*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

Regarding the controversy with dribbling, I see a simple solution that would make everyone happy.

Open the "Dribble More/Dribble Less" option in all attacking roles and enhance its effect on players' tendency to dribble:

- If you check "dribble more" that player will look for dribbling much more, almost always in 1 vs 1 situations and with space but also in not so favorable situations.

- If you mark "dribble less" that player will tend more to look for the pass even in favorable situations and 1 vs 1 and will only look for the dribble when the situation is very clear.

- If you do not check any option, he will dribble in 1v1 and advantageous situations and adopt a more balanced attitude, depending on the role, to decide when to dribble or pass.

I think it would not be difficult to do, there are already many instructions that can be checked or unchecked within each role.

I don't know if it would be possible to do it in FM23 or if we would have to wait for FM24. But I think it would be the ultimate solution to the problem and one that we would all be happy with

Edited by david_kax

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

But this is what bugs me in Football Manager I want to see my tactic on the pitch, not players making decisions because that's what a real player would probably do because his real life manager told him so...

so this is the issue. There is the real life football, SI's interpretation of that football then there is your own interpretation so it's not all that easy to marry those 3 things also because of the limitations of the AI and match engine.

As a useful tool of scout reports section there are some filtering options even not needed ones such as 'weight' but there are two very important (i.m.o) filters are missing. 'Age' and 'Days since report is created'. Early versions had them both, please put them back..... 

18 minutes ago, david_kax said:

Regarding the controversy with dribbling, I see a simple solution that would make everyone happy.

Open the "Dribble More/Dribble Less" option in all attacking roles and enhance its effect on players' tendency to dribble:

- If you check "dribble more" that player will look for dribbling much more, almost always in 1 vs 1 situations and with space but also in not so favorable situations.

- If you mark "dribble less" that player will tend more to look for the pass even in favorable situations and 1 vs 1 and will only look for the dribble when the situation is very clear.

- If you do not check any option, he will dribble in 1v1 and advantageous situations and adopt a more balanced attitude, depending on the role, to decide when to dribble or pass.

I think it would not be difficult to do, there are already many instructions that can be checked or unchecked within each role.

I don't know if it would be possible to do it in FM23 or if we would have to wait for FM24. But I think it would be the ultimate solution to the problem and one that we would all be happy with

Dont see why they would bow to the 1% ers who get on here and complain . Im happy the way the game is thanks

38 minutes ago, DarJ said:

so this is the issue. There is the real life football, SI's interpretation of that football then there is your own interpretation so it's not all that easy to marry those 3 things also because of the limitations of the AI and match engine.

The ME is perfectly capable to display more dribbling SI just needs adjust the tactics of the game and how players follow instructions.

If I say to my IF cut inside every time with the ball, don't go near the touchline he should play like that not going wide and then turning around to pass everytime because IRL there were only 2-3 such dribbles per game.

Let the AI play like SI want but let me the manager decide how my team play.

Let me invent new roles new tactics, just because the AI manager will have a hard time with this is not a valid excuse.

I can already make the AI have a hard time by using the in game editor, I can make all my players better than Messi.

During the sliders era the game was 1000 times more fun, you could instruct your players to play just like you want, now is you have a choice between a few formations and roles and that's it.

Edited by FM1000

21 minutes ago, david_kax said:

Bow? Improving the game and listening to constructive criticism from the community is not bowing down. I'm glad you're nobody at SI, because luckily they do listen to the community and that's why this forum is so active.

1%? This problem was the most reported in FM22, is it the most discussed in this thread and its thread in the Bug Tracker is the most visited. But if, based on an in-depth statistical study, you tell us that it only bothers 1%, it is surely true.

The human condition will never cease to amaze me... I propose a solution to a problem that: Allows those who like dribbling to follow exactly how it is and simply allows those of us who are not happy to be able to develop our football as well. A simple click, you mark Vinicius "dribbling less" and he plays like Iniesta to give passes, I mark "dribbling more" and he dribbles again and again. And that bothers you? Maybe you like to argue for screwing over others, because it is incomprehensible that you should be bothered by a solution that does not affect you at all and solves what is a problem for many people.

