The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

6 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Foden always drifts too far forward as an 8 atm, which is why I don't think it'll happen (and it probably shouldn't tbh)... but it'd be fun.

Even though he didn't do much tonight he was perfect sub for occasion. Wanted the ball all the time. Which is what we needed. 

Oh he did that cheeky little back heel to Grealish down the left

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, skybluedave said:

Even though he didn't do much tonight he was perfect sub for occasion. Wanted the ball all the time. Which is what we needed. 

Oh he did that cheeky little back heel to Grealish down the left

Yeah the whole energy and tempo of the team went up a notch. I'm not saying he changed the game, but the game definitely changed after he came on.

5 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I'm guessing he had quite a few unsuccessful passes based on his touches and successful passes? I can't remember that many shots.

87% completion is pretty damn good for a 10 playing a third of his passes into the box against a well organised defence 

12 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

87% completion is pretty damn good for a 10 playing a third of his passes into the box against a well organised defence 

I just checked again, didn't see that the percentage was on the same line :ackter:

14 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

obv depends on distance of pass, proximity of defenders to recipient, angles...open lanes even in tighter spaces. Nominally it sounds decent but anyone making an argument for a significant contribution by mount tonight especially in the top third and citing playing a third of his passes into the box with an 87pc pass completion...well (chuckle)....ahem...sure yeah...he was...well he was what he was lol

13 minutes ago, akkm said:

obv depends on distance of pass, proximity of defenders to recipient, angles...open lanes even in tighter spaces. Nominally it sounds decent but anyone making an argument for a significant contribution by mount tonight especially in the top third and citing playing a third of his passes into the box with an 87pc pass completion...well (chuckle)....ahem...sure yeah...he was...well he was what he was lol

Anyone making an argument for Mount's contribution not being effective is welcome to point out the gaping holes in Denmark's defence that made it really easy for him and others to find space and teammates...

(As for the idea of discounting passes because the player found an open lane in a tight space :lol:)

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Anyone making an argument for Mount's contribution not being effective is welcome to point out the gaping holes in Denmark's defence that made it really easy for him and others to find space and teammates...

(As for the idea of discounting passes because the player found an open lane in a tight space :lol:)

what do you deem effective...so you're lauding someone finding a pass from 2 yards in an open lane in a tight pen area...huzzahhhhhh...how wonderful huh

It was a home game with very little away fans against a 5 mil football nation, with their star player out, and the Three lions needed a controversial penalty late in the extra time to win. I hope Southgate will get the boys down to Earth quickly or they'll be humiliated come Sunday.

4 hours ago, Haiku said:

It was a home game with very little away fans against a 5 mil football nation, with their star player out, and the Three lions needed a controversial penalty late in the extra time to win. I hope Southgate will get the boys down to Earth quickly or they'll be humiliated come Sunday.

No one cares lad 

4 hours ago, Haiku said:

Which means they were under immense pressure having the weight of 55 years of football history on their shoulders during the match which did show for the first half and certainly with Kane's penalty.

I am worried that they see getting to the final as enough but to me it certainly isn't. They will probably never ever have an opportunity like this to win a major tournament in front of their own fans and I just pray that they use this as extra motivation.

Just one more game, 90 more mins to put themselves into the history books, I know they can do it and I believe Southgate will ensure their feet are on the ground today and they will be fully prepared come 8pm Sunday night.

In other news I've had 4hrs sleep and am absolutely ****ed. Hoping I can book Monday off now so can have a decent drink Sunday night too :D

19 minutes ago, VP. said:

Which means they were under immense pressure having the weight of 55 years of football history on their shoulders during the match which did show for the first half and certainly with Kane's penalty.

I am worried that they see getting to the final as enough but to me it certainly isn't. They will probably never ever have an opportunity like this to win a major tournament in front of their own fans and I just pray that they use this as extra motivation.

:D The F you on about? Show me one professional footballer who'd think that way.

All bodes well for the World Cup. A young team getting the experience of a major final. It will be a growth experience for every one of them. 

Play the guys that got you this far. Henderson shouldn't be in ahead of the young duo that have held the fort down all tournament. 

Enjoy the day on Sunday. It's been a **** year, and it's rare moments when everyone comes together like this that will live with you forever. 

Woke up and went out to walk the dog and as I was leaving the radio were talking about playing Italy on Sunday and followed up with a football song.

Cale back and the radio were talking about playing Italy in the final and followed up with a football song.

Gonna be a long few days. 

So happy to be in the final!

It was tough but at least we answered the question of 'how will we react to going behind'. We deserved to win, had the chances too. I did think it was a penalty, not that he got scythed down but the state of pens these days then that's a pen, imo. I thought Kane was unlucky to not get one earlier, maybe he made contact with the defender first. Someone had a nibble at Sterling and seemed to get a nudge from the other side. Ref thought it was a pen there and then and VAR didn't say otherwise

As the game went on we really dominated. That was one of the worst penalties Kane has ever taken, I think and forunate with the rebound, couldn't have fallen better! I will take some of that rub of the green, thanks!

Semi Final and Final in last two tournaments, winning knockout games ... this is all good stuff and we have a relatively young team, we need to do this and to win this thing would be incredible, Italy are really really good but who knows, at home. I just want them to play near their level, be brave, don't be too fearful

Come on!

Yeah I think I'll be giving the news a miss for the next few days.

"We're here with Barry the Butcher, can you tell us about your special England sausages?"

"We're here with Tomaso and Louise, who will be supporting different sides on Sunday. How as a functioning married couple will you be able to cope with cheering for different teams in a football match?"

7 hours ago, Haiku said:

True, and if they play this way against italy, they lose. 

Not really any more worried about Italy than I was before this game.

