FM18 - Who will you manage?

The Blackburn job sounds quite challenging, however I like to start the game with a job interview to make it as realistic as possible so will probably go sunday league rep - unemployed on a journeyman save again.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, wazza said:

The Blackburn job sounds quite challenging, however I like to start the game with a job interview to make it as realistic as possible so will probably go sunday league rep - unemployed on a journeyman save again.

Was also thinking of doing a Blackburn save. Got it almost narrowed down to them, York, Stirling, or Union Berlin. Probably start a Union save when the full game comes out and I can update the German license stuff (shhhhhh.....)

I'm thinking Palermo at the moment. Haven't managed in Italy since a great Roma save I had like 5 or 6 years ago so that will be interesting. Should be fun trying to break Juve's dominance, and of course starting in the Serie B and trying to get promotion first will be pretty interesting too since I usually play as top division sides.

Of course the main reason is that beautiful pink kit! Blue, red, white? Nah they're all boring and far too common. Pink however, now that's truly unique! I love playing as sides with unusual colours.

On 29/09/2017 at 13:00, Statsarefacts said:

Strangely although I have played FM for a long time I have never managed a Premier League side I tend to start with Conference or lower league sides. So this year after much real life research I have whittled it down to Southampton or Everton with the plan of selling Van Dyke/Ross Barclay and buying a decent striker or two which both teams lack with Giroud my number one target.

I have had a late change of heart after working my way through James Tippett's new book 'The Football Code'.

I am now going to play a dual manager game playing as Brentford FC (Championship) and FC Midtjylland (Denmark), both teams owned by Matthew Benham.

With both sides being ran as solid squads with a sound financial backing I am hoping for an interesting long-term save. For the record the book is a superb read and a great insight into modern football thinking.

FC Eindhoven as usual.

Might pick Dynamo Dresden as a German challenge.

After that, probably doing some editing and play with a replaced English team in the lower lower levels.

I did Non League in 16 with Harrogate Town and, last year, I started unemployed and worked my way upto Liverpool. I was undecided this year so I put it out to twitter and it looks like I'll be doing the SAF Challenge. If it stays like that, will have to wait and see who is 2nd from bottom to take over.

https://twitter.com/WodsAndNappies/status/920210756313993216

For me it is besiktas. great stadium, fan base

goals would be to become the first turkish team to win champions league.

and can you lead the club to get its third league championships in a row while big clubs try to poach your players such oguzhan ozyakup, cenk tosun

I've always had a desire to manage Rot Weiss Essen in the German Regionalliga. Not sure why them really...but the thought of starting from 0 and building a club into a powerhouse, seems a bit more rewarding than managing, say PSG or any oil-rich club. Also, Essen has the population (almost 600000) to get a large fanbase, stadium etc.

I'll start unemployed, with no experience and see where it takes me.

Aside from desperately trying to avoid the sack, my goals will be to manage Salford City (I was born in Salford) and Manchester United (the team I support) at some point. I would also like to manage in Germany too as I've had some great saves there previously.

Also, hurry up BETA. I'm desperate for my FM fix.  :D

Some ideas...

1. Will prob play as West Ham (my team) or a huge European team on the Beta to get used to the game.

2. Usually try to take my local club Southend up the leagues on a shoestring.

3. Was thinking Betis. Amazing 60K stadium, large population in Spain plus good sized towns nearby to get talent.

4. Genoa. Beautiful kit, team with lots of history and some great talent coming through,

5. Nice. New stadium, south of France, intriguing squad mixed with old and young talent.

6. Santa Clara. A team based in Ponta Delgada, Portugal which is an island in the Azores way way way off the coast in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. Currently play in the 2nd division, also where Pauleta is from. Could be fun to take them up and challenge for Europe.

6. South America. Did Gremio and the Brazil national team on 17, which was lots of fun. Great for developing young players, Copa Libertadores great too. Will probably head to Argentina for Boca, or Mexico for an as yet undecided team.

7. International. Nigeria/USA looks like it could be great fun with the young squads they have!

Honourable mentions that have also crossed my mind: 1860 Munich, Koln/Hamburger SV,  Salford City, RCD Mallorca, Somebody in Africa (never tried it before), 

My plan is to create a fictional manager and start unemployed and just see where it takes me, no other plans as I intend to keep my one club save going on FMC15.

On 19/10/2017 at 21:17, CharlieRow said:

Honourable mentions that have also crossed my mind: 1860 Munich

I'm actually of the opposite mind, considering one last save with them before they drop below playable leagues in FM18

On 19/10/2017 at 11:17, CharlieRow said:

Some ideas...

1. Will prob play as West Ham (my team) or a huge European team on the Beta to get used to the game.

2. Usually try to take my local club Southend up the leagues on a shoestring.

3. Was thinking Betis. Amazing 60K stadium, large population in Spain plus good sized towns nearby to get talent.

4. Genoa. Beautiful kit, team with lots of history and some great talent coming through,

5. Nice. New stadium, south of France, intriguing squad mixed with old and young talent.

6. Santa Clara. A team based in Ponta Delgada, Portugal which is an island in the Azores way way way off the coast in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. Currently play in the 2nd division, also where Pauleta is from. Could be fun to take them up and challenge for Europe.

6. South America. Did Gremio and the Brazil national team on 17, which was lots of fun. Great for developing young players, Copa Libertadores great too. Will probably head to Argentina for Boca, or Mexico for an as yet undecided team.

