Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

I decided to give a go to the Beta.  One very simple question:  Does anybody noticed a difference in processing time (i.e. spacebar/continue)?  On my side, I felt that the process time is about 25 to 30% longer when I go on holiday inbetween games.  Am I the only one who felt that?  Anybody could try to reproduce?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Rien102 said:

I decided to give a go to the Beta.  One very simple question:  Does anybody noticed a difference in processing time (i.e. spacebar/continue)?  On my side, I felt that the process time is about 25 to 30% longer when I go on holiday inbetween games.  Am I the only one who felt that?  Anybody could try to reproduce?

mine seems ok

Seeing an enormous amount of long range goals . 4 in 2 matches from my team and 3 from the opposition all from outside the box . All goals were from 30-40 m away .

Edited by prot651

1 minute ago, prot651 said:

Seeing an enormous amount of long range goals . 4 in 2 matches from my team and 3 from the opposition all from outside the box . All goals were from 30-30 m away .

Might be worth logging this over a larger sample of games to see if it is a trend

Public Beta sounds great. It's good to see SI working with the community to optimise the game and hopefully they get some useful feedback and reports.

Eagerly awaiting the chance to see the ME changes on FMT!

10 minutes ago, thisana said:

Is Public Beta available for the demo?

or i have to wait.

Haven't bought the game yet. (still waiting for the right price :))

The demo is usually only updated in line with the full release version of the game.

2 hours ago, prot651 said:

Seeing an enormous amount of long range goals . 4 in 2 matches from my team and 3 from the opposition all from outside the box . All goals were from 30-40 m away .

Yep. It seems easier to score a 30 yard pile driver than a simple 1 v 1. Kessie has 9 goals in my game, mostly, from outside the box and each a contender for goal of the season. It'd be better if some of those goals could be shifted to Piatek who has missed countless simple 1v1s.

Is anyone finding that the 1v1s that are scored are often when the keeper saves the first poor attempt and the striker taps it into an empty net?

This manages to both ruin the assist stats and kill any joy in the goal.

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Might be worth logging this over a larger sample of games to see if it is a trend

It's definitely a trend. I'm turning a blind eye to it because they make up for all the missed 1v1s.

I'm half minded to start keeping my own stats where I discount these goals and up the goals for my strikers....

You might think that's bonkers (and it probably is) but one thing I try and do with my strikers is get them to beat records with the big target being Piola's 274 Serie A goals.

(I did this with FIFA and PES when DM's used to burst forward and score headers - I used to allocate the goals to my striker.....(yes I'm weird).

Still don't feel like players are following instructions, or that their actions are representative of their attributes or tactics.

BWM - short passing, take less risks: continues to drive 50 yard balls to either flank despite a player stood next to him.

Goals are still feel very attritional; set-piece, wing-back arriving late far post, or long-shot after some pinball.

There's very little incentive to sit deep. The game is essentially press high, box them in, then hope to score off a scramble after a series of aerial bombardment. 

Edited by dannyfc

6 hours ago, ArchieCourt said:

That 2nd goal is the stuff of dreams, can't wait to play this patch

Thnx. In both those highlights Target Man is the key guy. Really like how he gets involved and depending on situation they are really trying to give him good cross in also.
Feel that now ME more listens to input that i make in tactics. Also opponents are no push over, if i leave a cap then they will try to use it. Losing feels good also.

But there is still lot to try and see how ME reacts.

Played three friendly games, so far I am satisfied.

- Didn't see any long balls neither of me or my opponents, even though I push my DL to higher(and both my CB-s are on defend duty).

- No more high header shots long over the goal 

- Wide players are crossing more often (had one situation, where my wide player was chasing the ball and he immediately cross it with his weaker foot into box and my striker scores a goal, in previous ME my wide player would just stop the ball without breaking and the opponent would just pick the ball and there is counter attack for them)

- had only one 1 on 1 situation and it has been scored even though it was a little difficult angle

- And what I liked the most of this ME, is the variety of passing

2 hours ago, dannyfc said:

There's very little incentive to sit deep. The game is essentially press high, box them in, then hope to score off a scramble after a series of aerial bombardment. 

