The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, VP. said:

abd2b08859e17a1b1d1a012503c53e4e.jpeg

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

tbf she looks quite a lot like him to start with

Probably spent her entire life being told she looks like that bloke that missed the penalty in Euro 96. This is her redemption arc too.

Was screaming at Soutgate to bring on Grealish, Foden and Henderson from about the 60th minute. Brings on Grealish in normal time and he causes chaos, but waits until extra time to do anything else. It nearly gave me an aneurysm. But the final result is all that matters.

3 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Was screaming at Soutgate to bring on Grealish, Foden and Henderson from about the 60th minute. Brings on Grealish in normal time and he causes chaos, but waits until extra time to do anything else. It nearly gave me an aneurysm. But the final result is all that matters.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

3 minutes ago, Unknown Hacker said:

I think that may have been our best performance of the tournament. Into the final of a major tournament having only conceded a 30-yard screamer. It's nice.

No the Ukraine performance was better than tonight.

Thought Phillips was playing his way out of the side, but he had a very good extra time.

Think assuming everyone is fit, Saka's position is the only one in slight doubt, but I'd still expect him to start the final. Probably drop Mount a bit deeper to try and match up in midfield.

2 minutes ago, martynlcfc said:

Thought Phillips was playing his way out of the side, but he had a very good extra time.

Think assuming everyone is fit, Saka's position is the only one in slight doubt, but I'd still expect him to start the final. Probably drop Mount a bit deeper to try and match up in midfield.

He had a great second half too. Part of the reason we dominated was because him and Rice started getting a grip that they didn't have in the first half.

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

They had 10 men tbf. 

Fair point but still… there was a 5 minute passage where they literally didn’t touch the ball. To play like that in ET of a semi-final was great.

10 minutes ago, martynlcfc said:

I think the team today starts the final. 

I thought that was really impressive from England tonight.  They showed a bit of everything to win that game.  I'm chuffed for Southgate, he deserves this as much as anyone else.

I love Rice and Phillips for what they've done this summer. But they are a middle tier midfield. Maybe a bit harsh but it does worry me for Sunday. 

I much more confident in our defence and front 3 against Italy. Midfield is a worry. Will need monster performances from them

I'm wary of tinkering too much but I think I'd start Hendo for Rice/Phillips in the final. He has that final and elite winning experience that those two don't have. Could be crucial.

Edited by Haguey

3 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I love Rice and Phillips for what they've done this summer. But they are a middle tier midfield. Maybe a bit harsh but it does worry me for Sunday. 

I much more confident in our defence and front 3 against Italy. Midfield is a worry. Will need monster performances from them

Yes, the biggest weakness of the pitch.

if Bellingham was a bit older and Hendo a bit more match fit ….

4 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Honestly I think Rice has become a bit underrated during this tournament. Phillips is more eye catching, but I think some of Rice's defensive work has been great.

I can see Rice getting 80 odd caps in a good England side, whereas Phillips will lose his place to Bellingham by Euro 2024

Kane was superb. That's the Kane I want. Popping up everywhere. Being available. Brilliant pass to Saka. Will gloss over the pen...

Sterling though. Jesus christ. Somebody drug test him. How can somebody that small be that strong. How can he be that rapid after 120 mins. Absolute hero. Absolute total legend. Think he's my favourite England play ever now. Move over Ashley Cole

People said Rice/Phillips would be done by Croatia's midfield and by Germany as well. Definitely had it rough during the first half tonight but they came through. I know Italy have a brilliant midfield but I wouldn't write them off if Southgate picks them again. 

7 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Honestly I think Rice has become a bit underrated during this tournament. Phillips is more eye catching, but I think some of Rice's defensive work has been great.

I can see Rice getting 80 odd caps in a good England side, whereas Phillips will lose his place to Bellingham by Euro 2024

I agree. Phillips is the more replaceable part of that partnership. I'm not sure we have anyone who can do what Rice does. 

They were outfought by Hojbjerg and Delaney until Denmark tired, it doesn't fill me with confidence. 

