Round of 16: Colombia v England (19:00 BST ITV1)

17 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I know that, but then you need another passer in midfield to feed them, rather than another runner in Alli. And this has been an issue since the first game, not just last night. And you don't need to stay so stationary to score, he doesn't do it for Spurs. Also if we're not utilising our other threats, then we become one dimensional, which is what's happening now. Absolutely needs to drift out to the channels at times. Force the defenders to make decisions, 

At Spurs he has Eriksen who can find him with precision balls when he pulls into channels, we just don’t have anyone like that. Don’t even have anyone like that in CM in squad which was highlighted when it was being picked so never really going to see Kane of Spurs in that style. He’s almost a target man style with players off him to a degree. He could make runs into channels but it would wasted energy because the balls are not going to find him.

Alli needs dropping because he’s not even doing the runs, just looks half injured and playing well within himself. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Brazil struggled for large periods against the behemoths of football that are Switzerland, Serbia and Costa Rica. The idea that Brazil have been playing this fantastic football, yet we can't count our play against Tunsia and Panama because they're pub sides, is laughable. Added on that Brazil have been disgusting to watch especially Neymar, they haven't impressed at this World Cup at all like people such as yourself try and make out they have 

Why is Neymar disgusting but Lingard, Maguire aren't? And Henderson was also rather theatrical. We had 2 shots on target in 120 mins, 1 being the penalty :D 

Brazil vs Mexico 10 shots on target in 90 mins. Yeah they are playing really bad... I know which games I preferred.

We can't discount Panama for being bad... we can watch the game objectively and understand that we did not play exciting attractive football.

When I die and go to hell I can envisage being made to watch our 2018 WC games back to back over and over. I'll be begging for a hot iron up the backside well before the Colombia game

the only thing I really notice of Kane is that he doesnt shoot from almost anywhere like he does for Spurs. I just want to see him start raining them in on goal from 25 yards, we're clearly not going to carve teams open, especially Sweden

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

If you want someone who's comfortable on the ball in the final third, can glide past players, keep the ball in tight spaces and play killer balls, I might know someone... ;)

I thought the Jack Wilshere discussion was over a long time ago

1 minute ago, westy8chimp said:

Swedish on Saturday and unfortunately I suspect i'll have to become Russian or Croatian a few days later. But yes unfortunately I am English.

Wait...you actually want us to lose then?

He's a bitter Arsenal fan who can't look past the amount of Spurs players in the squad, if it was full of Arsenal players (which Wenger has spent the past few decades destroying any good English player) he'd be loving England 

7 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

We can't discount Panama for being bad... we can watch the game objectively and understand that we did not play exciting attractive football.

6 goals not exciting :D 

Wenger really has done a number on you 

3 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Yes he does - quote from when the equaliser went in:

14 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

GET IN COLOMBIA!! hahaha 

Basically westy is a troll, we have all known this for quite some time ;) 

14 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

At Spurs he has Eriksen who can find him with precision balls when he pulls into channels, we just don’t have anyone like that. Don’t even have anyone like that in CM in squad which was highlighted when it was being picked so never really going to see Kane of Spurs in that style. He’s almost a target man style with players off him to a degree. He could make runs into channels but it would wasted energy because the balls are not going to find him.

Alli needs dropping because he’s not even doing the runs, just looks half injured and playing well within himself. 

Delph can pick out a pass. You don't need Eriksen like through balls to play in the channels, its actually much easier to find a player out wide. If anything by staying central with no movement, he's made it more necessary for a difficult through ball. 

There is simply no good tactical reason for him not to be drifting wider and looking for space on occasion.

We're not getting the best from Kane and right now we're wasting Sterling too as result because he is making needless runs for Kane, and not being able to ghost into space when someone drags a defender wider, which is exact how he is banging in goals for City. The front two need to be sharing the work load, and it would get the best out of both as a result

3 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

c'mon Sweden! :D I will convert back if we start attacking, but at the moment we might as well be a Mourinho lead Utd team.

Tied with Russia we've scored the second most goals so far with 9 (Belgium have the most with 12)

Sweden have only scored 6 goals and Brazil 7.  France also have scored 7 but 4 were against Argentina - they have also played out the only 0-0 draw of the tournament.

Mourinho knows how to get his teams to win (in the main) so its quite a compliment to compare England to that setup.

3 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

Tied with Russia we've scored the second most goals so far with 9

again ... I look at the qualitative data... not the quants. Review those 9 goals and compare them to Belgiums

When I look back at the WC I might remember Lingards lovely long shot ... I wont remember any other goals (for positive reasons). I don't want us to win it in a damp squib in the worlds worst ever WC final.

