Now we are in the knockout stages, who do you think will win the world cup?

decapitated

Who do you think will win the world cup?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think would win the world cup?

• France
    • Argentina
    • Uruguay
    • Portugal
    • Croatia
    • Denmark
    • Spain
    • Russia
    • Brazil
    • Mexico
    • Belgium
    • Japan
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • England
    • Colombia

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/06/18 at 14:00

It will be interesting to see how peoples views on this will have changed. I went for Germany in the original poll (look how well that went!) and now I'd go for Uruguay. I think 15 of the 16 teams could feasibly win the title (all of them apart from Japan)

21 minutes ago, decapitated said:

It will be interesting to see how peoples views on this will have changed. I went for Germany in the original poll (look how well that went!) and now I'd go for Uruguay. I think 15 of the 16 teams could feasibly win the title (all of them apart from Japan)

Russia, Denmark and Sweden have next to no chance imo. I can't imagine any of them  (or Japan) winning it. The other 12 teams though are fair game. 

E: And I voted Belgium of course :) 🇧🇪🇧🇪🇧🇪

Brazil-Spain is my pick for the final.

I can't really find a team to support out of the lot of potential winners... Every side winning has a lot of negative aspects... I'll probably root for Argentina, if only because that'll stop the nonsense about Messi.

Croatia'd be fun, I guess, but I fully expect them to drop the ball in the stupidest way

I'll stick with my initial prediction of it being a European team, which before the tournament was Germany just over Spain for me. Now obviously Germany are gone whilst Spain look woeful at the back and not a side I'd back to win it.

So I've gone for France. Have they been particularly fluid or even good? No. But they seem pretty solid at the back whilst having a team full of potential match-winners, sort of side you could see scrapping through the big games with one moment of magic in an otherwise dire affair.

If we were to have a non-European winner Brazil look by far the best placed and honestly might even be the favourites at this stage but I'm all on the European bandwagon now!

23 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

Brazil-Spain is my pick for the final.

I can't really find a team to support out of the lot of potential winners... Every side winning has a lot of negative aspects... I'll probably root for Argentina, if only because that'll stop the nonsense about Messi.

Croatia'd be fun, I guess, but I fully expect them to drop the ball in the stupidest way

Yes indeed, Brazil - Spain is also what I think will be the final. What nonsense about Messi btw? 

4 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Yes indeed, Brazil - Spain is also what I think will be the final. What nonsense about Messi btw? 

Presumably the idea that Messi is an international failure because Argentina haven't won anything with him (yet...). 

E: also I disagree that the best non-European shout is Brazil. I think Uruguay's staunch defence coupled with Suarez and Cavani could win the tournament. That sort of solid defence could take them all the way. I said before, they remind me of Italy in 06. I don't really see them conceding from open play. Or from corners. Might take a penalty or FK (or fluke OG :D) to get past them. 

Now after seeing everyone I think it's gonna be Brazil but they're far from clear favs, they've got problems just like any other team and it just takes one bad day. It's wide open and prone to a bigger surprise than usual, I wouldn't be shocked to see a Belgium-Croatia final for example which would be two teams making their final debut and a brand new world champ.

I'd rank the favs something like this

#1 Brazil - excelently organized at the back, look on great physical shape, playmaker on superb form (Coutinho), but they're lacking fluidity somewhat at the front, it goes too much through Neymar and Gabriel Jesus looks completely without any confidence. Yet even both of these players who are problems at the moment, they've got the talent don't they?

#2 Spain - looking like proper fluid tiki-taka at the front, at their best they've been one of the most watchable teams of the competition, they're on the easy side of the draw, but the defence is suspect (they've bagged 3 goals against Portugal, 2 against Morocco and gave away so many chances to Iran!!) and sometimes they look a little out of physical shape. The bonkers change of manager is also bound to be a factor behind the scenes. But they're the clear strongest side in the bottom half of the draw.

