[FM20] Teams To Manage

BadAss88

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As always with the BETA release I'll be going with my team Newcastle, as I am fairly familiar with the players etc that I have to start with, and always enjoy doing things right. Hopefully a quick takeover will happen too!

As usual will be playing as Chelsea, but this year definitely feels different.

With the transfer ban, losing Hazard and key injuries to initially contend with. And I also don't expect the youngsters to quite hit the ground running like they have in real life, I think the first season will be much more difficult than previous versions.

Just having a quick look of the BETA too, and the board's expectations look pretty similar to usual, so it should provide a bigger challenge.

Having said that if the first season can be navigated then the future looks very bright as there are a lot of highly rated and high potential young players at the club.

I'm playing Leicester for the beta. I usually play a save with United, but I'm really in love with my FM19 say with them, so when I get the United itch I'm just gonna go back and play that save. My main save is going to be either St. Etienne or Boavista, leaning towards the former. I want to return them to their former glory (for those who don't know Boavista is one of only two clubs outside of the Big Three in Portugal to with the title, and St. Etienne are in their 100th year, are 10x French champions, 6x French Cup winners and were runners up in Europe in 75-76)

Ipswich is the save for me! Relegated from the Championship in disgrace, a decent turnaround in real life. It will be interesting to see if I can replicate this in FM, or whether I will continue their downward spiral!

Beta save wise I am looking at maybe Bournemouth or Leicester to get grips with the ME.

On 31/10/2019 at 14:10, NyanOverlord said:

Gonna start with Spurs this year since you basically forced to sell Toby and Eriksen at the start - lots of money to re-invest.

I started with Spurs.  I immediately asked the board to buy Sancho.  Because he's young and English (club philosophy), they agreed.  Cost like $112M and drained my transfer budget.  Then sold Eriksen for $90M (could have been more, but I didn't want him in the EPL, so he went to PSG) and Toby for $30M, so I have those funds to use .  So I essentially had a $232M transfer budget!

I'm having fun with Barnsley. Pinned down for relegation, they actually have a decent time. Currently 8th in January 2 points away from play offs. Forced a FA cup replay against Chelsea when we were away. Signed no one. Very young team also and cannot sign anyone over 28.

Feel free to test the team I'm the researcher for, Egersund (Egersunds IK). The player squad is up to date, with updated PPMs, as well as youth players. Some small fixes (contracts etc) is coming for the official release date (hopefully).

It's one of the best teams in the Norwegian second divison, but they somehow never manage to achieve promotion, with two 2nd places, a 3rd, and a 4th in recent times.

The club has relatively good facilities and coaches, two of the very best strikers in the league (Markus Naglestad scored a record amount of goals this season, and Bob Sumareh somewhat of a legend in the division), so it probably won't be too hard to achieve promotion if a player manages them.

Perugia to get started off this year for me. Get them promoted and back to being a solid Serie A side and then more.

Then after that I will do a long term Hamburg save. I also like the look of Leicester, Rennes, Fiorentina, Sporting Lisbon and PSV and will no doubt do my team and customary Newcastle save at some point. Plenty to keep me busy for a long while! Keegan and Robson are my footballing heroes so I like managing clubs with links to them.

Edited by Carlf788

Can't decide.. please help :)

Youth only challenge (holiday one season and play with a previous unplayable team- only youth intake allowed) in Iceland or Italy (anyone played in Iceland on this beta, no league issues ?)

or 

dafuge challenge  (holiday one season and play with a previous unplayable team in England - transfers allowed) in Engeland. After doing a few youth challenges last year, i'm preferring this one but still not sure if i like the transfer and scouting enough.. one of the advantages to start the youth challenge is that u don't have to think about the scouting and transfers .. 

What should i do ? and with who ?

Edited by OlivierL

Got a good thing going with NK Maribor, some great players who can be moved on for big fees, Zahovic, Kramaric, Pihler, Vrhovec, Kolansic. Got 3m plus addons for Zahovic, basically paid for a whole team of kids.

Loads of promising youngsters at other Slovenian clubs who can be signed on the cheap and be blooded in the league as the league is pretty poor.

Challenge is making it to the group stages in European competitions, once that hurdle is cleared you are rolling in cash.

Can't seem to get above 3k a week maximum wage though so forced to sell your stars before they leave for free. 

Edited by GXJ353

I'm currently playing with Bragantino (Brazilian second division). IRL they've already been promoted to Série A and are on their way to be Série B champions.

They've been bought by Red Bull this year, so in 2020 they will be called Red Bull Bragantino. Expect a lot of money coming through.