I'm dominating the thread (number of posts, not quality of), much to many annoyance I'm sure, so i'll shutup ... but (below) this is my argument put most succinctly. I can see I'm in the minority, but it's a real shame to see people get more excited by scoring a penalty than seeing great games and goals... because you are too blinkered by "ooo England excitement circus". Historically it's never good to be on the lines of 'the ends justifies the means'

--------

"I'm a football fan, I want to see the best team win ... I want to look back at the cup and remember great performances, great matches, great moments, great goals ... England provide none of this. If Kane showed what he does at Spurs, there is no reason why he couldn't"

2 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

again ... I look at the qualitative data... not the quants. Review those 9 goals and compare them to Belgiums 

Belgium's are better, I am not arguing that.  I am arguing we are not much worse than the other teams there. 

Sweden for example - in the groups they had 2 penalties and an own goal and their goal against Switzerland was a lucky deflection.

France - of their 3 goals scored in the groups one was a penalty, another an own goal.  I appreciate their knockout goals were great though.

8 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

When I look back at the WC I might remember Lingards lovely long shot ... I wont remember any other goals (for positive reasons). I don't want us to win it in a damp squib in the worlds worst ever WC final.

I'm dominating the thread (number of posts, not quality of), much to many annoyance I'm sure, so i'll shutup ... but (below) this is my argument put most succinctly. I can see I'm in the minority, but it's a real shame to see people get more excited by scoring a penalty than seeing great games and goals... because you are too blinkered by "ooo England excitement circus". Historically it's never good to be on the lines of 'the ends justifies the means'

--------

"I'm a football fan, I want to see the best team win ... I want to look back at the cup and remember great performances, great matches, great moments, great goals ... England provide none of this. If Kane showed what he does at Spurs, there is no reason why he couldn't"

I don't get this argument (Maybe it's because I'm an England fan).

I'd take us winning the World Cup if it meant beating Arsenal girls U9 side and scraping it on penalties ffs.

27 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

I don't get this argument (Maybe it's because I'm an England fan).

I'd take us winning the World Cup if it meant beating Arsenal girls U9 side and scraping it on penalties ffs.

Agreed. We're not good enough to beat several top teams to win one of these things. We either do it by taking advantage of a very fortuitous draw, or don't do it at all in our lifetime. I'll take the former please.

I wonder if the Ox would be starting over Lingard/Alli if he'd have been fit.

Absolutely he would, he's what we're missing in there. I don't think Lingard would be in the team is Ox was fit

not saying Lingard hasn't done well in there 

14 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

Agreed. We're not good enough to beat several top teams to win one of these things. We either do it by taking advantage of a very fortuitous draw, or don't do it at all in our lifetime. I'll take the latter please.

You mean the former? :D

14 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Absolutely he would, he's what we're missing in there. I don't think Lingard would be in the team is Ox was fit

not saying Lingard hasn't done well in there 

You'd hope Alli, given that he isn't fit and isn't playing well

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

A joke of an Argentina team with the worlds best player and your beloved Aguero? Di Maria worldy strike, Messi two great assists... but Mbappe lit up the game with the best solo performance of the cup so far.

Brazil you think have played bad? I could find a 5 minute clip from any of their games where they had the ball in and around opponent box more than we have the whole tournament (also neymar most chances created, most shots etc...far more entertaining than our dross)

Belgium lucky? That 3rd goal was best goal so far... and after 2-0 down they showed heart, character and class to win (in normal time). They outperformed us in the group by scoring good goals in open play and beat us.

-------

I'm a football fan, I want to see the best team win ... I want to look back at the cup and remember great performances, great matches, great moments, great goals ... England provide none of this. If Kane showed what he does at Spurs, there is no reason why he couldn't

Westy going against the grain, because Westy. Bore off.

3 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Rose and RLC in for Young and Alli next game for me. I’d even put Rashford in for Lingard because Lingard looked dead on his feet in extra time and need some fresh legs up there if Sterling/Kane start. Think considering Sweden are not exactly pace mechants, if Walker isn’t fully fit I could see him benched for Cahil.

That is utter madness unless you'd also change the formation, Lingard is part of the midfield three with Alli and Henderson so doing that swap with the others you've suggested leaves us with Henderson as the pivot, RLC as a CM then Sterling, Rashford and Kane as a front 3 unless you're actually suggesting Rashford is a CM.

Care to explain why you'd do that change as I'm genuinely baffled trying to work it out?

2 hours ago, Readingfanman said:

Incredible stat from last night I have just seen.

Jordan Pickford ran only 200M less than Messi did in their equivalent R of 16 games.

That's pretty crazy, Pickford was like a sweeper at times and always on the edge or outside of the box but I was still going to ask if it was true however...