7. International. Nigeria/USA looks like it could be great fun with the young squads they have!

Honourable mentions that have also crossed my mind: 1860 Munich, Koln/Hamburger SV,  Salford City, RCD Mallorca, Somebody in Africa (never tried it before), 

I really like the idea of Santa Clara. I’m always drawn to small island teams and  this seems a good challenge. 

Had never heard of them so thanks for the tip! 

On 16/10/2017 at 04:55, Cal585 said:

Both are teams I'd really like to get around to playing at some point! I've never managed as far down as Wrexham though so that'd be challenging. There's something to be said for raising a Welsh club up into the PL.

You got that right! They actually have a really nice club all around.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:43, Wolf_pd said:

FC Eindhoven as usual.

Might pick Dynamo Dresden as a German challenge.

After that, probably doing some editing and play with a replaced English team in the lower lower levels.

And after the Runcorn story from the Chinese guy who played with Runcorn in FM and then visited in reallife, reminded me of my Greenock Morton game and Wigan, so might take those two up as well.

I'm quite fancying doing a Rayo Vallecano save whilst trying to emulate Jemez's tactics.

Also the usual restoring Saint-Etienne to glory save.

I'll also probably start as Milan in the BETA just to get to grips with the game before the full launch.

I am between Werder Bremen and Hoffenheim. Either waking up a very deep sleeping historical team or taking over an exciting team that has been doing well.

Probably will go to my usual Serie A and Premier League games as well at some point.

As always, unemployed and see where fate takes me! or perhaps load up the English lvl 7 that Dan is working on and manage someone local other than Newcastle, Gateshead or Blyth.

EDIT: Actually, yeah just realised Spennymore will be in FM18... hmm. Shame North Shields, West Allotment Celtic or Forest Hall aren't haha

Will do someone like Liverpool / Spurs to get used to the game on the Beta then when the full game comes out I'll start with Derby.  Completely off subject - I'm planning on downloading kits and logos for premier league, bundesliga etc this year. How long does it normally take for them to be released?

29 minutes ago, mralexwalker said:

Will do someone like Liverpool / Spurs to get used to the game on the Beta then when the full game comes out I'll start with Derby.  Completely off subject - I'm planning on downloading kits and logos for premier league, bundesliga etc this year. How long does it normally take for them to be released?

https://sortitoutsi.net/graphics/packcat/2/294/ss1718-league-kits

https://sortitoutsi.net/graphics/style/3/metallic-logos

My choises from the top 5 leagues: Arsenal, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen, AC Milan and Olympique de Marseille all looks exciting a head of the new FM.

Arsenal: You know, start the "post Wenger Era". Turn the club around and get it back to winning ways. You'll also have the EL alongside with the "carbonara cup" in the first season to get some of your youth prospects up and running. I felt the Brexit hit a bit hard on FM17 where players pretty much had to establish themselves in their national team before they got a WP, but I dont know how thats going to be in FM18. That made it hard to get enough homegrown players, but with Arsenals excellent academy you can hope to get som superstars though your own ranks.

Valenica: Struggling bigtime with the finances, but they have a huge stadium and got some exciting loan-deals a head of this season. Allways had a weak spot form them ever since the time where they had David Villa, Joaquin, Mata and David Silva in the team. They also have one of the best academies around and the goal must be to challenge Atletico, RM and Barca for the LL title after a few seasons.

Bayer Leverkusen: A lot of talent and the potential to quickly become the third giant in the Bundesliga alongside Bayern and Dortmund. Just a quick question. If I start in Bundesliga at the Beta can I update the league-rights with real names and logos after the save has started? Thanks.

AC Milan: Not working at all in real life, but they have an exciting squad. And I guess you will have plenty of money in the coming transfer windows. Goal: Make them able to compete Juventus for the Serie A title and get them back in the CL.

Olympique de Marseille: I must say that for me its a very close between OM and Lyon. Both have excellent youth academies and after a few seasons both can very much challenge PSG and Monaco for the league with some good transfer business. What made it for me is that they got Payet and Thauvin back to the club. With some other exciting prospects they can be really strong in FM18.

Note: As I'm not from the UK I dont have that childhood club in the lowest division to bring up the system. :lol:

As always I will more than likely start with Man Utd, nice easy enough game to start plus I support them.

I don't tend to make too many lists on teams to be anymore as I don't have as much time anymore to play. But Parma and 1860 Munich are both games I definitely want to try at some point this year especially the former. Other teams I am potentially thinking of are Levante and Bordeaux. Fancy trying something random this year and those two teams are fairly random names. An unemployed save is another one I want to try but again depends on how I get on with my other saves above. Usually I manage 3-4 big saves a year and if I had to guess it will be Utd, Parma, 1860 Munich and unemployed but who knows.

Just can't wait now, not played FM17 since June.

I've got a few in mind. In recent versions I've just gone with a big Premier League club so I'm going to stay in England (as I always do), but go lower league:

Coventry City - Always like the idea of a big club in the lower leagues. Tempting, but do they actually have any money?

Leeds United - Another fallen giant who have a good squad this season and could be fun forging a way back to the Premier League.

Exeter City - My local team, I literally live 5 minutes from the stadium and watch them about once every 2 months, but in 20 years playing CM/FM I've never had a long term save with them. They've got a decent sqaud this year, could be fun.

Archived