Bw Linz Austria 

One Bundesliga to there name there city rivals are flying can you take this team from a big city and topple the likes of Salzburg and rapid along with rivals LASK

Union SG Belgium 

historic club who has 3rd most titles in Belgium and the most successful pre war club can you take back Brussels from anderlecht 

Botev Plovdiv Bulgaria 

the oldest club in Bulgaria has recently seen the best facilities in the country built and new stadium on the way. Only have two top titles. Can you chase down ludogorets  

Ostrava czech 

sleeping giant of czech football well renowned for bringing through great players. They have some of the best fans as well the highest average attendance threw the 00’s

Breidbalk Iceland 

Iceland has led the way for small country football recently this club is on the front foot of there player development ideas producing the like of Sigurdsson, Finnbogason And Gudmundsson 

Zabrze Poland 

14 league titles joint most in Poland but hasn’t won the title since 1988 the club was runner up in the 1970 cup winner cup as well big sleeping giant  

If Brommapojkarna Sweden 

From Stockholm Is the largest team in Europe in terms of how many active teams it has at every age but the small compared to AIK, Hammarby and Djurgardens. The clubs youth academy has been rated the best in Sweden for the last 5 years producing the likes of Albin ekdal, John guidetti and the Augustinsson brothers great place for a youth academy challenge

Altinordu turkey

a turkish team breaking down all Turkish traditions of buy expensive has been players. The club has the best facilities in all of turkey and refuses to budge on its philosophy of youth academy players being the heartbeat. The likes of Cengiz Under, Caglar Soyuncu and Berke Ozer started there careers here. Another great youth academy 

On 01/11/2019 at 21:23, Pablo Sanchez said:

Western United in Australia new club.

Salzburg in Austria. 

Currently playing Western United. Fun to start at a club in their first year.

Don't forget Macarthur United in the same league - they start in the following season and start with nothing so you get to build the squad from scratch

Charlton Athletic

1st it is my local club so I'm a bit bias but this will be interesting save if you're fancy a bit of challenge.

- Used to be a premier league club but has been struggle in recent years.

- Good stadium and facilities.

- Almost zero transfer budget, tip to be relegate from Championship after just been promoted last year.

- Chairman is desperate to sell the club, tycoon takeover might be on the card for 2nd season.

@dothestrand I have a look in my save, there's a new owner taking over right in the first season so it could be interesting. They're not doing well though, came 23rd in the league.

They sold Lyle Tyler and bought no replacement so that's the main reason.

I'm waiting for the full game released before starting a new save with them. Current ME is really unreliable.

On 05/11/2019 at 15:39, OkMarius said:

Feel free to test the team I'm the researcher for, Egersund (Egersunds IK). The player squad is up to date, with updated PPMs, as well as youth players. Some small fixes (contracts etc) is coming for the official release date (hopefully).

It's one of the best teams in the Norwegian second divison, but they somehow never manage to achieve promotion, with two 2nd places, a 3rd, and a 4th in recent times.

The club has relatively good facilities and coaches, two of the very best strikers in the league (Markus Naglestad scored a record amount of goals this season, and Bob Sumareh somewhat of a legend in the division), so it probably won't be too hard to achieve promotion if a player manages them.

im going to give this a try, thanks

PSV Eindhoven are a great option to start as. I can't believe how many great young players they have. I'm currently enjoying playing as them, trying to emulate klopps liverpool with the 4-3-3 gengenpress. Got the best attack and defensive record in the league using it but gegenpressing does feel a bit overpowered. 

Bergwijn and Bruma are fantastic wingers and Ihatarren is a genuine top wonderkid. Zoet in goal, Madem up front and Hendrix in midfield are Champoons league quality players too. I just sold Ihatarren to Newcastle for 52m in January 2020! That's something which has improved for me better bids for your players from other clubs. I was expecting a measly bid of around 8m when I seen they had bid and got a big shock when it was 45m, seen as he is 17 and barely played for me yet. 

I also sold Pablo Rosario and Denzel Dumfries's as well as Bergwijn to Juventus for 32m as he wanted to leave so I now have over 180m in the bank and an 80m transfer budget! But with so many good young players ready to step up and replace them for zero cost. It's an exciting club to be. 

Top in January 6 pts ahead of Ajax and play Barcelona in the CL last 16. The long term aim is to add to PSV's 1 European cup.

Edited by Carlf788

On 17/10/2019 at 10:50, melogroovy said:

Newcastle, AS Monaco and Bolton

OK, changed my mind.  Newcastle first, then I want to do a Bundesliga 1 team where I'm just coach and rely on my DoF and youth to build the squad. I still want to do Bolton, am intrigued with Larne and of course a good ol' meandering journeyman save.

I am going to manage a lot of teams I have never managed before in FM2020, starting with FC Nantes.

I like the club's coulors, they have some good players there that I know of like Alban Lafont on loan from Fiorentina, Dennis Appiah, Rene Krhin, Molla Waque etc but other players I have never heard of but look good as well.

