The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I criticised parts of the German win and team selection etc, but tonight was a performance of a top team, best performance of the tournament so far from England.

Luke Shaw :applause:, what’s Jose got to say about him tonight? He deserves a lot more praise from the media, and good to see bbc actually giving him that tonight.

Turns out the only thing missing for us to go far was a healthy dose of Marxism.

Since we started kneeling before games, I don't think we've lost? The only time we drew was when the other team kneeled.

Edited by Heartwork

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

?

Apparently the kneeling before games is Marxist yet England haven't lost since they started doing it. Only time they didn't win was the draw with Scotland, who also kneeled. Coincidence???

2 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Whoevers been coaching Luke Shaw at United post Mourinho deserves a medal. What a turnaround these past 18 months have been

A PE teacher apparently ;)

I'm already working on the draft for the inevitable hit piece why the Euro 2020 England victory doesn't count. Highlights include the pandemic, the so-easy-it's-almost-cheating bracket consisting of a laughing-stock Germany and two third-world football countries, an Italian/Spanish side that was so knackered from having to play actually good teams, the lack of overall quality in the tournament, as exemplified by the lack of goals from direct free kicks and Haaland not being in it, and some random referee decision in the finals where he stopped play instead of playing advantage.

6 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Good point actually, is the England semifinal on BBC or ITV?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/england-vs-denmark-what-time-20965265

What TV channel is England vs Denmark on?

The game will be shown on both BBC1 and ITV so you can take your pick of coverage.

Denmark are a totally different challenge to Ukraine. There recently haven't been many goals between the sides so it's going to be far from easy to get to the final.

But, we've got an in form side, no suspensions and we rested a few key players yesterday. Denmark also have no suspensions or injuries, barring the obvious absence of Eriksen. 

You couldn't ask for a more comfortable quarter final performance, nice early goal, early goal again in the second half

We haven't conceeded yet and been asked to react, I have no issue with never conceeding a goal ever again though! :p

Walker still gives me frights, some ropey moments about halfway through the half last night too.

Denmark in a semi final, I don't think they're better than us but they are probably quite happy to play us in a semi final and not France/Belgium/Italy, etc too

If we play near our talent levels then we should win but that's not really how football works

Come one! Let's do this!

Walker was pretty bombscare first half. 2 half was a training match so not much to do. 

I wouldn't be against Trippier coming in at right back. A right foot set piece option to accompany Shaw. Though to be fair Mount's set pieces are pretty good

Just now, Astafjevs said:

Don't know if that's meant to be disparaging to Ashley Cole, but Cole was world class and better than Shaw

Not a criticism of Cole at all, just an observation on how England are playing really. For all Cole’s class England under Eriksson and Capello rarely played in a way that allowed him to get forward and assist goals in big games. Too busy dropping back to defend the early 1-0 lead.

Full backs are different beasts nowadays. They need to assist. They are much more important to attacking play compared to 15 years ago. Whereas wingers back in the day would be judged on assists they are now judged on goals and play like forwards.

Just the evolution of football. Ashley Cole would be one of our best players if he played in this side. World class player

36 minutes ago, aggressive minor said:

I like Trippier, but as someone who has watched both on many many occasions, Walker is definitely better.

I was pushing for Trippier because of the set piece threat. But fair play to Shaw and Mount, those balls in for the goals were Beckham-esque.

You could still see Southgate going back to the other system for Denmark though.

57 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Walker was pretty bombscare first half. 2 half was a training match so not much to do. 

I wouldn't be against Trippier coming in at right back. A right foot set piece option to accompany Shaw. Though to be fair Mount's set pieces are pretty good

I’m hoping that was Walker mistakes out of his system. Has them in his game, and thankfully it was against a poor side who couldn’t capitalise. Still keep him in the team because his recovery pace is superb.

But I’d probably not be surprised if we match up Denmark, so would see Trippier in for like Mount as Denmark wingbacks have been superb this tournament. 

Kane confidence being back is superb. Would have never attempted that volley in previous games.

I think he will match up because like Germany a lot of their attacks go through the wing backs.

Their centre backs looked comfortable with aerial balls, the goal they conceded yesterday came from a low cross but I think Denmark will also be more defensive as they won't want Kjaer or Vestergaard isolated against our wide attackers, just like the first 10 minutes vs Wales.

I love how physically strong we look. Last two games we've properly overpowered the opposition in the second half. Feels like after so much non stop football since we sport restarted after the first wave of the pandemic, having a big squad is a huge advantage.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

6 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I love how physically strong we look. Last two games we've properly overpowered the opposition in the second half. Feels like after so much non stop football since we sport restarted after the first wave of the pandemic, having a big squad is a huge advantage.

We definitely held back in the group stages

Think it helped that Ukraine have had to travel loads and last game went the full distance. We in comparison to other sides, have had minimal travel and games been quite slow paced. Germany game was more mentally draining than physically, and players seem to be recovered from that after last night. 

With near full houses for next two games, and facing sides that have had to do more travelling after group stages and longer games, I just can’t see how we don’t win it :) Italy/Spain going the distance would be nice.