Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Svenc said:

Stuff like that should be eyed closely, as they may be a part of why Players can rack up this many shots (on target) with barely scoring, despite their tactics de facto struggling to break defenses down. It's been too easy to get shots off from the set piece imo for a couple releases at least. Those headers are oftenly just typically saved though (and at masses see a Rating bump for the keeper…) Looking at FM's stats, it Looks as if Teams would tore a defense a new one. When almost all of those shots from premium positions come off set pieces though, (Blue dots here) ….. really not so much.

2HCSDGR.png

It's hard to tell how "spot on" FM is. But this would be the average conversion in Football going by type of assist and Location. It's not taking the specific pressure in the Situation into account though (which will be high on the set piece, packed box and all). Headers are harder to score than kicks. And the next time somebody argued FM Matches would end 7-7 if all of those one on ones from difficult angles would be scored… 

Heads_vs_Feet_final.png

As of Vardy vs rest of the league. Would be interesting if you took a look at how many shots per match average he got, and compare that to the AI Forwards. From my experience, there are very few if any AI central forwards who would have more than 4 shots per game average (Messi IRL 5, Kane at his best ditto, Lewandowski this season in the BL 5 - in the CL 6;  CR7 7). This can be either gauged from the fwd's profile -- or you can enter a column into each squad's screen that says "shots per 90 Minute". The seasonal number of Goals is Always going to fluctuate by random Chance (and Vardy may not be able to repeat), the number of shots much less so. It seems Pretty apparent that the AI wider guys get more SOT though (Mane, Pepe), probably due to That ME Issue talked about. The SOT conversion of Kane for instance is fine. THat's almost a Goal every 2nd SOT. He would simply Need a lot more of those (preferably some from actual open Play as opposed to the set piece to boot :D) . Some of this will be AI tactical, some of which ME inherent (striker movement)

As of the tactics, there is Nothing much  defensive About your primary tactics to me. The Formation is a fairly top heavy one to boot. Your left flank is wide open too, no less as there's a big gap between the defensive IWB who also Comes inside to leave that open,and the left advanced guy. May be worthwile to check in the Analysis from which side of the pitch the Goals are coming from, and is one for the tactics Forum either way. :D Note that you shipped those massive Goals in a sequence of coming against one of the three big dogs though, two of which should be amongst the strongest Teams in the db. And United, well, they won it all. :D

Here are some end of season comparisons. One issue I've found with this save is that Barnes, Maddison and Tielemens all have the player trait of 'Shoots from distance'. I find that traits in general influence behaviour far too much, to the point where they undermine what your system is trying to achieve:

image.thumb.png.c93e56b1f5fe5eb156eedf0ffab9fc2c.png

image.thumb.png.a566622d87016d2e918614b677a112dc.png

image.thumb.png.b38d4596e0711d0ccbc49288c1b6d987.png

My assist analysis:

image.thumb.png.6c13fd03ab6bd23451be73cf6e2dd75d.png

CCC conversion rate was 57%. Would you say this was on the low side or about right? I know you have zero faith in the metrics for CCCs in-game!

image.thumb.png.75376fd66aac9e48304cba0ac341ce14.png 

image.png

The strikers goals' number Is a real issue in particular in full details League.

In my season in Hungarian premier, the best scorer made 12 in 29. 

To find a worst record we have to go back at 1901-02 with Manno scored 10.

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

15 hours ago, Svenc said:

Did you download on of those CHinese firecracker tactics somewhere? Explanations to the suspicious in this thread. I've never had anything near this on any release of FM ever until I went all illogical bonkers tactics (which the game allows, as a Football Simulation game).

nothing d/l at all, no tactics, leagues, skins, name-fixes, nothing, just a basic 4-1-4-1 DM wide.

13 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

FWIW there is no requirement for a whistle on corners (at all) or free-kicks (unless a caution/dismissal has occurred, or the referee has set up the wall), so there's no need for it there. Penalties and offside do need the whistle though.

it happens on cautions/reds, penalties etc. Its not a fixed pattern, its a bug.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

To be fair @rbayly 9th is some good going compared to AI Rogers, I've seen Leicester relegated on some holiday saves, Rogers getting the sack, Bielsa coming in & still going down. Vardy usually finishes the season on sub 10 goals 

Yes, perhaps my expectations were skewed owed to their current position in the EPL.

