FM18 - Who will you manage?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll more than likely start with Preston to get a feel for the game because of the amount of LOI players they've signed lately.

My long term save then will probably involve creating a new league structure for Ireland, and trying to bring the league into the top 10 leagues in Europe, although I do have another project in mind

Once the main game is out and Claassen begins his yearly league updates (mostly in Africa) I will start my usual with Paris FC. I know I have said this once or twice here before but after discovering them in FM 13 I have always have had a save with them and due to this I love to follow their results and all in real life.  My FM17 save of them is really hard as I am surviving by the skin of my teeth in Ligue 2 in my second second year after promotion to it. 

On 21/9/2017 at 05:59, socceroos said:

Wrexham as usual. Always want to try another team but have this affinity for Wrexham since FM11. Why .. No idea.

God damn, I never thought I would find a fellow Wrexham-gamer. I started playing them in fm16, as unemployed novice, maybe I should consider trying it again. 

I think I will have to go with Sheffield united at fist though :)

2 hours ago, bommen said:

God damn, I never thought I would find a fellow Wrexham-gamer. I started playing them in fm16, as unemployed novice, maybe I should consider trying it again. 

Did a network save with a mate once where I was Shef Utd and he was Weds, was epic, ended up dominating everything, I've never had such a crazy team - world class players on the bench etc - was some serious scouting!

I'm not sure if it will stick but I'm considering Gremio as a main save in FM18.

For whatever reason in the past, South American saves have rarely lasted more than a season for me, though that could be said of most saves I tried in FM17 too. Only a few made it past 3 or 4 seasons.

A bit of a connection with Lucas and Fabio Aurelio having played there and of course there's the attraction of Luan, Everton and Lincoln too, although he's on loan in Turkey I think.

Someone in here, who had success in China? I started a game currently with a low level team in China, and I think it´s quite interesting that a lot of good players find themselfs playing there :)..

will start with lincoln city should be a good side in fm18 if the players stats are real , then when database for lower leagues is done will do lincoln united and maybe someother local non league team , prefer lower leagues much more rewarding 

13 hours ago, screwyiimp said:

will start with lincoln city should be a good side in fm18 if the players stats are real , then when database for lower leagues is done will do lincoln united and maybe someother local non league team , prefer lower leagues much more rewarding 

Same here mate, I always do lower league management. Never start a proper long term save with a 'big' club, gimme clubs level 9 and below to start with!!

I really want to start saves with Nice or Lille in FM18. Ligue 1 really attracts me... 

In Bundesliga Hoffenheim should be an interesting save, however, even rebuilding Bayern could be interesting if you try to get rid of a few older players and stick to the boards philosophy and dont overspend on signings...:)

Leeds as always, should be a very interesting year this year.

I do think in the last couple of years there's been a few players underrated, particularly the quality of the youth academy given historically the players we've produced.  I'd like to see this tweaked.

Too many ideas and not enough time

1. Torquay United - getting them back in football league

2. Unemployed, low rep, job hop to win the Champions League

3. South America, probably Rosario Central

4. Dafuge

5. German save with Dresden

6. Idea for a blog with an island team and dominate Europe: Tenerife, Mallorca, Bastia, Messina

On 04/10/2017 at 11:40, bigmattb28 said:

Same here mate, I always do lower league management. Never start a proper long term save with a 'big' club, gimme clubs level 9 and below to start with!!

big clubs to boring , i like to go through the leagues or try and get sleeping giant( former league club ) back up the leagues like bradford park avenue etc 

Two things I'm gonna do for sure:

Youth Academy Challenge in a country outside the European top 10.

A small team from the French 3rd tier (any suggestions?) to grow and battle the PSG monster (actually Lyon fan but that would be easier).

I will - since I always do - have a long-term save with my local club Norwich and another with Nürnberg once the German LL database is released. 

My first save to learn the new ins and outs will either be Ajax or AIK. 

On 07/10/2017 at 23:11, Muttley84 said:

A small team from the French 3rd tier (any suggestions?) to grow and battle the PSG monster (actually Lyon fan but that would be easier).

Red Star is the first team that sprang into my mind. They are based in Paris and are the second oldest French football club.

23 hours ago, Gene said:

I will - since I always do - have a long-term save with my local club Norwich and another with Nürnberg once the German LL database is released. 

My first save to learn the new ins and outs will either be Ajax or AIK. 

@Genewhere is the LL database this year?  The only one I can find that is stable enough has over 120 leagues and seasons take forever!