I also got Foden on loan from Man City and signed some unknown African players as I also like a hidden gem.

On 30/09/2019 at 07:56, dothestrand said:

I always play with my tried and tested teams in every game as FM20 will probably be no different:

England: Brentford or Charlton Athletic (it's rare I'd manage an EPL team straight out the bat - Norwich City might be the exception)

Italy: Palermo, though Fiorentina had a poor season last year and destroyed Milan last night in the San Siro (and have Ribery!) so might be a good bet.

Spain: Athletic Club though I should try a Real Sociedad save

Netherlands: AZ or Feyenoord and hope you can edge out Ajax and PSV

need to wait for the serie D database for palermo as they are 11 or 12 leagues down as i want to go those too great challenge to get them back up

Would recommend AZ Alkmaar, very talented young squad with a little bit of cash to play with. It is proving a decent challenge to break into the top 2 in the Netherlands, as is getting far in Europe!

I'm going into LLM and can't decide which team to manage. My options are Chesham United, Halesowen Town and Royston Town. 

I'm looking to make this my main save for FM20 so I'd stay with them until the next FM. So my question is, which one would you guys pick? Anyone who has some knowledge of lower league teams I'd appreciate some input. 

I'm testing the game with Bayern, but I sorted myself a list:

England: Ipswich, Maidstone, Notts County and Coventry.

Germany: Kaiserslautern, TSV 1860 Munich, Mainz.

Holland: Feyenoord (strange, because I grew up in Amsterdam), Sparta, Roda JC.

Belgium: Anderlecht, Lokeren.

Italy: Monza, Chievo, Venezia, Milan.

Botafogo-RJ, basically Brazil's most traditional with the less trophies won team. Many historical great players like Nilton Santos, Didi, Garrincha and Jairzinho. Club is now 21 years without winning a major title, and their main rival Flamengo has just won the Copa Libertadores and the League.

Vasco da Gama: A falling giant. After huge successes in the 80s, 90s, 00s and early 10s, Vasco is now broken. A major financial crisis made the club step down from fighting for titles or continental qualification to fighting relegation time and time again. Home of great players like Romário, Edmundo and Coutinho. Also Flamengo's main rival, the team who just won the Libertadores and the Brasileirão.

Fluminense: Another of Flamengo's rivals, the one who was the good Rio de Janeiro team earlier in the decade has been through some bad management and is now also fighting against relegation. There are a few interesting players still at club, such as PH Ganso and Nenê. Historical great players: Marcelo, Thiago Silva, Fred, Deco.

Atlético Mineiro: Another very traditional club with not many titles, but very interesting to play with. Their rival Cruzeiro is now with a huge advantage trophy-wise, with 3 more Leagues than Atlético, 5 more cups and 1 Libertadores ahead than Atlético. Try to catch-up! Historical players: Ronaldinho, Jô,

São Paulo: Commonly considered Brazil's best team, with 6 national leagues, 3 Libertadores and 3 Club World Cups, is in a drought of more than 10 years of not winning titles, except for Sul-Americana, a title which was not very important at the time. Can you bring them some titles?

Athletico Paranaense: A club who, although not considered one of the greats, wasn't a weak team as well. If you were to compare to an English team, it would be kind of West Ham. They had one title before their big restructuring, but since then, have won a Sudamericana and 1 Copa do Brasil (Brazilian Cup), an important honour. Their manager just left for Corinthians, so it is the perfect time for you to enter and step up by winning the Brasileirão, eclipsing their rivals Coritiba once and for all.

I would Suggest Anderlecht. That's my go to team always :)

They have very good youth facilities and some very good prospects. They have been the best team in Belgian history but since a few years they struggle because they have no money left :)

The challenge will be to get out of debt. You have quite a bit of players you can offload because you have too many and they are too mediocre. Also your coaching and scouting team sucks so you have a lot of work to do in that department.

They ask you to become champion, that'll be a challenge in itself because there's a couple of clubs who have a better team than you and you have basically no budget to spend. The only positive is that you don't have any European matches in the first season so your players will be fresh throughout

There are some exiting young prospects you can use: Marco Kana, Sambi Lokonga and Killian Sardella are the 3 best ones imo. Also Mohammed Guindoo looks nice

Hey all, looking for a team to do a 5-10 year save with.. I have at least every year eg last year Lyon, year before Juve

I like top division teams who aren't quite at the top, but have the potential to push for the title and then Europe within the first 3-4 years.. Looking so far at Napoli, Lyon, RB Leipzig?

13 hours ago, Corndog4669 said:

I’m looking for a club in Europe but not England, that’s suited to playing 3-5-2 and some good young prospects... need a project to really sink my teeth into 

What about with the team on your profile picture?