I have a human condition :lol: soz

Edited by alian62

Okay, let's leave it there, please. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and encouraged to post feedback for SI to keep an eye on.

If there are issues to report, please use the bug tracker.

To confirm what @HUNT3R has said and repeat what I posted earlier- this particular thread is for feedback from users who have the game and not for extended discussions- please by all means have these discussions but take them to another thread so that the feedback thread is left clear for newer users to leave their feedback and have it noted by the developers.

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Okay, let's leave it there, please. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and encouraged to post feedback for SI to keep an eye on.

If there are issues to report, please use the bug tracker.

My apologies. For my part, I drop the subject.

Today with my message I intended the opposite of continuing with the discussion. Simply, as several users kept talking about the subject, I proposed a solution so that each manager can decide in one click if he wants more or less dribbling... I thought that this shouldn't bother or create controversy but rather consensus. I should have imagined that a troll with free time and desire to annoy could always appear.

The bug is already reported, whether it is fixed or not, I will propose that idea in the corresponding thread as a possible FM improvement for the future.

49 minutes ago, (sic) said:

I do agree with you. We don't need to force pointless dribbles. 

The thing is, it's not about dribbles into the box. The players don't have to cut inside across the entire defence or cut inside the box and score. Even though it would be really nice to see players do that sometimes. It still happens in real life, yet I don't see it happening in game. I didn't remember encountering it in FM22, and I've yet to encounter it in FM23.

Instead, we rarely see a player cutting in inside the final third. Just coming in from wide areas with the ball, and laying it off to another player would be nice, they don't have to dribble past the entire defence. Isolating good dribblers in 1v1 situations against a fullback is also a thing, yet again, even if I set up for it, I just don't see players actually dribbling past them (or if they do, it's more of a "run wide or to the byline, then turn around" thing).
It's the constant running wide with the ball like a regular winger. It's the running wide, to the byline, and then turning around, looking for passing options. They run into these areas, often isolating themselves. I don't understand why should we even use the IW over a regular Winger, if they do very similar things. They both end up running wide with the ball.

I just don't see the point of "Cut Inside With The Ball" instruction in that case. 

Right. You pointed it out very accurately!

Edited by Choi seung won

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

I think you make a good point (in bold) about players not squaring up the defender enough, and it is something we've also felt internally. It's definitely something we want to improve in future, but it's a very difficult thing to implement. If you could start a bug report with clear examples where a player could stand up the defender face to face, that would help us a lot.

But the other point to do with dribbling PIs - I'm not convinced that being able to force your players to play in an unrealistic way is necessarily the right direction for the game. In real life there must be managers telling their players to take on their man 'more often', and yet no player has more than 2.5 dribbles into the box per game or 4 successful dribbles per 90. If you could tell a player to dribble to the extent that they dribble far more than anyone else in real world football, I don't think it really helps us recreate real football which is our ultimate goal, especially when you consider that AI managers use the 'dribble more' instructions as well.

Please do start this bug and I'll have a look. But we probably need to steer back to this being a general feedback thread, as it's become a bit of a focused discussion on dribbling.

I know it's very difficult to implement dribbling in the match engine, but it will be really good if you just modify the consistent pattern in the current match engine.

And the current full-backs' dribbling success rate is too high. You must correct that part.

Wanted to check before submitting a bug report: Am i missing an option/requirement to scout competitions like the World Cup or U21 Euros? Couldn't assign a scout to either at various times i tried from both right clicking the competition or setting a recruitment focus (area --> competition). Works for other competitions so nor quite sure what could be the issue

There is either a bug with Recruitment Focuses or I am misunderstanding how the details work.

I have the following assignment set up - Players between 15-21, based in France, at least half a silver star in current ability and at least 4 gold starts in potential ability.

image.png.483984e09c72a62772144a10886be6df.png

However, Nuno Mendes has been recommended to me, even though he doesn't match the potential ability minimum of 4 stars, as he only has 3 stars.

image.png.f1c225510bbb2afec1219d121e6d36c0.png

Is this a bug or have I misunderstood what the filters mean when setting up the Recruitment Focus?

Thanks.

