It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southgate: Kyle please don't get booked tonight pal we need to keep our noses clean in case fair play comes in to it.

Walker: Yes boss

Walker, kicking a ball away after a needless foul in the 91st minute: I'm sorry boss I don't know what came over me.

Southgate: 5b2fd0b0fc7e9300638b45dc.jpg

Why is everyone so convinced Colombia are topping the group all of a sudden? Poland have looked awful so far and as long as Japan beat them then Colombia can’t catch them and can only finish second.

I don’t fancy having to play Colombia at all so I would say Colombia then Sweden/Switzerland isn’t really preferable to Japan then Brazil. But if Japan win the group it’s Japan then Sweden/Switzerland and very defintiely we ought to want that.

It’s out of our hands though really. We could have played for second with a comfortable 0-0 if Belgium had still been ahead of us on GD. But we can’t actually go out now and deliberately lose. Scoring that last goal against Panama is what’s done us. Easiest route to the semi finals for years and we’ve ****ed it by accidentally scoring. Classic England banter.

Colombia are ****. They conceded twice to Japan and people saying Colombia will be harder then Japan.

Smash Belgium, watch the Scotts cry some more on here before we smash whoever in L16.

Don’t fear anyone. Defence can be dodgy, but got an insane goalscorer at the moment bang in confidence and abundance of pace and movement in final third to create him the space and chances. We’re capabale of scoring 2/3 goals every game against anyone in this competition.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

It's baffling to me that this "should we finish 2nd" chat is still being talked about.  On the radio the question seemed to be, should we finish 2nd so we can get an easier draw, or 1st and probably play Brazil in the quarters.  Haud on a second, who's that possibly waiting for us in the 2nd round?  Colombia.  I know it's only one game, but if they play the sort of stuff they did against Poland (and yes, Poland were hopeless) then they will likely be able to rip both Portugal and England to shreds.  

Top the group, win your 1st knockout round game, then go into the Brazil game realising what they are - a great but ultimately fallible team.  Or finish 2nd, and probably go out before that.

It is baffling. But at least it's not coming from the actual England camp. Southgate sounds like he genuinely wants to win and there seems to be more rummors coming from the Belguim camp that they are happy with 2nd place. 

Anybody can beat anyone out of this last 16. So why the heck would you start dicking about and making assumptions on who is easier. It's madness

4 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

It is baffling. But at least it's not coming from the actual England camp. Southgate sounds like he genuinely wants to win and there seems to be more rummors coming from the Belguim camp that they are happy with 2nd place. 

Anybody can beat anyone out of this last 16. So why the heck would you start dicking about and making assumptions on who is easier. It's madness

Yeah, that's one thing you can give him credit for.  For what it's worth I can see Belgium wanting to play for a "positive" result rather than England.  Hopefully it's just a straight out bastketball style end-to-end Royal Rumble of a match instead.  The winner of this one takes big momentum into the next round, and the loser might just start to wonder whether they're only through due to Tunisia and Panama being complete diddies

5 hours ago, RedNomad said:

I'm fully willing to be plastered on the wall of shame for saying this, but... :D

Really?! England beat Tunisia and Panama (who are both well in contention for the worst side at the WC tbh), and you honestly think England is going to win?  I'd jump on the bandwagon if England convincingly dismantle Belgium, but until that happens we don't have any real proof that England won't flop again. Saying a loss to Belgium would mean England would face weaker teams is pretty poor justification imo, and seems to me to me to be an excuse for just legitimately being the poorer team.  

I might be missing something though? 

Shut up and support England.

1 minute ago, Readingfanman said:

When Belgium waltz their way into the semi finals without any issues and we get knocked out predictably in the QF by Brazil, how many people who said momentum was important will be back complaining that we didnt go for second place?

Conversely, how many extremely red-faced men will be absolutely seething when you go for second place, and then get absolutely dismantled by Colombia.

Hypotheticals are great fun.

Brazil are **** :D 

Got 1 dangerous player who they don't even build the team around, they're a joke. Would rather face Brazil and expose them than play a well organised side 

How many chances did that big daft donkey for Serbia miss last night 

Just now, forameuss said:

Conversely, how many extremely red-faced men will be absolutely seething when you go for second place, and then get absolutely dismantled by Colombia.

Hypotheticals are great fun.

If we come second, I think it's unlikely we'll be playing Colombia either way really - although by that point you'd at least know that it was Colombia you're facing.