100% agree - I actually tested with a downloaded tactic last night (high line - counter press on - press more urgently) and my team suddenly turned into world beaters.  Pressing was overpowered anyway - now it's silly overpowered.  I'll keep testing over the weekend, but that made me disillusioned last night - a crazy tactic that shouldn't work with my average Serie C team turns me into a top of the table level side, but if I use mine (standard defensive line, lower LOE) and the oppo presses high, I've got zero chance.

7 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Just had this beauty - I've noticed a lot more variety in the types of goals scored, fewer one-on-ones but more being scored, passing in general, but especially passing rather than taking tight angle shots, more one twos, better crossing behaviour by wingers and fullbacks, better movement by centre backs, and a lot fewer over-the-top balls.

I really like this ME.

who were the teams playing here ?

42 minutes ago, duesouth said:

100% agree - I actually tested with a downloaded tactic last night (high line - counter press on - press more urgently) and my team suddenly turned into world beaters.  Pressing was overpowered anyway - now it's silly overpowered.  I'll keep testing over the weekend, but that made me disillusioned last night - a crazy tactic that shouldn't work with my average Serie C team turns me into a top of the table level side, but if I use mine (standard defensive line, lower LOE) and the oppo presses high, I've got zero chance.

I agree as well. I'm only about 11 games in with the Beta ME. I'm a tiny newly promoted side whos' squad after transfers is at best as good as it was last year. I'm predicted rightly to finish bottom in the new division. I play a risky high line with high pressing so I should expect to get punished with balls over the top but it's a risk tactically I decided to take. I also had a back up where I sat deeper and regrouped if it all got too much.

Instead of being stuck at the bottom of the table I'm joint top with the least conceded. My defenders weren't even the best when I got promoted the season before under the old ME. Now it's like Fort Knox at the back and it just doesn't feel right. I've not needed my more defensive tactic to grind results out.

I'm worried that the knock on effect of slightly improving 1 on 1's (which I didn't have a major issue with to be honest), and reducing the amount of balls over the top even when playing a tactic that should be punished by them, is an easier game. Admittedly a small sample so far so will crack on and give it a chance.

Edited by Peljam

5 hours ago, prot651 said:

I had a cup game, both clubs were Scottish Highland League clubs.  The opponent's goal in regular time was a shot from at least 30 yards, and my goal was a 25 yard free kick, in which the ball swerved like it was kicked by Roberto Carlos.

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

My gegenpress tactic has turned to poop with the beta patch.  My team have forgotten how to perform, let alone win. 

17 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I had a cup game, both clubs were Scottish Highland League clubs.  The opponent's goal in regular time was a shot from at least 30 yards, and my goal was a 25 yard free kick, in which the ball swerved like it was kicked by Roberto Carlos.

Well better report them if those keep happening. This is our chance to make a difference.

15 hours ago, Welshace said:

Hi.. if you read up even just a little bit in this thread.. you will see that there is a public beta out .. download it and see if anything improves for you..

Thanks, didn`t see it. I am not sure I will try this BETA, this job should have been done by SI some months ago  not after 2 months since the release of the game and this happening each year... What I also find quite strange is how SI people feel somehow irritated by people complaining about a product they bought and which isn`t working properly and this happening once again each year.

In my opinion (as someone who is buying the game since 2005) this politic and this way of developing Football Manager could get to the end of the series, because right now I am really thinking if I would buy FM21 since each year is the same story and as a player the only thing you get is frustration instead of joy and pleasure playing the game. And as I saw, I am not the only one who is thinking twice now about buying the next game.

I really hope that things will change somehow (maybe better testers and longer testing period before releasing the game).

I have sympathy with SI, not everyone can be pleased. It's impossible everyone wants something different from the ME. 

Last few posts talking about the gegen press tactic which we all know has been overpowering since FM 18 I purposely avoid using as to me it feels like I'm cheating. Unfortunately other tactics just aren't anywhere near as affective so takes a lot to get a 442 or a low tempo tikka takka to work. Even a sit deep counter rarely gets results. 

42 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

My gegenpress tactic has turned to poop with the beta patch.  My team have forgotten how to perform, let alone win. 

There goes my theory!

I went away for a long weekend, so of course the Beta was updated........

Mixed bag of responses so far although the general consensus is improvement over the current ME. 

Question, is the player keeping the ball in play for his opponent whilst running past it still present?????

