It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

Just now, PMLF said:

surely at some point they will have to win titles again, France, Italy, Spain and Germany had their time, maybe at some point it will be England's time too.

Exactly, it's simple maths. 

I ignored the first bit.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article:

World Cup 2018: Brazilian songs, Moscow streets and why England know they're not yet feared by those who matter: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/world-cup-2018-brazil-moscow-england-colombia-belgium-draw-gareth-southgate-a8422271.html

English press noticed that England is not mentioned on that song.

"Should Southgate’s side exceed all expectations and reach the semi-finals they will meet Spain, with La Roja likely to be overwhelming favourites"

Absurdly presumptuous, not even a "they will most likely meet," just straight up pretending Spain beating home nation Russia and then an excellent looking Croatia or a Denmark team that hasn't lost a game in ages is an absolute guarantee.

And bothering about not being included in another nation's song is like caring your team isn't included in that "**** them all" chant Millwall do.

Before the tournament everyone here said we had no chance, and suddenly the press are surprised that other countries felt/still feel the same? :D 

13 hours ago, Marc Albrighton said:

The worst bit about the nonsense as usual redtop headlines is that they will be used against us when we inevitably go out despite most English people acknowledging them as nonsense :thdn:

That's of course also due to the high amount of it. For example the 'it's coming home' thing is pretty funny imo, but not when it's repeated over and over again. Next to this I have a feeling for some English folks there is a sense of seriousness in it, which if fine btw, you can show some sense of chauvinism during tournaments like this. But then don't go in complete denial or put it off as banter when it all blows up in your face. 

17 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I saw a mad statistic earlier that Harry Kane, in just over 170 minutes or so, has scored the same amount of goals in World Cups (5) that Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen managed in a combined 23 games. 

Rooney was massively overrated.

3 hours ago, Haiku said:

It's coming home... Do you mean Uruguay will win the trophy, since they are the first world champion in history?

Well, the first international matches were England v Scotland starting 1870 which England won most of and given that that was the entire world we were the first champions.

=

Coming home. :)

9 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I saw a mad statistic earlier that Harry Kane, in just over 170 minutes or so, has scored the same amount of goals in World Cups (5) that Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen managed in a combined 23 games. 

Well they didn't had a chance to face Panama though. 

3 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Why do you hate England?

He actually has a point.

If the Rooney, Beckham, Scholes, etc etc team had been at this World Cup I would actually call it a no contest!
That team would steamroll this competition.

It's all about timing I guess.

On 29/06/2018 at 16:04, Wiggins' Young Boys said:

The only people who take them seriously are the ABE brigade

Yeah, because there's absolutely no-one in England mopping their ever-so-pink brow with a hanky as they read the red-tops, lapping up every single word...

I don't doubt for one minute that most of England's fans don't believe the hype, but to say that no-one in your country takes them seriously is a bit rich.  If they didn't, there wouldn't be a need for the paper.

On 29/06/2018 at 16:35, Crispypaul said:

Mainly the far-north outpost, who would never, ever do the same....

GL606725.thumb.jpg.b760a813c08391234838d7df5836f6a0.jpg

Media writes absolute nonsense SHOCK.  We released a song where we claimed we'd win the World Cup

We didn't.

people do realise in 1978 that Scotland had a parade at Hampden on an open top bus BEFORE even going to the World Cup in Argentina? :lol:

Rodriguez might be fit for the game on Tuesday night according to reports, BBC will probably call him "global new star" if he scores then because of course nobody knows about him from the last World Cup

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, TM said:

BBC will probably call him "global new star" if he scores then because of course nobody knows about him from the last World Cup

Uhh, I doubt it

My god that game was embarrassing :D

Team vs Trinidad and Tobago: Paul Robinson, Jamie Carragher, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole, David Beckham, Steve Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Peter Crouch, Michael Owen.  With Rooney coming off the bench for the last half hour.

Up against a back four pulled together from Gillingham, Luton, Wrexham and a random Trinidad and Tobago league side.

We scored a right iffy goal about 83 minutes in and Crouch in injury time if I remember properly. 

So when people talk about it only being Panama, I really don't care 

56 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

its boring now we have won it

thought it might be fun but beating tunisia panama colombia sweden and russia is a bit anti climatic

hopefully when we win the euros things will be a bit better.

Got the new UEFA Nations League to win before that :thup:

Odds to reach the final - bottom half of draw

England 5/2

Croatia 3/1

Russia 4/1

Colombia 6/1

Switzerland 12/1

Sweden 14/1

Denmark 16/1

Christ.  Normally we wouldn't be favourites to reach the final even if we'd already qualified for a semi final :D Now we are favourites with three games still to play.  Mental.

Archived