#3 France - much like Brazil in which they've been solid-ish at the back and lacking fluidity upfront, just slightly worse than Brazil overall IMO. Not putting their talents on the pitch but they've got lots of it and it can click at any moment, or they can keep riding on fleeting individual moments.

#4 Belgium - most powerful team of the whole competition going forward IMO, the attack looks superbly fluid. BUT having Carrasco as wingback and Boyata as CB are clear weak spots and you'd think at some stage some team will finally be able to exploit this. Get some luck at some crucial moments though, or outscore the opposition in those moments, and it can be their dream year.

#5 Croatia - The dark horse everyone's tipping because they've got the best midfield of the competition (and this wins games) and good players all around, they look organized, but I'm concerned they may have peaked early, we've been through this before with them at the Euros where they also looked the best side of the group stages? I'm seeing a good solid side but no world class winner players apart from Modric-Rakitic. You usually need a world class attacker to win the world cup IMO, but I'm not ruling out Croatia just yet.

#6 England - Not sure there's world cup winning quality here but it's their best chance of a semi-final in a lifetime and in a good day they can beat Spain or Croatia so who knows. Much like Croatia it's a solid side well put together with no massive weaknesses anywhere, but not much depth of world class players bar Harry Kane.

#7 Uruguay - They are definitely good, no goals conceded yet, seriously lacking fluidity in the first 2 matches but finally kicked off into another gear against Russia. They are versatile, can play a dull defensive game or a nice passing game with their brand new midfield. World class duo of CBs and of STs. I'm not ruling them out from winning the WC, they're probably the last side in this list I'd say has a genuine chance, but being in the tough side of the draw won't help.

#8 Colombia - Occasionally splendorous going forward (one of the most watchable teams of the competition) and that's not all as they do have good players at the back like Davinson Sanchez, but they have been very inconsistent and will seriously lack James if he's still injured. I can see them beating England (and if so probably beat Swi/Swe and book a semi-final spot) but going all the way is pushing it and highly unlikely without James.

#9 Portugal - Well organized around Ronaldo but that's it, I think we've been seriously riding on luck for a while and this is prone to catch us up, the side look slower and dodgier than in the Euros when we were already massively lucky. Wrong side of the draw this time too (was the exact other way around in the Euros!) and it's not gonna happen unless we seriously massively improve out of the blue, unlikely. Think we're going out against either Uruguay or then France in the quarters.

#10 Argentina - Compared to us they've got more talent but as a direct comparison of how to organize a side around a big star, they lose out big time. Were better against Nigeria but there's still a big hint of the shambolic around their organisation and it's hard to imagine how this won't catch up with them over the knockout stages.

#11 Mexico - A good, mildly talented, balanced side that looked really exciting against Germany and good against South Korea, but when you're capable of shipping 3 goals to the Swedes I'm wondering how exactly are you gonna be able to beat Brazil then Belgium then France then Spain. Nah. Better side of the draw and I'd have given him a tiny chance.

#12 Switzerland - A super dull but highly dangerous team, that with a little luck have a chance to clinch an all-time best of a semi-final. I don't think anyone wants to face them, they look organised and solid defensively, but I'm not seeing enough talent upfront for a world cup win.

#13 Russia - Surprisingly exciting and fluid against the Saudis and Egyptians, the home advantage is a thing and they look fitter than anyone else, don't completely rule them out from outrunning the Spanish and nicking a famous surprise win. The Russians are an easy side to forget they're still in this, and can still surprise, but the 3-0 defeat to Uruguay revealed weaknesses and player-for-player they do not have anywhere near the talent of half the sides in this list.

#14 Sweden - An enigma that seem to be doing much better than anyone expected, this is now the side that knocked out Italy, smashed Mexico and got out top of a group with Germany, they've got the best chance of a semi-final since 1994 but... where's the talent, exactly? Not seeing it other than Forsberg and I'm gambling on the Swiss beating them in the dullest-looking contest of the knockouts stage.