Denmark played very well as expected, and that period between the 10th minute and their goal I felt they were just edging us - certainly the goal didn't seem against the run of play. England reacted fantastically though - a lot of us had been left wondering how England would cope to going a goal down in this tournament, but immediately they cut down the right twice and got back to parity before half time.

The Danes did come out strongly again for the start of the second half, but as the game wore on, England wrested control of the match away from them. They'll be sickened to lose the game the way they did, but they'd been hanging on thanks to Kasper Schmeichel's right glove for a while anyway. Across the 120 minutes England were comfortably the better team.

Italy themselves were caused a lot of problems in midfield by both Austria and Spain - they have just as many reasons to be wary ahead of the final as England do.

Whole tournament people have been talking about giving Sterling the respect he deserves, and quite rightly of course, but I keep seeing people massively under appreciating the midfield. 

I know I'm the resident Phillips fan boy and everything, but him and Rice have been incredibly important. Before Croatia people said their midfield would have a field day, not a sniff. Before Germany people were talking about Kroos dominating, he got absolutely nothing (after a poor opening 10 minutes) 

First half I fully agree they struggled last night, but these guys have been a big, big reason we've not conceded from open play. In 2018 we saw what being passed off the park and being dominated in midfield looks like, and we've had none of that this year. Yet after every game people talk about them like they're not good enough. 

How’s everyone feeling this morning?

I’m absolutely sick with nerves and I don’t whether it’s from last night or in anticipation of Sunday. If it’s the latter I’m in for a long couple of days :D 

3 minutes ago, Smallen said:

I’m absolutely sick with nerves and I don’t whether it’s from last night or in anticipation of Sunday. If it’s the latter I’m in for a long couple of days :D 

Are you sure it's nerves or the fear from booze? I've definitely got the latter....

What a ballsy decision to take Grealish off, it was totally the correct thing to do, he hadn't done anything and it was either him or Sterling. I doubt many managers would have made that call 

Watching England play like City for the last 10 minutes was infuriating though :D 1 point Walker had Sterling and Kane in the middle to end the game and just runs into the corner, then we pretty much keep the play for the next 8 minutes until full time 

24 minutes ago, Smallen said:

It hadn't really sunk in, until I was coming to work and that Atomic Kitten song came on which I hadn't heard properly. After thinking oh god this is awful, as soon as you start hearing the crowd part of it kick in, it really got me for some reason 

39 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

What a ballsy decision to take Grealish off, it was totally the correct thing to do, he hadn't done anything and it was either him or Sterling. I doubt many managers would have made that call 

Watching England play like City for the last 10 minutes was infuriating though :D 1 point Walker had Sterling and Kane in the middle to end the game and just runs into the corner, then we pretty much keep the play for the next 8 minutes until full time 

Walker probably hesitated and thought if he gets the cross wrong he gives Denmark the ball back. It was an easier cross than he thought but in that moment I can see why he's hesitated. I don't think it's something to criticise tbh, he either needs to get the cross right or keep the ball. He chose a safer option, but helped us see out the game either way. 

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Walker probably hesitated and thought if he gets the cross wrong he gives Denmark the ball back. It was an easier cross than he thought but in that moment I can see why he's hesitated. I don't think it's something to criticise tbh, he either needs to get the cross right or keep the ball. He chose a safer option, but helped us see out the game either way. 

No i'm not criticising him, i'm used to it with City, but watching England do it just felt infuriating :D Foden was the perfect player to have on the pitch to run down the clock and Sterling just didn't stop running at all 

45 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

I actually  liked England running the clock down. Would have looked daft if we promptly gave the ball away in the corner, but Denmark were done and we were so comfortable

6 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

No i'm not criticising him, i'm used to it with City, but watching England do it just felt infuriating :D Foden was the perfect player to have on the pitch to run down the clock and Sterling just didn't stop running at all 

Yeah I know you weren't being overly critical, just couldn't think of a better word :D

15 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Who’d have thought Sam Allardyce and his pint of wine would end up being the catalyst for a new era of English football :D 

Weirdest sequence of events since Leicester won the league and became a "big club" because of the manager's son's behaviour on a Thai holiday

What a game.  I have never been that tense throughout a game.

Their FK was a screamer, other than that they didn't cause much trouble.  Pickford had a wobbly game, but ultimately I don't think he can be held accountable for that goal given it was such a belter.

The Pen was soft, but was checked by VAR and wasn't a clear and obvious mistake.  Kane's take was tame, but well done on the follow up, and with the OG and the earlier save, it's a shame Sterling didn't get on the scoresheet officially.

Think we really could have done with DCL in the box at times.  I'm a little baffled as to why he's not even in the squad.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Tried to upload the pic that would help clarify but didn’t work on my phone.

Basically the picture of Wenger looking like he’d planned it all, just like big Sam has.

Oh right I got ya! Thought you were calling me smug and it really confused me :D 

1 hour ago, Bigwig said:

After 115 minutes Sterling looked like he’d just came on fresh as a sub. Amazing stamina. 

The way he runs past someone and then somehow slinks in front to get his body around like he's made of liquid is crazy

He definitely got a second wind near the end

4 minutes ago, Razzler said:

Many accounts suggest that's because he was rolling around on the floor resting so much yesterday AFTER YET ANOTHER CHEATING SCUM DIVE! :mad:

Who's got that Immobile .gif? :D

Fabulous double standards last night and this morning on the forum. Can't wait for more from both factions on Sunday.

33 minutes ago, Razzler said:

The way he runs past someone and then somehow slinks in front to get his body around like he's made of liquid is crazy

Tifo podcast used a gaming reference and compared Sterling to an analog stick and everyone else a D pad :D