Average Gamer Age

41. Long break from FM until 2012 then another until 17. Then I tried '18 and '19 but invest in few time. Immersion become most important factor for me and be more selective in games. But still sometimes I buy the games I don't play. ;)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 33, been playing since a roommate introduced me to CM4 in second year university (probably for the best I didn't find it earlier).

Despite the thread results I think the young'uns do still play, maybe more likely to be on the "football manager games" subreddit or some other newfangled technology though

I'm 39, and I've been playing CM/FM since I stumbled across a copy of CM4 at a secondhand game shop in Malaysia. 

I've pretty much only ever played football management games, starting with Football Director, Multi Player Soccer Manager and The Double back in the mid eighties. 

I pretty much expected to be one of the youngest guys around here. Seems like I'm THE youngest so far in this thread...

Turning 19 in a little over a month. Playing since FM15 (I have tried FM12 but 12 year old me was really confused :D)

Le 06/12/2018 à 22:19, Greyfriars Bobby a dit :

45, in the USA.  I discovered Football Manager in 2013 (FM 12).  

I am a teacher, and some of my students, who are usually 16 or 17, play FM.  

My 14-year-old son plays FM, and his 11-year-old sister is intrigued by it too. 

I think the results we're seeing here reflect the fact that those of us who play FM and post on an internet forum about it are usually in our 30s or older.

I turn 50 on the 23rd Dec this year, as has happened for the previous 9 birthdays, the first gift  I open will be from my kids, it will be a small, slim box with that magic disc within. Whatever has been planned for the day will include a couple of hours for me to install, set up and get to the first day of a new save,

4 hours ago, KOUKIPILO said:

I turn 50 on the 23rd Dec this year, as has happened for the previous 9 birthdays, the first gift  I open will be from my kids, it will be a small, slim box with that magic disc within. Whatever has been planned for the day will include a couple of hours for me to install, set up and get to the first day of a new save,

Isn't it interesting that your response is absolutely identical to one on the first page;)

On 07/12/2018 at 08:41, Bobbins71 said:

since there are a lot of oldies on here (me too, 47) may I ask about the newgen son in the game.  (Hope Im not hijacking your thread).

I very often get a regen son in my career saves.  The general view seems to be that this is rare, but I just assumed it was because the age profile of the players made it so that it was impossible.  Most players were under 30, I assumed, hence getting a 16 yo son in the game was virtually impossible.  If you are 35+ then you have an increased chance.  Looking at responses here maybe the age profile is actually much higher.

Ive had 6 sons now across about 10 different careers in the last few versions.  Am I just lucky?

maybe it works the way it does on fmt - you have to stay at a club for 10+ seasons?

I'm 32, I've bought an played every game since CM3.

I tend to get into saves less easily these days though. I had a belter of a long term save with Salford City on FM2018 but I'm really struggling to get into FM2019.

Might just go back to FM2018 and my Salford empire.

On 07/12/2018 at 16:33, Armistice said:

I don’t know why I had the feeling that most people here were in their late 20s.

I’m 23, almost 24.

On 08/12/2018 at 03:27, Amarante said:

Same. 23, 24 in March. I feel like we should be in the kiddies section. Damn!  Here i thought am getting old. 

Snap. 24 next month. This thread has made me feel very young, I presumed the majority would be late 20s/early-mid 30s.

Good to see FM has a wide age range!

Threads like this one appear once or twice a year and seem to encourage the more "experienced" users to post, hence the appearance that the user base is older than expected.

By the way, everyone in here is but a child in my eyes.  My kids are older than most of you so far.:lol:

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Threads like this one appear once or twice a year and seem to encourage the more "experienced" users to post, hence the appearance that the user base is older than expected.

By the way, everyone in here is but a child in my eyes.  My kids are older than most of you so far.:lol:

I'd still expect the average age to be 30+ in general for a couple of reasons... Anyone who got in at the start of the franchise is likely to be a loyal follower and would have to be 30+. And in terms of competition its one of the best games for being as inintrusive on life as possible (addictivness included) because you can start/stop while doing things... You can take it on commute etc.