#15 Denmark - Even duller than the Swiss or the Swedes, a side based on Eriksen and little else seemed to be riding on their luck and Schmeichel the son to escape their group and look even a little off form. Everyone's probably a little too confident on the Croatians against them, but can't see the Danes going very deep.

#16 Japan - The weakest side remaining and with an horrendous draw, Japan have been surprisingly fluid in the final third at times, but there's **** all chance they beat Belgium then Brazil then France then Spain.

I still think Brazil will go all the way, as I can see them really kicking on now that it's the knockout phase. I'm also standing by my prediction that Spain will be runners-up, even with the defence looking far more fragile than I was expecting.

Of the other teams, Croatia have definitely impressed me the most, and they are currently my second-favourite team behind England. Modric and Rakitic are two exceptional midfielders who could cause Spain real problems in the Quarters... but I have a worrying feeling that Croatia will somehow fail to kill off Denmark and then lose on penalties.

Spain or Uruguay, voted for Spain.

I'm still not quite feeling Belgium but Kompany instead of Boyata would raise their chances significantly. If they can get past the quarters I think they'll get into the final but if it's Spain they face there I think Spain will have too much for them.

One of Sweden, Switzerland, Colombia, or England will be in the semis so at that point whoever of those it is that gets through will have a chance. 

Denmark, Japan, Mexico, and Argentina I just can't see doing anything at all. I'd include Russia but they have home advantage which does make a difference, but I'd be very surprised to see them past Spain.

I still fail to see why so many people are gushing about Belgium...

So far they defeated Panama and Tunisia (conceding TWICE) in what could hardly be considered as World Cup-level games. And then they overcame England in a glorified friendly nobody really wanted to play, let alone to win.

Then it'll be another walk in the park against Japan, further increasing the expectations... Just in time to get squashed by Brazil. For all the (erratic) quality Belgium have up front, their defense is awful, it's just it hasn't been properly exposed yet.

Basically Belgium are what pre-2010 Spain used to be: a lot of potential, even more hype, but little substance when it matters.

P.S. Croatia also have a great chance to bottle it as spectacularly.

I don't rate Spain that highly at all.

They obviously have issues due to managerial change and they've looked unconvincing so far.
Don't forget about their performance in 2014 and 2016.

Brazil looks like a true contender more than any other team. Your typical top class team that doesn't look all that impressive but punishes every mistake.

France is pretty much the same in that regard except that there's way too meny suspicious characters in there and they've never had that unity or level of motivation when playing for NT.

Uruguay is the best team defensively with two class strikers upfront, but they lack that one player who would make the difference in transition on their counter-attacks. Although I can see them scraping through on set-piece goals.

Portugal plays the similar style to Uruguay, on some days Ronaldo can single-handedly win the game, but their defense looks suspicious.

As I wrote in that other topic, Belgium will get exposed against any top team. Brazil is a nightmare matchup for them.

England is in the same category as Belgium for me, it's just that they have a much easier potential opponents. But I can't see them getting to the final.

2 hours ago, noikeee said:

I'm seeing a good solid side but no world class winner players apart from Modric-Rakitic.

Good analysis except that I don't agree about Spain and this part stood out.
Mandžukić is one of the biggest winners in the tournament. Guy that always gets written off and yet scores for two different teams in CL finals.
He's not a world class striker, but he makes stuff happen out of nothing in his own way.
And as I wrote last night, trio up front has immense physical capacity and teams that are suspectable to making defensive mistakes will be punished, like Argentina.

Croatia's issue is potential bottling as everyone said and two guys in defense. Lovren and Strinić. They've had a very good tournament so far, but they're just that type of players that are expected to make a major f-up at some point.
If bottling issue is dealt with and the team continues performing, it's not any weaker than Spain.

From other teams, all of them obviously have their limitations, although Sweden/Switzerland/Denmark knocking out Croatia or England wouldn't be a surprise because those two are prone to having subpar performances when it matters the most.

Argentina is just terrible and only GOAT level performances from Messi can even give them a chance against France. Stil, it will probably be a routine win.

