Average Gamer Age

So, I've just bought FM19, I had a hiatus between FM12 and FM17, but have bought the last 3. Although I didn't get very far with FM18, what with work and parenting, but I intend to with this iteration.

Now I've been playing FM or CM as it used to be since the 97/98 version, managing Sheffield Wednesday. I will never forget that team. But what is the average age of those who play Football Manager? Is it even possible for SI to collect this information? I feel like I am an older player at 32 years old. So what is your age? I hope that there are many more 30 something FMers. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 37.

I love sports management sims regardless (my first I ever played was Eastside Hockey Manager) and have played them from a young age, but I have a feeling a game like this probably skews a bit on the older side.

(although I personally think gaming in general skews a bit older than a lot of people realize as those that grew up in the 80s/90s are now approaching middle aged!)

I turn 50 on the 23rd Dec this year, as has happened for the previous 9 birthdays, the first gift  I open will be from my kids, it will be a small, slim box with that magic disc within. Whatever has been planned for the day will include a couple of hours for me to install, set up and get to the first day of a new save,

Still got every box sitting on a shelf in date order.

Before that I was a bit if a 'patchy' player, from the days of CM plus others that were around at the time (Premier Manager is one that comes to mind).

I'm 53  and from the USA.  This is probably the 5th or 6th version of FM I've owned.  I had over 900 hours played on FM18 and I'm already over 100 hours on FM 19.  I typically play lower league teams and try to work my way up.  I'd say Roma is my favorite team in real life, but I like to play all over Europe in FM.

45, in the USA.  I discovered Football Manager in 2013 (FM 12).  

I am a teacher, and some of my students, who are usually 16 or 17, play FM.  

My 14-year-old son plays FM, and his 11-year-old sister is intrigued by it too. 

I think the results we're seeing here reflect the fact that those of us who play FM and post on an internet forum about it are usually in our 30s or older.

35 here. Started playing premier manager and LMA manager on the Playstation before moving onto CM on the PC. My dad used to go mental when I was on leave (joined the navy when 16) I used to hog the computer playing CM until I got my first laptop. Been addicted ever since., still have no clue on tactics tho :lol:

since there are a lot of oldies on here (me too, 47) may I ask about the newgen son in the game.  (Hope Im not hijacking your thread).

I very often get a regen son in my career saves.  The general view seems to be that this is rare, but I just assumed it was because the age profile of the players made it so that it was impossible.  Most players were under 30, I assumed, hence getting a 16 yo son in the game was virtually impossible.  If you are 35+ then you have an increased chance.  Looking at responses here maybe the age profile is actually much higher.

Ive had 6 sons now across about 10 different careers in the last few versions.  Am I just lucky?

I'm 27, I had a very basic laptop I spent playing FM08 for many years, since I was 20. Now I have a decent laptop and I've been playing FM17 for a year and a half, with only two saves, always in lower leagues, and now I'm playing FM19, trying to go all my way up from Northern Ireland 3rd Division to the top.

I am 47 and have bought every version up until this year.  The reason I haven’t purchased is because each year, I try to get into a save but the ultimately go back to Out of the Park Baseball...which is another good sports management simulator.  The big difference between the two is the fact you can carry on (import) a save from version to version over the course of years.  With FM, you must begin anew with each new version.  FM is likely the more detailed, and better designed of the two, but OOTP is good enough that the ability to carry on each year makes it worth while for me.

Anyway, as I said, I am 47 and still love sports management simulators.  I’m very tempted to purchase FM...but then I keep reminding myself of what I’ve done every year for the past 19 years!

I'm 56 ..  FM10 was my first but long time player of Football sims . Been playing since 1992 . First game was SOCCER WIZARD.. from WIZARD GAMES ..based in Scotland I think . Also had ONE-NIL 95 and another called GOAL all from the same company . You can still find these online and free to play . FA PREMIER LEAGUE 99 was also a game I had before CM01 came out . Also played FIFA MANAGER - TOTAL CLUB MANAGER alot before and during the FM series . So 26 years of football sims . Urrrrghh i feel old

10 hours ago, Armistice said:

I don’t know why I had the feeling that most people here were in their late 20s.

I’m 23, almost 24.

Same. 23, 24 in March. I feel like we should be in the kiddies section. Damn!  Here i thought am getting old. 

35.  Started mid-90s with Italia Manager, which I believe was 1995 and I was 12.  First in UK, my golden CM years at Uni (so much time :)), then had family bring the game with them to the US. Steam was great for me!

Skipped a few years around 2012, but FMT got me going again, and back to full version now.  Beyond breathing, CM/FM might be the second highest activity in my life.

Archived