Of course it's all hypothetical. If Belgium come out and win 2-0, the England side will be berated for not "trying to win the group" now anyway, even if they go all out to try and win the group. There really isn't much downside to winning, losing or drawing tonight IMO.

imagine you end up in the "weaker" side of the draw, everybody is drawing up the route to the final and then you lose to Japan

I'm not ABE but that would be hilarious to watch

5 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Brazil couldn't beat the Swiss, struggled badly against Costa ****ing Rica, then got lucky last night that Serbia had a big tree upfront who the ball kept bouncing off over the bar 

They're ****

All three of those sides are better than Tunisia. 

Basically if we don't get to the semis people will moan because we should have beaten Belgium to get 1st/lost to Belgium to get the easier route (delete as applicable)

There isn't a right or wrong and captain hindsight wankers are going to be really annoying if we go out in round of 16 or the quarters.

Probably makes more sense to reach a final decision on which side of the draw we'd prefer after Group G is finished this afternoon, but anyone that thinks that the "momentum" of beating a not-even-trying Belgium reserves would be worth more than a Japan/Sw* route is on crack. Sure, we're eminently capable of losing to Japan and beating Brazil, but the odds of doing so are not equal. Either way, it doesn't make sense to avoid rotating at this stage.

4 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I love that we're actually seriously discussing which side of the draw will get us to the final easier :D:D

It is all a bit surreal isn't it?

Whilst the Germans are on the way home already. 

What is this madness?

5 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I love that we're actually seriously discussing which side of the draw will get us to the final easier :D:D

I know right, theres people who actually want us to win the World Cup by beating a bunch of minnows instead of taking out all big named countries

We're winning it regardless, might as well do it with prestige 

3 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

:cool:

Can't believe they didn't get an open top bus parade around Trafalgar square for bringing that beauty home! 

They were saving it for the 98 World Cup parade but we were cheated by some corrupt shithouse of a ref 

Wales would have had one for coming 4th in it 

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Come on, do you really believe that?

Yea. They have an inflated rep because of what they did at last World Cup, a lot changes in 4 years in football. They have no players to fear and just your normal South American side. Of their 7 wins in qualifying, 6 were against sides that finished bottom 4, with other being Peru at home who they also drew with away last game to qualify. 

34 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Yea. They have an inflated rep because of what they did at last World Cup, a lot changes in 4 years in football. They have no players to fear and just your normal South American side. Of their 7 wins in qualifying, 6 were against sides that finished bottom 4, with other being Peru at home who they also drew with away last game to qualify. 

Oh wow...you weren't just trolling, you're actually serious.

Interesting.

30 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

'Your normal South American side' - great analysis :D

Not the Brazil/Argentina/Uruaguy level of the past. Swap them with Chile and people would be fearing Chile too, which says it all. 

Not seen one person say why we should avoid them. So why should we?

What have Brazil done the last three World Cups? One Semi Final where they were humiliated and two Quarter Final exits. I mean I’d still rather avoid them and play Sweden/Switzerland but the way the media have them pegged as world beaters every time is mad. Certainly don’t fear them like I would have feared Germany. About time we gave them a spanking.

Just now, JDownie said:

I don't get why you're all so certain Colombia will even get through. Senegal can easily get a draw or even win against them. 

Going off this thread I thought they were already through or something, not 3rd in a **** easy group 

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Going off this thread I thought they were already through or something, not 3rd in a **** easy group 

Exactly. 

After one game it looked like they were out. They beat a **** Poland side and all of a sudden they're world beaters who England should fear, totally forgetting that they are 3rd place, must win and to top the group need Japan to lose to a **** Poland :D

3 minutes ago, JDownie said:

I don't get why you're all so certain Colombia will even get through. Senegal can easily get a draw or even win against them. 

That also brings up another point that always seems to get forgotten.  People see the big teams struggling and somehow the draw has opened up now.  But for the most part, the teams that are now there instead deserve to be.  Colombia could hurt both Belgium and England, but they could just as well be put out.  If they are, then it means Senegal have gotten a result, which hardly makes them a terrible team.  Just seems like a repeat of the "lol, Iceland" attitude that led to 2016's vintage of hilarity.

EDIT: I've talked up Colombia, because if they play to their full abilities, they will be very, very dangerous.  They'll also have to be that good today to even get out of the group.  I don't subscribe to the view that if Colombia don't go through, then it's this somehow diddy half of the draw, and any side will just sweep Senegal/Japan aside.

Archived