Colombia and Mexico also have their limitations, but unlike those 3 European teams, they can have their typical madness game and knock out almost anyone.

Japan will get destroyed, not much to add.

Thought Brazil before the tournament. Not seen anything to convince me otherwise. I think they're a well-coached team with enough quality to win them games. 

I have a feeling England will get to the final from the other side, though. There's something of Liverpool about what they're doing at this tournament. And they're the sort of team that will overrun Spain with pace and energy. 

But I don't think they can do that to Brazil, which is why I think Brazil will win.

I’ve always had Brazil down for winning this tournament. For me they have the best first 11 (slightly edging Spain) on paper. But as we all know football is magical, anything can happen from here onwards. Don’t be surprised to see a country such as Croatia or Uruguay go all the way! Maybe even ourselves.

There really isn't anyone left that you look at and think that they're heavy favourites to win.  The ones at the top are all a bit "yeah, but...".  Could be in for a very interesting set of games coming up, maybe even a new winner which would be nice.

Depends what Spain turn up. They've got so many great players with ridiculous pedigree that they are the sort of team that can amble to the semis looking really poor and getting hopes up, and then all of a sudden the entire XI just turn it on and start playing like it's 2012, with Iniesta doing all kinds.

Or they'll just get trampled over by the pace in England's team.

It has to be Brazil or Spain, or France a bit behind them.

Regarding Brazil, it will be interesting to see if the team can handle the pressure, they didn't in 2006, 2010 and 2014, but Tite is a very good coach, unlike decadent Parreira 2006 & Scolari 2014, and rubbish Dunga 2010.

11 minutes ago, PMLF said:

and rubbish Dunga 2010.

Why was Dunga rubbish?

Brazil really lacked offensive power in 2010 compared to previous tournaments and had much more talent in defense.
True that you guys are used to offensive football, but he did well considering the lack of talent.

If it wasn't for FenoMelo :D and his antics, Brazil would maybe claw back into that game.
And Netherlands went on all the way to the finals, so it's not like Brazil lost to some terrible team.

I really haven't got a clue. I've watched all of the games and there hasn't really been a team that has massively impressed me out of the "big" sides. I'd probably say Croatia and Belgium have been the most impressive so far, with France being solid enough defensively that they were never really in any danger of not qualifying - which you can't really say for any of Spain, Portugal or Argentina. Brazil have been fairly unimpressive, I can actually see Mexico or certainly Belgium beating them. 

So basically...

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why was Dunga rubbish?

Brazil really lacked offensive power in 2010 compared to previous tournaments and had much more talent in defense.
True that you guys are used to offensive football, but he did well considering the lack of talent.

If it wasn't for FenoMelo :D and his antics, Brazil would maybe claw back into that game.
And Netherlands went on all the way to the finals, so it's not like Brazil lost to some terrible team.

The problem is not the style, our style is counterattacking, not attacking, so Dunga was fine there.

But Dunga didn't know how to handle a squad and he had no plan B, it feels like he just made everyone nervous and anxious. And the squad was not so well selected.

And losing to the Dutch is fine, but we lost in part due to some silly errors, like Felipe Melo's and the squad fell apart mentally in the second half.

Bias says England

Heart says Croatia

Head says France :(

I've got a horrible feeling Les Bleu are going to go all the way without managing to keep anyone awake while they do so.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Was an even game in the first half. Then heavy rotations happened and Neymar's wondergoal decided it, pretty much.

A win is a win!

But you could have just mentioned it was a friendly! I think Brazil would win in the WC too, but it would certainly be a harder game than that friendly.

We have a bye to the Semi Finals...

Our Semi Final opponent will hardly be anyone to write home about.

We are then into the Final and we are UNBEATEN in World Cup Finals...UNBEATEN!

If I was a bookie id be paying out, its done, infact im not even going to watch the 3 games in-between as there is no need.

Time to get onboard

latest?cb=20170413002128

18 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

We have a bye to the Semi Finals...