Edited by janrzm

Just now, janrzm said:

I went away for a long weekend, so of course the Beta was updated........

Mixed bag of responses so far although the general consensus is improvement over the current ME. 

Question, is the player keeping the ball in play for his opponent whilst running past it still present?????

I haven't seen it in the 3 games i played. Players react quicker to keep the ball at their feet rather than leave it to the opposition. 

18 minutes ago, styluz05 said:

I have sympathy with SI, not everyone can be pleased. It's impossible everyone wants something different from the ME. 

Last few posts talking about the gegen press tactic which we all know has been overpowering since FM 18 I purposely avoid using as to me it feels like I'm cheating. Unfortunately other tactics just aren't anywhere near as affective so takes a lot to get a 442 or a low tempo tikka takka to work. Even a sit deep counter rarely gets results. 

Well I'm sure not everyone can be please with the bang um in from way outside scoring for every goal that I'm seeing . 

43 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

Well better report them if those keep happening. This is our chance to make a difference.

Given I'm using a custom database there's probably no point in reporting. If I was playing the fully official DB and at a low level I would. 

6 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Well I'm sure not everyone can be please with the bang um in from way outside scoring for every goal that I'm seeing . 

Might just be tactical with some people. I just checked my goal locations from the last ten games (which is pretty much where I started with the beta) and I've got 8 goals from inside the six yard box, another fourteen from within the penalty area, one from outside the penalty area and one really long distance belter. Conceded only four so far, all from inside the penalty box. 

Oud-Heverlee Leuven_ Goals.png

24 minutes ago, janrzm said:

Yes that's still happening. If you want to add any examples, the thread is here:

Edited by Tiger666

18 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Yes that's still happening. If you want to add any examples, the thread is here:

From what I've seen it's far less prominent though, and mostly a case of attacking players trying to keep the ball in play (which is fine in my opinion). 

Has anyone had problems (generally speaking) with sponsorship contracts not being renewed or improved? I'm currently managing in Belgium, have won the league 3 times which means I always qualify for the group stage of the CL but I've never gotten a continental sponsorship. I also won the Euro Cup once but despite the reputation boost, I'm not getting any new contracts and one I did have was not renewed last season. Might be because it's a beta save but it still strikes me as odd..

Still seeing a ton of shots on target between both teams almost every game. Strikers still finishing worse than sunday league players when squared in front of goal. The 1v1s are happening less, but as I said, finishing still horrendous. Probably by design considering the amounts of shots every game should result in every game ending 3-3.

Also, still a TON of missed penalties.

Yes, this is on the beta patch. I hardly see any improvement to realism.

Edited by yandex

37 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Has anyone had problems (generally speaking) with sponsorship contracts not being renewed or improved? I'm currently managing in Belgium, have won the league 3 times which means I always qualify for the group stage of the CL but I've never gotten a continental sponsorship. I also won the Euro Cup once but despite the reputation boost, I'm not getting any new contracts and one I did have was not renewed last season. Might be because it's a beta save but it still strikes me as odd..

Yes. I started with Brondby in the best league in Denmark. They start with sponsorships for £6 millions. After the first season it went to £6.25 millions for a few years. Suddenly I was down to £3 millions. Now to £3.4 millions. But slicing 50% I didn't expect

6 minutes ago, yandex said:

Still seeing a ton of shots on target between both teams almost every game. Strikers still finishing worse than sunday league players when squared in front of goal. The 1v1s are happening less, but as I said, finishing still horrendous. Probably by design considering the amounts of shots every game should result in every game ending 3-3.

Also, still a TON of missed penalties.

Yes, this is on the beta patch. I hardly see any improvement to realism.

What sort of numbers are you talking about here? How many shots is a "ton of shots". If you really believe there is a problem then provide examples.

I've only played one match since the update. It was a diabolical affair, and was a tale of poor finishing, but it's hard to have any real thoughts after one match.

Basically, it is all well and good saying things are bad, but how does anyone know for sure if you provide no examples? Be constructive.

4 minutes ago, anagain said:

What sort of numbers are you talking about here? How many shots is a "ton of shots". If you really believe there is a problem then provide examples.

I've only played one match since the update. It was a diabolical affair, and was a tale of poor finishing, but it's hard to have any real thoughts after one match.

Basically, it is all well and good saying things are bad, but how does anyone know for sure if you provide no examples? Be constructive.

