Round of 16: Colombia v England (19:00 BST ITV1)

Just finished reading all 28 pages :D

Amazing. My heart couldn't take it. Never thought I'd see England win a shootout in my lifetime. Speechless. Congrats guys.

Home Status:
[ X ] Coming
[    ] Not Coming

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cms186 said:

2 of the 5 takers arent starters

Southgate on the takers: "Our list of five takers altered because of the changes we made but we had some young players who showed resilience under pressure. We have practiced enough, we have been through a process and we were in control of that. I felt so confident in the players, even after the first one was saved, because we knew we would save one of theirs."

So yeah, guess I was wrong.

People criticising Southgate and the changes/lateness of the changes and I don't disagree, but the mentality he's bred into this squad is incredible and I think the system, overall, has worked. I don't get people saying we played poorly, we were the better team for a huge portion of the game, Colombia had, what, 20 minutes where they looked better?

Southgate has done a very good job so far.

6 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Southgate on the takers: "Our list of five takers altered because of the changes we made but we had some young players who showed resilience under pressure. We have practiced enough, we have been through a process and we were in control of that. I felt so confident in the players, even after the first one was saved, because we knew we would save one of theirs."

People criticising Southgate and the changes/lateness of the changes and I don't disagree, but the mentality he's bred into this squad is incredible and I think the system, overall, has worked. I don't get people saying we played poorly, we were the better team for a huge portion of the game, Colombia had, what, 20 minutes where they looked better?

Columbia were the better team after Dier came on in Normal time and the first half of extra time, imo (basically when they stopped trying to be ***** and actually tried to play the game), the Dier change was a bad mistake, we should have brought on RLC or Rashford with that sub

Going to add a 'big up' for Trippier,  Did not see his performances coming and someone else having an unbelievable tourney.  Look composed, great delivery from set pieces and whacked in a top corner pen.  His transfer value alongside Maguire's must be rocketing.

8 minutes ago, cms186 said:

Columbia were the better team after Dier came on in Normal time and the first half of extra time, imo (basically when they stopped trying to be ***** and actually tried to play the game), the Dier change was a bad mistake, we should have brought on RLC or Rashford with that sub

Dier was rubbish, but the logical solution to hold on to a lead at the time. Why would we replace a midfielder with a striker to defend a one goal lead? 

tbh, apart from a Walker error and the sort of speculative 35 yard shot you only take in the second minute of injury time when you're winning or playing really, really badly, Colombia did nothing until they scored. The first half of extra time was all about confidence rather than personnel too (although they can't afford to have a 15 minute meltdown against better opposition)

19 minutes ago, cms186 said:

Dier came on 81st minute, so they were better for 30 minutes if we're being kind then :D

We weren't amazing but I thought we were playing out the game pretty well tbh

We controlled the game up until the subs  

Colombia were scared of us. They didn't plan to win the game, they set up to stop us playing. How ****ing great is that!?

They're equiliser was completely undeserved, but we did kind of **** up after that until half time et. 

Isn't it great that teams are **** scared of us? When's the last time that happened!? 

Love it. 

Going to bed now but still buzzing. I hate having such an emotional tie to the national team! 

I still can’t believe it. England recover from a potential huge choke to win, and on penalties?!?! It’s simply crazy.

If we don’t win the thing the Pickford save and Dier goal at the end of the shootout is 2 minutes that will live a very long time in my memory.

3 hours ago, Pukey said:

We were the better team yes. But we could have/can be better. Sterling has no confidence, Alli half injured. Leaving Rashford for the last 5 mins? :D Can't believe he's only been given proper playing time in that "friendly" vs belgium. 

I was one of the skeptics here, as i was still awed with Colombia's performance vs Poland. But it seems that one player for them makes a huge difference. With James, they would've been much more dangerous. Anyhow, England deserve kudos for their win tonight. You guys didn't play great, conceded a 93. minute goal and yet still won at the end. It takes a mentality of a champion to be able to do that. Still has some bits of doubt, as you are yet to score from open play but mentally, you seem in the right place. With a little luck, who know. It might really come home. 

8 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Still has some bits of doubt, as you are yet to score from open play

Yes we have, Lingard Vs Panama was from open play and was a bloody good goal plus even though it was not meant by Kane his third Vs Panama too or do we just dismiss the Panama game?

2 hours ago, scott MUFC said:

Sterling needs to be binned

I thought the same as his control of the ball seemed atrocious yesterday plus he has seemed like he's been trying to run through defenders too when not much is on whilst his passing has been way off all tournament as well however...

He is always looking to make something happen and he seems to have the opposition seriously worried and once he came off yesterday I felt we really missed him as the Colombian defenders then had no fear of our players running at them, other than Trippier he is the only player we have trying to take on opponents and opposition defenders having that fear is a good thing, I definitely thought he should be dropped but not now, for me Rashford isn't a starter and should be the direct replacement for Sterling later in the game but I think we should stick with him Vs Sweden as he will worry their backline like none of our other players can or will do...