Maybe I'm bias because these both apply to me... But I love games like fifa and call of duty, but haven't owned a console since I was 18. Doesn't fit my lifestyle with baby etc. But I play Fm on my commute... I take laptop with me when I'm staying away for work so I can play in hotels etc... I can get an hour in after the wife's gone to bed without being noisy... I can also play whilst I watch TV (sport in particular). Can't do any of that with the traditonally more popular games that will naturally lend themselves to the younger audience at school/University. 

It's also grown a lot more complex and time consuming than the original CM releases... Which I would imagine is a big barrier to new users (especially younger people with more active lifestyle and lower capacity for focus... Doesn't every teenager have attention disorder now? ) 

I always think FM series is not very complicated but it looks as that. interface looks way more complicated than a complex wargame. Maybe not interface but the functions presented in game not very well explained.  Otherwise not very difficult to play these games for the old and young. ;)

Complexity and difficulty aren't necessarily inter linked... Have to remember as a gateway to football management sim.. The early cms... We didnt even have to worry about roles... Just formation. There were no agent fees, in fact from memory I don't even remember looking at contracts when buying players... The transfer would basically happen the day you made a bid.. No clauses etc bid £40m for vieri... Accepted.. Confirm deal :D

You could play a season in about 3 hours... Its hard to even get to the first competitive game in that time now. 

53 from the US, I always hated soccer as a kid we had our football which I now can't stand. we had Baseball and bassketball... Soccer was never a thing and as youngsters we all thought it lame... Don't ask me why cuase I don't know. But I watched the last world cup and loved watching Harry Kane and Luka Modric and became a huge fan. I get up at 6am every saturday and sunday to watch every game I can from the USA. I start with the english premier league. Then watch Real Madrid becuase Modric is my favorite player (I know Ill get flack for this) or the Spanish games then the German and French games on Bein and FS1 all day both days lol. Have even watched Turkey and African league games.  And Mexican football is an exciting game, more younger players with drive and ambition and play all out. Anyways My favorite Baseball team has been the Boston Redsox since I was like 5. And our Redsox channel would always put the England premier league on during the week as reruns. Then I found out that the owner of the Redsox or part owner was also bought Liverpool if I am correct. So I have a tendency to pull for Liverpool but I really don't think there is a team I dislike or like more. I just love the game. Then I found FM2018 and holy crap my life has changed. I played for 3 months till 2019 came out and I knew nothing technical about the game until I started playing this ive been playing 12 hours a day since Im disabled with Muscular Dystrophy, Its nice having something to look forward to everyday again. . I firmly believe its the greatist sport in the world and I love it. I downloaded a database that has all the lower English leagues and I'm managing the Boston Poachers of all teams lol. All though this game has its problems I truly love it and wish I had found the love of this sport long ago. I guess I was just a dumb young American. Now I'm old, still dumb, but having a ball with this game... Cheers mates.

Let me add one thing. Its the thing I hate about this game or just don't understand. TRANSFERS!!! Ive never seen anything like it and Im not sure how the MSL works or care because I think the MSL doesn't even compare to the rest of the worlds soccer, I just watch it cus its soccer, we get a lot of other nation players who can't make it elswhere or get ridiculous contracts to stay. But the part I hate is when you sign a player for a year or 2 that you really depend on and he plays great and then another team higher up can come in and just basically take him from you... You might be at the top of your table going for promotion and this can really happen which is BS, This is something that needs to be addressed in the sport as far as I'm concerned. In the US Sports they trade players a lot up until the trade deadline, but never can go in and just take a player buy paying off his contract and giving him millions to come to them.. this in my humble opinion is the one thing that ruins the game all around, On a real pitch or a computer pitch. It sucks and should be addressed. Contracts should be honored for at least a season.

On 06/12/2018 at 17:29, Insert_Goal_Here said:

I feel like I am an older player at 32 years old. So what is your age? I hope that there are many more 30 something FMers. 

Put it this way... My son is older than you. 

49 from germany, Supporter from Eintracht Frankfurt, playing FM since 2014, played a lot of other Managers (most german) before. Love the game and it also helped me to improve my english, because I read a lot of stuff :)

Archived