2 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Because of the extra time, this is true.

If you do a proper like-for-like comparison, Messi ran considerably more, as you'd expect.

Messi - 7,675m

Pickford - 5,707m (over 90 minutes)

Considerably more? 2000m is not considerably more when comparing a central defender to a midfielder or attacker nevermind a goalkeeper, those stats are pretty crazy.

8 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

That is utter madness unless you'd also change the formation, Lingard is part of the midfield three with Alli and Henderson so doing that swap with the others you've suggested leaves us with Henderson as the pivot, RLC as a CM then Sterling, Rashford and Kane as a front 3 unless you're actually suggesting Rashford is a CM.

Care to explain why you'd do that change as I'm genuinely baffled trying to work it out?

That's pretty crazy, Pickford was like a sweeper at times and always on the edge or outside of the box but I was still going to ask if it was true however...

Considerably more? 2000m is not considerably more when comparing a central defender to a midfielder or attacker nevermind a goalkeeper, those stats are pretty crazy.

People are reading too much into it because they want to make out Messi does nothing. There's nothing massively unusual. The guy is a No.10, I don't know what people expect.

50 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

--------

A loser speaks :lol:

Tell you what, I'm pretty sure I have fonder memories of United winning with a John Terry slip and 180 minutes of semi-final bus parking than all the sumptuous football played in the 10-2 aggregate defeats your idol subjected you to.

Similarly, I'm pretty sure the Germans have fonder memories of the many, many Klose rebound tap-ins they got on the way to challenging to actually win the World Cup than, say the two long-forgotten and ultimately irrelevant absolute screamers England scored last time they played Colombia in a World Cup knockout game

c'mon Sweden! :D I will convert back if we start attacking, but at the moment we might as well be a Mourinho lead Utd team.

enjoy cheering on the excellent variety of ways to put 10 men behind the ball that Sweden muster up before the side you're supporting go out then. After all, Granqvist penalties, Augustinsson tap in and Forsberg deflected goals are so much better than Kane ones :D 

2 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

I don't hate Kane... I like him. Just a shame for Spurs he leads the line, scores from range with both feet, scores in the box with head and both feet.

For England he hasn't done anything in open play... like we all laughed in the Euros at him taking corners... I find it just as laughable that he's now playing deep and wide and doing everything in his power not to get near goal and take a shot. It's embarrassing that we have made it through to the QF to play Sweden, whilst the best teams in the tournament have to battle it out in the other half.

for the neutrals last night was a dire as Sweden vs Switz or Denmark vs Croatia (or even Denmark vs France group game). No good football... loads of diving and histrionics.

But because we won people change the narrative that we are heroes and Kane was immense. If Tripps and Dier missed and we go home... the narrative in the thread would be more in line with me; Sterlings decision making was awful, Alli has done nothing all tournament, Kane was out of position ... as a team we had no attacking strategy.

Pretty silly to expect England to play great attacking football when the other sides with much better quality haven't done it. As for Kane he'd lead the line for England if the midfielders were doing their job.

5 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

People are reading too much into it because they want to make out Messi does nothing. There's nothing massively unusual. The guy is a No.10, I don't know what people expect.

I want to know he's the best when I look at every piece of quantitative data going, none of this qualitative mumbo jumbo :brock:

Swedish on Saturday and unfortunately I suspect i'll have to become Russian or Croatian a few days later. But yes unfortunately I am English.

You dirty filthy bastard, also seen Wigmores quote on you celebrating the Colombia equaliser, you're an absolute embarrassment!

I'm a football fan, I want to see the best team win ... I want to look back at the cup and remember great performances, great matches, great moments, great goals ... England provide none of this. If Kane showed what he does at Spurs, there is no reason why he couldn't"

Why do you support Arsenal or any team for that matter then? You claim to be a football fan but you still support a club, surely someone of your supposed stance above should just be a neutral fan but you're not are you? As I said above...

An absolute embarrassment!

6 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

A loser speaks

You seem rattled...where is your usual eloquence? 

Disagree... Wet yourself with joy over last nights tripe if you like, but no need to get personal

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Mate, there's nothing personal, I just can't imagine any reason other than perverse enjoyment of losing that could see someone love 10-2 aggregate defeats and hate 6-1 wins because they involved the wrong type of goals :D

Purist. 

11 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Fair enough if that's your opinion however I do find it very unusual that a goalkeeper who is confined to one area of the pitch runs almost as much as one of the world's greatest ever players who is both a creator and someone who runs with the ball and makes things happen.

26 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Ref was a joke last night, let them get away with murder then books Lingard for a little trip :D 

Actually the ref was pretty much on the hand of England I felt. Most 50/50 cases went to the English. 

Archived