What weird FM superstitions do you have?

13 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

In 2D, the cursor must rest in a very specific spot between highlights. If it does not, bad things will happen.

I've seen the code, I know this to be true. Honest.

I've been this way since CM93, I remember flipping out at my brother nudging the desk and the cursor moved and I immediately conceded a goal and that was it - never again.

My first choice goalkeeper and backup must have jersey numbers 1 and 13 respectively. 

I almost always pick my team from the main squad screen (once I'm familiar with the players, roles and tactics)

When using 3D, I will change the angle and zoom of the TV camera depending which ground I'm playing at. I'll also use the reverse camera if I feel it's at the wrong side of the ground. 

I almost always use the 'encourage' shout at the very start of a game, and the 'get creative' one at the start of the 2nd half. 

If I'm winning 1-0 with 10 mins to go, unless I get an injury, I don't make any subs as I'm terrified the recalculation of the score will cause an equaliser :lol:

I'm sure there's many more...

Well, regarding the mouse - i put it where it is close to the Substitute Player button but does not have a mouse over...i tinhk that is fully reasonable...

And yeah, my GK Number one wears Number 13 if not 1 bcs i had one time a GK that somehow got the 13 and he was one of the best i ever had...

And i totally do not like if my Teams does not wear the right colours...

I play all my matches in my garden shed with a tracksuit on. I even have just eat deliver to me in there.  I usually have the same driver and he’s now used to watching my matches. He’s now giving me advice so he’s unofficially my ass man. 

When i'm down 1-0 in the last 10 minutes or so, i'll watch the full match, and i have to stand up! You know, my team can't score when i sit down...

And I think i'm not the only one who goes full Simeone :);) 

I play the harsh manager (even when it has been a ME bug) that i take off any defensive player making poor pass/defensive job leading to a goal (including GK) I’m just like “nah, get off.. you’re finished” 😅

I also make sure my strikers score pass their 13th goal as quickly as possible, cause... ya know.. 13, right? *ahem* 😑

I also sell players who beg for first team opportunities that in my kindness hand them a start then gets a red card, that very game uttering the words under my breath “you’ll never play for this club again!”

20 hours ago, Constantine said:

And i always clear entire team selection after the game ended so ME don't target my first XI with injuries.

😲 I might have a new superstition now.

Never shout before 25mins

Curser has to be just to the left of pause so it's an arrow.

The last 'continue' before going to match has to be done via space bar

* I never save the game before away matches and after a loss. Before saving, all news items must be read and must not involve any topic to respond to (e.g. send ill players home, transfer enquiries...)

* When the game is saving, I stand up and turn away, because even slight breath can cause the save to corrupt.

*After the game is saved, I must head to the "Assistant report of team talk's feedback" to ensure my players have got adequate  teamtalk and that the teamtalk was correct before match, half- and fulltime. This is to ensure the morale is still good before quitting.

* Before I really quit the game (FM 2007), I must  first look at the white search bar at the top left to ensure it is empty- despite I never use it. Then I must look to the News icon on lower left to ensure it's empty.  Then I must hover the mouse button over it to display "News" only to drag it away, so the farewell process is complete. 

*Then I take my USB key where I make backup FM saves every 2-3 months ingame. I put the USB key in, but when the new window appears, I don't minimize it, I close it. Then I head to My Docs/FM... folder, copy the save to the USB key, carefully monitoring the progress bar. At the end I compare both saves in FM folder and the USB key and also I must ensure both numbers (of GBs) match.

* I never watch the penalty kicks in k.o. rounds.

* I never use keyboard shortcuts, the only exception is F4 and spacebar.

* I rarely or never use "Back" button, instead i go directly to the News inbox. 

Edited by Ales

In the old days of commentary only; NEVER celebrate until goal showed up on screen or else it would be disallowed. 

Hold the mouse at all times.  When playing against another human player, the coin toss would decide which party held the mouse for which half of the game.

Never press back once you've selected your lineup and proceed to match button pressed.

21 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Everybody's knows that in 2D cursor must rest above the opponent net, otherwise you won't score. 

This is a well knowned bug since FM05. :D

erm, this is not really true :D

Mine is a bit stupid - When I find a tactic successful in one match I always try to play it in all the other saves without any valid ground. Because it worked once, it must be a miracle tactic.

Also I tend to sub 1 player from defense, midfield and attack in every match. Despite not being necessary and reasonable.

I save my game even after only 1 minor change has been made from the last save when I quit the game, because... just because.

Well not sure if it is a superstition but I hate stopping when I am winning. It doesn't mean that the next time I get to play, I will lose the game. But it might mean that I lose my rhythm of how I was doing things or rotating players.

On 11/12/2019 at 17:16, CaptainPlanet said:

Things like hovering the cursor in a certain place?!

I remember on the old CM games when the cursor became a ball. I had to put it inside a goal if there were one in the background. Top corner if I could.

This thread is a great read. I guess I have a few superstitions:

1. I aways have Google Maps open on my second monitor and I have the aerial view of the ground I am playing my current match up. Even if the ground is just a field...and many are in the Welsh lower leagues. I've seen the world via FM. Some Norwegian grounds are in lovely places.
  2. I never assign shirt number 13 unless a player wants it. I'm not really suspicious about 13 in real life, it just feels right in FM.
  3. The mouse cursor lives bottom right, slightly off screen.

On 12/12/2019 at 08:42, gladman1 said:

I play all my matches in my garden shed with a tracksuit on. I even have just eat deliver to me in there.  I usually have the same driver and he’s now used to watching my matches. He’s now giving me advice so he’s unofficially my ass man. 

I love this.

3 hours ago, anagain said:
  1. I aways have Google Maps open on my second monitor and I have the aerial view of the ground I am playing my current match up. Even if the ground is just a field...and many are in the Welsh lower leagues. I've seen the world via FM. Some Norwegian grounds are in lovely places.

This is a great idea

Any press conference to do with things like "Goalkeeper has been on a good run of clean sheets recently" etc always get answered with the boring response which is equivalent to just ignoring the question, as any other response is guaranteed to jinx it

After every time my team scores a goal, I must uncross my legs and then cross them the opposite way to how they were crossed when the goal was scored. If I happen to not have had my legs crossed (rare), I must then cross them.

NEVER make a sub or change the tactic when the opposition has the ball. They will score before the change is even made.

A common mistake is to change into a defensive tactic just after you scored a goal to go up. It is better to wait until you recover possession, or else they will score on their first play from kick off.