Is there anything in the game as to how likely clubs are to loan out players? I started a file save as Taunton and tried to look to loan players from Bristol City, City have been notorious for wanting to loan out players for senior football experience over keeping u21's in house, Brian Tinnion (academy director and former player pathway manager) speaking on the topic. However going through pretty much every player in City's U21's and U18's the club either want the player to player at higher level/with better players or aren't willing to discuss the player going out on loan. But this also includes players who this season have gone on loan to the division below the national league south. 

I don't tend to do National League South/North saves so don't know if this is a general thing or just FM23

13 minutes ago, hodge13 said:

Is there anything in the game as to how likely clubs are to loan out players? I started a file save as Taunton and tried to look to loan players from Bristol City, City have been notorious for wanting to loan out players for senior football experience over keeping u21's in house, Brian Tinnion (academy director and former player pathway manager) speaking on the topic. However going through pretty much every player in City's U21's and U18's the club either want the player to player at higher level/with better players or aren't willing to discuss the player going out on loan. But this also includes players who this season have gone on loan to the division below the national league south. 

I don't tend to do National League South/North saves so don't know if this is a general thing or just FM23

I'm not sure if it's related to your issue, but in FM22 I have a lower league German save (using an extended database). For whatever reason, the Reserve teams of large clubs (Hamburg II, Dortmund II, Schalke II, etc) have the majority of their players set to Unavailable For Loan which I don't think is realistic. If it's the same for FM23 (will have to wait for full release for extended databases) I'll report it as a bug

1 minute ago, KamyKaze said:

Really?? Press conference before the match against the biggest rival while fighting them for the top. 2 questions??
Guess press in this game goes all to the Premier league

You're welcome to mine from the Swiss League - I'm getting stupidly long press conferences for every game.  Be careful what you wish for :)

International management...deary me. The year of a World Cup commencing nigh on the same time frame as the game releases and its seems no time was put into it.

Same old, same old generally but worst of all can someone explain to me how the "request to switch nation" feature actually works, in terms of what factors get taken into account to reach a decision. I've legitimately seen 23-32 year old English players playing in the 6th tier of England reject a national call-up to Nigeria... right before going to the 2025 CAF and won it! Solanke (who's heavily linked to switching to Nigeria) declined, so I thought "Can I call anyone up to switch?" Went to the English 6th tier and...nope. Not a single player. All because they're "impressed by their general reputation within the game".

Is this done to protect player license so players don't become dissatisfied with how they are portrayed? As I spoke with people who say that newgens are more likely to switch than RL players, if so it would be good if this was alluded too much like we know about the Germany & Japan licence issues.

Still no training sessions so players don't improve while they're with the NT, there's no rest and recovery so players are always gassed during international tournaments (unless you rotate heavily which isn't very realistic), the tactical familiarity is always very low because the players somehow don't know how to play the same system they play in their clubs for the NT.

Not trying to come across overly negative, the game is still very good this year, match engine seems great. 

Edited by Hoarau

28 minutes ago, diLLa88 said:

Think beating Real Madrid away is enough to keep the supporters happy?

3df662c5f2987aefed6a0f3d204784c1.png

Lol nope. Guess I need to roll them to truly make them happy. The snobs are just pleased.

Thats completely stupid :lol: as if Almeria fans wouldnt be happy beating Real

Having a few players who when I transfer list with a year left to go on their contract then come to me just wanting to let me know they're going to explore their options at the end of the contract. 80% of my options are to convince them to stay and neither of the other two options are anything like "I've literally just transfer listed you" 

Been an issue for a few iterations now but there seems to be a lot of clubs/managers who have their 'preferred formation/defensive/offensive/2nd preferred formation' defaulting to 5-3-2 if the research team haven't provided the data. Can the default please be set to something more generic - 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 perhaps - rather than one of the most negative formations available? In my save in the Danish league, i'm just coming up against this brutally boring formation week after week. 

To illustrate what I mean, this is a screenshot showing the data for a random club from the FM22 editor - looks like nothing has changed in FM23:

image.thumb.png.ad1b801e4e798a190a21db29918ba00d.png

6 hours ago, FM1000 said:

Yeah at top level there are still like 1-2 dribbles in the penalty area per player....and like you said the reason there are not more is tactical...

But this is what bugs me in Football Manager I want to see my tactic on the pitch, not players making decisions because that's what a real player would probably do because his real life manager told him so...