Evans moved with the fluidity of a sloth, Soyuncu can't head simple balls away and the full backs couldn't tackle to save their lives.

Edited by rdbayly

4 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

Tried that still the same.

I'm giving up on 20 for the time being. I can't watch matches with the fans on my 2 month old gaming laptop racing and sound like they're about to take off. Didn't happen in the beta or until I updated to the newest patch. Going back to 17 for now. Appreciate it's probably not something the devs can sort out, but find it strange that it's only doing this once I've updated the game.

That's strange maybe it's your laptop, has it taken on heavy games prior to FM? Tbf i've played the demo so it may have changed, not sure how much it's best asking likes of the SI who are on here or even some mods. Maybe make a bug/topic to see if its happened to anyone else. Demo for me got it hot but stayed to a decent amount when i put eveything on low apart from mact graph and I use a i5 clocking in at 2.5 ghz. 

The weirdest thing is that the original beta ME was brilliant, I pre-ordered the game ages ago and didn't realise there'd be a couple of weeks of beta before release so was pleasantly surprised and getting to play sooner.  

And I hate changing versions, I came from 6,000 hours or so of FM16 finally deciding to go for a new version, but found myself quite easily settling in to the new format, layout and watching and analysing matches.

And the early beta build was great, the ME worked, I could see my players carrying out what I was asking them to do, if I lost I could see why, I could see huge improvements on decision making and the ME in general compared to FM16.

Then the patch came and it all went to ****. I thought that it would change again in live as the beta bugs forum showed lots of feedback of "WTF HAVE YOU DONE". I've been really surprised at the lack of difference from the latest beta engine and what has gone live.

14 minutes ago, BigV said:

That's strange maybe it's your laptop, has it taken on heavy games prior to FM? Tbf i've played the demo so it may have changed, not sure how much it's best asking likes of the SI who are on here or even some mods. Maybe make a bug/topic to see if its happened to anyone else. Demo for me got it hot but stayed to a decent amount when i put eveything on low apart from mact graph and I use a i5 clocking in at 2.5 ghz. 

I've had similar issues with my PC, plus constant DXGI crashes since beta. Game is currently unplayable for me. My 3D is rated 5 stars by the game, game speed also 5 stars, drivers up to date. My PC handles games like Nba 2k or Madden without problems (not a single crash or overheating). There are a lot of threads about this in bug forum (including mine of course) so most likely an issue not depending on our machines.

When people do score, what's the variety of their goals like?

Could a few people have a look through say their last 10 matches and see how many are set pieces, how many are midfielder long shots, how many are tapping in a rebound from a keeper save, and then how many are strikers scoring open play "normal" goals?

33 minutes ago, BigV said:

Nope. Literally the only games that are on it are FM17, FM19 and FM20. It was fine before the newest patch, strange that it's happened now, but I'm sure all I'll get back from the devs is that it's my laptop, but I don't think it is as it's 2 months old.

For what it's worth, the specs are i7-8750H, Nvidia 1060GTX, 8GB ram.

17 minutes ago, kandersson said:

I've had similar issues with my PC, plus constant DXGI crashes since beta. Game is currently unplayable for me. My 3D is rated 5 stars by the game, game speed also 5 stars, drivers up to date. My PC handles games like Nba 2k or Madden without problems (not a single crash or overheating). There are a lot of threads about this in bug forum (including mine of course) so most likely an issue not depending on our machines.

Hope you're right man, bit heartbreaking splurging on a new lappy just for it do this after the new patch. I'll get a bug raised too.

2 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Hope you're right man, bit heartbreaking splurging on a new lappy just for it do this after the new patch. I'll get a bug raised too.

To save you time, I suggest you provide the following info on first post otherwise you could go on for a month: dxdiag, crash dump attached, clear cache, uninstall and re-install drivers.