From 6 games in the Championship these are the shots on target between the teams:

7-6

4-7

15-7

8-9

11-5

6-6

Edited by yandex

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

3 minutes ago, KVJ92 said:

Yes. I started with Brondby in the best league in Denmark. They start with sponsorships for £6 millions. After the first season it went to £6.25 millions for a few years. Suddenly I was down to £3 millions. Now to £3.4 millions. But slicing 50% I didn't expect

Please raise it here and our finances team can investigate - https://community.sigames.com/forum/724-all-other-gameplay/

If you have a save game prior to the 'new' sponsorship appearing it'd be extremely useful for the team. Details on how to upload a save game (remember to let us know the file name) here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2020/238_how-to/241_pc/how-to-upload-files-for-support-r847/

Thanks. 

Just now, Neil Brock said:

Please raise it here and our finances team can investigate - https://community.sigames.com/forum/724-all-other-gameplay/

If you have a save game prior to the 'new' sponsorship appearing it'd be extremely useful for the team. Details on how to upload a save game (remember to let us know the file name) here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2020/238_how-to/241_pc/how-to-upload-files-for-support-r847/

Thanks. 

I have previously uploaded a file for the same savegame - Can that be used if I find the name I gave the file? If yes, I can raise it in the thread. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, yandex said:

From 6 games in the Championship these are the shots on target between the teams:

7-6

4-7

15-7

8-6

11-5

6-6

Raise it here please with examples and the match team can investigate - https://community.sigames.com/forum/749-public-beta-match-engine/

Thanks. 

Is anyone experiencing hold up striker play to be very ineffective?

I'm using the same formation as before the beta patch - 4-1-2-2-1 advanced wingers and DLF with attack mentality - but when a ball is knocked forward to my DLF he just tries to head it past the defender rather than try to bring his own teammates in to play.

I'll keep watching it, as this is only the second match I've played since the update. Just thought I'd garner other's thoughts.

3 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

As Var is purely a ME mechanic, has anyone noticed a different outcome to the usual with this beta? 

Unfortunately not. It's always outside the box, it's always a penalty and it's always a disallowed goal when VAR is used. I've not seen any other outcome in the 20+ seasons I've played so far.

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, KVJ92 said:

I have previously uploaded a file for the same savegame - Can that be used if I find the name I gave the file? If yes, I can raise it in the thread. 

Yeah that's fine if you just give a rough date of when you uploaded it as well, just in case there's a file with the same name. 

Went for the beta last night due to frustrations already listed on this thread, and I am happy so far.

My team is playing pretty much how I set them up and scoring a variety of goals for fun (Rangers v Scottish teams so that's as it should be). It just looks and feels so much better. Overlapping, crossing, through balls, 1 on 1's, all improved. Great work SI.

One small observation is that there seems to me a marked increase in processing times along with load/save times, could just be me but definitely feels longer.

2 minutes ago, Koffing said:

*Recalculations regarding clear-cut chances*

ccc.thumb.png.5c028a3c8d26daef05c3eca0d0c0e3e6.png

If you believe clear cut chances are still not being calculated correctly, please report it in the beta forum and provide PKMs and some times for when it is deemed to be a CCC in-game but shouldn't be for the matches in question, so it can be looked at.

Only played 3 games last night, initial impressions were a lot better than before. Still seeing penalties being taken low but only saw a handful, will have a look over the weekend if I get chance & upload PKMs if necessary 

1 hour ago, anagain said:

Is anyone experiencing hold up striker play to be very ineffective?

I'm using the same formation as before the beta patch - 4-1-2-2-1 advanced wingers and DLF with attack mentality - but when a ball is knocked forward to my DLF he just tries to head it past the defender rather than try to bring his own teammates in to play.

I'll keep watching it, as this is only the second match I've played since the update. Just thought I'd garner other's thoughts.

Currently playing with a false nine and he's pretty much doing as expected, dropping deep and when available in the box quite often one touch laying it back to people on the edge of the area who are in a better position to shoot at goal. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks. 

Will do tonight Neil, thanks! I should have a save from somewhere before in one of my rolling saves I hope. If not I'll play until the end of the season and create a backup save then so they can see the sponsorship not being renewed then (and no continental sponsorship coming in).