If I say to my IF "I want you to dribble inside every time you have the ball even if you lose it" I should be able to do so.

Also the reason IRL there are no more than 2-3 such dribbles inside is that the defenders are also good! They get into a duel one on one and only if Salah, Messi,Neymar see that they can't beat their men they pass the ball.

There are no duels in FM, by duels I mean IF and Defender face to face, one trying to feint,trick the defender and the defender trying to tackle.

This has always been a problem, whatever tactic you play is always dependent on how that particular match engine works. Like in previous games where you've wanted to play a short passing game and defenders regularly lump the ball long regardless of how many player instructions you give. 

• SI Staff
55 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Been an issue for a few iterations now but there seems to be a lot of clubs/managers who have their 'preferred formation/defensive/offensive/2nd preferred formation' defaulting to 5-3-2 if the research team haven't provided the data. Can the default please be set to something more generic - 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 perhaps - rather than one of the most negative formations available? In my save in the Danish league, i'm just coming up against this brutally boring formation week after week. 

To illustrate what I mean, this is a screenshot showing the data for a random club from the FM22 editor - looks like nothing has changed in FM23:

image.thumb.png.ad1b801e4e798a190a21db29918ba00d.png

When there's no data available for a manager's preferred formation, we randomise through the most popular formations in football. 4231, 433, 442 and I believe 523DM tend to have the highest chances of being picked. However 532 isn't even a possible formation for the AI managers anymore in FM23, so I'm not sure where this comment is coming from that it hasn't changed at all? Especially when FM23 doesn't have an editor out yet.

There's the 5122DM in FM23, which is absolutely a valid formation and isn't necessary defensive - but it's not one of the most popular choices and as far as I'm aware, hasn't been for a long while. For reference I just checked 3 random managers with no data in game - and none of them get 5122DM/523 as a preferred formation.

19 minutes ago, Caletti said:

Is there any chance the full version will be released earlier than november 8? Someone remembers when it was a year ago?

Pretty sure the game is always released on the date specified. Not sure it ever happens earlier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On 29/10/2022 at 21:45, jimbo22 said:

Yeah they really should speed the time up between the teams being draw, cool little idea poorly implemented, where has that been said about new features in FM games. The time it takes to go through a draw people will just skip it. 

A small addition to it could be a x2 speed button for the draw or similar.

9 hours ago, csw4228 said:

Too often ai clubs sell players for much lower than the purchase price?

It makes no sense to sell a player who is particularly good like that, is it a bug?

No its not a bug its a scripted part of the game the same player would cost X5 purchase price 

On 28/10/2022 at 14:01, kopfan1977 said:

This is about my only real issue with the M.E so far that I have taken an interest in. At the moment I am 14 games into my first season (Yes I know, People probably have bigger size samples) but of the 15 goals I have conceded I believe 9 of them have come from a long punt from the opposition keeper over the top of my midfield, Seeing my defenders stand there and ball bounces over them or between them, Goalkeeper stands there taking selfies whilst one of the opposition strikers walks right through to score. 3 of those goals were in one match 1-0 up and in comes a long kick now it's 1-1, 3-1 up and then it went to 3-3 all from long kicks from their keeper. Ok, Maybe one time you could get caught out from such an action, but 3 times within one half. Not too likely. I don't mind seeing one or two every so often, but for the love of my sanity and the thousands of other players around this needs toning down.

I am about giving up with this game until the full game comes out.. Never in all the years of playing have I seen such diabolical and shambolic defending as in this years M.E.

The endless amount of long balls flying over the top and my defenders and keeper all stand virtually still watching it sail past the defence and for one of the opposition players to just knock it past the keeper who barely even attempts to come for the ball or even attempt a save. I know my team isn't world class, My defenders are average championship players but are playing like sunday pub league players, Whilst my Keeper may as well be the U9's Reserve keeper. I've tried adjusting tactics to low block, drop deeper and not push up. Changed from Ball playing to Central defenders with defend duties. Still get hit with those long balls that in FM22 would be cut out about 90% of the time.

8 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

I think you make a good point (in bold) about players not squaring up the defender enough, and it is something we've also felt internally. It's definitely something we want to improve in future, but it's a very difficult thing to implement. If you could start a bug report with clear examples where a player could stand up the defender face to face, that would help us a lot.

