Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

52 minutes ago, isco22 said:

sure and i just start winning all of a sudden because i became a fenomenal couch, and my rival starts losing just the right amount so i can overtake them because their couch lost the ability to react to circumstances.

i didnt start playing fm with this game, in fact i had 2019 pretty much figured out, i used to win the champions league frequently with a team like porto.

this one is clearly fixed, even when i win i feel like i did because i was suposed to. what happens save after save is obvious, it's allways the same pattern, the same things happening in the same order. i dont mind losing, or feeling the game is extra hard, the thing is that isnt the case...theres clearly a defined ''journey'' , it is all but ''organic'', and it's obvious as hell. 

you're going to tell me of course that those red cards changing the course of the most important games are allways occuring by chance, 90+ goals allways occuring in the same kind of games are also by chance...one big coincidence. another one is people still paying money for this.

I can only repeat that the game is not fixed- each game is calculated based on a large number of changeable parameters

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, I played 15 games and  1x1 is still far, far from ideal, it is so frustrating...players like Messi, Suarez can't score 1x1s.

Good:

- I saw improvements in the pass, through balls.

Bad:

- 1x1

- Player carry and stop the ball on the touchline then forgot to brake.

this is too much for me....i will stop playing until the Final Match Engine Changes update be release.

I hope you can fix these things, good luck. 

1 hour ago, higofagundes said:

- Player carry and stop the ball on the touchline then forgot to brake.

yeh the ones where they stop ball on touchline but the player go out of the pitch is so damn annoying, concede so many goals on the break like this.

my feedback a about 6 games in on the beta patch 

defending still is very poor, i think someone needs to watch games to see how defenders play especially world class defenders. world class defending doesnt exist in the game yet.

gegen press. this one exhausts me ever since it started. watch a team like liverpool and watch how it works. it is not 5 players pressing the same ball leaving gaping holes in the pitch. its about 1 man pressing the player in front of him intensivley. its about pressing as a team so the team sees the picture in front of them and presses even before the pass is played. in the game the press just leaves holes everywhere.

i also cant undertsand why the player running stopping the ball then carrying on running thing cant be ironed out. it just doesnt happen in reality it looks silly and isnt football but its been around forever.

some good things happening but liitle tweaks and we could have the best me yet, lets get that defence and the pressing sorted 

On 17/01/2020 at 10:26, janrzm said:

I went away for a long weekend, so of course the Beta was updated........

Mixed bag of responses so far although the general consensus is improvement over the current ME. 

Question, is the player keeping the ball in play for his opponent whilst running past it still present?????

yep still there dont think that will ever be fixed

to be honest maybe there is slight improvemetn but I cant score more then 2 goals to save my life. Sure maybe 1on1 are slightly better but then you create far less from those 

My players are still shotting 15/16 times failing to score i have tried adjusting tactic so I am restarting the same 3 games over and over till i got things slightly right and no matter what I do i cant score more hten 2. I dominate etc but still a lot of incosistency

I think since wingers players more as wigners now and they try to cross now I am missing gazilion of headers but since the meta was no heading before from ur players all my players are bad at this department 

2 minutes ago, Toshef said:

to be honest maybe there is slight improvemetn but I cant score more then 2 goals to save my life. Sure maybe 1on1 are slightly better but then you create far less from those 

My players are still shotting 15/16 times failing to score i have tried adjusting tactic so I am restarting the same 3 games over and over till i got things slightly right and no matter what I do i cant score more hten 2. I dominate etc but still a lot of incosistency

I think since wingers players more as wigners now and they try to cross now I am missing gazilion of headers but since the meta was no heading before from ur players all my players are bad at this department 

what team are you

28 minutes ago, fm2020.smith said:

gegen press. this one exhausts me ever since it started. watch a team like liverpool and watch how it works. it is not 5 players pressing the same ball leaving gaping holes in the pitch. its about 1 man pressing the player in front of him intensivley. its about pressing as a team so the team sees the picture in front of them and presses even before the pass is played. in the game the press just leaves holes everywhere.

