The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, enigmatic said:

I'm amazed that Uri Geller is still a thing

To be fair, if I could become a multi millionaire just by pretending my magic tricks are real and that I could move things with my mind, I would be milking it for all its worth too.

Hadn't noticed him milking it since the 90s tbh... thought he'd gone the way of centre partings, intricately patterned football kits and Anthea Turner.

But maybe that's just because he was too busy to bend the ball in all those penalty shootouts

Why of all the options available, do UEFA appoint a German officiating team for our Ukraine fixture. I’m not childish enough to be suggesting he’ll be impartial or any of that nonsense but this seems like a talking point that could easily be avoided :D Not forgetting to mention Brych’s absolute horrorshow in Belgium Portugal..

Edited by ArsenalFan7

5 hours ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Why of all the options available, do UEFA appoint a German officiating team for our Ukraine fixture. I’m not childish enough to be suggesting he’ll be impartial or any of that nonsense but this seems like a talking point that could easily be avoided :D Not forgetting to mention Brych’s absolute horrorshow in Belgium Portugal..

Didn't see you complaining about a Dutch ref in the England v Germany game :D

50 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Yeah, there's no chance Brych is going to stick it to the English, but there's a pretty decent chance that he's going to be s***

And if you go by politics, I guess Germans are more likely to screw Ukrainains than the English. 

Can't wait for tomorrow, probably going to step away from any England threads from tomorrow till we won the whole thing, and just soak up the atmosphere of a once in a generation run to success, rather than get bogged down each time arguing over X player :D 

Edited by pearcey_90

I tend to avoid the internet a bit before and (depending on the result) after the game. Can get a bit too much

That tweet I posted yesterday of Henderson waiting to come on and celebrating Kane's goal. Lovely, but I decided to read the comments and it was just people moaning that Henderson is the real captain and should be captain over Kane etc :D FFS

We're visiting my parents in-law over the weekend, so will either be watching at theirs (who dislike football and would just make silly comments the whole way through), or going out somewhere in Lincoln. Not sure I've watched an England game in a pub since Lampard's ghost goal...

17 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I tend to avoid the internet a bit before and (depending on the result) after the game. Can get a bit too much

That tweet I posted yesterday of Henderson waiting to come on and celebrating Kane's goal. Lovely, but I decided to read the comments and it was just people moaning that Henderson is the real captain and should be captain over Kane etc :D FFS

I don't understand the obsession over captaincy in this country, I genuinely don't think it makes anywhere near as big a difference as people make out. Leaders and everything are important, but they don't need to be wearing an armband to have a positive influence.

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I don't understand the obsession over captaincy in this country, I genuinely don't think it makes anywhere near as big a difference as people make out. Leaders and everything are important, but they don't need to be wearing an armband to have a positive influence.

People are stupid. The sooner you realize this fact the more a lot of things in life start to make sense.

No where near as nervous as I was for the Germany game. Not over confidence I just cannot see Ukraine causing as any problems. Majority of the team finished the game wedensdsy injured or just knackered. Plus their best player came off injured before the end.

1 hour ago, Pukey said:

I dunno about international level, but at club level, the captain is usually the intermediary between the players and the board and/or management team for off-the-field stuff.

Most importantly though if we're going to win a trophy, I'd rather see a proper club legend who's been at the club for years like Wes Morgan or Kasper Schmeichel lift it than some guy we just signed. :p

We can’t win the Euros tomorrow but we can certainly lose them etc.

One of those isn’t it. If we lose it will rank as one of our worst ever, if we win then everyone expected us to win anyway. Sure we will be fine, Gareth will have everyone’s feet on the ground.

Edited by Rob1981

I think the group stages and Germany result have banked enough goodwill for Gareth that he can get away with an upset without too much grief.

Theoretically we should make the final now and you could see anything less as a disappointment, then if we lose to Italy, Belgium or Spain it’s an honourable defeat more than a bottle job. 

4 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

I think the group stages and Germany result have banked enough goodwill for Gareth that he can get away with an upset without too much grief.

Theoretically we should make the final now and you could see anything less as a disappointment, then if we lose to Italy, Belgium or Spain it’s an honourable defeat more than a bottle job. 

Can absolutely guarantee that's not the way Gunman will tell it in a year's time if this happens. Everything is a bottle job according to him.

4 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

It's a bit mental that we could knock Germany our of the Euros and still be disappointed with these Euros

What a time to be alive 

It’s similar to the World Cup. Before the tournament you would have taken a semi-final defeat but the when the big guns started dropping out there was a feeling we could and should have gone further.

39 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Did make me laugh that, although the coach in BILB looks more like Phil Neville.

I think that guy is a model more than an actor, let's hope he never reads this forum :D

Edited by The_jagster
He's not dead

6 hours ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Yeah, there's no chance Brych is going to stick it to the English, but there's a pretty decent chance that he's going to be s***

Pretty much, he’s the reason KDB and Hazard have injury issues. Hopefully he won’t opt for extreme leniency again so we can avoid losing any players for the next round

8 hours ago, Yuko said:

Didn't see you complaining about a Dutch ref in the England v Germany game :D

More found it amusing than anything :D Thought Makkelie was phenomenal for that game as well

England piece there in the build up, sounds like we're going full strength and not looking to rest any of the four players a yellow card away from missing a potential SF. 

Possibly reverting back to a four at the back and Mount in contention to come back into the starting eleven. 

5 hours ago, Analog said:

Love this guy.  What an insanely fast and observant mind.

Don't know him, but it's pretty well put. On a rational level, most people understand that it's just football and that there are more important things, but big events etch themselves into everybody's memory, and it's not just an individual memory, but a collective one that is shared with millions of other people, which makes that a really powerful cultural milestone.

I reckon/hope we'll see Henderson in for Phillips, revert to 433, drop Trippier, start with Sancho on the right and Sterling left, maybe Mount alongside Henderson. It sounds like a pretty potent line-up.

I'm finding it harder to be motivated by this match. Just doesn't have the wow factor and I'm probably half thinking it'd be totally typical to cock it up now after getting past Germany.

And whilst I have a stream of consciousness: I can see us going with Sancho on the right. Zinchenko is one of Ukraine's main attacking outlets and is generally one of their better players.

If we have Walker and Sancho on the right it potentially forces Zinchenko to adopt a more defensive role (or he exploits loads of space on that flank!)