(Definitely) Beta - Newcastle

(Maybe) Journeyman game - Start in lower leagues of South Africa and go on from there. This would include heavy rules, basically, you cannot use the Scouting page (current FM) for players. You have to use the scout reports, which will be very nice in FM18.

(Hopefully) A long-term game, Pick a small Nation and try to turn them into a powerhouse, and by small nation, I mean small footballing nations. E.g. FM17 saw me play a Gibraltar save. Started on the 7th of November 2016, still playing at the moment. The initial goal was to get the Gibraltar National Team to the World Cup and to win the CL (made the final for the first time in 2048 and lost despite dominating), I have since stopped managing the National Team despite getting them to the Euro's for the first time. Ideally, I'd like a country in Europe, although I've had the idea of managing in India as well. Due to there being such a high population I'm curious to see how many good regens come out when there are amazing facilities, and a good youth set-up.

(Maybe) Challange, sign only players who have 14+ Work Rate and Determination (If possible I'd like to get Teamwork in there as well). Again more curious than anything, I want to see how a team who Works hard, is Determined and has a high Teamwork do. Particularly in the lower leagues where skill isn't of the highest calibre.

4 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

@Genewhere is the LL database this year?  The only one I can find that is stable enough has over 120 leagues and seasons take forever!

@DazRTaylor , I've been using the ones from meistertrainerforum for years. Probably the one you're speaking of, although it doesn't take me too long to get through seasons - even on my Macbook. At least it's no longer than normal databases. 

In the beta I imagine I’ll pick PSG for club football and England for international football. I’d also like to start games as Everton, Celtic, Rangers (to test out the Dynamics system), Scotland, Wales, Ostersunds, and when the editor data is created Panama and Progres Niederkorn from Luxembourg.

On 10/8/2017 at 09:36, Jean0987654321 said:

It'll be tough but depending on the talent that the Basque have at the start of the game and I hope they'll be enough U-16 Spanish youngsters. I might do the Basque Challenge again

Yeah buddy! :)

I've actually been toying with the idea of using Barakaldo rather than Athletic for an extra difficult one in the Basque country

On 03/10/2017 at 04:41, bommen said:

Both are teams I'd really like to get around to playing at some point! I've never managed as far down as Wrexham though so that'd be challenging. There's something to be said for raising a Welsh club up into the PL.

I will probably start with Shaw Lane AFC if the editor is released at the same time as the game, they were only founded in 2011 and are only 3 promotions away from the Football League, currently joint top of the Northern Premier and yesterday knocked Barrow out of the FA Cup.

Plus they are a localish team to me and I can turn on their league in the editor, this year I am going to try and not start new games every day or so but for a few years now many saves have struggled to hold my attention.

In the beta, I'll probably pick a Top Serie A club to test the waters.

Then when/if the game will be reliable enough, I'll start my traditional Rosenborg save. Later on, depending on how quickly I can achieve success, I'll move on to a more difficult challenge. I was thinking San Marino.

Or my old project, Greenland, provided there'll be a semi-realistic custom league.

AC Milan probably as in the 17 I started with Inter. So making the switch to the other side makes sense. 

I think they made same good buys and some bad ones during the summer but overally should be fun team to rebuild back to the glory days. Hopefully they have some money in the FM database to start with also so I can at least buy out Montolivo's contract. :lol:

Arsenal could be fun as well but they are usually way overrated and therefore easy. They also have buckets full of cash coming in season after season.

With the beta I'm just going to play about with PSG or Newcastle just to get used to the game and then when the English lower leagues database is released start unemployed and see where I go.

Does anyone know of any other countries lower league databases? I rarely see any other lower leagues then England really, wouldn't mind trying going as low as possible in another country for a change. I know Claasen has his mega packs up eventually but they only seem to go to the second division or just the top leauge.

1 hour ago, bigmattb28 said:

Does anyone know of any other countries lower league databases? I rarely see any other lower leagues then England really, wouldn't mind trying going as low as possible in another country for a change. I know Claasen has his mega packs up eventually but they only seem to go to the second division or just the top leauge.

I do know the South African researcher usual releases the lower leagues in RSA, so if you interested you could keep an eye out for those.

Will play as the team I support, Spurs for the Beta and get to look around at the new features.

I'm then thinking of starting a new LLM journey after the first patch is released. History has shown me that starting a long-term save before the first patch is wise. So for me until then it's playing the game, having a short-term 3 or 4 season save with the game which by that time the patch will likely be out.

Rotherham United as always.

Lower league, new players and should be a better experience compared to trying to stay up with the over payed players we had last season.  Also this year don't have Blackstock on our books eating wages.

Hopefully get to write the guide for them again.

Archived