And Liverpool also do not use team tactics just go press and be done with it. They have individual introductions what positions or who to press - this can be done in FM. It is just base tactic for your entire team. Use it as base not set in stone.

Only thing for me that annoys a bit, is not the directly with the pressing, but more with tactics intensity. If this is high, because of pressing or anything else, players should be exhausted much more. It sometimes feel like having 10 James Millers running around and even he cant keep it up like most in FM can.

I don't know if I'm wrong but I think when we are questioned on a press conference about the interest of another manager in one of our player and I say I'm open to sell him it doesn't change anything, I think we should have a better interaction in this point.

1 hour ago, fm2020.smith said:

what team are you

I am Bolton but 8th seasons in so its not the typical Bolton team I finished second last year but I doubt I can do it again

I am finding more positives now then negatives the engine is better it still a long way off but I think its improvement and the unpredactability of it makes the game harder which is very enjoyable. Frustrating but enjoyable I mean In f19 i would have been champion already without troubles. Now I have to fight hard for the title I dont think I can do it this year or next. I lack depth and maybe more mature players I have a lot of youngsters.

Edited by Toshef

My feedback after 14 games, for what it's worth. Much improved. Like, massively. Players will actually square the ball now;hoofs over the top are vastly reduced; one on ones much more realistic in terms off chances converted. My only real criticism beyond the whole stopping the ball going out and losing possession business and which has been acknowledged, is that I'm conceding a lot of pens. A lot. I'd say 7, in 14 games? Is anyone else experiencing this? Or is it just my hatchet Leeds side?

3 minutes ago, faust405245 said:

My feedback after 14 games, for what it's worth. Much improved. Like, massively. Players will actually square the ball now;hoofs over the top are vastly reduced; one on ones much more realistic in terms off chances converted. My only real criticism beyond the whole stopping the ball going out and losing possession business and which has been acknowledged, is that I'm conceding a lot of pens. A lot. I'd say 7, in 14 games? Is anyone else experiencing this? Or is it just my hatchet Leeds side?

Yes I think my penalty conceded stat has gone up since the beta. I'm also conceding more from corners but also seeing less headers over the bar so I'm assuming heading has been given a boost which is welcome.

Edited by Tiger666

7 hours ago, isco22 said:

sure and i just start winning all of a sudden because i became a fenomenal couch, and my rival starts losing just the right amount so i can overtake them because their couch lost the ability to react to circumstances.

i didnt start playing fm with this game, in fact i had 2019 pretty much figured out, i used to win the champions league frequently with a team like porto.

this one is clearly fixed, even when i win i feel like i did because i was suposed to. what happens save after save is obvious, it's allways the same pattern, the same things happening in the same order. i dont mind losing, or feeling the game is extra hard, the thing is that isnt the case...theres clearly a defined ''journey'' , it is all but ''organic'', and it's obvious as hell. 

you're going to tell me of course that those red cards changing the course of the most important games are allways occuring by chance, 90+ goals allways occuring in the same kind of games are also by chance...one big coincidence. another one is people still paying money for this.

Well I've just started the beta and 'sofa' so good.

I'll get my coat.

Blackpool season 3 after back to back promotions and now a number of games in with the beta and while its good there is a reduction in clear cut chances 1 on 1s still a little iffy, while 40 yard thunderbolt shots much easier to score

Goalkeepers have now become stupid again like last year,

Anyone in the AM/AP/SS role is irrelevent still as no matter what tactic is used they do nothing,

defenders still brain dead, heading the ball back into play when can leave it still heavily present and now 4 players want to run after the same player like schoolboys

Encourage/Concentrate still have no effect other than annoy players.