Rice does well at stopping the pass that never even gets made because he's in the right position, the pair of them were much better at cutting out passes in the second half but got moved around by clever movement in the first. For all that Denmark never had a great chance at any point.

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

People said Rice/Phillips would be done by Croatia's midfield and by Germany as well. Definitely had it rough during the first half tonight but they came through. I know Italy have a brilliant midfield but I wouldn't write them off if Southgate picks them again. 

Southgate has done a great job of protecting players and not letting their weakness be exploited. We also play so much down the wings, that the midfield isn't really an issue

3 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Kane was superb. That's the Kane I want. Popping up everywhere. Being available. Brilliant pass to Saka. Will gloss over the pen...

Sterling though. Jesus christ. Somebody drug test him. How can somebody that small be that strong. How can he be that rapid after 120 mins. Absolute hero. Absolute total legend. Think he's my favourite England play ever now. Move over Ashley Cole

I legally have to say Saka, but Sterling has been my favourite for years. Treated awfully by this country after Iceland

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

I agree. Phillips is the more replaceable part of that partnership. I'm not sure we have anyone who can do what Rice does. 

I think that's why Southgate subs him off. If he gets injured, we have no one to play that role

2 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

They were outfought by Hojbjerg and Delaney until Denmark tired, it doesn't fill me with confidence. 

Rice does well at stopping the pass that never even gets made because he's in the right position, the pair of them were much better at cutting out passes in the second half but got moved around by clever movement in the first. For all that Denmark never had a great chance at any point.

Rice fills in a lot down the left hand side, allowing Shaw to push on. We leave the midfield exposed on purpose at times, so we can overload the wings

Yeah, I don't know if my Foden bias is creeping in but I just haven't been overly impressed with Mount in the Euros. I don't see Southgate changing it though, he'll likely want a controlled game and Foden is a bit of chaos in midfield. Up front I think it's the same 3 again, wouldn't be against dropping Saka for Grealish/Foden but I'm also fine with him playing.

3 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Yeah, I don't know if my Foden bias is creeping in but I just haven't been overly impressed with Mount in the Euros. I don't see Southgate changing it though, he'll likely want a controlled game and Foden is a bit of chaos in midfield. Up front I think it's the same 3 again, wouldn't be against dropping Saka for Grealish/Foden but I'm also fine with him playing.

Foden is exceptional but I just don't think he fits in this current side.

It's what I love about Southgate, dropping Foden after the first two games was a huge move.

I think Mount has been good btw, does a **** load of running and pressing. I think he does a lot for the team that Southgate wants. I think his lack of attacking play is by design

Edited by ajw10

7 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Rice fills in a lot down the left hand side, allowing Shaw to push on. We leave the midfield exposed on purpose at times, so we can overload the wings

Denmark were also making quite a lot of risky efforts to win the ball back which would have exposed their defence if they didn't make the tackle or interception, it was clearly their game plan to unsettle England and most teams aren't so aggressive. Vestergaard seemed to have license to go into midfield if he thought he could win it but if he did they could get at a less organised England.

Edited by The_jagster

6 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Mount was very good. Doesn't deliver Foden level highlights, but Foden's movement and linkup play wasn't at his level either.

Apparently this was his contribution

https://twitter.com/ExpectedChelsea/status/1412889650360987665?s=20  

I can't process what we've achieved tonight, ****ing amazing 

I have no idea what the opinion of Sterling was tonight, but **** me how does he keep going like that for 120 minutes. If he could finish he'd be the best player in the world 

4 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Mount was very good. Doesn't deliver Foden level highlights, but Foden's movement and linkup play wasn't at his level either.

I'm guessing he had quite a few unsuccessful passes based on his touches and successful passes? I can't remember that many shots.

4 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Foden always drifts too far forward as an 8 atm, which is why I don't think it'll happen (and it probably shouldn't tbh)... but it'd be fun.

I still think Foden on the left and Sterling on the right is the way to go, but if Southgate insists on playing them the other way round then it's a no for me and I'd stick with Saka initially or play Grealish.