It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, forameuss said:

That also brings up another point that always seems to get forgotten.  People see the big teams struggling and somehow the draw has opened up now.  But for the most part, the teams that are now there instead deserve to be.  Colombia could hurt both Belgium and England, but they could just as well be put out.  If they are, then it means Senegal have gotten a result, which hardly makes them a terrible team.  Just seems like a repeat of the "lol, Iceland" attitude that led to 2016's vintage of hilarity.

I also think Senegal will threaten England more with their pace on the counter from Niang, Mané and Baldé. Compare that to Colombia's counter attacks led by Falcao... 

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Yeh but they're 3rd because they played a match with 10. I think the assumption is that they wouldn't be losing to Japan with a full team.

They went down to 10 men because 1 of their players stopped a goal with their arm ffs :D 

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

That wasn't really his point though :-/

Its a silly point though, trying to say yeah Colombia would have beat Japan had they not been down to 10 men, but they went down to 10 men because they had to stop a goal with a player's arm 

I think Colombia, like any side, haven't reached top gear and have probably underperformed (didn't see their second game), but there's no doubt that Colombia, and nations of similar levels, are capable of putting a quality performance in. As England are.

9 minutes ago, JDownie said:

I also think Senegal will threaten England more with their pace on the counter from Niang, Mané and Baldé. Compare that to Colombia's counter attacks led by Falcao... 

A lot of the unheralded teams are more dangerous than given credit

13 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Balde hasn't played a single minute yet.

13 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

They went down to 10 men because 1 of their players stopped a goal with their arm ffs :D 

You've missed the point. The reason is irrelevant. The fact is they played a match with 10. The general line of thinking is that they wouldn't lose with 11 players

21 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Exactly. 

After one game it looked like they were out. They beat a **** Poland side and all of a sudden they're world beaters who England should fear, totally forgetting that they are 3rd place, must win and to top the group need Japan to lose to a **** Poland :D

That’s the “It’s coming home” attitude. :)

51 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

You've missed the point. The reason is irrelevant. The fact is they played a match with 10. The general line of thinking is that they wouldn't lose with 11 players

Would have been 1-0 down very early on if they hadn't cheated though. Weird to think they would have gone on to win, especially when they look so terrible today.

10 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Would have been 1-0 down very early on if they hadn't cheated though. Weird to think they would have gone on to win, especially when they look so terrible today.

Colombia were crap that second half too. People talk about 10 men but it effected them for an entire 45mins? Should have paced themselves better so they could have at least offered something for 15-20mins. Physically they've been way behind Senegal here too. 

I think it's more a case of 1/2 man team. Shut-up James and Quintero and the rest look ordinary. 

Just now, Pukey said:

Sweden and Switzerland won't be byes. Switzerland drew with Brazil who many people seem to be terrified of for a start.

I honestly don't rate either that highly. They're just organised which is a huge advantage over teams which lack that discipline, invariably not from Europe. But against decent opposition who are equally organised with much more going forward it's not enough. 

2 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

I honestly don't rate either that highly. They're just organised which is a huge advantage over teams which lack that discipline, invariably not from Europe. But against decent opposition who are equally organised with much more going forward it's not enough. 

We should beat them, but in a one off game? They can easily get a 1-0 win. We need to get to the QF first anyway and winning the group gives us the best chance of doing that.

Can you imagine playing Brazil after Japan, Panama, Tunisia and Belgium's 2nd XI?

Talk about a jump in quality and the need to significantly adjust. Flies in the face of the momentum argument for me, a reality check might not be a bad thing or at least a bit of a challenge before facing a widely regarded 'better' team.

Assuming Brazil beat Mexico, I'd prefer the Colombia then Sweden/Swiss route. 

Thinking about what the bookies odds on the To Qualify market might be, I guess it would give England a 40% chance to get past Colombia and Sweden/Swiss and a 30% chance to get past Japan then Mexico. That chance increases further if James Rodriguez is injured.

Had Japan topped the group, finishing 2nd would have been a massive advantage of course, not so much of an issue now.

Japan are terrible and England will beat them easily.

Colombia are a better and more of a threat, but I think England will beat them as well. And Colombia is then offset by Sweden or Switzerland. Would still definitely prefer 2nd place.

We need to get to the quarters in the first place, coming top and playing Japan gives us the best chance of doing that. Get top, play Japan and (hopefully) win, then worry about the quarters then.

Obviously torn now. Much rather have Japan over Colombia, but then the other path avoids Brazil. toss up. At least you can make an argument for both, can watch tonight’s game now and not mind either way. Rather than having to cheer against England which would have been weird.

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Obviously torn now. Much rather have Japan over Colombia, but then the other path avoids Brazil. toss up. At least you can make an argument for both, can watch tonight’s game now and not mind either way. Rather than having to cheer against England which would have been weird.

England did well against Brazil last time, only a friendly though:

1 minute ago, Federico said:

Do you really guys think Colombia will let you a free pass to the QF?

It's a 50-50 for me.

It was either playing weak Japan and facing stronger teams afterwards or playing strong Colombia and facing weaker teams afterwards. In theory. Southgate couldn't win either way. So, everyone may as well believe and enjoy.

5 minutes ago, Federico said:

Do you really guys think Colombia will let you a free pass to the QF?

It's a 50-50 for me.

It's definitely not a free pass (cough..Iceland). If we can't beat the likes of Colombia though we definitely wouldn't have beaten Brazil anyway.

The negativity in the other thread is dampening my buzz, man :(

Actually delighted that we so ruthlessly threw that game and are on this side of the draw. 

England vs Colombia in the 2nd is a proper world cup game 

IT'S. COMING. HOME.  Great performance from the lads after the match too, some youngsters in there without much media experience and they have come out and talked about being disappointed and actually sounded fairly convincing.

5 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

The negativity in the other thread is dampening my buzz, man :(

Actually delighted that we so ruthlessly threw that game and are on this side of the draw. 

England vs Colombia in the 2nd is a proper world cup game 

Yep after that first half performance there was nothing to be gained from a draw or even a win imo as this 'momentum thing' was already gone. So it makes sense to be on the 'easier' side of the draw and that's where we find ourselves so it's far from doom or gloom. 

Fatigue shouldn't be under-rated either and they've all had a good rest. 

Archived