Goals in first min of each half still through the roof

EDIT: I'll add passing seems worse now, so many passing errors

Edited by Tangerine_Army

I mean sorry I will wait for the next patch. Played 3 more games same old story 30 shots unbeliavable misses

Since the season was fresh with the patch goalscorers in top leagues

Premier League 13 games played Top scorer 7 goals

Spanish La Liga 13 games played top scorer 6 goals

Italy Seria A 12 games palyed top scorer 5 goals 

Bundesliga 11 games played top scorer 6 goals

The only one where things are ok is France when in 13 games Mbappe has 10 but its france and Mbappe

I cant deal with this I mean opponents catch me on a counter or stupid cross score a goal then I cant do for 40 shots... 

I am out I am destroying my nerves

4 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

Agree-  but it's not just fitness but also uniform levels discipline and tactical awareness as well.

It should take a lot longer to design and implement a true gegenpress tactic really. Every team in the world wants to play this way, but it takes the right players and months/years of training to make it successful.

If you've just taken over a non-league side, switching on 'Gegenpress' should result in a mix of messy team shape, certain players ignoring it entirely, and the rest gassed after 30 minutes. To properly implement it you should be reliant on first getting in the right players with high work-rate/teamwork, slowly building tactical familiarity through training and match-time,  and only then should it come together and resemble an effective tactic. At the moment it doesn't seem relevant whether your Dulwich Hamlet or Liverpool.

That's my main problem with FM at the moment, I don't feel player attributes and tactical decisions correlate enough to what actually happens on the pitch. Visibly being able to see the difference between different playing styles would be much more immersive and rewarding. 

In my currently Bromley team I've got a highly technical CM with good vision/passing, and an absolute clogger with huge work-ethic but Sunday league technical ability. Without the player names/numbers in the ME I honestly don't think I could distinguish them in terms of passing range and ability. 

Overall I get the sense the match engine is 'restrained' to give realistic results/statistics at the expense of any team or player individuality. I see very little difference in terms of ability or playing styles, and it's just the same patterns of play with varying levels of effectiveness. Yes, the better more cohesive team will more likely win, but it's in the  exact same manner up and down the pyramid with no distinguishable features. Just makes the game feel a bit dull and lifeless in comparison to the older ones. 

That’s not true that every team in the world wants to play this way. Liverpool don’t really play that way anymore either. People are confusing counter pressing with gegen-pressing; the latter being klopps particular way of incorporating counter pressing as  defensive/transitional part of a is style of football,  which he’s actually changed somewhat anyway. 

For example, Liverpool, Juventus and Man City all counter press as part of a defensive/transitional strategy, but it’s 3 different overall styles of play

Certainly when I play in the premier league and Europe, teams can play very differently to each other

Doesn't seem to be many goals about on the public beta?

Just looked at the Bundesliga 1/2/3 and the top scorers are on 66, 45 and 49 goals after 27 games. 

Seems low to me. 

By comparison, from a quick search the top scorers overall in real life last season from these divisions finished on 88, 84 and 71. 

Edited by craigcwwe

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Doesn't seem to be many goals about in this version? 

Just looked at the Bundesliga 1/2/3 and the top scorers are on 66, 45 and 49 goals after 27 games. 

Seems low to me. 

By comparison, from a quick search the top scorers overall in real life last season from these divisions were on 88, 84 and 71. 

Premier League 13 games played Top scorer 7 goals

Spanish La Liga 13 games played top scorer 6 goals

Italy Seria A 12 games palyed top scorer 5 goals 

Bundesliga 11 games played top scorer 6 goals

Goals are very hard to score :) I mean the conversion rate of CCS is slightly better not by much still we are long way off... Its really frustrating especially when u are the dominating team cuz opponents seem to be always able to score one goal and then its an uphill battle

I think situation is even worse in term of goals In premier league the average goal per game from a single team is 1.1 

Everybody below top 10 has less then 14 goals in 13 games . I am 4th in goals scored with 23 in 13 games and I just won 5:0 against the last. Chelsea has 12 games in 13 games. Arsenal has scored 20 goals in 13 games. I think the only team thats scoring reasonalbe ammouth is Liverpool they have 13 wins in a row with 28 goals in 13 games.. Conversion rate is below 10% for every team with most having 5/or6%

40 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

That’s not true that every team in the world wants to play this way. Liverpool don’t really play that way anymore either. People are confusing counter pressing with gegen-pressing; the latter being klopps particular way of incorporating counter pressing as  defensive/transitional part of a is style of football,  which he’s actually changed somewhat anyway. 

