The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

Maybe it's just the English semis of 90 and 96 that have coloured my judgement and the fact we never get to a final.  I liken it to club level though, I've always hated it when Spurs get knocked out in a semi than losing in a final.  Of course, I'd rather win the final, but at least just getting there is enough for some of us at times.....but that won't happen tomorrow....it's coming home!!!!!!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got to wondering how many here can remember the 1966 World Cup final? I was 10 years old that summer and clearly remember watching it on the family black-and-white TV set. No idea how big it was but 17-19 inches sounds about right. Watched the match in my usual spot, lying on the floor in front of the TV to get as close to the screen as possible for that "big screen" experience :lol:.

Probably the clearest memory I have is that before and after the final, every kickabout involved playing the finals in 1-a-side matches - everyone had to pick a team (don't think anyone was ever West Germany) and first goal won. We could play the final stages in an hour or so. Jumpers for goalposts, obviously!

Enjoy the occasion - I don't anyone would (or could) have believed it would be this long before England played another major final.

5 hours ago, Rebs said:

Maybe it's just the English semis of 90 and 96 that have coloured my judgement and the fact we never get to a final.  I liken it to club level though, I've always hated it when Spurs get knocked out in a semi than losing in a final.  Of course, I'd rather win the final, but at least just getting there is enough for some of us at times.....but that won't happen tomorrow....it's coming home!!!!!!

I can only speak for myself, but losing the final in 2002 hurt more than going out in the semi-final in 2006. And in the collective memory of Germans, 2006 is fondly remembered in retrospect, whereas 2002 just isn't talked about.

I'm sure it's different for England simply because this already is the best showing since 1966, so it'll probably be remembered positively even in a loss, but I guess my point is: losing a final stings. Once you get there, anything but a win is a failure because you only remember history in the context of that one match and not so much the thrill of getting there. Kahn's mistake in the final against Brazil 2002 is forever etched into my memory, whereas I have little recollection of the matches that got us there (granted, that's partly due to the fact they were against Paraguay, USA, and South Korea, or the easiest path to a final ever).

15 hours ago, Rebs said:

No way, at least you've had the occasion...if you get knocked out in the semi then you have had none of it, may as well have gone out at the start.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this then. Losing a final hurts more than losing a SF to me. 

Watching United lose two CL Finals to Barca hurt more than losing in the SF to Leverkusen or getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Leicester in the SF vs losing the final to Chelsea the other year. 

Finals are stressful and tense and you just hope you win ultimately (of course) so you can only enjoy it so much, if the game is hard to call etc rather than one side being clear favourites in which case you can relax and enjoy it much more.

Edited by craigcwwe

Walked into manchester and most pubs in town centre are already filled, seen a few that have had too many, get ya naps in bois its gonna be a long night :D

Edited by BigV

Don't really buy that losing the final hurts more anyway. Last year's Europa elimination certainly wasn't more enjoyable than this years' final, and even when we were winning stuff regularly it was a lot better watching the team struggle to get near Peak Barcelona in finals than going out early to the likes of Leverkusen

It is interesting that apparently 13 (though some sources say 14) of the 26 England players were technically eligible to represent other countries before committing to England. I know 12 of them but not sure who #13 (or #14) is.

Kyle Walker - Jamaica
Declan Rice - Republic of Ireland
Harry Maguire - Northern Ireland / Republic of Ireland
Jack Grealish - Republic of Ireland
Harry Kane - Republic of Ireland
Raheem Sterling - Jamaica
Marcus Rashford - St Kitts and Nevis
Kalvin Phillips - Jamaica / Republic of Ireland
Tyrone Mings - Barbados
Jadon Sancho - Trinidad and Tobago
Ben Chilwell - New Zealand
Bukayo Saka - Nigeria

If Priti Patel had her way half this squad wouldn't be here.

Also imagine an Ireland squad with Rice, Maguire, Grealish, Kane and Phillips in it.

Edited by Heartwork

11 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

It is interesting that apparently 13 (though some sources say 14) of the 26 England players were technically eligible to represent other countries before committing to England. I know 12 of them but not sure who #13 (or #14) is.

Kyle Walker - Jamaica
Declan Rice - Republic of Ireland
Harry Maguire - Northern Ireland / Republic of Ireland
Jack Grealish - Republic of Ireland
Harry Kane - Republic of Ireland
Raheem Sterling - Jamaica
Marcus Rashford - St Kitts and Nevis
Kalvin Phillips - Jamaica / Republic of Ireland
Tyrone Mings - Barbados
Jadon Sancho - Trinidad and Tobago
Ben Chilwell - New Zealand
Bukayo Saka - Nigeria

If Priti Patel had her way half this squad wouldn't be here.

Also imagine an Ireland squad with Rice, Maguire, Grealish, Kane and Phillips in it.

Do you really have to bring politics into things on a day like this? Let people enjoy the occassion.