But the other point to do with dribbling PIs - I'm not convinced that being able to force your players to play in an unrealistic way is necessarily the right direction for the game. In real life there must be managers telling their players to take on their man 'more often', and yet no player has more than 2.5 dribbles into the box per game or 4 successful dribbles per 90. If you could tell a player to dribble to the extent that they dribble far more than anyone else in real world football, I don't think it really helps us recreate real football which is our ultimate goal, especially when you consider that AI managers use the 'dribble more' instructions as well.

Please do start this bug and I'll have a look. But we probably need to steer back to this being a general feedback thread, as it's become a bit of a focused discussion on dribbling.

The fact is that it's a fundamental law in football that it's just much easier for a player to defend than it is for them to dribble.

The major leagues are packed with teams who defend brilliantly like it's their religion.

It's so difficult to dribble and go past players.

If you actually manage to, then within one second there is another defender almost upon you, and you then have to try and do it all over again.

Every defender is so fit and drilled and focussed, that the days of long-haired flair players dribbling past multiple players and leaving them trailing in the dirt are long gone.

Edited by 2feet

Just now, kopfan1977 said:

A small addition to it could be a x2 speed button for the draw or similar.

Absolutely, I timed it a couple of days ago. The last 16 draw took me around 6 minutes to complete. How many want to sit through draws that take that long. 

16 minutes ago, 2feet said:

The fact is that it's a fundamental law in football that it's just much easier for a player to defend than it is for them to dribble.

The major leagues are packed with teams who defend brilliantly like it's their religion.

It's so difficult to dribble and go past players.

If you actually manage to, then within one second there is another defender almost upon you, and you then have to try and do it all over again.

Every defender is so fit and drilled and focussed, that the days of long-haired flair players dribbling past multiple players and leaving them trailing in the dirt are long gone.

yip...shorter haircuts these days alright :lol: huh

Edited by akkm

3 hours ago, Caletti said:

Is there any chance the full version will be released earlier than november 8? Someone remembers when it was a year ago?

Haven't bought it on release day for the last couple of years, but certainly a few years ago there was at least one occasion the full game was released the evening before release day. Think about 6 o'clock iirc, I remember wolfing down tea to get playing it  :lol:

Yes please speed up the cup draws, otherwise what is the point? No one is going to sit through 6 minutes looking at the clock timer waiting for the next team to be drawn or have the choice of manually clicking through each team which leaves no room any anticipation.

Bring back the old automatic draw thingy

11 hours ago, FM1000 said:

During the sliders era the game was 1000 times more fun, you could instruct your players to play just like you want

The sliders were the biggest placebo effect ever. The match engine wasn't advanced enough to cope with what players imagined the sliders were doing. 

Ironically, you now have actual more control over your players than you had in the days of sliders. 

I remember when the sliders were removed that they werent realistic because why would a manager tell the team to play +3 notches from normal mentality.

Now we have players wanting to play as advanced playmaker on attack, no matter how well they have been playing on support for a long time, and their favorite position and role seems to be randomized, because i had a player wanting to play 1 role when i signed him, then after a year i offered him a new contract to fend off teams interested in him, he wanted to play another role and postition.

i liked the freedom of the sliders insteed off the roles we have now.

42 minutes ago, Arnar said:

I remember when the sliders were removed that they werent realistic because why would a manager tell the team to play +3 notches from normal mentality.

Now we have players wanting to play as advanced playmaker on attack, no matter how well they have been playing on support for a long time, and their favorite position and role seems to be randomized, because i had a player wanting to play 1 role when i signed him, then after a year i offered him a new contract to fend off teams interested in him, he wanted to play another role and postition.

i liked the freedom of the sliders insteed off the roles we have now.

It actually feel like the players are humans instead of robots now.

24 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

It actually feel like the players are humans instead of robots now.

They feel like angry little toddlers now. But i dont see how your comment is relevant to what i said…

Edited by Arnar

I have asked you all twice now in this thread to take discussions to another thread and leave this for FM 23 direct feedback.  Any posts from here that do not fit that will be removed.  Users who disregard this will be removed from the thread.