For example, Liverpool, Juventus and Man City all counter press as part of a defensive/transitional strategy, but it’s 3 different overall styles of play

Certainly when I play in the premier league and Europe, teams can play very differently to each other

Maybe my terminology is over simplistic - but then again I don't think FM is sophisticated enough to represent all the different types of pressing you've outlined. 

I was using Gengenpress as a byword for a 'high counter-pressing' system essentially. My point is while it's difficult to implement in real life, this isn't well represented in FM and most if not all teams can play this way regardless of attributes in work-rate, teamwork and fitness . 

3 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

Maybe my terminology is over simplistic - but then again I don't think FM is sophisticated enough to represent all the different types of pressing you've outlined. 

I was using Gengenpress as a byword for a 'high counter-pressing' system essentially. My point is while it's difficult to implement in real life, this isn't well represented in FM and most if not all teams can play this way regardless of attributes in work-rate, teamwork and fitness . 

FM isn't as sophisticated as real life defensively, but you can absolutely represent, low, middle, high blocks, split blocks, funnelling attacks into certain areas. 

Lots of teams actually counter press in real life, most do not counter press as intently as Liverpool or City do.  Most teams in FM do not counter press hard either tbh, and you can definitely see the difference between Wolves say, in game, and Man City in game 

Some teams are better than others at pulling it off/bypassing counter press. It's certainly not perfect but it's pretty decent. 

But the detail for this is more for the tactical threads

1 hour ago, Tangerine_Army said:

Anyone in the AM/AP/SS role is irrelevent still as no matter what tactic is used they do nothing,

I'm not finding this at all, playing the Johnny Ace Classic 4-2-3-1 , only 5 games in but Muller as AM(S) has 6 in 5 for me, 3 were left footed long rangers which I thought was odd but I'll take that

I'm seeing some nice, slick football on this update but I want to get a fair few more games under my FM belt before I start moaning :D

Edited by Johnny Ace

Is it just me, or is there a major lack of central play? My midfielders often opt for swinging the ball out wide to my full backs instead of making short line breaking passes. Every match, I end up with my full backs making more passes than my playmakers which gets rather frustrating.

Edited by anindyarajan19

Just now, anindyarajan19 said:

Is it just me, or is there a major lack of central play? My midfielders often opt for swinging the ball out wide to my full backs instead of making short line breaking passes. Every match, I and up with my full backs making more passes than my playmakers which gets rather frustrating.

11 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Lack of central play is even more evident on the public beta. 70% of my games see us try and play down the flanks when I'm not wanting my attacks to be so wing heavy. 

There is a lack of central play since the launch of FM19, but people weren't as vocal then, so there we have it - it's even worse in FM20 which in a way makes me happy because at least now SI can aknowledge it and improve it.

Few bits of feedback: (I've played a season and a half for testing - East Fife Scot Div 2 and Scot Div 1)

PROS:

- No more over the top passes

- Some really good goals scored, however most of them are outside the box or from corners.

- Penalty finishing is much improved.

CONS:

- I'm getting around 40+ fouls per game and 5 yellow cards+ with a formation that doesn't use Get stuck in or hard tackling? (is that normal? I don't think it is.)

- I'm conceding an awful, awful lot of penalties. Must be nearly one per game at least.

- It's very hard with any team to get a result away from home. I actually went up with East Fife but it was a chore half the time away from home.

