[FM20] Teams To Manage

BadAss88

What are the teams you are looking forward to manage in the new FM? Any ideas in mind?

I'm thinking about the following teams:

England: Leicester, Fulham, Sunderland, Chelsea, Man City
Spain: Atlético Madrid, Real Betis
Italy: Internazionale, Brescia
Germany: Dortmund, Hamburg
France: Marseille, Lyon, Caen
Belgium: Anderlecht, Antwerp
Portugal: Benfica, Sporting CP

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order

England:

Newcastle United- some good young signings this season, will be interesting to follow on from the Rafalution

Chelsea- I think with the transfer ban in place it will be a good chance to develop the youth in the team

Leeds United- get them back to Premier League

Spain: 

Barcelona- a front 3 of Griezmann, Suarez and Messi shall I say more

Valencia- always a good challenge, given the finances

Mallorca- a nice  challenge to keep the islanders in the top division.

Italy: 

Inter Milan - Icardi free- a new dawn for Inter

Parma - for the old romantic in me

Germany: 

Dortmund - can you go one better then last season- some fantastic signings here too

FC Koln - back in the big time

France: 

Lyon - the youth man the youth

Lille - having sold last seasons star players can you repeat the champions league and potential title challenge

Portugal: 

Sporting CP - one my favourite saves from Fm19 i'll be looking forward to going again with the lions

My main save will be with Sunderland, where I will implement a cantera philosophy inspired by athletic club

Other than that I have been thinking about doing a save with Austria Vienna, never played in that league before and it should be an interesting challenge to topple RB Salzburg 

I have just started a Cagliari save on the updated transfer deadline database. They have a really solid midfield trio of Radja Nainggolan, Marko Rog and Nahitian Nandez plus 2 really good strikers who are both beasts in the air in Pavoletti and Giovanni Simeone from Fiorentina who is a striker I really like. Perfect team for 5-3-2. 

I am going to try and build them up to be a major player in Italy and Europe for a month or so and then I will be treating myself to been a top team for a few weeks after that  which should take me up until FM20.

Edited by Carlf788

• 3 weeks later...

I always play with my tried and tested teams in every game as FM20 will probably be no different:

England: Brentford or Charlton Athletic (it's rare I'd manage an EPL team straight out the bat - Norwich City might be the exception)

Italy: Palermo, though Fiorentina had a poor season last year and destroyed Milan last night in the San Siro (and have Ribery!) so might be a good bet.

Spain: Athletic Club though I should try a Real Sociedad save

Netherlands: AZ or Feyenoord and hope you can edge out Ajax and PSV

Em 02/09/2019 em 15:03, BadAss88 disse:

Portugal: Benfica, Sporting CP

I feel offended. Where's my Porto?

Just kidding, but yes, FC Porto will be my first save like it always is, every FM version. Then, for FM20, I'm looking at Sevilla (really interesting transfer market they had), Chelsea (all those wonderkids with the transfer ban challenge) and Eintracht Frankfurt, cause I have an emotional connection with two of their forwards (André Silva and Gonçalo Paciência).

Famalicão is also being a complete surprise here in Portugal. Just promoted to the first tier, and so far in the first place of the league... already won over a title contender. Chapeau to them, and surely interesting to play with.

Edited by 99

England: Barnsley - Championship (For a limited time only, 1 season special, everything must go)

I thought I might just add to the conversation by suggesting Barnsley, other than bias there's quite a few reasons.

Barnsley have an exceptionally young squad with an average age of 22.6 according to transfermarkt, there is undoubtedly a lot of potential in this young squad but unfortunately you'll only have 2 Championship quality players at your disposal.

Profit is the bottom line at Barnsley and any offers you do receive for your players should be considered, then sell them anyway ;)

If you're looking for a real challenge in the English second division then this is the biggest of them all.

Your target, try and surpass Rotherham's record low points hall of 23 from the 2016/17 Championship season. But perhaps if you make a habit out of turning water into wine you might even try to target survival.

None of the 'big' teams really appeal to me although I usually go for a Man U save in the beta just to get a feel for the game mind you it will be tough with the current squad to get anywhere near the league title. Fancy trying to get my beloved Altrincham back into the conference but with them being Part-timers it will be tough to go any further up the ladder. I'm currently in the middle of a Salford to United/City save in 2019 which is proving to be enjoyable (not yet completed (Jose isn't getting sacked despite constantly under performing and Guardiola is going no where) but have got to Wolves in the Premiership via Millwall) so may do that again.

Bury surely. Will they be available?

Notts County is another interesting salvage job. 

FC Cincinnati stinks and the MLS is weird, which is all good.

