough. But my strikers shouldn't be holding hands like this.