14 minutes ago, kandersson said:

To save you time, I suggest you provide the following info on first post otherwise you could go on for a month: dxdiag, crash dump attached, clear cache, uninstall and re-install drivers.

Thanks, not at my laptop just yet, but I've not had any crash dumps, drivers are up to date and I've cleared cache and preferences too.

33 minutes ago, CaptainPlanet said:

Could a few people have a look through say their last 10 matches and see how many are set pieces, how many are midfielder long shots, how many are tapping in a rebound from a keeper save, and then how many are strikers scoring open play "normal" goals?

1865841329_LeedsUnited_Match.thumb.png.1a1c08dd50e5a39bd540e1b7007e480e.png855898138_LeedsUnited_Goals.thumb.png.2402d839e49bfefccaee235b8a76cc69.png

Not much to show yet as i am tinkering with tactics and include 2 friendlies . Not sure if there is place to see how many goals come from CCC, but for now it has not been much as I seen.

10 minutes ago, saihtam said:

1865841329_LeedsUnited_Match.thumb.png.1a1c08dd50e5a39bd540e1b7007e480e.png855898138_LeedsUnited_Goals.thumb.png.2402d839e49bfefccaee235b8a76cc69.png

Not much to show yet as i am tinkering with tactics and include 2 friendlies . Not sure if there is place to see how many goals come from CCC, but for now it has not been much as I seen.

If you rewatch the goals you've scored from those matches, how many of those goals inside the penalty area are directly from a midfielder pass or cross? And how many are from taking a penalty or scoring a rebounded save?

1 hour ago, CaptainPlanet said:

My strikers scored 6 goals of 11 goals from open, normal play.
1 Midfielder Long shot (from about 18 meters)
No tap-ins from a keeper save.
Set-pieces: 1 header, 3 shots (although one could arguably be considered open play, depending on how long one says set-pieces last).

Total: 15 goals in 10 matches.
Total striker goals: 11 out of 15.
Total midfielder goals: 3
Total defender goals: 1

1681408577_Merknad2019-11-27140617.thumb.jpg.34ee21501aaa3452bc088c47eccfa9a9.jpg157946750_Merknad2019-11-27140709.thumb.jpg.b56031d1df6420528b288d9f0782fae1.jpg202272268_Merknad2019-11-27140730.thumb.jpg.ae83016e6a6bf623f3564a685f24b40f.jpg1880091265_Merknad2019-11-27140817.thumb.jpg.5434f0ff9a0ac230ab55b5ed14691109.jpg

Edited by roykela

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

The Demo does get updated.

Thanks. So I am just a rubbish tactician afterwards :D

Still there are aspects of the game I like. It looks more smooth to me. Interface is better. Even tho I do not reaaly get why the U23 and U 19 squads are no longer accessible via side menu

23 minutes ago, CaptainPlanet said:

If you rewatch the goals you've scored from those matches, how many of those goals inside the penalty area are directly from a midfielder pass or cross? And how many are from taking a penalty or scoring a rebounded save?

Switched computer so cant check now. As it is early season and tinkering not many goals have from purely midfield passes. There have been more rebound goals, but the build up to achieve these i have been pleased - good goals will come. I have 18 and 20 year old strikers so I cant expect wonders from them all the time. There has been headers from cross and corner.

Could've easily missed this but are people getting massive wage demands from young foreign players? 17 year old Colombian kid, £650,000 transfer fee whose current ability my scouts say conference but the opening demand is £100K p/w!  

Screenshot 2019-11-27 14.14.01.png

Edited by hodge13

6 minutes ago, hodge13 said:

Could've easily missed this but are people getting massive wage demands from young foreign players? 17 year old Colombian kid, £650,000 transfer fee whose current ability my scouts say conference but the opening demand is £100K p/w! 

Those estimated wages (bottom right) don't quite compare do they?  That's pretty massive for a 17 year old and one I'd be tempted to raise in the Bugs forum, both from a wage demand perspective and just how wrong your scout has been.