- Probably the one I've noticed the most, regardless of time I've spent looking at formations. Working up the field is an effort. Pass and move is an effort. My formation was perfectly trained in all positions and fluid. However I watch the opponents and they can combine moves and work up the field very quickly and it looks easy to do so. Teams who I take control of, it's very hard to work up the field, it doesn't feel comfortable, they don't feel happy trying to do that. It's VERY EASY for them to pass backwards, it s very easy to play their way forwards out of their own box but then when you move back into normal play and it's general passing, no team I've managed, regardless of level looks comfortable. 

- The timing of crossing on the game is poor. They don't pull the trigger to cross when it looks on, it's usually the last resort when all other options have been used up, and that option is 9 out of 10... the easy pass back. Which is the problem with most of the moves you try to setup. My team is very happy to pass backwards and looks very fluid and comfortable, passing forward not so much.

- As has just been added. There's basically no central play now in the game. Playing in midfield rarely happens. Most attacks are:

1. Defensive errors - majority of goals.
  2. Defensive misreads 
  3. Outside the box shots are very OP
  4. Penalties
  5. Corners

I've very rarely scored a goal from open play, but I've conceded a lot from open play. I still maintain that Off the ball/Positioning as an attribute has far more of an effect than people give it credit for. These need to be really high it feels like just to cover for the issues around defending in the game, but very few players except for the top teams can consistently get these types of players, which means most matches are a free for all. (You are likely to lose them)

It really does feel like a game where unless you are a world class side, it's not an enjoyable experience and not much will work.

Regards,

Wendigo7

Edited by Courage89

I am seeing a lot of really poor finishing from headers in the box. My forward players just can not hit the target with their head. They always seem to get under the ball, and it goes flying over the bar, or they skew it well wide.

I don't know if this is universal, or just me and my tactic.

In all the time I have put in to FM20 I have not seen as many missed headers in the box as I have been seeing in the 6 or so games I've played with the beta patch.

I just wanted to voice my thoughts on this before I think about whether this needs a bug report. Finishing, I feel, is down in this patch, but the shots on target to shots taken is actually very realistic in my opinion. I just feel that the number of attempts that are headers and then missed is far too high in number.

8 dakika önce, anagain said:

I am seeing a lot of really poor finishing from headers in the box. My forward players just can not hit the target with their head. They always seem to get under the ball, and it goes flying over the bar, or they skew it well wide.

In all the time I have put in to FM20 I have not seen as many missed headers in the box as I have been seeing in the 6 or so games I've played with the beta patch.

I just wanted to voice my thoughts on this before I think about whether this needs a bug report. Finishing, I feel, is down in this patch, but the shots on target to shots taken is actually very realistic in my opinion. I just feel that the number of attempts that are headers and then missed is far too high in number.

Not the case for me, at least for now. Just scored a header while reading this from my second screen...

Talking about beta patch btw

Edited by Burhan

5 minutes ago, anagain said:

Was reported as a bug a month ago. States its under review.

Edited by Tiger666

3 minutes ago, Burhan said:

Not the case for me, at least for now. Just scored a header while reading this from my second screen...

Okay, must be a tactical thing, or my player's ability with their heads. It did surprise me to notice that my winger, who had scored many with his head, had a heading ability of 1.

Contrary to what I said, above, I would rather the game be true to life. Frustrating to see so many chance sail over the bar though, hehe.

1 dakika önce, anagain said:

Okay, must be a tactical thing, or my player's ability with their heads. It did surprise me to notice that my winger, who had scored many with his head, had a heading ability of 1.

Contrary to what I said, above, I would rather the game be true to life. Frustrating to see so many chance sail over the bar though, hehe.

It's known issue with the stable version, but things are better on public beta if you haven't jumped on it yet...

2 minutes ago, Burhan said:

It's known issue with the stable version, but things are better on public beta if you haven't jumped on it yet...

I dont agree I am missing tons of headers and barerly scoring at all with tall players and good heading ability. I mean sure sometimes we score a header but considering there are 10 such chances per game cuz no central play I find it awful

9 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Was reported as a bug a month ago. States its under review.

Interesting. I notice that bug report is from back in December though. I wasn't noticing this until this patch though.