6 hours ago, Pukey said:

The issue is England have created nothing in most of their games. The standard of opposition in this half of the draw means they might continue to get away with it, but the good sides from the other half will take advantage 

I can see why people aren't rating Sterling so far but when he isn't playing we look worse. He always seems avaiable to pick up the ball when we attack. His pace is frightening. Certain he's got a piece of magic in him and a redemption moment this tournament. 

Dier's penalty was terrible :D Love rewatching it but also scares me everytime I see it

I was so relieved, I do remember the Spain penalty shoot out but seen soooooo many defeats on pens, this felt good. I thought Henderson's pen wasn't bad but the keeper had guessed and went early. Great save from Pickford, I wondered where Vardy was and feared when Dier stepped up. I think he may be too thick to feel pressure, probably worst pen of the shoot out but who cares! :p

What a bitty, niggly game but Colombia made it that way, they weren't very good, we got dragged into shenanigans a bit. That guy should have seen red for the 'headbutt', how can you review that and give a yellow? It's either violent conduct/whatever they call it or something of nothing.

Kane has balls of steel. I feared in the shoot out, 3 pens already, law of averages I thought he may miss, important players feel the pressure and miss in shoot outs, it seems. Some really good pens though, Rashford, at his age, not on for long, amazing, Trippier too.

We deserved it, they didn't deserve that late goal at all, I think 1st period of extra time we had the life sucked out of us. Credit to Southgate though cause the 2nd period we were the better side and came back a lot better.

I mean, Sweden, great defence, they're hard to score against and we struggle to break sides down but if we perform near our best we can get past them. Come on!!! :thup:

I thought maybe people would have learnt from last night that Sterling is the only one getting us up the field and doing a better job of holding the ball up there than Kane, as soon as he went off, Colombia had nothing to deal with and just pushed their back line further forward and dominated that period until 2nd half of extra when their legs just went 

Not going to bother reading the thread because no doubt it will be full of Scotts (the user not the nationality) 

I don't really have a great opinion of Southgate anyway but they way it all went to pot from 70-110 mins was just classic England, not confident if we do come up against really dangerous opposition.

thought Sterling did really well for the most part. He'd look a lot better if we had two fully fit midfielders bombing on and linking with him.

Was quite surprised at some of the strength he was showing in his hold up play against Sanchez/Mina

5 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

I thought maybe people would have learnt from last night that Sterling is the only one getting us up the field and doing a better job of holding the ball up there than Kane, as soon as he went off, Colombia had nothing to deal with and just pushed their back line further forward and dominated that period until 2nd half of extra when their legs just went 

Not going to bother reading the thread because no doubt it will be full of Scotts (the user not the nationality) 

So basically England should use Sterling the way Villa used Agbonlahor, to force teams deep and benefit the overall shape but offer very little when he has the ball. Because he gave it away again and again yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Divinity said:

Oh, and this is worth watching over and over.

I thought at the time that must have been going wide, not seen a replay of it from another angle

Even from that angle it looks like it was going wide 

6 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

So basically England should use Sterling the way Villa used Agbonlahor, to force teams deep and benefit the overall shape but offer very little when he has the ball. Because he gave it away again and again yesterday.

No we need to play him because he's the only one transitioning the ball from at the back to getting the ball up field, the amount of times he held the ball up last night and got us up the field was great, but as usual people like yourself just want to jump on him because he tried a few dribbles that didn't come off, along with a lot of other players like Lingard and Alli 

People don’t realise how much Sterling gets the ball on the half turn and travels with the balll. Even if it’s 10 yards it’s pushed the defence back and allowed time for runners to come into support. He isn’t helped one bit by having **** all options on the left because Young doesn’t get forward so he has to come inside where it’s usually a crowded area, and last night his option there was Alli who may as well have been a cone last night because he offered nothing. 

I was surprised how slow England looked on the counter. Thought that was supposed to be one of our main strengths. 

Trippier’s been one of the best players of the tournament, not just for England. Thought Young was solid defensively (can’t remember who was continuously saying he’d be murdered by Cuadrado) but still doesn’t do enough going forward. 

Got away with a couple of errors that France / Brazil would punish you for. Loved how Walker was given the excuse of being in an unfamiliar position like that has anything to do with such a basic error. 

Speaking of Walker, why didn’t he go down when he was clearly injured?  Kept stopping and starting when he could had just lay down and brought the physio on.

Not sure whether to buy into all the stuff Southgate says about ‘owning the process’ and not panicking when Henderson missed because we knew Pickford would save one. Sounds like the stuff Pardew and McClaren used to say when they got the result. No doubt trying to build confidence but still.

When it went to pens I said to the wife that Henderson and Vardy would miss to put us out. Happy to be wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

I thought at the time that must have been going wide, not seen a replay of it from another angle

Even from that angle it looks like it was going wide 

The speed it was going, I don't think he gets enough on it to divert it away

3 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Blame commentator for Henderson missing. Jinxed him by saying he scored a pen against Ospina last season. Straight away you just knew he would then miss :D 

Clive Tyldsley just needs to call it a day. He was pathetic last night. In fact the whole broadcast was pathetic. The icing on the cake for me was going to adverts before the shootout. I know they've got bills to pay but come on.