34 minutes ago, hodge13 said:

25 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Those estimated wages (bottom right) don't quite compare do they?  That's pretty massive for a 17 year old and one I'd be tempted to raise in the Bugs forum, both from a wage demand perspective and just how wrong your scout has been.

Guessing here, but could be do with work permits? In that, that wage would enable him to get one.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

Guessing here, but could be do with work permits? In that, that wage would enable him to get one.

I remember seeing this flagged in the Beta feedback thread and it was acknowledged as being a bug by someone from SI. I believe it was fixed for release but I'd be interested to know if the fix was save game compatible @Neil Brock?

38 minutes ago, hodge13 said:

Just be careful too, he's pretty volatile 

Hi guys

After the 20.1.4 update, every time I load my saved game, and start playing again, I have experienced problems during the match.

I play my matches showing highlights in 2D, and just when the first highlight is coming on, it freezes for about 30 seconds, and then it runs fine, the rest of the match. The problem occures again, when going to the half time screen, where it again freezes, and going to the post match screen.

Sometimes, it helps to shut down and load again, other times it works fine, after a few matches, but tonight it just keep going on. Is this related to the Match Engine lag, or is it something else?

Didn't have this problem before the 20.1.4 update or in other FM versions.

Edited by Clausdk

Although I'm a fan of the current build, there are one or two minor annoyances for me that seem to be creeping in. 

1. This was also in the first beta build, but sometimes shots are hit with a velocity that a machine would struggle to manage, never mind a human leg, it can look a bit silly at times. They nerfed this for the 2016 build (still the best build of this year's engine), but it's back again. Not in huge numbers though. 

2. The way some highlights start almost at the end of the highlight. For example, a highlight will pop up and all you see is the ball hitting the back of the net. You then need to watch the replay to see what actually happened. Thankfully, this is quite rare, but it does happen. 

Other than that, it's fine for me, although I'm still struggling to get a tactic to work properly. But that's just me, and always has been. 

4 hours ago, CaptainPlanet said:

Hard to do since my game is on the new season but in the Continental matches (Europa League qualifying, Motherwell, playing crappy semi-pro teams so expect it to be skewed):

12 placed shots,

2 powerful shots,

2 overhead kicks (this is incorrect, there's been 0 but it's counting as that on the analyst screen),

3 headers,

1 penalty.

And the assists are:

3 corners,

3 free kicks,

1 short pass,

4 crosses,

1 mistake,

5 through balls.

And that counts:

6 CCC, 5 scored.

Actually now that I look back at the stats, surely there's a bug in the analyst screen? It is tracking overhead kicks? 14 for me and 6 for the opposition, I've never seen an overhead kick in FM20 yet.

Anyway that all doesn't add up, so I'm watching the games back and these are the goals:

1st Match 6-0:

1st Goal: LB crosses to the RB who first time volleys it into the top corner. He's in the box though, but it was a cracker of a goal. (1x cross)

2nd Goal: LB short passes to CM who smashes it from long range into the bottom corner. (1x short pass, 1 long shot)

3rd Goal: IF down the wing 'crosses' to the same CM, who first time volleys it from long range into the bottom corner. The cross is from halfway between the halfway line and the box. (2 x cross, 2x long shot)

4th Goal: Def passes from his own half to IF who dribbles through everyone and punts it in when he gets in the box. (1x through ball?)

5th Goal: Free kick tap in volley from the CB (1x F/K)

6th Goal: Corner, header. (1x Corner)

Hit woodwork: 3 times.

2nd Match: 6-0 (12-0)

1st Goal: Starts as a free-kick. CM crosses and IF heads in from 10 yards. (3x cross)

2nd Goal: Starts as free-kick. CM crosses, IF taps in at the near post from 7 yards out. (4x cross)

3rd Goal: Free-kick. CB tap in at far post. (2x f/k)

4th Goal: DLF long through ball to IF who goes into the box one on one but under chasing pressure from two, to score at the near post. (2x through ball)

5th Goal: "Opposition mistake", defender blocks a cross that falls to the IF with an open goal to tap in. (1x mistake)

6th Goal: IF crosses from byline for RW to volley in. (5x cross)

Hit woodwork: 5 times.