Middelfart because making something out of a club with that name would be amusing. 

Hopefully Inter Miami will be playable or at least playable after the January update

Bilbao, Tenerife, Mallorca or Las Palmas in Spain

Monaco in France

Inter in Italy

Might try Gloucester City in the National League North as they are not currently playing in their home stadium due to flooding some years ago

6 hours ago, MWE said:

Might try Gloucester City in the National League North as they are not currently playing in their home stadium due to flooding some years ago

Yeah i read an article about them. Its got to be hard on  them... no proper home so all the training balls are in the blokes shed and the physio has her table in the back of the car they take all the stuff they need to play a game and after the game pack it all away and it starts all over the next game..

AS Roma will most likely be my first team. Although, I'm not sure what approach to go for?

A ruthless assembly of the best players as we canter the title and smashing  records. Ruthlessly replace players if a better option is available, win fast, win big. 

A moneyball approach.

Create a philosophy at a club, only recruit players who fit the mould and develop using the youth system and local recruits. 

Not sure who to go for on FM20. Been managing in Serie A the last two years with AC Milan on FM18 and Fiorentina on FM19.

Ive sorted myself a shortlist and need advise in choosing who to manage. Clubs are:-

Hamburg

Nottm Forest

Ipswich

Benfica

Velez Sarsfield

Steua Bucharest

Deportivo la Coruna 

Austria Vienna

Any advise will be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Moelyn5 said:

Not sure who to go for on FM20. Been managing in Serie A the last two years with AC Milan on FM18 and Fiorentina on FM19.

Ive sorted myself a shortlist and need advise in choosing who to manage. Clubs are:-

Hamburg

Nottm Forest

Ipswich

Benfica

Velez Sarsfield

Steua Bucharest

Deportivo la Coruna 

Austria Vienna

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Hamburg great choice if you got bored by the registration rules in Italy because you can sign as many foreign players you like.

Nottm Forest and Ipswich : English lower divisions are my favourite, so many historic teams and with 46 games it can be very fun and interesting run.

Benfica : I would choose them only if i would do a youth or homegrown challenge because otherwise i think it will be very boring. 

Velez : I haven't played in Argentina in a long time but it was a very fun save.  Definitely something different from European saves.

Steaua : Haven't played in Romania but i think with Steaua that your challenge will be to make them competitive in Europe. You also have some incredible players to start with (Coman, Nedeclu, Man and im pretty sure i forget another one)

Deportivo : Great team, Spanish league is not very interesting imo in fm, as far as registration i think you can have 3 foreign players but it's easy for South American players to get the Spanish nationality (2 years?)

Austria : Kind of the same with Steaua but i think that Austrian League will be more difficult at first.

Between Koln, Stuttgard, Schalke, HSV or Hertha who do you guys think will have the best youth and best youth facilities (gotta get those regens) on FM2020?
Schalke is the least interesting because it seems like an easy save to get them top4. Stuttgard looks the best with Koln on the middle terms but i still havent decided. 

13 hours ago, GiorgosK96 said:

Hamburg great choice if you got bored by the registration rules in Italy because you can sign as many foreign players you like.

Nottm Forest and Ipswich : English lower divisions are my favourite, so many historic teams and with 46 games it can be very fun and interesting run.

Benfica : I would choose them only if i would do a youth or homegrown challenge because otherwise i think it will be very boring. 

Velez : I haven't played in Argentina in a long time but it was a very fun save.  Definitely something different from European saves.

Steaua : Haven't played in Romania but i think with Steaua that your challenge will be to make them competitive in Europe. You also have some incredible players to start with (Coman, Nedeclu, Man and im pretty sure i forget another one)

Deportivo : Great team, Spanish league is not very interesting imo in fm, as far as registration i think you can have 3 foreign players but it's easy for South American players to get the Spanish nationality (2 years?)

Austria : Kind of the same with Steaua but i think that Austrian League will be more difficult at first.

Thanks for this. Pulling my hair out trying to chose..

England

Tottenham Surely a first game with spurs like with every new FM. Premier League is always a really challenging league. 

Netherlands

Ajax : I made a really long run in FM19 with Ajax (11 years). Will be hard to play without De Jong and De Ligt this year. 

Ukraine

Shakhtar : A good club to test the Brazilian wonderkids. Who will be the new Lincoln or Brenner this year ? 

Croatia

Dinamo Zagreb : I made a short but interesting run with them in FM19. They loose nobody this summer. Dani Olmo will be as promising as in FM19, i hope it will be the same with Majer, Marin, Moro... 