Our Semi Final opponent will hardly be anyone to write home about.

We are then into the Final and we are UNBEATEN in World Cup Finals...UNBEATEN!

If I was a bookie id be paying out, its done, infact im not even going to watch the 3 games in-between as there is no need.

Time to get onboard

latest?cb=20170413002128

Spain. Why even bother showing up if you're a Spaniard :lol:

Really don't understand why Belgium is such a popular choice.

They've got a winger who nows plays in China as a wing-back, wing-back, one the most important positions in that system. As the only wide-man he will get isolated, defensively, at times. 

Boyata who started 3 games in 3 years at Man City/Twente. They desperately need Kompany back almost irrespective of his fitness. Even then they'd have little to no pace at the back.

And De Bruyne as one of the sitting midfielders. His technical quality is not in question but that position comes with so much more responsibility, defensively. Cesc and Bakayoko, arguably better defensively and/or have better positional qualities yet they don't cut it in a similar system and they have Kante next to them!

I'm not even fully convinced by Witsel the supposedly better defensive player.

Dembele in for Mertens would be a big help but I still think they're 5th/6th faves at most. 

23 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

Really don't understand why Belgium is such a popular choice.

They've got a winger who nows plays in China as a wing-back, wing-back, one the most important positions in that system. As the only wide-man he will get isolated, defensively, at times. 

Boyata who started 3 games in 3 years at Man City/Twente. They desperately need Kompany back almost irrespective of his fitness. Even then they'd have little to no pace at the back.

And De Bruyne as one of the sitting midfielders. His technical quality is not in question but that position comes with so much more responsibility, defensively. Cesc and Bakayoko, arguably better defensively and/or have better positional qualities yet they don't cut it in a similar system and they have Kante next to them!

I'm not even fully convinced by Witsel the supposedly better defensive player.

Dembele in for Mertens would be a big help but I still think they're 5th/6th faves at most. 

Not sure how you can bash KDB by saying Chelsea players can't do it. 

He's a City player. He played a high press all season, a back 3 is designed to help the midfield press high. The only problem with KDB in Belgium's system is that he's not used far forward enough at times. Like Martinez isn't letting him roam. But defensively he can do the job, he is great at closing down and tracking back, and perhaps the most underrated part of his game is his tackling. He's very capable for someone not often associated with that side of his game. It's one of the notable improvements to him game under Pep - he has become a very capable ball winner whilst retaining his obviously fantastic technical ability. And he's got amazing stamina, so you get great effort from him for 90 mins. 

Also not sure what relevance Boyata's record was for clubs he hasn't been at for 2 years now. He's not a great defender. He's very limited and prone to mistakes. But in the central position he can sweep using his speed and he has less of a focus on passing too - Martinez has played him in the position that covers his weaknesses. It's clever. 

But yes, Kompany is needed soon. For Brazil. If they go in with Boyata it could be disastrous defensively  (But Belgium can still outscore Brazil). 

5 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why was Dunga rubbish?

FenoMelo was a great midfielder. Very tenacious. Very strong. Never afraid to defend and get the ball.

34 minutes ago, JDownie said:

It's not just about De Bruyne, it's the whole team composition.

Carrasco is a lazy player. He couldn't play in Simeone's 4-4-2 and now he's supposed to do well with even more defensive responisbilities? Yeah, right.
Witsel is past his prime and was never a top class player. Also lacks bigger games because he's playing in China.
Good amount of De Bruyne's talent gets wasted with this lineup.
Hazard and Mertnes are also lazy and don't contribute in defense.
Lukaku tries, but isn't exactly a Costa/Mandžukić type player when it comes to defending.

Idk, but I've yet to see a game plan like Martinez's work on the biggest stage.
Very offensive gameplan with 3 man defense and lack of personnel to play high pressing to win the ball back quickly.

Now we get to what if area, but as I said, Nainggolan in place of Mertens would be a lot better. Or Dembele with De Bruyne higher up.
Competent wingback on the left would also help them a lot.

Archived