3rd Match: 6-0

1st Goal: Starts as a free-kick. RB crosses and IF from 8 yards heads it at the keeper who punches it into the net. (6x cross)

2nd Goal: Penalty (1x pen)

3rd Goal: Corner - header (2x corner)

4th Goal: LB Crosses, opposition defender heads clear to CM from 22 yards out who first time rockets it into the top corner long range goal. (3x long shot, dunno how to mark this assist)

5th Goal: Corner, CM crosses to DLF at far post for header. (7x cross))

6th Goal: Carbon copy of fourth goal but from different angle and further out for a worldie long range goal. (4x long shot)

Hit woodwork: 2 times.

4th Match: 0-1 (6-1)

-1 Goal: Freekick to back post for a header.

Hit woodwork: Once.

5th Match 1-1

-1 Goal: Solo run from some non-league Messi from his own box to outside mine for a long range punt that goes in on the post.

1st Goal: IF takes a shot that is blocked and falls to CM who volleys it in first time - goes down as opponent mistake. (2x mistake)

Woodwork: Once.

6th Match: 1-0 (2-1)

1st Goal: CM passes to IF who says 'sod it' and rifles it in from in excess of 30 yards into the top corner. (5x long shot, erm, it's not really a throughball but whatever.)

Woodwork: 4 times.

Tallying my own numbers (I suck at maths, so I might miscount here):

Corners: 2 (arguably 3 if you include the one that came from the cross)

Freekick: 3 (inline with the analyst)

Crosses: 7 (the analyst said 4. I'm counting 7 crosses, I don't think the two from the defender clearances count or it would be 9.)

Short passes: 1 (Agreed)

Through balls: 2 (not five, I'm guessing it is counting some crosses as through balls.)

Mistakes: 1, though commentary says 2...

Five (Six including opposition) long range worldies in six games, one per game on average.

Guess what I see doesn't correlate with what the analysis tools suggest. Plenty of them start out as set pieces though, aye. 

52 minutes ago, Soviet said:

So my club was taken over by new owner and the board signed two new players. I had nothing to do with it and couldn't cancel it in any way. "Whatever!" - I said, even though I'm doing a youth challenge. Now the board is dissapointed with me, because of the "finances involved with signing" these two players.

So the board sold my young prospect because that's something the board do. I managed to at least get a loan back until the end of season. The player is back after one day and after his first game a journalist asks me during the press conference if I would be interested in signing him permanently.

It's the small things that kill the immersion.

Yep, that's why I submitted my screenshots earlier in the thread. It's quality control in those areas that could do with more polishing. 

It seems a lot of users are having issues with FWs missing easy chances, one on ones, penalties etc. Do the developers consider this a big issue with the ME which needs addressing? Is this something that is being worked on or is it considered minor/ non issue?

Just curious if this is something we should expect to be patched in the near future?

16 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

It seems a lot of users are having issues with FWs missing easy chances, one on ones, penalties etc. Do the developers consider this a big issue with the ME which needs addressing? Is this something that is being worked on or is it considered minor/ non issue?

Just curious if this is something we should expect to be patched in the near future?

they will update it, but the way they are handling it, i mean they didn't try to interact with us at the forum, not mentioning what they are going to do is concerning.

The PR is just not there at all

26 minutes ago, robinthebest said:

they will update it, but the way they are handling it, i mean they didn't try to interact with us at the forum, not mentioning what they are going to do is concerning.

The PR is just not there at all

I don't expect them to go into detail, just would like to know if they consider certain issues I (and others) have with the ME serious enough to address or if they are satisfied with the current state. 

Despite the complaints here, I am seeing that the game has great reviews on a lot of publications so maybe they are satisfied. 

Edited by Mantis Toboggan

1 hour ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Tallying my own numbers (I suck at maths, so I might miscount here):

Corners: 2 (arguably 3 if you include the one that came from the cross)

Freekick: 3 (inline with the analyst)

Crosses: 7 (the analyst said 4. I'm counting 7 crosses, I don't think the two from the defender clearances count or it would be 9.)