2 minutes ago, Burhan said:

I am on the beta patch. Hadn't really considered it an issue in the stable version.

I'll play a few more matches later and see how it's going. If it carries on as bad as I'm seeing it I'll update the bug thread linked by tiger.

3 dakika önce, Toshef said:

I dont agree I am missing tons of headers and barerly scoring at all with tall players and good heading ability. I mean sure sometimes we score a header but considering there are 10 such chances per game cuz no central play I find it awful

Maybe you are right, I played like 10 games or so, need to see more before I decide. Only issue I'm experiencing is winger dribbles (kinda happy with it but...) and many tackles...

28 minutes ago, Courage89 said:

It really does feel like a game where unless you are a world class side, it's not an enjoyable experience and not much will work.

I've now played 3 months in game and thrown a bunch of different tactics into the mix.  My overall opinion is that while some things are better, the point mentioned above is something I 100% agree with... to a point.  The point being that if you use an exploit tactic.  In that case you win big.

Before I got FM19, I was still playing CM03/04.  I remember an exploit tactic for that (think it was called diablo where the defence parted like the Red Sea for the CM to score).  That was patched to stop it.  This beta seems like it's been patched to make the exploit tactics work.  I had a sensible, balanced 4-1-2-2-1 (got some help from Experienced Defender with it, so not like I think it's great when it's not) - and against teams better than me - and even similar/worse teams who press high, I can't get a kick.  I would have no idea of 1 on 1's in those games as even with shorter passing, I'm in the 20's possession % wise.  I tested reloading a game I lost with that tactic 3-0 - plugged in a knap 4-1-2-2-1 - high line, much higher LOE, pressing ext urgent, get stuck in - crazy stuff that shouldn't work with an average Serie C team - and I won 5-1 - away from home against a team who was 3rd.

It's almost like we need 2 versions of the game - one for the exploit tactics - and one for those of us who want to try to put together our own tactics.

Central defenders look better - but full backs are still defending poorly - when someone runs at them, the attacker almost skates past them like it's Eastside Hockey or something and the full back's feet are locked in the ice.  Indeed - the wingers might be too overpowered - as they often get too far ahead of play, and crosses are pull backs.  Outside of set pieces (which are overpowered), I've not seen one headed goal from a cross.  Goal kicks don't resemble real football at all - they are either over the attackers head and turned over, or perfect passes to the attacker, who always seems to be in space - no headed contested balls like you would see in every game.  Even keeping 3 back for attacking set pieces, I felt vulnerable to counters - running with the ball is overpowered.  It's end to end stuff - break neck stuff - even with a cautious, control possession tactic.

So, thanks for trying SI - but that's a hard no from me.  I know I'm swimming against the tide, but that's my honest opinion.  I'll opt out of the public beta and hope this doesn't get officially launched.

Now this is a big improvement from previous versions of the ME - despite Cervi dribbling into a decent position to shoot (and I wouldn't have begrudged him if he did try to score), he saw his teammate was open in an even better position and threaded a pass through to Pizzi. Very impressive. Defending leaves a bit to be desired though ;) 

2 hours ago, fm2020.smith said:

there seems to be a bug with the responsibilities of staff. i switch all transfers on all teams to be decided by me but the loan manager keeps loaning players. i turn him off and he gets turned back on again 

That's a known bug that SI have acknowledged, but the public beta patch is 90+% for the match engine, so there will likely be fixes for non-ME related issues in the completed patch.

45 minutes ago, Toshef said:

There is more to it than just being a tall player with good heading ability though. He needs to be in a good position, ideally not under pressure of a defender, timing needs to be right, he needs to make the right choice where to head it, etc. And that's not to mention that the cross also has to be perfect. If it's a little too high, low or far, good luck getting your header on target. :)

At least in my game the beta has worsened the goal conversion of strikers....in my previous season my striker was top goalscorer with 20+ goals and afte 6 matches with the new beta he has scored none...

This is by far the least enjoyable football manager I played in years...everything is a struggle...

Edited by lzab