Congrats to all the English folks here. Great to see a country finally getting through their issue with penalties. I kinda had the feeling something like that would happen when it came down to pens, but when Henderson initially missed I was like oh dear, there we go again :D. Luckily for the English Uribe and Bacca also missed their penalty. 

The game itself was interesting but not high quality, I really felt you could see Colombia was missing James whilst England for some reason really disappointed me footballing wise. Maybe the matches against Panama and Tunisia created a too positive image of England's football, but I had the idea they would be a lot better than this.

Game against Sweden will get very difficult for them, England needs to have a high ball circulation to break down the Swedish wall. Through the air it's almost impossible as Sweden has a lot of tall players. England should hope for an early goal, then Sweden must come and England can hit them on the break. 

not reading through 28 pages so probably already been said, but a pretty poor game all round. Colombia were never going to score in a million years but we sat back and allowed them to create the one opportunity they needed to get their corner, which we KNEW was their only threat and still didn't defend it properly. We were also too disciplined which stifled any decent attack. We have creative dynamic players like Alli and Lingard stuck moving sideways in a rigid defensive shape against a really poor side when they should be ready to burst forward in attack.

I really hope we aren't so defensive against Sweden, we are better than that performance, hopefully the penalty win breeds a bit of confidence and Southgate loosens up a bit.

Also, what absolute shithouses colombia were, i can't believe how long they were allowed to harrass the referee before Kane took his penalty, must have been 2-3 minutes of complaining, get on with it you tossers

1 hour ago, Astafjevs said:

The issue is England have created nothing in most of their games. The standard of opposition in this half of the draw means they might continue to get away with it, but the good sides from the other half will take advantage 

That's just not true though is it? Created plenty against Tunisia in the first-half but didn't take them. Scored 6 against Panama. Some were set-pieces and penalties but we did create chances. Don't think Belgium is worth talking about because of the changes both sides made. Last night was difficult because Colombia turned it into a battle rather than a game of football. I think the amount of chances overall is about the same as any of the other sides left in the competition.

Is Alli still carrying an injury or is he just in poor form (or both)?

Thought he was poor again last night and the worry is he’s one of the manager’s favourites so is going to be shoehorned in wherever possible. 

1 minute ago, Tony85 said:

That's just not true though is it? Created plenty against Tunisia in the first-half but didn't take them. Scored 6 against Panama. Some were set-pieces and penalties but we did create chances. Don't think Belgium is worth talking about because of the changes both sides made. Last night was difficult because Colombia turned it into a battle rather than a game of football. I think the amount of chances overall is about the same as any of the other sides left in the competition.

So we have first half against Tunisia? Panama is actually less worth taking about than Belgium, because anyone could create chances against amateurs.

Open play chances is a clear issue

Rose and RLC in for Young and Alli next game for me. I’d even put Rashford in for Lingard because Lingard looked dead on his feet in extra time and need some fresh legs up there if Sterling/Kane start. Think considering Sweden are not exactly pace mechants, if Walker isn’t fully fit I could see him benched for Cahil.

3 hours ago, Constantine said:

I was one of the skeptics here, as i was still awed with Colombia's performance vs Poland. But it seems that one player for them makes a huge difference. With James, they would've been much more dangerous. Anyhow, England deserve kudos for their win tonight. You guys didn't play great, conceded a 93. minute goal and yet still won at the end. It takes a mentality of a champion to be able to do that. Still has some bits of doubt, as you are yet to score from open play but mentally, you seem in the right place. With a little luck, who know. It might really come home. 

Poland were absolutely woeful. They couldn't defend in a straight line and left Colombia all sorts of space. This idea that James would have taken England apart is well overblown because of that. They made cuadrado look like a world beater yet he spent all game in Young's pocket. He actually had to switch position to get in the game. 

10 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

So we have first half against Tunisia? Panama is actually less worth taking about than Belgium, because anyone could create chances against amateurs.

Open play chances is a clear issue

OK fine disgard Panama as well. The point still stands - there were enough chances in the Tunisia game to have scored about 5 goals. Who cares whether it was spread across one-half or the full-game? It was enough to say that we created a decent amount of chances in that game. Especially when Tunisia's aim was to play for a draw.

Last night most teams would probably have struggled to create with the kind of game Colombia wanted to make it. Saying that England are any worse than other sides at creating chances is wrong when the sample size of games is so small.

But it's nice you've moved on to criticising their attack. A few games ago it was their defense and how Colombia / any other good attacking side would rip it apart.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Poland were absolutely woeful. They couldn't defend in a straight line and left Colombia all sorts of space. This idea that James would have taken England apart is well overblown because of that. They made cuadrado look like a world beater yet he spent all game in Young's pocket. He actually had to switch position to get in the game. 

Its like those saying they'd have beaten Japan had they not been down to 10 men, despite the fact that they went down to 10 men because their player stopped a goal with his arm 

Archived