Short passes: 1 (Agreed)

Through balls: 2 (not five, I'm guessing it is counting some crosses as through balls.)

Mistakes: 1, though commentary says 2...

Five (Six including opposition) long range worldies in six games, one per game on average.

Guess what I see doesn't correlate with what the analysis tools suggest. Plenty of them start out as set pieces though, aye. 

And from the breakdown you've given, it doesn't look like your strikers scored anything from open play?

Just now, Mantis Toboggan said:

I don't expect them to go into detail, just would like to know if they consider certain issues I (and others) have with the ME serious enough to address or if they are satisfied with the current state. 

Going by the replies in the bugs thread there's a lot of "internal testing doesn't show this but we'll monitor it" responses, or "we're aware of an issue and it's under review" 

Think that's as much as you're likely to get from them.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Is this supposed to crop up...

Untitled.thumb.png.39ec87c8dbbe27d534c3facaf1251bfc.png

Seeing as fluidity is no longer a thing? Might be a tad confusing

Can see what you're saying ,but we do have some control over it - it's just 'managed' differently. Adjusting roles/duties will also alter the shape.

BTW: How on earth did you get Pep as your Assistant?

1 minute ago, Snorks said:

Can see what you're saying ,but we do have some control over it - it's just 'managed' differently. Adjusting roles/duties will also alter the shape.

BTW: How on earth did you get Pep as your Assistant?

Arr, I know, but it means squat & Pep's going on about creative freedom as if it affects it 

It's a mess about save, create a club with Pep edited to be my ass man :D

4 hours ago, Boss said:

I remember seeing this flagged in the Beta feedback thread and it was acknowledged as being a bug by someone from SI. I believe it was fixed for release but I'd be interested to know if the fix was save game compatible @Neil Brock?

Is this true? I’m pretty sure it is 

I've been playing FM since fm12, but this is the first version I do "commentary only" when playing a match. The ridiculousness of the ME was driving me nuts, but now I don't see any of it! Sorta enjoying the game now.

I distinctly remember watching matches on full back in fm18 and 16 to fine-tune my tactics. What the hell is the point in it now if your wingers won't cross, your strikers will miss every 1v1, and your opponent will score 40-yard howitzers (even in conference north)?

6 minutes ago, karabas15 said:

I've been playing FM since fm12, but this is the first version I do "commentary only" when playing a match. The ridiculousness of the ME was driving me nuts, but now I don't see any of it! Sorta enjoying the game now.

I distinctly remember watching matches on full back in fm18 and 16 to fine-tune my tactics. What the hell is the point in it now if your wingers won't cross, your strikers will miss every 1v1, and your opponent will score 40-yard howitzers (even in conference north)?

At least you know why you've lost 0-1 after having 25 shots and 65% of possession against the an opponent with 1 shot on target all match

This is the worst match engine I have ever seen.

Goals are either from set pieces, long shots or rebounds. 'Normal' in-play goals aren't being scored. It's so predictable. Players keep running from the wing and then hoofing it wide or into the side netting.

I hope SI are aware of this and a patch is coming, because it's game-breaking. 

9 minutes ago, The Danimal said:

Goals are either from set pieces, long shots or rebounds. 'Normal' in-play goals aren't being scored. It's so predictable. Players keep running from the wing and then hoofing it wide or into the side netting.

Check out some earlier posts on this very page. That is not necessarily the case.

-EDIT-
Well, of course my reply ended up on a different page :D
Have a look through page 39.

Edited by roykela

37 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

At least you know why you've lost 0-1 after having 25 shots and 65% of possession against the an opponent with 1 shot on target all match

You know, I don't mind this kind of stuff if it happens occasionally, because it happens in the real world sometimes too. And "knowing why" doesn't really help if the answer is "because the ME is absurd".

11 minutes ago, The Danimal said:

Agreed. My team scores a lot of goals, but vast majority of those are total flukes. Own goals, playing pinball after a corner, 40-yard screamers, etc. Real goals that look like they could realistically happen? Very rare.