Austria

Red Bull Salzbourg

Szoboszlai and Haaland... Even if they loose so much talents since one year (Haïdara, Samassékou, Wolf, Schlager). It's a good opportunity to build the future

Edited by steevo55

Marseille in France will be a pretty tough challenge this year:

-No European competition, so no extra money

-Key player injured for 6 months

-Club in debt, no money to strengthen your squad

-Ageing players on high wages

-Really thin squad, with no bench, weak positions in the starting 11

-Quite important expectations from your board i guess

-And like every year an extremly dominant PSG

Definitely something interesting to look after if you want to create a dominance in Ligue 1 :)

For me, I'm definitely looking at one of these:

- Chelsea. Transfer embargo so they need to use youth and I'm a big fan of developing youth. It'll be interesting to see how well the youth holds up to the rest. With Abraham and Mount, you have some great talents to use in a Hazard-less era.

- Manchester United. Staring at how they go irl, I don't think this needs explanation.

- Real Madrid. Same as United.

- Inter. No Icardi but they definitely got in some good signings this year despite his leave. Will be nice to see if they can consistenly challenge Juventus.

- Monaco. Had a nice save with them on 17 and they only went downhill irl ever since. Will be a nice challenge to 'rebuild' them using a mix of experience and youth.

- Atletico Madrid. Griezmann left but other players came in his place like Joao Felix. Considering their finances on 19, it'll be a challenge to see if you can solidify yourself in a top 3 stranglehold with Real and Barcelona consistently.

Edited by RVP32

I often manage teams from the second/third tier in Spain. Especially teams with some kind of history (highly ranked in the All-time league table or so). On FM'20 I think it will be Salamanca since I've had saves recently with teams like Zaragoza, Racing Santander, Málaga, Las Palmas, Rayo Vallecano, Cádiz and Córdoba. 

On 02/09/2019 at 17:56, Falahk said:

Had a good run with them on fm11:

Boltonleague1.thumb.PNG.2bfd0a5590d9a6e0e3bb21dfe5a747ef.PNG

boltonformation.thumb.PNG.f449ba9ba0cc4ee27a5a17f01d766a39.PNG

Should be a proper challenge now, compared to back then

Damn, that starting eleven seems so much fun. I cant believe a front 3 of sturridge, elmander and chu won the PL. 

il y a 24 minutes, DoubleDenimSuccess a dit :

Thinking of starting off in Austria with Red Bull Salzburg for a few season in order to manage Haaland & then head off into the Bundesliga with a top half German side. I like the pathway from Austria into Germany.

You can switch to RB Leibzig when you manage to suceed with Salzburg

For those interested in the Dutch Eredivisie:

AZ might be the team to play this year. They are doing exceedingly well in real life by playing good football and getting good results. Their youth setup is currently paying off: three-four players from their youth setup might become future world beaters (Stengs, Boadu and possibly Wijndal and Koopmeiners). There's sufficient challenge in beating Ajax and PSV, keeping your players satisfied so they won't leave and developing into a Champions League worthy team.

That said, Ajax is always fun to play (although playing them without Frenkie and Matthijs is going to hurt!) and PSV also has a few very good talents to build your team around.

BETA save: I´m thinking about Chelsea, Arsenal,Sporting, Roma or Sparta Prague. Chelsea because I´m excited about developing their youngsters and Arsenal, Sporting and Roma haven´t won their leagues for a while. Also I would develope young players, especially in Rome. Last year I played for Sparta and while it was quiet easy to win the Czech league, it was challenging to make some progress in Europe.

LTS: Few years earlier I had so much fun with welsh Wrexham, when I got to Champions league signing welsh players only and I´m thinking about repeating it. Bolton or Sunderland should be fun too. I´m also looking to Germany to 2.Bundesliga to play for Sttutgart or HSV.

Other ideas: Monaco, Angers, Auxerre, Granada, Sevilla, Malaga, Augsburg, Schalke, AC Milano, Foggia, Austria or SK Rapid Wienna, 

5 hours ago, Chef Raekwon said:

For those interested in the Dutch Eredivisie:

AZ might be the team to play this year. They are doing exceedingly well in real life by playing good football and getting good results. Their youth setup is currently paying off: three-four players from their youth setup might become future world beaters (Stengs, Boadu and possibly Wijndal and Koopmeiners). There's sufficient challenge in beating Ajax and PSV, keeping your players satisfied so they won't leave and developing into a Champions League worthy team.

That said, Ajax is always fun to play (although playing them without Frenkie and Matthijs is going to hurt!) and PSV also has a few very good talents to build your team around.

Will you be playing as Ajax this year Chef or someone else?