26 minutes ago, aggressive minor said:

Are sports and politics completely mutually exclusive?

He's trying to bring up a point about politicians when it would be nice to have an event that unites the nation instead of this constant division so I don't really care whether it's mutually exclusive or not. Just for one night enjoy the sodding football and leave the other stuff for another day.

Outside of the first 15 mins we really didn't get it right. We should have pressed for a 2nd in first half. But then by half time Italy were all over us and Southgate should have made a change to get us on the front foot again. We looked better when we went 433. Hindsight is wonderful but noway we were gonna hold a 1-0 for 88 mins. 

I'm devastated but once I sleep it off and time passes I think I'll remember this tournament fondly. It felt like the first time England arrived and delivered as a big boy, became a contender and it's a great foundation to build on. 

Proud of the boys. Love Saka. 

8 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Genuinely feel for you all. It's been great following the tournament with you all. Heads up and go again in 2022! It's a great young team. 

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Very, very happy England lost but they did better than I expected. Hope you can take the good things from this (no sympathy for most of your fanbase outside of this forum though). 

Cheers lads. Hopefully your lot can join us there. Like i always say about the other UK/Ireland teams, love having you at tournaments and really hope you do well. On the caveat that you don’t beat us when we play or go further than we do :D

2 minutes ago, mark1985 said:

Cheers lads. Hopefully your lot can join us there. Like i always say about the other UK/Ireland teams, love having you at tournaments and really hope you do well. On the caveat that you don’t beat us when we play or go further than we do :D

Thoughts and prayers for me too. I had to watch three teams go out (Scotland, Czechia, Slovakia).

I thought we deserved it just about. England had one shot on target after scoring, in....117 minutes of football. Don't think they did much after the first half, apart from a few occasional drives from Sterling into the box. They let us impose our game and play football, and as many said before the game, that's not the way to beat Italy. Had to be more proactive.

4 hours ago, Heartwork said:

The point is that this England team is a celebration and result of the multiculturalism and immigration that certain bandwagon hoppers are completely opposed to.

Look, you said you didn't want England to win because the BBC showed a ****ing war film.

You are always looking for a reason to berate England. We get it, you are a really cool hipster who ****ing loves small countries 

6 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I thought we deserved it just about. England had one shot on target after scoring, in....117 minutes of football. Don't think they did much after the first half, apart from a few occasional drives from Sterling into the box. They let us impose our game and play football, and as many said before the game, that's not the way to beat Italy. Had to be more proactive.

Definitely. We looked much better with Saka on as we gave you defence something to think about. However by the time he came on we had lost our rhythm. 

Our midfield was genuinely awful tonight. 

3 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Look, you said you didn't want England to win because the BBC showed a ****ing war film.

You are always looking for a reason to berate England. We get it, you are a really cool hipster who ****ing loves small countries 

It's not the team I hate it's the fans and honestly some of the **** that's happened with fans in this tournament vindicates my cynicism.

10 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I agree. But interesting that Spain actually bested the eventual champions in a one to one match-up. Very interesting..

9 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

It's not the team I hate it's the fans and honestly some of the **** that's happened with fans in this tournament vindicates my cynicism.

Theres been much more good from the fans and players this summer then bad. You just focusing on the bad

1 minute ago, VP. said:

Southgate openly saying he picked the takers actually beggars belief, must have been the only person in the country (including Saka himself) that thought he would score.

He's saying it to take the heat off of the players that didn't take one

I’ve never really been an England fan, due to hating a lot of the squad. But this tournament I really got in to it, I like every single one of the players and it’s been a joy.

They came second but a huge achievement still. Proud of them all.

England have a young team. They'll go close again. I said in the other England thread in the football forum, and various others actually, that 2020-2030 is a really good period for England to win a trophy. I do actually think they'll win one. No idea what one, but they've got such a good young team with depth everywhere. Even if some of these players are **** in 18 months, there's so many others who can take their spot that it won't matter

6 minutes ago, VP. said:

Southgate openly saying he picked the takers actually beggars belief, must have been the only person in the country (including Saka himself) that thought he would score.

He's protecting the players. He's been the scapegoat before (remember the hell people put him through after Euro 96) so he knows what it's like to be a player who missed a pen and has the vultures after them the next day.

Just now, Astafjevs said:

England have a young team. They'll go close again. I said in the other England thread in the football forum, and various others actually, that 2020-2030 is a really good period for England to win a trophy. I do actually think they'll win one. No idea what one, but they've got such a good young team with depth everywhere. Even if some of these players are **** in 18 months, there's so many others who can take their spot that it won't matter

I worry about the goalkeeper situation, I think tonight showed the value of an elite keeper.

I also worry about the midfield with England. I am not a fan of Phillips at all, I don't get why Southgate always subs off Rice over him. Aside from Bellingham, I'm not sure we have many English midfielders coming through